Start by marking “How to Cook Everything Vegetarian” as Want to Read:
How to Cook Everything Vegetarian

How to Cook Everything Vegetarian (How to Cook Everything)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  10,711 ratings  ·  331 reviews
The ultimate one-stop vegetarian cookbook-from the author of the classic How to Cook Everything
Hailed as "a more hip Joy of Cooking" by the Washington Post, Mark Bittman's award-winning book How to Cook Everything has become the bible for a new generation of home cooks, and the series has more than 1 million copies in print. Now, with How to Cook Everything: Vegetarian, Bi
Published November 18th 2011 by John Wiley & Sons (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about How to Cook Everything Vegetarian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Cook Everything Vegetarian

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
This is an amazingly comprehensive book! My two favorite things about it are: 1)The TRUE simplicity of many of the recipes. Just a handful of ingredients you have on hand and can throw together for something healthy and tasty.
2) Many of the recipes can easily be converted to vegan. He even gives variations of the main recipe that include vegan choices.

This book has something for everyone. It's an excellent reference manual for much more than recipes.

It would be a fantastic gift for someone who d
Anna Wanderer
This is one of the most useful cookbooks on my shelf. I use it several times a week and have not yet made anything that I didn't like. It has helped me try new foods with confidence.
Carol
If I had to choose one vegetarian book to own or to give someone thinking about starting a vegetarian lifestyle, this would be it.

The title says it all!
·Karen·
Everything? EVERYTHING!
No luscious photographs, but useful illustrations of techniques. This is a reference work that assumes (quite rightly in our case) that you are prepared to make that little bit of effort and make your own tortellini, wonton skins, kombu dashi, chapatis - ooh and a recipe for dosas, luv'em, and even how to make cheese. But Bittman aims at those who are unfamiliar with basic cooking techniques too, with fine drawings that show what to do with a green pepper, or a tomato, for
Kristine
You don't have to be a vegetarian to love this book. Plenty of omnivores have given this book rave reviews. I've been cooking from this book for my blog, www.theglobalkitchen.blogspot.com and everything I have made has been fabulous. I love that Bittman gives a lot of variations and twist to his recipes and overall they're easy and healthy. I do use less oil than he does though.
Phillippa Wightman
My boyfriend and I religiously cook from this book - we have used it for seven meals this weekend already!

It's winter here so rather than go out for dinner we invite our friends to come over for some vegetarian fare. As a rule all recipes come from this book.

They say that when you have guests you never cook something that you haven't made before. Well we have broken this rule and every dish we make is a first for us, we typically make an entree, main and desert. Our guests seem impressed and t
Sara
Nov 16, 2007 Sara rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves to cook - vegetarian or not
This book is useful not just for the recipes, but for the illustrations and instructions on how to chose, prepare and cook various types of vegetables. He addresses various staples of the vegetarian diet with brief introductions followed by recipes and tips.

Non-vegetarians could find this book very useful, in expanding their fruit and vegetable repertoire as well as just adding to their stock recipes for common ingredients. Plus, not every recipe here is for a main dish, so many of his ideas wo
Jen
Okay, I'm only through the first 100 pages of this nearly 1,000 page cookbook, and I'm sold. I think this is the "Laurel's Kitchen" for the 21st century, and will proudly sit on my bookshelf next to it. Bittman's writing is in an easy, conversational, been there-done that level that doesn't make you feel either lost if you've never cooked anything before or talked down to if you've been a cook (or a vegetarian) for years. Recipes are coded for Fast, Make Ahead or Vegan and each basic recipe has ...more
Inder
This a great basic cookbook!

My only issue is whether I need this giant tome in ADDITION to Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. There's a lot of overlap, and the answer is probably no. I prefer Deborah Madison's format and style slightly, but the books are similar in many ways. The clincher: I already own Deborah Madison's book.

Still, I could totally see living out of this book, much as I already do with Deborah Madison. This is a great resource for old and new vegetarians alike,
Julie Wiley
Nov 21, 2008 Julie Wiley rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
It's one of those books that everyone should have up on their shelves. (Even though he's given away all of his cookbooks because he doesn't have room in his kitchen.) It also doubles as doorstop. This sucker is heavy. I love Bittman's "keep it simple and real" attitude. I made his hummus this week as well as banana blueberry muffins which was a combination of a few of his muffin recipes. Adding buttermilk, may I add, makes them heavenly.

There was blog posting of Mark's kitchen. It made me laugh
Scott
This is a variation on Bittman's more famous cookbook. We have been eating less meat, but simply removing meat from a recipe doesn't always work. I picked up this cookbook to get some ideas for more meatless dishes. It is very nice. There are a few things I really like about the cookbook. The first is that it contains more than recipes. It talks about how to buy, store, prepare, and cook many types of fruits and vegetables which is pretty useful. The thing that I like more is that Bittman provid ...more
Eve
Jan 01, 2008 Eve rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who cares about what they eat
I am a Bittman fan and I love the original How to Cook Everything. For a man who advises sauteeing split peas in bacon fat, this book is an about face. I have made a quite a few recipes that are easy and understandable.

