The Great Deception

The Great Deception

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  13 reviews
A sweeping epic tale of courage, drama and passion, looking at the experiences of Australians in World War Two.

New South Wales, 1947: When Shelly Wareing's husband Cole vanishes into the night, leaving only a note to say that he will come back no matter how long it takes, Shelly is bewildered. What could be the reason for his sudden disappearance? Searching for clues, Shel...more
Published October 10th 2012 by Headline Book Publishing (first published September 3rd 2012)

The Book Thief by Markus ZusakAgainst The Tide by John F. HanleyThe Last Boat by John F. HanleyAtonement by Ian McEwanThe Luck of the Weissensteiners by Christoph Fischer
WWII Historic Fiction
374th out of 374 books — 215 voters
The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCulloughA Town Like Alice by Nevil ShutePicnic at Hanging Rock by Joan LindsayCloudstreet by Tim WintonThe Secret River by Kate Grenville
Historical fiction: Australia
82nd out of 91 books — 34 voters

More lists with this book...

Lauren Murphy

The Great Deception is a historical fiction novel that explores Cole Wareing’s experience as an Australian undercover agent during World War II. I’d like to start by saying there’s a lot about this book I really loved and there’s some aspects that just didn’t work for me.

The Great Deception is divided into three parts across two time periods. Part one introduces the couple, Shelly and Cole who have been married for nearly two years and reside on an isolated farm in the NSW Southern High...more
Amy
A great concept..British secret agent behind enemy lines pretends to be a Nazi SS Officer to send information back to the troops. It could have been riveting, but the writing just fell flat. The characters had no depth, the love story/triangle seemed forced, and the end wrapped up a bit too quickly and neatly for me. Where was the description of his emotional trauma watching (and being part of of) sending innocent Jews to their deaths while under cover? Why would the woman he loved just jump in...more
Maxine
Oh this book is too long and too detailed. The story line is bogged down by unnecessary facts. It is a good story line and could have been a great book but about a third of the way in I found myself skipping paragraphs and then pages ( never a good sign). I just wanted to get on with it.... There could have been so much more about the relationship between Cole and Shell but the story became quite cumbersome relating the war section. Chamber's appears to have attempted to interweave historical ch...more
Paula Hodgson
I couldn't be bothered finishing this book. It was espionage fiction for dummies. Every bit of the plot seemed to be telegraphed, and then emphasised, and the conversations didn't ring true for having taken place in character and in German.

Not subtle enough, not clever enough. It was hard to care about Shelly.

2 stars because it began well enough, and it was obviously researched.

It could have been so good.
Helen Goltz
This is a post-war, sweeping tale that keeps you guessing and takes you from Australia to Europe. I looked forward to catching up with the characters each time I picked up the book, and I liked the heroes. But for my personal tastes it was a little corny and neatly finished-off. But, if you are keen for a little escapism and to have a big summer read, then you will enjoy Joy's book.
Jennie
I enjoyed reading this book every night before bed so it took me longer than usual to read but this was a good pace as the story was quite detailed. My only complaint about this book was I found the repetitive use of the phrase " the shadow of dread" very annoying and I think it's overuse did take away from the last third of the book for me. Otherwise a very good read.
Erika
Despite previous comments of the book being slow in parts I thought it was great. The right amount of detail needed to understand the characters fully. It was really well written and atmospheric and with a sense of intique and adventure. This is one I'll be recommending to my.library members.
Helen
Couldn't believe my luck when I found this new book in the library - I really like war stories so this one was great. A great mystery story set after WW2 with flashbacks to the war. Keeps you guessing and well written. Hope the author has written others.
Jay
I failed to be engaged by this as I didn't warm to the characters. Perhaps I have read too much about war and of people whose stories grabbed me and wouldn't let go. Australian examples are biographies of Nancy Wake and the three books written by Barry Heard.
Barbara Pincham
I enjoyed this book but it was very hard to get into. The war part dragged out a bit and it would have been nice to know more about Cole and Shelli's life together. Both before and after the war.
Steve Wilson
GGood, original story. Main characters were well developed. Could have mad more action given the subject and the characters' dialogue was a littel lofty/idealistic at times.
Coppermama
The story could have been great. I loved the premise but I felt like it overexplained every intent.
Cheryl Hill
Kept me turning the pages.
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Dianne
Dianne marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Joy Chambers is an author, company chairman and a business woman. In 1990 she began writing; this could have been called her fifth career, for until that time she had combined actor and television panelist with that of business partner and wife of media mogul, Reg Grundy. A lover of history and never idle, Joy writes Fact-Based Fiction.

She began her television career in Australia and won Logie Awa...more
More about Joy Chambers...
Mayfield None But the Brave Vale Valhalla For Freedom My Zulu, Myself