Start by marking “Harbinger (Book of the Order, #4)” as Want to Read:
Harbinger (Book of the Order, #4)

Harbinger (Book of the Order #4)

The Deacons of the Order are all that stand between the wicked spirits of the Otherside and the innocent citizens of the Empire. They are sworn to protect humanity, even when they cannot protect themselves…

After the Razing of the Order, Sorcha Faris, one of the most powerful Deacons, is struggling to regain control of the runes she once wielded. The Deacons are needed more
Mass Market Paperback, 305 pages
Published July 30th 2013 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Harbinger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harbinger

Colin Forbes
Oct 03, 2013 Colin Forbes rated it it was ok
A somewhat disappointing end to a series that I had previously been enjoying.

It's hard to put my finger on exactly what my problems with this book were. I just became more and more aware that I was puting off reading it and picking up other books instead - which is not a good sign. Still, you can't leave the final book in a series unfinished after having read the first three, so I finally made a concerted effort to read to the end.

Some other reviewers were dissatisfied with the ending and how it
Melissa Hayden
Jan 30, 2013 Melissa Hayden rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
We see the world as it's falling apart around our characters. Things are not looking good, and they may not all live to see what happens to the world when the Otherside crosses over. Maybe they don't want to see it. But they all will do everything in their power to stop it from happening. There are even a few geistlords that live upon the human realm and don't want the Otherside to cross, as they have to many enemies there. You know one of these geistlords as the Rossin. The Rossin has his own s ...more
Kenny
Jan 02, 2015 Kenny rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Strangely, this was the most dissatisfying of the Order books.
Ms Ballantine gave us more of the same in this, the 4th in the main Order books, and a semi-satisfying conclusion. I think that the biggest problem of this installment is that it is the last installment - and endings are always hard to do right.
Our ever favorite characters: Sorcha, Merrick, Raed and the Rossin are back and in top form. I really loved the challenge raised by the ending of the last book - the Rossin trying to escape - m
Rosu Aquabutts
"It was okay."

I can sum up all the problems with this series in one sentance: it's just not long enough. Building a world this huge, this deep, this layered, with this much history, not to mention a story with twists and turns and reveals and a massive mythos... it just CANNOT BE DONE in 1200 total pages.

These books could have been some of the best I've read, but they're just too packed. There's barely any time for characters to bond, information and concepts are introduced AS they're happening,
The Speculative Post
Jan 07, 2014 The Speculative Post rated it really liked it
Shelves: dan-s-reviews
I’m never sure how to review late books in a series. You’ve presumably already read the other three if you clicked past the spoiler warning, so I don’t need to go back and do any background. But maybe you haven’t, and jumping right in is just going to confuse you.

In any event, I really can’t review a book like this without spending at least a little time talking about the magic system. The primary conceit of this world and the series is that there is a spirit world called The Otherside. Various
Patrick
Oct 31, 2016 Patrick rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-series, reviewed
Well, here we finally are. Harbinger is unfortunately the final installment in the awesome steampunk urban fantasy Books of the Order series. While I'll be sad that this awesome and unique series is coming to an end, it did leave on a spectacular high note. While I generally shy away from urban fantasy, I loved this series for a number of reasons:

• Awesome cover artwork by Magic: the Gathering artist Jason Chan

• Doesn't take place in a modern day setting

• Great use of steampunk

• Unique magic
Jen (That's What I'm Talking About)
4.5 stars: Loved it - enthusiastically recommend (A)
Review originally posted at That's What I'm Talking About
Review copy provided by publisher.

Harbinger is the fourth and final installment of the marvelous Books of the Order series by Philippa Ballantine. Although one could probably get away reading it solo, I do not recommend it. Ms. Ballantine has created an immensely rich fantasy world with stories that build from book to book, and it is best read from beginning to end. Harbinger truly is the
Francesco
Aug 28, 2013 Francesco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: _eng, _reviewed, fantasy
Vote: 4,00
Class: L-B1 (FP) (*)

(Fourth and last book of the Book of the Order Series)

And finally in this last book the story becomes breathtaking, the characters grow to epic proportions, and all this series becomes great.
I've liking the previous books but let's say they need, in my opinion, some editing; on the contrary, this book is just perfect.

The world (3,50) is a mixture of steampunk and fantasy, with an interesting magical system. I liked the Deacons Order idea and the way their powers w
Lisa King
Oct 24, 2013 Lisa King rated it liked it
Sorcha Faris, Merrick Chambers and Raed Rossin are regrouping with what is left after the destruction of the Abby of the Order of the Fist and ..... Events continue to move forward as the riva Order attacks. Sorcha, Merrick, Raed, the Rossin, the Fensena, the emperor Kaleva, the Grand Duchess and the villainous Derodak are all on a collision course that will either usher in their doom or their salvation.