I particularly like his intro where he discusses how the general trend is toward less meat and how that is good for you--health, environment, etc.
Martha
I really want to like this book. I am so sick of cooking the same food all the time. I love the charts, and how most recipes have easy additions/substitutions mentioned. But I've prepared 3 things now (tomatoes and soy, Zucchini soup, and black bean chili) and they were all just ok. Edible, but not very tasty.
Will keep trying, but that's not a good sign.
Anashuya Kakati

This book is literally god-sent for anyone who wants/has to cook vegetarian food and knows little about it. I love to cook but as my husband is a vegetarian I feel the number of experiments I can run are fairly limited. But after buying this book, I can feel myself becoming a better cook and my dinner table looks much more interesting. Even the husband compliments much more frequently.

The best things I liked about this book: The many side tips and explanations regarding how to cut various vegeta
Steven Peterson
This is an interesting cookbook. Mark Bittman, who has created other cookbooks, takes a shot at a vegetarian cookbook. One nice wrinkle--he shows Vegans how they can adapt some of these recipes to their needs. He begins by noting that (Page ix) "Increasingly, Americans are becoming `flexitarians,' a recently invented word that describes both vegetarians who aren't that strict and meat-eaters who are striving for a more health conscious, planet friendly diet." He follows up by noting, simply, tha ...more
Krysten
As a sheer reference volume, this book is amazing.

My experience with Mark Bittman is very limited. I might never have heard of him if I didn't work in the cookbook section at a bookstore. As much as I love food, I am just never in the know with this sort of thing. So I guess I'm not sure what Bittman is known for and how other people see him. I just know that he's popular.

I definitely appreciate his no-bullshit attitude toward cooking. His recipes are simple and straightforward, using basic in
Vanessa
This book is a great book for beginner cooks. It's very good for generic cooking advice rather than recipes. There are a large number of recipes, which cover everything that I can think of that new vegetarians should know. They're designed so that the cook can embellish them as they grow more comfortable and experienced.

It avoids my three biggest annoyances with vegetarian cookbooks: it isn't a "diet" cookbook, it does not put too much emphasis on baking, and a large number of the recipes can be
Melissa
I am giving my copy of this book away today at a book swap. Why? Not because I want to spread the love of vegetarian cooking or lifestyle. It's purely selfish. I've been torn about getting rid of this book because (a) I have many friends who swear by Mark Bittman's recipes and (b) there are SO many recipes in here there has to be something that I can get to work, and (c) there is actually some good advice in this book about basic things like how to blanch various vegetables.

However, on point to
Chelsea
The absolute best cookbook around. I love the way the author creates a conversation with each recipe. "If you have this ingredient it could replace this other one" and so on. The ingredients are simple for the most part, and usually items I already have on hand. So many cookbooks call for tons of ingredients--half of which I've never heard of, let alone be able to purchase in my area. Plus, most of the recipes call for only a handful of ingredients. --oh just get the book already!
I love this one
Charity
This is my food bible. I use it primarily for technique and tips rather than recipes, but it's the best all-around vegetarian cookbook I've ever found. Mark Bittman is my hero.
Erin
I definitely haven't read every page of this book - it's enormous! I had seen this book many times at my co-op and often scoffed at the title. I thought it would be a bunch of recipes that normally call for meat, but were altered with the simple removal of meat.

I was wrong. It's a great tool book and guide for new cooks or people always wanting to learn more. He offers tips on how to build soups and how to experiment in your own kitchen.

I'm always on a quest to find cookbooks I find useful enoug
Stephen Shelton
Dec 28, 2014 Stephen Shelton is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Great Christmas gift from my children. More than just a recipe book, it is a highly readable reference on everything cooking. I love the style and almost begin to believe I can cook well when I read him.

