Start by marking “Love, Lies and Liquor An Agatha Raisin Mystery (Agatha Raisin, #17)” as Want to Read:
Love, Lies and Liquor An Agatha Raisin Mystery (Agatha Raisin, #17)

Love, Lies and Liquor An Agatha Raisin Mystery (Agatha Raisin #17)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  2,376 ratings  ·  141 reviews
Cotswold detective Agatha Raisin lies to herself, hoping skimpy lingerie will suit her ex's surprise holiday. He lies to himself, remembering childhood heyday of Snoth-on-Sea as sunny, now a wreck in a cold windy storm. Aggie threatens obnoxious guest Geraldine, later found strangled in Aggie's lost scarf. Aggie can try drink, but needs all her friends when bodies pile up.
Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Published August 28th 2007 by Minotaur Books (first published September 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Love, Lies and Liquor An Agatha Raisin Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love, Lies and Liquor An Agatha Raisin Mystery

I can’t believe I’m already up to book #17 in this series. After the first two, I wasn’t sure how long I’d continue because Agatha wasn’t a very nice person. Now, although she’s still rough around the edges, she has won me over. There’s just something about her that makes me care about her. I still wish she didn’t act like a love struck teenager and I still wish people didn’t carry on like she’s almost 100 years old instead of her mid-50’s. But, she’s amusing and, for the most part, an intellige ...more
She is not nice in the conventional sense and she has none of the homemaking qualities one associates with good village women. And yet there is something about her insecurities, her imperfect pitch in the hum of relationships, and her dazzling self-involvement (coupled with almost no self-awareness) that makes her a wonderful protagonist in the perfect-picture setting of these novels. M.C. Beaton again develops a believable and funny cast of characters, some of whom are quite disposable, and set ...more
It appears that Agatha has put on her big girl panties and she is no longer going to be ex-husband James Lacey’s doormat. He cannot suddenly appear in her life and on a moment’s notice assume that she is going to drop everything and follow him on a whim.

OK, well maybe after this one trip.

After seventeen books, we all know Agatha pretty well, she puts on a strong face, but deep down she is desperate for a man’s attention, even if the said man of the moment does not treat her very well. This time
Tried this series after much time away, since the main character is not really very likeable.

Unfortunately, I've found she really is not better than I expected. She is not static - she has developed, but in baby steps. It's very disappointing.

Maybe, however, this is how life really is. In reality, we all evolve, grow, expand in baby steps, and I haven't realized this yet and am taking it out on this character.

Agatha Raisin is very self-centered and selfish character. Everything revolves around
Oh my...I'm not sure where to start. The title is great. Best thing about the book actually, even though I failed to see any connection to the dreadful story starring the stout little temptress Agatha. Oh one was tempted. The entire book wasted valuable story time with Agatha and James' pathetic relationship. The relationship couldn't even really be classed as "on again/off again" because it was never turned on. Oh, and the bit about Agatha's "filmy" underwear. That was just sad. Agath ...more
Bob Schmitz
M.C. Beaton has written another series about a murder solving policeman, Hamish Macbeth, that I have enjoyed so I tried Agatha Raisin. I didn't enjoy it as much. Agatha seems to just hang around and get captured by the bad guys who try to kill her, she escapes and solves the murder. She is so passive. Also her relationship with men is rather odd. She chases after one in particular that don't treat her very well. I did find the descriptions of the boorish, self-centered behavior of the men around ...more
I enjoyed this book lots of mystery :) Alot happened in this book only took me a day to read i couldn't put the book down wanted to know what happened next.

This was another wonderful read. Agatha has been talked into going on vacation by her ex-husband, James Lacey. He won't tell her where as he wants it to be a surprise so she packs for warm weather and southern breezes only to find herself in an English seaside town that had seen better days...years ago. James has childhood memories of when the town was in its prime. The hotel is seedy, the food inedible, the sea has eroded the beach and at high tide, waves splash water on the front of building
I had tried to read an Agatha Raisin mystery once before, and found Agatha to be such an unappealing character, I stopped reading. This time, I stuck it out to the end. I was very disappointed. It’s hard to believe that this is the same author as the Hamish Macbeth mysteries, which are so very entertaining.