This is the fifth and final book in this series. I admit that it took me a few chapters to g
Natalie Tyler
Aug 10, 2016 Natalie Tyler rated it it was ok
This book is categorized as “steampunk” and I read it from start to finish but I have no idea what makes it “steampunk”. Also the author is from New Zealand so it’s a perfect match for the category. Maybe because I don’t know steampunk. I guess I was expecting Queen Victoria on a train!

The good is that the book is quick reading and action-packed. Also it is number four in a series (I read this one because it was the one I could find in my library). but there is sufficient back-story to make it
Lejon Johnson
Oct 05, 2013 Lejon Johnson rated it it was amazing
As the final book of the Order, Harbinger had a lot to live up to. Ballantine successfully held tension through the story, while giving us tragic figures to morn, heroic figures to cheer, and incredible depth to the characters we've come to cherish through this series. She also left enough wiggle-room at the end for a fifth book to the series, as there are a couple of questions raised at the end of the book as well as some left-over unanswered questions from the series. I am thoroughly satisfied ...more
Dawn
Oct 04, 2013 Dawn rated it it was amazing
Just finished reading and cried. I truly hope there is one more story with Sorcha and Merrick in it. The action was good and kept you wondering if Sorcha would be the Harbinger of Good or the downfall of all humans. The last page made me hope for more and now I can't wait for next book by this author to come out.
Dr susan
Aug 12, 2013 Dr susan rated it it was amazing
And the Burrito of Sadness continues with Harbinger, the final Book of the Order.

I wish series did not have to come to an end, but I am always glad when authors are able to gracefully end a series. Harbinger is not a graceful end, but a violent, twisty, satisfying conclusion. I need to find time to read this fascinating series again.
Liz
Nov 25, 2012 Liz rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Great ending, tying up loose ends without straining credibility (too much!) I liked the small message of hope at the ending since (view spoiler). I would love to read a novella set in the future updating us on the characters and the fallout from Harbinger's events.

Wielli
Feb 17, 2014 Wielli rated it it was amazing
Satisfying end to a great series.
David
Apr 25, 2016 David rated it liked it
3.5. Good enough conclusion to the series.
Marie-Claire
Feb 17, 2015 Marie-Claire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Die Grenze zwischen der Welt der Lebenden und dem Reich der Toten wird immer durchlässiger, und die Magierin Sorcha Faris ist eine der Wenigen, die noch verhindern können, dass es zur Katastrophe kommt. Verfolgt von den Schatten ihrer Vergangenheit, soll sie den Angriff gegen die finsteren Horden anführen, die die Menschheit zu überrennen drohen. Doch dazu muss sich Sorcha eine Macht zunutze machen, die ihren eigenen Untergang bedeuten könnte.

"Geisterzeichen" ist der vierte und damit finale Band
Heather
Nov 01, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing
Harbinger is an exciting conclusion to the Book of the Order series. The books are information dense and action packed. The rest of the series needs to be read in order to enjoy this final novel. Philippa Ballentine does an excellent job creating an imaginary world where deacons and geists battle for control over the land and the bridging of the world to the Otherside.

Where earlier books left cliff hangers, Harbinger provides answers. Sorcha Faris, Merrick Champers, The Pretender Read, The Rossi
Atomicblue
Oct 11, 2015 Atomicblue rated it really liked it
Mandy Magill
Mar 16, 2015 Mandy Magill rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1-owned-books
Book IV in The Book of Order series.

Sorcha, Raed and Merrick are still on the move after the fall of the order. They are getting used to the new runes that they now have carved directly into their skin. The Rossin is hiding information from all in the bond about what he is planning with his "escape" from Raed and the curse. Sorcha is dealing with voices in her head from the Wrayth hive.

Geist activity is at an all time high and all deacons are doing their best to keep it under control. The only
Ruthie
Oct 08, 2015 Ruthie rated it really liked it
Lots of action and nail-biting moments in this book. But there were also times, after reading the last 3 books, you'd say "Again? Really?".
Most of the endings I predicted did come to pass, but even after an epic climax, I felt like the epilogue or last chapter didn't exactly cover all loose ends and I was left with many questions that are currently causing my "book-hangover". At least all of the major plot-lines were resolved, there were just a few minor plot-lines that I just can't help but won
Natasha Chowdory
Aug 11, 2013 Natasha Chowdory rated it liked it
Haley Rymel
Feb 05, 2015 Haley Rymel rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
I felt like every book in this series, could have been a series unto itself. Harbinger left me wanting more, but somehow grateful that the series was put to a graceful end.