I have read Bittman's VB6 and found his down-to-earth philosophy refreshing and enlightening. This book builds on his moderation-based approach with the idea of a "flexitarian" diet. I retired three years ago and began cooking. I still have little skill and less confidence. But I am again encoura
Jessica
I don't usually bother adding cookbooks here. But I love this one so much, I can't bring myself to return it to the library. Something about Bittman's approach really works for me; he explains cooking concepts in ways that make me feel confident instead of intimidated. The recipes I've tried (like beer-glazed beans, blue cheese apples and butternut/parmesan gratin) are easy and yummy. I'm going to have to pony up the $35 for my own copy.
Agathafrye
OH MY GOD, THIS COOKBOOK RULES. I have a crush on Mark Bittman, and this book just affirms my rockstar feelings for him. He talks about everything from what you should have in a well stocked kitchen, what ingredients you should always have on hand, how to use a knife and other kitchen equipment, etc. etc. And, of course, the recipes. I just bought this today, and I can already tell that it's going to be my most used cookbook.
Elaine Nelson
Got from the library, made a couple of things, and it was so good that I went out and bought a copy. Have now finally made crispy breaded veggies that don't suck. (The secret, as far as I can tell, is refrigerating after breading.) Fantastic quiche. Great pitas. Pretty sure a copy should come with every CSA subscription. (Setting "date finished" to make sure it shows up where I want in my reading history.)
Sara
I am a Mark Bittman worshipper. There, I said it. This is my go-to cookbook for pretty much everything even though we aren't vegetarian. We make TONS of side dishes from this tome and sometimes modify slightly to include chicken or fish. I find all of his cookbooks so approachable and easy, but the food is so tasty and complex. Can't wait to dig into VB6!
Carrie
This is my husband's go to cookbook. I have used it a bit, but am not the main cook at our house. I can say two things: (1) as a person not adept at cooking, this cookbook is easy to use and has tons of useful information, but more importantly (2) the recipes are wholesome and DELICIOUS. Would highly recommend to all: vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike.
Dogdaysinaz
This is my "what do I do with this ingredient" book--AFTER I reference How to Cook Everything. If you only need one, get How to Cook Everything. I got them together as a set and this is a good "backup" but, for me, I have to make too many modifications around my allergies to wheat, soy, dairy and eggs.
Sarah Marie
This is my go-to vegetarian bible. What I love is the way it is organized - by ingredient instead of course. So if you go to beets -- it will describe what it is, the different ways to cook it, and then list recipes using it. Genius!

Everything I've made from this book has been delicious. And easy. And did I mention delicious?

My favorite book by this author. Perfect for those looking to eat more vegetables, whole grains, and legumes.

There is a whole section on tofu and fake meats, but tofu is t
Barb
I wanted more info on beans ~ Yikes! Bittman devoted almost 100 pages to beans. Good information. The recipes I've tried sounded good, but haven't tasted as great as the description.
Vegan 2 25 Oct 23, 2008 07:59AM
  • Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone
  • Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian: More Than 650 Meatless Recipes from Around the World
  • Passionate Vegetarian
  • Vegan with a Vengeance: Over 150 Delicious, Cheap, Animal-Free Recipes That Rock
  • The Vegetable Dishes I Can't Live Without
  • A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen: Easy Seasonal Dishes for Family and Friends
  • Super Natural Cooking: Five Delicious Ways to Incorporate Whole and Natural Foods into Your Cooking
  • Vegan Yum Yum: Decadent (But Doable) Animal-Free Recipes for Entertaining & Everyday
  • Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker: 200 Recipes for Healthy and Hearty One-Pot Meals That Are Ready When You Are
  • The Vegan Table: 200 Unforgettable Recipes for Entertaining Every Guest at Every Occasion
  • Fresh Food Fast: Delicious, Seasonal Vegetarian Meals in Under an Hour
  • Love Soup: 160 All-New Vegetarian Recipes from the Author of The Vegetarian Epicure
  • How It All Vegan!: Irresistible Recipes for an Animal-Free Diet
  • Moosewood Restaurant Simple Suppers: Fresh Ideas for the Weeknight Table
  • Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook
  • 660 Curries
  • Lord Krishna's Cuisine: The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking
MARK BITTMAN is one of the country's best-known and most widely respected food writers. His How to Cook Everything books, with one million copies in print, are a mainstay of the modern kitchen. Bittman writes for the Opinion section of New York Times on food policy and cooking, and is a columnist for the New York Times Magazine. His "The Minimalist" cooking show, based on his popular NYT column, ...more
More about Mark Bittman...

How to Cook Everything (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • How To Cook Everything: Simple Recipes for Great Food
  • How to Cook Everything: The Basics: Simple Recipes Anyone Can Cook
  • How to Cook Everything Fast: A Better Way to Cook Great Food
  • How to Cook Everything: Bittman Takes on America's Chefs
  • How to Cook Everything: Quick Cooking
  • How to Cook Everything: Easy Weekend Cooking (How to Cook Everything Series)
  • How to Cook Everything Summer
  • How to Cook Everything Thanksgiving
  • How to Cook Everything Christmas
  • How to Cook Everything: Holiday Cooking
How To Cook Everything: Simple Recipes for Great Food Food Matters: A Guide to Conscious Eating with More Than 75 Recipes VB6: Eat Vegan Before 6:00 to Lose Weight and Restore Your Health . . . for Good The Best Recipes in the World The Food Matters Cookbook: 500 Revolutionary Recipes for Better Living

“each egg, substitute 3 (level) tablespoons of soft silken tofu and 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder. If tofu isn’t a good choice for you, for each egg, mix together 1 teaspoon cornstarch, 3 tablespoons neutral oil, like grapeseed or corn, and 1/4 teaspoon baking powder. Stir either substitution mixture together with a fork until smooth and add it when the recipe calls for the egg.” 0 likes