Start by marking “Deception Cove (Rainshadow, #2; Harmony, #10)” as Want to Read:
Deception Cove (Rainshadow, #2; Harmony, #10)

Deception Cove (Rainshadow #2)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  2,621 ratings  ·  250 reviews
In the world of Harmony, Rainshadow Island is home to a mysterious preserve, secrets that have been kept for centuries, and a treasure worth killing for...

As a light-talent, Alice North has the rare ability to make things disappear, including herself—a gift that comes in handy during her magic act with her dust bunny Houdini.

Business mogul Drake Sebastian is day-blind, sin
Mass Market Paperback, 342 pages
Published August 27th 2013 by Jove

To ask other readers questions about Deception Cove, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deception Cove

Jacob Proffitt
This book is about par for the series. I wouldn't recommend starting with this one, and by the time you make it this far (even if you're only reading the Rainshadow series—of which this is the third), you know what to expect.

Alice is about standard, though a little bland, I thought. I liked that Drake had the psychopath ex. It's usually the girl with the crazy ex who just can't leave her alone and it was a nice twist. And the crazy ex was chillingly crazy in all the right ways, too.

Anyway, a goo
So ... there is probably a sentimental 1/2 star in that rating ... let's face it, if you are a fan of Jayne Ann Krentz/Jayne Castle's "Harmony" series, you are going to read this anyway. :-)

I've said it before: one of the things I like about JAK's work is that I know what to expect. I read her under Amanda Quick, JAK and JC, and she is very consistent. Her books are rarely high action, and the tension in the story is rarely between the characters who form the main couple. The stories are good, t
Olga Godim
I’m addicted to Jayne Castle. This paranormal romance, her latest, is more romance than paranormal, as everything else the author writes under all her pen names. It’s light, fluffy, and predictable. I mean predictable in a good way. I knew I would have fun reading it and I wasn’t disappointed.
The heroes Alice and Drake live on the planet of Harmony. Mutual need brings them together, and sexual attraction strengthens the bond between them. They face danger together, outwit an enemy together, sav
What do JK Rowling, JRR Tolkien, and JA Krentz (aka Jayne Castle) all utilize to terrify the good guys, and entertain readers? (view spoiler)

Deception Cove has all the elements of a rollicking fun, über-fantastical romantic suspense: gigantic mutated insects, dangerous alien technology, psychic crystals, a resilient orphaned heroine, invisibility (enjoyed her magic show for the children), a token gay couple portrayed -- as always -- as good guys, a tok
4 Stars

Jayne Ann Krentz it's one of my fave authors in PNR world. From the first moment when i read the first book in the Arcane Society i was captivated and sucked into it.

Deception Cove is the 2 book in the Rainshadow series and the 10 book in the Harmony series and it's fair to say that i like it and enjoy reading it.

The only thing that did not worked for me it was the connection and the chemistry between the characters, it wasn't there as in the other books.

One of the other things i noticed
When I saw this title on offer, for once in my reading life I actually stopped to think (rather than go on with my usual magpie cry: oh shiny!).
I had read one of Ms Jayne Anne Krentz's futuristic novel Shield's Lady and, honestly, I disliked it quite a lot.
But my inner magpie won the battle and here I am.

Like Shield's Lady, the idea and the futuristic trapping beyond the story were interesting enough. Here, though, the romance didn't overwhelm the plot nor destroyed it. Unlike in many romantic
Book two in the Rainshadow series and Book ten in the Harmony series Deception Cove is another great book by Jayne Castle (Jayne Ann Krentz). I love this series. I liked this series from the beginning. My favorites although are the St. Helens books Zinnia, Amaryllis, and Orchid. I had been waiting for her to tie in her Arcane series to both this series and her Regency books. But I am also glad she really didn't draw it out. This book I loved, I literally could not sleep until I finished it. I wi ...more
 photo tumblr_m8fol9z3pL1rc4yt6o1_500_zpsa050678e.gif

I wanted to get away from Jayne Castle for a while because I've read too many of her books back-to-back lately and they're all too similar to each other. But I had Deception Cove on my TBR list for a while so I read it the day it came out.

Nothing new under the sun here: Hero/heroine fall for each other pretty much from the get-go, there's a murder mystery to be solved and hero/heroine form a mutual admiration society.

