Start by marking “Dead Letter Day (Messenger, #3)” as Want to Read:
Dead Letter Day (Messenger, #3)

Dead Letter Day (Messenger #3)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  29 reviews

Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Published February 26th 2013 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Dead Letter Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Letter Day

Melbourne on my mind
Admittedly, book 3 of the series probably wasn't the best place to start, but in my defence I had no idea it was book 3 until I got home from the library. Sigh.

Anyway, this was a fun world. It took me a little while to get my head around everything because there's not a lot of world building and I had to try and muddle my way through the relationships and the characters (see also: BOOK THREE. DAMMIT, PAST SELF. WHY DON'T YOU CHECK THESE THINGS BEFORE YOU BORROW BOOKS???). But once I sorted all
Melinda
This is another series that I really enjoy. This one dealt more with Melina's life than with the Messenger business. Here we have her building up her life and earning new friends. I liked that. I am excited to see what the next book brings.

Questions/Observations:
1) When Chuck moves, will Kevin stay?
2) What is going to happen to Inge's sons? Will they be ok?
3) New friends with Jenny and Willow?
4) What other things will Melina learn about her little one?
5) What is Ted?
6) Is Melina going to leave t
Stacy
I'm not loving the cover, Melina looks completely different from her previous covers and I just cant picture her like that. Thankfully I can overlook the cover and still really enjoyed DEAD LETTER DAY.

The fact that Paul has disappeared and none of the other Were's are looking for him sends Melina out to figure out what is really going on. The mystery of what was really going on was well written and the idea of killer cows was quite interesting lol. There isn't as much action as in previous book
OpenBookSociety.com
Brought to you by OBS reviewer Heidi

*Beware of Spoilers*

Melina is back in Eileen Rendahl’s third installment of the Messenger series, Dead Letter Day. In this one, Melina is on the hunt for information as her werewolf friend, Paul, who has gone missing and nobody, except Melina and her friends, think anything is wrong. The Pack thinks he is taking time to himself and won’t do anything to help in Melina’s search, so it’s up to her to do the heavy-hitting in this investigation!

For the majority of
Darcy
This book brings about a different side of Melina, one that is surprising. Her protege's questions makes her question things from her past, as does her new found relationship with her mother. It is fun to see Melina stop and think, instead of just blindly plowing through life. Another surprise makes Melina question things even more. I found it interesting that so many people knew Melina's surprise before she did, but kept the knowledge to themselves.

I loved Melina's reaction when she learned of
Teresa
3 Stars

Some times it is a little difficult to start reading a series in the 2nd or 3rd book. Yep, that is exactly what I did. I picked this book up at my library, only realizing when I got home that it was the 3rd book in the series. (I would've checked out book #1 and #2 of the series as well and started at the beginning.) Oh well, might as well make the most of the books I brought home with me.

Book blurb:
"Melina Markowitz, messenger for the underworld, delivers the goods for the supernatural
Mary
Werewolf Paul is gone and no one, except Melina, seems too concerned about it. Paul's her bud and, even though the alpha doesn't want her nosing around, Melina's determined to stick her nose into pack business and, quite frankly, where it doesn't belong.

Melina is one of those characters who barrels headlong into situations without thinking of the consequences. Despite this being her third book, she's still dangerously naive about the world she's now a part of. As a Messenger, her job is to deli
Viv Ross
First off, I won my copy of this book via a giveaway hosted by Goodreads.

While it had an interesting premise and made for a good standalone read from the series, I had a somewhat difficult time getting into this book. Every time I found myself starting to get into the groove of it there would be a phrase I was unfamiliar with and it would throw me off and throw me out and I'd spend time trying to figure out what it was or looking it up. Now, I'm a well read person. There are NOT a lot of words o
Owlcat Mountain
I don't use star ratings, so please read my review!

(Description nicked from B&N.com.)

“Melina Markowitz, messenger for the underworld, delivers the goods for the supernatural beings in our midst—no questions asked. It’s more than a job; it’s a mission. Safety be damned.

Melina’s missing friend, Paul, could just be taking a little werewolf “me time,” but her investigation yields something more sinister. Suspicions first fall on Paul’s wolf-pack rival. But that wouldn’t explain the sudden windst
Joshua Burns
As seen on Rabidreads.ca:

Dead Letter Day will give you a case of the warm and fuzzies. First of all, its plot centers predominantly around the werewolves in Melina's life. Secondly, it comes on the heels of the touchy-feely climax in book two in which Melina recognized just how much her mother, witch, vampire, roommate, and boyfriend mattered in her life. I continue to like the voice of this narrator. Seeing as it is all first person, all the time and undoubtedly so, you kind of have to like
David Caldwell
I won a copy on Goodreads Firstreads.

I took a chance that I normally try not to do when I entered this giveaway.It is book 3 of a paranormal series.Usually that would mean that you will be playing catchup the whole time you are reading the book.While it is true that I did have to hit the ground runnng and still am not 100% with somethings in the book,it wasn't bad enough to keep me from enjoying this story.In fact, I liked it enough, I plan on hunting down the first 2 books and reading them.

The
Michelle Leah Olson
Our Review, by LITERAL ADDICTION's Associate Reviewer - Kathy M:
*Copy received from the Publisher in exchange for an honest review

First off I must confess that I was unfamiliar with Eileen Rendahl’s Messenger series. So I didn’t know what to expect with Dead Letter Day, the third book. I can honestly say that by the second chapter, I knew that I would be ordering the first two books, pronto.