Agatha runs a detective agency and, in this adventure, is a suspect in a murder case. Not surprisingly, if only to clear her own name, Agatha calls upon the resources of her agency to solve th
Peter Auber
I listened to this on a road trip with my mother, and neither of us were very big fans. The mystery was fairly shallow, none of the characters were very likable, and all in all, it just wasn't a great read. I also listened to the first in the series, and thought it was okay, so maybe this was just a bad one. But I think I've given up on Agatha Raisin.
I enjoy reading the Agatha Raisin mysteries--I'm sure it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I have to agree with the review by "Patricia": "there is something about her insecurities, her imperfect pitch in the hum of relationships, and her dazzling self-involvement (coupled with almost no self-awareness) that makes her a wonderful protagonist..."
This book seems somewhat interesting to me. The reason why I felt that way is because there were mysteries involved in this story. For example, when Mrs. Jankers got murdered, Agatha was arrested for owning a scarf that was used to murder Mrs. Jankers, so Paul called in a lawyer to help her win the case. Afterwards, Agatha and James were forced to investigate the crime scene and not leaving town until the crime scene is solved. I liked the fact that there were a fight between Mrs. Jankers and A ...more
#17 in the Agatha Raisin series. More of Agatha's on-again, off-again relationship with ex-husband James. Some activity for her budding detective agency.

Agatha Raisin goes on a holiday with James - to the rundown seaside town where James had spent pleasant times in his youth. A loud and obnoxious woman is strangled with Agatha's scarf and Agatha determines to find the killer. The members of Agatha's detective agency pitch in, as does Sir Charles. Her relationship with James in on-again, off-agai
An Odd1
"New Queen of Crime" claim belongs there on back flap. She has a knack for funny characters, lines, and situations, but not lyrical prose, eccentrics of class conscious Britain, and relevant titles of true Queen, Agatha Christie. Unfortunately, like Christie plots descended into excess complexity, so deteriorates Beaton. Why add kingpin, foreign money launderers, pro assassins, multiple mixed motivations, many killers? KISS is an acronym I learned decades ago. The conclusion is unsatisfactory, e ...more
Ive read all the Agatha Raisin books ... ..And although this isn't one of the best, it still, in parts for me, has some outstanding laugh out loud moments.

We see the return of the forever elusive James Lacey ..but from this a stronger Agatha evolves.

All the regulars make an appearance Mrs Bloxby even gets involved in the "case" .

Its a good entertaining light read with a murder mystery thrown in ...

This is one of those stories whereby you are taken away from the comfortable village surroundings o
Heather Boustead
Love, Lies and Liquor
Agatha Raisin Mystery Series Book Seventeen
By M.C. Beaton

Agatha Raisin decides to go on a holiday with her ex-husband but when he takes her to his favorite childhood retreat and finds the town has become dilapidated and crude they soon decide to venture elsewhere. Until a woman is found strangled on the beach by Agatha’s scarf and Agatha becomes determined to find out who killed this woman.

I have recently fallen in love with Cozy Mysteries, a subgenre of crime fiction where
"... remember, your amateur efforts are impeding a police investigation," Says Detective Inspector Barret to Agatha Raisin when she tries to assist in finding the murderer of another guest at the hotel she is, unwillingly, staying at in the run-down resort of Snoth-on-Sea.

Later on when her friend Detective Sergeant Bill Wong, back home at their village of Carsley, was watching some television footage of Agatha at a press conference his view was "he knew of old that Agatha blundered around cases
Helene Harrison
Review - This book had all the characters we love, and more. Agatha's love affairs do get on my nerves, but they also provide a lot of the humour in the books, so it's all good. I also love Agatha running her own detective agency, as I love to see how the different personalities work together. I do prefer the stories which take place in Carsely, but this one was one of the exceptions, because it was well thought out, and all of the characters came across very 3D and real, which is unusual when t ...more
Our heroine is as usual her adorable self. Bumbling along until a murder happens except this time Aggie is a suspect. Cue big investigation, a little bit of eye opening and you have a proper Aggie mystery. I love these books, they are easy to read, sometimes funny, sometimes sad and I have never guessed correctly who is the culprit till near the end and generally im good at that.

