Start by marking “The Thing With Feathers” as Want to Read:
The Thing With Feathers

The Thing With Feathers

As the inhabitants of Cloverdale, Oregon, welcomed in the twentieth century, they were not unaccustomed to hard times and thorny situations.

Small communities banded together for protection and hope. Heroes and villains were often difficult to decipher.

When an itinerate Baptist preacher arrived with his baby daughter and a wife lost on the trail, there was no one prepared t
Published September 11th 2012 by Tate Publishing & Enterprises, LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Thing With Feathers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Thing With Feathers

Miranda Wood
Mar 13, 2013 Miranda Wood rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book. It was interesting from start to finish. I really found the way the charters interact with each other fascinating. I found that I could easily relate to them, and that they are refreshingly, real. I am looking forward to reading more of Anne's work.
Defiantly a 5 star read.
Monica
Jan 02, 2013 Monica rated it really liked it
The introduction of the book was confusing at first. As the part of the book, it indeed introduced some history for the story. I found myself bombarded with descriptions and retelling for an introduction. It wasn’t actually bad though it wasn’t that good either. I think if some parts were cut, it could help maintaining the attention of the readers. Honestly, I was tempted to put the book down because I felt a bit dizzy reading those in my e-reader. However, I also understand that as intro, some ...more
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
The Things With Feathers is not a light read and it has some serious issues discussed in it. When I first picked up the book for the tour I was excited because I said man I think I have read a poem with this title and when I looked back I saw that this is indeed a poem by Emily Dickinson called Hope is the things with Feathers. I read that poem again be fore reading the book and man was I totally blown away at how Anne has put everything together and has written a story that is both dark and dis ...more
Michael Dally
Oct 17, 2013 Michael Dally rated it really liked it
Won this through a goodreads giveaway and though it was very well written, in the end I can't say I actually enjoyed reading it. The characters were all very well crafted, as was the world they inhabited. The pacing of the story was also very good and kept me coming back to see what would happen next. The author makes you genuinely care about the main characters and the repeated tragedies they suffer. This is why in the end I can't say that I actually enjoyed this book as for many of the charact ...more
Malka
Sep 10, 2014 Malka rated it really liked it
The sign of a good book is if it has the ability to remove you from your current place and time and transport you into someone else’s world. Anne Sweazy-Kulju’s ability to transport the reader into a different era and place has the potential to transform you. Her characters are not your average beings with common place traits and thoughts. They are dark, they are broken, but most of all they are unapologetically human.

“The Thing with Feathers” is a dark and seething tale of love, and the daring
Gaele
Mar 17, 2013 Gaele rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Intertwining a poem from Emily Dickenson, “Hope is the Thing with Feathers” the author has taken difficult subjects and tackled them directly and without apology. Deeply dark and disturbing, with recurrent themes of brutalization in both physical and spiritual planes, these successive acts all are focused within a small isolated town. The never-ending litany of deaths and the endless barrage of difficulties were a direct juxtaposition to the underlying poem at the center of the story, yet provid ...more
TAMMY CUEVAS
Jan 31, 2013 TAMMY CUEVAS rated it really liked it
The good people of Cloverdale needed a minister, so when the recently widowed Preacher Bowman arrived with his infant daughter, they gladly took him in without question. But as his daughter Blair grew older, the preacher's efforts to hide his secrets would entangle the Marshall family and the entire community, leaving a trail of heartache and pain. But Blair would not completely give into the madness in her head, repeating the words of Emily Dickinson:

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perch
Based Press
Mar 13, 2013 Based Press rated it it was amazing
The Thing With Feathers is an unnerving journey through an Oregon town's history, or better yet, the people that inhabit the town. Evil lurks, it has a face, and it is known.

What the author does very well in The Thing With Feathers is likely to go unnoticed by many. The history is rich and detailed and she has an interesting way of weaving a little poetry subtlety into the mix. (I appreciate that.)

I rarely give 5 stars, but I wholeheartedly offer all five for The Thing With Feathers. I understa
Trish Jackson
Aug 26, 2013 Trish Jackson rated it really liked it
Dark but Expertly Crafted
Ironically, although the title comes from an Emily Dickenson poem about hope, this is a story about thwarted hopes and dreams.
The book is extremely well-written, and the author artfully sets the scene by weaving this dark tale around real historical happenings in Oregon in the 1930's and '40's.
Rape, incest, murder, brutalization, betrayal, physical and mental disease, and violent death all play their part in the lives of the very well-defined characters, who are so real
Pavarti Tyler
Apr 06, 2013 Pavarti Tyler rated it really liked it
Shelves: epicfiction
The Thing With Feathers by Anne Sweazy Kulju is an old fashioned multi-generational drama. Gritty and disturbing, Kulju looks at humanities darkest corners and finds the spark of beauty in even the worst situations. It’s hard to believe, but the bitter sweat ending of this book was neither surprising nor unsatisfying. In fact, you close feeling like yes, this is how this story ends. The title didn’t quite jive with me. I get where it’s coming from and the reference and reading the book it’s a l ...more
Anna's Herding Cats
A light easy read this is not. This was my first time reading Sweazy-Kulju and she's an excellent writer. She can weave together a story that will hold you captive but at the same time it's a story that will break your heart.