Something that was somewhat new: Hero/heroine both had evil exes. The hero's
I can't wait to read this book !!!!!!
Aurian Booklover
Alice North has grown up as an orphan, something really unheard of in a world where family is the most important thing. There are two kinds of marriage, The Full Covenant Marriage, which is very difficult and expensive to get a divorce from, and the “try-out” marriage called the Marriage of Convenience. But when there are children, a Marriage of Convenience is automatically updated to a full CM.

Alice was working in the gift shop in a little museum in Crystal City, when a rich young man tried to
A.G. Lindsay
I was tempted to give this book another star just because Jayne Castle (aka Jayne Anne Krentz, aka Amanda Quick) DIDN'T mention the Arcane Society even once (but I didn't.) I enjoyed this fluffy, future-based paranormal romance about as much as any of her works that I've read recently, although I feel she's somewhat in a rut.

The hero and heroine are likeable. The mystery feels urgent (unfortunately, not as compelling as those in some of her past books.) The supporting characters are appropriatel
Jayne Ann Krentz does it again with another entry in her Jayne Castle Harmony series.
On the run from a possible murder charge and a powerful, vindictive woman, Alice North is down to her last dollar, has just been fired from her latest job and now she's in a dark alley facing off against two thugs who are attempting to change this from her worst day ever to her last day ever. Cue good Samaritan Drake Sebastian. After rescuing her, Drake reveals that he actually shares a connection with Alice, a

This was exactly what I was in the mood for -- light, fast-paced and familiar.

Alice "invisible girl" North was a fun protagonist--a street-smart survivor who knows how to roll with the punches. The hero, Drake Sebastien, was a pretty typical JAK hero, although less well developed than I would have liked; his sole purpose seemed to be to fall in love with/protect Alice. (Which is fine, though I prefer when characters have other interests as well.)

The villain Zara was delightfully narciss
While I enjoyed this title very much, it was probably more for nostalgia (Favorite Series!! Favorite Author!!) than the story or character building.

I found it to be a vaguely shallow effort with no real emotional depth or physical peril. It honestly read more like an underdeveloped novella than the latest installment in a favorite series by a favorite author.

On the plus side, I am gladdened by the continued absence of the dramatic "my mind to your mind" connections (that while interesting at f
The dust bunnies are always the best part of the story. I absolutely adored Houdini!

Harmony is one of those places that it is wonderful to visit, and I think I would want to live there. The story feels familiar and comfortable. There's no new ground broken, but it's fun and a pleasure to read.

It did take me a bit to remember what happened in the last book with the crystals. On the other hand, it was pretty obvious, although tons of fun, to see where the romance was going from the very beginning
The world of Harmony is home to secrets that have been kept for centuries, and treasure worth killing for... Alice North is on the run. The mysterious death of her husband is casting a shadow of doubt on her innocence and even with her ability to make herself disappear - literally - Alice is finding it hard to avoid detection. It comes as a relief when a stranger shows up at her door, offering money and protection - for a price. Drake Sebastian is on the hunt for two dangerous paranormal crystal ...more
Author: Jayne Ann Krentz writing as Jayne Castle
First published: 2013
Length: 342 pages
Setting: Rainshadow Island and Crystal City on the planet Harmony
Sex: Reasonably frequent but mostly fade to black.
Hero: Day-blind as a result of a lab accident. Is a light talent but it is never clear what that means in his situation.
Heroine: Was in a MoC but husband was murdered. Now on the run from his mother who thinks she did it. A light talent who can "shape" light to appear invisible.

The third book in th
Sheila Melo
The Mystery of Rainshadow Continues

The Mystery of Rainshadow Continues

DECEPTION COVE is the second in the Rainshadow series and the eleventh book in the Harmony series. Rainshadow is a strange island on the earth colony of Harmony. Even though this book is a futuristic book, it really is a paranormal romantic suspense with an overlayer of a earth colony that allows Castle to change the rules that would apply to your normal earth bound book. The book is not science fiction in the classic sense. I
Vannessagrace Vannessagrace
Alice North, a light-talent, and her dust bunny, Houdini, earned their living performing magic acts by making things disappear. Drake Sebastian was day-blind due to a laboratory accident but can see Alice whenever she disappeared. Together they go in search of two dangerous Old World crystals that caused a paranormal storm on Rainshadow Island.