Harbinger follows the same general pattern as the rest of the series (I haven't read any other series by Philippa Ballantine, maybe it's her pattern in everything), but if the series had been longer, then it would have became a problem. But I would love more books from this world. Maybe about the Ehtia or the demise of the or
Astarte
Sep 25, 2016 Astarte rated it really liked it
I really struggled to read the first parts of this book (may have been reading fatigue though) and I found it quite slow. There were a lot of problems that the characters were facing, but I felt that they weren't addressed as fully as they could be. I also found it difficult to follow the timeline. By the end though, I was sorry to have the book end and I'm hoping there will be a follow up or spin off series.
Michael Snowden
Feb 02, 2017 Michael Snowden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good end to a great series

I thought this was a good wrap up to the four book series. sorcha, merrick, and raed had satisfying endings to their journeys and it ended on a somber, yet heartwarming note.
Natacha Guyot
Apr 02, 2015 Natacha Guyot rated it it was amazing
The Book of the Order series is one of my all-time favorite. Ballantine doesn't disappoint with this final installment. The stakes are very high and she stays true to her characters and universes. It is a heart-wrenching conclusion, with a lot happening. I cried a few times towards the end and loved the possibilities the end offers. Outstanding worldbuilding and character development!
Mihir
Jul 30, 2013 Mihir rated it really liked it
A sharp ending to a very fascinating tetralogy, the author manages to resolve all character arcs & plot threads with this climatic volume. The ending while surprising is a safe one & was a bit unexpected in regards to the Geistlords. The series is finished & the readers can expect to be surprised as well as be happy with its conclusion.

More to come in FBC review...
Kristi
May 03, 2014 Kristi rated it it was amazing
Loved this finale! And while the last few lines leave me hoping there may be more for Sorcha, Raed & Merrick in the future, it's a good ending to a good series. It's not truly a happy ending, and as always, there's nothing pretty about trying to win a battle against Evil, but in the end, I think all would agree that it was worth it. Read this series - you'll like it!
Tamara!
Mar 27, 2014 Tamara! rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Further magic, mayhem and madness abound in Sorcha's world, with some unexpected surprises and lots of action. Almost sad to see it end, but am hopeful of perhaps a bit more in the future (hint hint). Would like to see where all characters really end up!
David Marshall
Aug 24, 2013 David Marshall rated it it was ok
This is an OK fantasy finishing off the series but it only gets 2 stars because it completely fails to explain how any of the magic works. This is a shame because, overall, the plot ideas are quite strong.

Previous book, (Book 3, Wrayth) 1 13 Sep 05, 2013 06:54PM
  • Dawn's Early Light (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences, #3)
  • Cold Copper (Age of Steam, #3)
  • Shadowdance (Darkest London, #4)
  • The Red Plague Affair (Bannon & Clare, #2)
  • The Last Mage Guardian (Guardian's Compact, #1)
  • Tempered (The St. Croix Chronicles, #4)
  • War Master's Gate (Shadows of the Apt, #9)
  • Forged in Blood II (The Emperor's Edge, #7)
  • Deep Down (Wide Open, #2)
  • The Kraken King and the Scribbling Spinster (Iron Seas, #4.1; Kraken King, #1)
  • Debris (The Veiled Worlds, #1)
  • The Last Stormdancer (The Lotus War, #0.6)
  • Shadowbound (Dark Arts, #1)
  • On the Razor's Edge
  • True Blood, Volume 4: Where Were You?
  • The Silvered
  • The Prince of Lies (Night's Masque, #3)
  • The Rift Walker (Vampire Empire, #2)
Born and raised in Wellington, New Zealand, Philippa is a writer and podcaster of fantasy fiction.
Immersed in books from an early age, she moved onto to become a librarian. She'd been dreaming of being a writer since a teenager, but in the last ten years she's devoted herself to it.
She's the author of the Books of the Order series from Ace Books. Geist, Spectyr, Wrayth (2012) and Harbinger (2013)
More about Philippa Ballantine...

Book of the Order (4 books)
  • Geist (Book of the Order, #1)
  • Spectyr (Book of the Order, #2)
  • Wrayth (Book of the Order, #3)

“Chaotic Of Echoes The Lands Darkest Hours Of Lions
Architect the Garlots of War The Precognitions”
1 likes