The story focuses on the life of Sean Marshall as he grows up, marries and falls in love during the 1930s and 40s in Oregon. He's a good, honorable man that does what he believes is right even if it hurts him. The journey he and his family go through over the years is just
LAWonder10
Feb 19, 2014 LAWonder10 rated it really liked it
If you are looking for calming, reflective novel, this is not it! It is a disturbing story of a sadistic man who was made a preacher in a small Oregon community. The people were very friendly and accepting of the new preacher and his daughter. The time period begins about 1928 and spans through to about 1945. The country went through some very trying times during those years and small farming communities were not exempt.

The story primarily centers around Preacher Bowman and his daughter, the Ma
Anne Sweazy-Kulju
Oct 08, 2012 Anne Sweazy-Kulju rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: Adults and mature teens
This Little Girl Has A Big Problem: Her Father Is A Monster

In 1927, on the desolate landscape of the Oregon coast, a young girl is pregnant. Her father, the town’s fire & brimstone preacher, is the brutal rapist. She needs a hero; she’ll get a house full—but can they save her, or must she save herself?

No good deed goes unpunished has never rung more true. Blair needs a hero, just as one providentially happens by. Sean Marshall is the youngest son of a wealthy dairy farmer. He stumbles upon a
Jessyca Garcia
Oct 15, 2015 Jessyca Garcia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, drama
I really enjoyed reading The Thing with Feathers by Anne Sweazy-Kulju. This story starts off in the 1920’s and is about the lives of Blair Bowman and Sean Marshall. Blair has been abused by her father since she was a little girl. Sean decides to sacrifice his own happiness in order to rescue Blair from him. The story then follows them through the years and the hardships that they both suffer.
The Thing with Feathers is made up of all the good stuff that keeps the reader from putting it down. I li
T.R. Heinan
Aug 25, 2013 T.R. Heinan rated it it was amazing
Recommended to T.R. by: Kenneth Weene
Anne Sweazy-Kulju proves that she knows her craft in this dark but intriguing story about the dark secrets of Cloverdale and the challenges faced by one man after his arrival in this Oregon town. I found the book a bit hard to get into at first, but am glad that I got past the first few pages. From that point on, I knew the story was being told by a truly talented writer in a well-constructed plot. The book tackles some dark topics, including rape, violence and incest, but Swazy-Kulju handles it ...more
Susan
Mar 29, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished
Anne pens "The Thing with Feathers" in an interesting but difficult plot for some, dealing with incest, rape and harsh violence in biblical times. Her characters were relate-able and were shown as actual human beings which interacted well with each other. I gripping story line that kept me reading.

This review is based on a complimentary copy from the author which was provided for an honest review.
Pamela Sweazy
Jan 06, 2014 Pamela Sweazy rated it it was amazing
Thought it was fantastic. A realistic but tragic story told as boldly as one could, with taste. And ZI also enjoyed the historic tidbits that the author so cleverly "lets you in on".
Carina Grossman
Jan 10, 2014 Carina Grossman rated it it was amazing
An emotional journey through triumph & tragedy that grips you & doesn't ever let you set it down. She beautifully illuminates the struggles of tormented souls at a visceral level that will linger.
Lisa Durkin
Lisa Durkin rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2014
Alia Eisele
Alia Eisele rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2017
Mitch
Mitch rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2015
Mary Lieberman
Mary Lieberman rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2017
Monica Brinkman
Monica Brinkman rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2014
Ari
Ari rated it did not like it
Nov 27, 2014
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2013
Elizabeth Church
Elizabeth Church rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2014
Pamela Sweazt
Pamela Sweazt rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2013
Lynay Dirden
Lynay Dirden rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2013
Roy Huff
Roy Huff rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2015
  • Crescent Lake
  • Hunts in Dreams
  • Dead Float (Cal Claxton, #2)
  • I AM the Other (Book 1)
  • Eliza's Shadow
  • The All-American King
  • Secret Breakfast: Fresh Fables
  • Robyn Hood: Wanted (Robyn Hood, Volume Two)
  • Marilyn Monroe: On the Couch
  • Imperfect Circles
  • Seattle on Ice (A Brick Ransom Adventure, #2)
  • Thin Air
  • SILVER: The Lost & Damned (The Amaranthe Chronicles, #2) (Silver, #2)
  • Fool's Journey
  • Finding What Is
  • The Chocolate Bar
  • Devil's Acre: A Russian Novel
Hi, I'm Anne Sweazy-Kulju. I am the daughter of a history teacher and granddaughter to an Irish yarn-spinner. I stir a few mediocre psychic abilities into my storytelling, to offer book lovers unique adventures in award-winning historical fiction.

AWARD UPDATE:
"Grog Wars, Dos" (unpublished manuscript) is a Finalist in the 2016 Publishers Weekly Book Life Prize for Fiction.
"Grog Wars" is a Quarter-F
More about Anne Sweazy-Kulju...

“I believe God expects us to fight for our lives... don't you?” 1 likes