Alice’s husband, Fulton, was murdered and her mother-in-law blamed Alice for Fulton’s death not only that, someone was out to murder Alice. Drake was hire
between 3.5-4 because as a JC/JAK book it doesnt disappoint.
Enjoyable read, light fluffy if not a bit too clean cut. The endings always give you the warm fuzzy feelings and there's always the dust bunnies. Recently I feel like a lot the books are "Begins with the buildup of the story and then suddenly we are at the end already" I wish she would flesh out the characters and the world a little bit more. Still I look forward to her books and can't wait for the next one!
Alice North has been on the run for what seems like forever, but it's actually only been since her disastrous attempt at a marriage. While on her so-called honeymoon, Alice learned that the man she married had been hiding some serious intentions and that her heritage was much fuller than Alice ever imagined. Like many on her planet, Alice is a talent but it seems like her talent is only for stagecraft. That is until a night were Alice and her dust bunny partner, Houdini, meet her destiny.

Drake S
The Bookwyrm's Hoard
On rereading Deception Cove, it's even less cohesive than I thought when I first reviewed it here. I still enjoyed it because I like the series, I liked Alice, and I love the dust bunnies (worth the price of admission all by themselves!) But it really doesn't hold up to her other books in terms of the plot. There's a lot of badly-needed explanation toward the end, which would have worked better if the information and discoveries had been woven in as the plot unfolded. I'm changing my personal ra ...more
Kari Chapman
This was a very decent book. The two main characters were interesting, their interactions were good and the story as a whole was solid. It wasn't an amazing book, but it was highly enjoyable. I felt it was better than the first book in the Rainshadow series. It's nice to see some other talents than the ghost hunters and trap tanglers that I'm seeing in the Harmony series.

I felt that the romance in this book was a lot better than the romance in the first book. I would have like to see a little b
Really enjoyed this one as I do all her books. The last couple esp have been good as it seems the author is focusing more on the couple and less on the technical aspects of her world, which I appreciate. Can't wait for next one!
I'm a fan of the author but not especially of the world of HARMONY like others reviewers. That said, I liked this book very much, the plot was very interesting and explained a lot of mysteries from previous books. The H/h were okay but I think Mrs. Krentz is rushing too much in the romance aspect, the characters don't interact as much as I would like. And in some books (Orchid, Amarylles, Zinia, Falling Awake ) you can feel the intense interaction/combination/made-for-each-other aspect but not i ...more
Alice North has a rare light talent. She was almost attacked by two men but between her talent and a man shooting the men, she was saved. The man is Drake Sebastian. He needs her to help him on Rainshadow Island, where Alice's first husband tried to kill her only to be killed himself. His mother has been after her ever since. She needs protection from her mother-in-law. Drake will help her. They enter into a marriage of convenience. They manage to get to the island but find that it is going craz ...more
Same old JAK. Nothing new here, but it's a cute story.
If you've liked her other Harmony books, then you'll like this one too.

Read August 28-29, 2013
Re-Read August 2014.
Deception Cove by Jayne Castle

Set on the world of Harmony events are reaching a crisis on Rainshadow Island. Two dangerous Old World crystals are missing and heating up the psychic factor on the reserve.

The owners and managers of the reserve enlist Dale Sebastian to investigate and try to fix the problem. Dale realizes he needs a light bender and finds one Alice North who is working a magic show with her dust bunny Houdini (who loves to surf and wears a red bow).

Together the two will enter the r
I absolutely loved this book. This series is written in the future where Aliens have built underground catacombs before leaving the planet, realising that they couldn't live on the surface. Alice meets Drake Sebastian, who's family is very powerful and has different powers. Alice has just lost her job as a magician with her dust bunny pet, Hoodini. Alice has a power that can help Drake save Rainshadow. She agrees to help him. Everything that happens is unexpected, captivating and it makes the bo ...more
  • Dream Eyes (Dark Legacy, #2)
  • The Mystery Woman (Ladies of Lantern Street, #2)
  • Heart Fortune (Celta's Heartmates, #12)
  • The Power of Two (2176, #4)

She earned a B.A. in History from the University of California at Sant
More about Jayne Castle...

Rainshadow (5 books)
  • Canyons of Night (Rainshadow, #0; Harmony, #8; Looking Glass Trilogy, #3; Arcane Society, #12)
  • The Lost Night (Rainshadow, #1; Harmony, #9)
  • The Hot Zone (Rainshadow, #3; Harmony, #11)
  • Siren's Call (Rainshadow, #4; Harmony, #12)