Love them, can't wait till I find the next one.
Agatha Raisin seems to be really at loose ends in this book. She can't settle on whether she still fancies her ex-husband James Lacey or she has had enough of his behavior toward her. For his part, whenever she ignores him, that is when his interest is piqued. The tales of thievery entwined with the various murders combined with all the characters and places make for quite a twisted tale.
I have a love/hate relationship with Agatha Raisin however I keep coming back because I get such a kick out of her. Donada Peters does such a good job narrating this series and that is the biggest plus as far as I am concerned. I also enjoy reading a cozy that has an age 50 plus protagonist. I can relate to Agatha's complaints about getting old:)
Agatha Raisin goes off on holiday with her ex-husband James with dreams of a warm, sunny locale and romance. Instead he surprises her with rainy, dilapidated Snoth-on-Sea, which has changed a great deal since James visited it as a child. This might put an end to Agatha's enduring obsession with James. Agatha's adventures are entertaining as always.
Another fun romp with Agatha Raisin. this time, James Lacey takes her to a seaside town where he enjoyed childhood holidays. It turns out to be a terrible place. Before they can get out of the town, a murder is committed and Agatha is accused. How she and James treat this situation and their relationship (or lack thereof) makes for a fun and exciting read.
This series just does not disappoint as far as a little escape. Working my way through the books, I smile each time Agatha uses the word truculent, for it must be in each book. I personally don't know anyone who uses it. But as a living character myself, I am sure I say a certain word or phrase a lot too. It makes Agatha more human.
Another great Agatha Raisin mystery, which I like mostly because of the imperfection of most of the characters, headed by that most imperfect detective, Ms Raisin, herself. You'll have to read one to understand what I mean and I'm sure you'll either hate these books, or become addicted to them as I have. I tend to read them in one day.
Kate Millin
This was a less irritating than other books in this series as most of the time Agatha managed to resist her feelings for James - although she still manages to put herself into some dangerous situations. These are a quick read- but sometimes the story is lost to Agatha's feelings of being inadequate, which frustrate me.

Agatha Raisin thinks she's in for a treat when her ex-husband James Lacey invites her on holiday, but - horror! - his idea of an idyllic break is the small, run-down resort of Snot
Agatha continues to be a surprise throughout this installment of MC Beaton's Agatha Raisin series. It is excitig to watch Agatha, in her retirement, continue to mature in her friendships and within her own shell. It was fun to have Mrs. Bloxby join in doing some low-key detecting. I hope to see more of her in future installments! There wasn't much from Bill Wong or Roy this time around. But the addition of Harry and some of the others who now work with in Agatha's office are adding a lot to the ...more
Love all of M. C. Beaton's series titles starring both British ex-ad woman Agatha Raisin and Scottish constable Hamish Macbeth. This one features Agatha at her amateur-sleuthish best.
Massanutten Regional Library
Holly, Village patron, July 2015, 4 stars:

Anyone who has seriously never read an Agatha Raisin book by M.C. Beaton, MUST! Such a great book with surprises in every chapter. :)
  • Hasty Death
  • Murder at the Academy Awards: A Red Carpet Murder Mystery
  • A Nice Class of Corpse (Mrs. Pargeter, #1)
  • The Tale of Hill Top Farm (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #1)
  • Bloodline (Natasha Blake Ancestor Detective, #2)
  • Damsels in Distress (Claire Malloy, #16)
  • Frog on His Own
  • Trouble at the Treasury (Capital Mysteries #7)
  • Damsel in Distress (Daisy Dalrymple, #5)
  • Aunt Dimity's Christmas (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #5)
  • Evanly Choirs  (Constable Evans, #3)
  • Q Is for Duck: An Alphabet Guessing Game
  • Dinner at Mr. Jefferson's: Three Men, Five Great Wines, and the Evening that Changed America
  • Getting Old Is to Die For (Gladdy Gold, #4)
  • The Sea Serpent and Me
Like her on Facebook!

Learn more on her website!

Watch a video of Marion discussing the casting of the AGATHA RAISIN Christmas special

Marion Chesney Gibbons

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John
More about M.C. Beaton...

Agatha Raisin (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • The Quiche of Death (Agatha Raisin, #1)
  • The Vicious Vet (Agatha Raisin, #2)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage (Agatha Raisin, #5)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Terrible Tourist (Agatha Raisin, #6)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wellspring of Death (Agatha Raisin, #7)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wizard of Evesham (Agatha Raisin, #8)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Witch of Wyckhadden (Agatha Raisin, #9)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Fairies of Fryfam (Agatha Raisin, #10)
The Quiche of Death (Agatha Raisin, #1) Death of a Gossip (Hamish Macbeth, #1) The Vicious Vet (Agatha Raisin, #2) Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3) Death of a Cad (Hamish Macbeth, #2)

“Ah, when love dies, women lose two and a half inches in height.” 10 likes