The heroine, Melina, is a messenger for the supernatural beings that live among the unsuspecting mundanes
Kris Sellgren
I've really enjoyed all three of Rendahl's urban fantasy novels. All of the characters grow in each book, and relationships take on depth. Melina at first seems like the tough, sarcastic fighter that has become so popular as a heroine in urban fantasy, but she isn't relentlessly grim and dark, and it is easy to see why her friends are so loyal. I look forward to more in this series.
Caitlin
When she was three-years-old, Melina Markowitz died--and came back as a Messenger. She delivers to any supernatural who asks, no matter the danger, because the consequences of refusing are always worse.

Usually, werewolves like her friend Paul can take care of themselves, so when he goes missing, everyone assumes it was by choice. Melina isn't so sure--and if someone can hold a werewolf hostage, that's a powerful enemy. When a pair of enormous crows begin following her, she's sure she's onto som
Batz4books
A little on the obvious side with some of the clues, but overall an entertaining read. Haven't read the rest of the series, but most stuff was explained well enough to catch up quickly.
Douglas Larson
This, book 3 in the series, is a similar tone to book 2, which I have also read. The story line of this one unfolds a bit more gently than book 2 probably due to the unexpected turn of events for Melina, the protangonist. I have to say I didn't see that coming.

I liked the unfolding of the story, and I didn't suspect who the antagonist turned out to be.

I haven't read book 1 but between books 2 and 3 (this one), I think book 2 is slightly better, though this book, is a bit gentler and easier to
Sillylittlefishey
Reviewed ARC -2/18/13

This book centered more on Melina's personal turmoils then the case she was actually working....to find Paul. And I did miss Alex and the humor he brings to the series. I'm also not really liking how everybody in their little group is conveniently coupling up.

(view spoiler)

Bu
Jan
Finally a new Messenger book. And what a book. Melina's friend, Paul, a werewolf is missing. Although the pack is not worried, Melina and Paul's other friends are convinced that something is wrong. Melina investigates. Meanwhile her relationship with her mother is improving and her relationship with boyfriend, Ted, takes an interesting turn.

Loved this book. Melina is growing as a person and a Messenger. The world and mythology are developing nicely. This book was more about relationships and was
Kim
I needed a "our story so far" preface as it has been so long since book 2 to this one. I will have to go back and re-read 1&2 as soon as I have time. That said, this still had a lot of "Oh shit!" moments like the first 2 books, but without being able to keep book 2 fresh in my mind, I did not get as much out of it as I would have liked. One part really got me, and it was just a few sentences, but it was personal to me. When Melina talks about her Grandma Rosie. That knocked the wind out of m ...more
Dr susan
I have done it again! It is 4:30 in the morning, and I have been sucking down Dead Letter Day like a kid at the state fair with a lemon shake up. And they are both so very tasty.
And now I am done, but too sleepy to give this wonderful book the review it deserves.
Dead Letter Day is just as funny, touching, and suspenseful the second reading. The Messenger books are wonderful urban fantasies.
Anna
It's so fun reading a book set in Sacramento! Its a city that I have spent lots of time in, especially the Pocket area where Melina's parents live. I can totally picture all the places that Melina went in the book.
Lara
Although Rendahl still writes mostly in protagonist Melina Markowitz's head, there was much less "telling" of events in this third book. If this keeps up, I can see the series becoming a lot better.
Ming Haugen
well 2.5

UF this isn't. It isn't even PNR.
A friend described this as three generations and a brisket.

There is a name for that genre of book and UF isn't it.

Disappointing.
Karen Desmond
I had forgotten how enjoyable this series is - a smaller book in terms of length but tightly written with ample excitement. Looking forward to the next one.
Jeannie Lopez
Great awesome fab and i want to tell the spoiler , but i wont but you'll go Yay!!!
Terese Damhøj
Der må godt komme mere - nu havde de lige fået etableret et godt crew :-)
Andi
Mar 28, 2013 Andi rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: kindle
3.5 stars. This was a little slow, but still enjoyable.
Maryanne
Oh boy now lets see how she handles this problem
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
Expected publication: February 26th 2013 by Ace
  • This Case Is Gonna Kill Me (Linnet Ellery #1)
  • Bleeding Out (OSI, #5)
  • Darklands (Deadtown, #4)
  • Wrong Side of Dead (Dreg City, #4)
  • Murder in Vein (A Madison Rose Vampire Mystery, #1)
  • Blackhearted Betrayal (Shades of Fury, #3)
  • Soul of Fire (The Portals, #2)
  • Some Like It Hot (Cat DeLuca Mysteries, #3)
  • Moonshifted (Edie Spence, #2)
  • Allegiance (River of Souls Series, #3)
  • January Thaw
  • Dying Echo (Grim Reaper Mystery, #4)
  • Iron Kin (The Half-Light City, #3)
  • Love on the Run (Nola O'Grady, #4)
  • Mountain Echoes (Walker Papers, #8)
  • Heart of the Demon (Warriors of the Rift, #3)
  • Sitting in My Box
  • The Golden Age of Death (Calliope Reaper-Jones, #5)
Don't Kill The Messenger (Messenger, #1) Dead on Delivery (Messenger, #2) Un-Bridaled Do Me, Do My Roots Balancing in High Heels