Start by marking “The Cassandra Project” as Want to Read:
The Cassandra Project

The Cassandra Project

3.41  ·  Rating Details ·  1,166 Ratings  ·  214 Reviews
Jerry Culpepper was proud to be NASA's public affairs director, long after the first moon landing, budget cutbacks, and public disinterest. Now a 50-year old secret about the Apollo XI mission embroils him in controversy and tests his willingness to spin the truth about a conspiracy of reality-altering proportions.
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published October 29th 2013 by Ace (first published November 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Cassandra Project, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cassandra Project

aPriL does feral sometimes
The biggest issue I have with this well-written, but dull, novel is it should have been a novella.

There is a SHOCK ending, which caused me to guffaw tea out of my nose and choke for ten minutes. As I am writing this I am sniffling and breathing through raw tissues still occasionally dripping out tea.

The story, if you can call it that, reads more like a 400-pages long New Yorker article describing how professional publicity agents and media consultants manage the news process for politicians, de
Trike
What if Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin weren't the first astronauts to walk on the moon? Why would the US cover up earlier landings? What's on the moon to cause them to do so?

I stopped reading Jack McDevitt's work years ago because he starts with a tremendous premise and then fails to follow through. I felt that most of his books simply don't have endings. Despite the collaboration with Mike Resnick, this book has the same problem. The answer to the above questions are mind-blowingly awesome...
Mårten Ericson
I honestly do not know how to rate this book. The dust cover classifies it as a thriller, but it's nothing thrilling about this story what so ever. At its best it's a pleasant conversation. I haven't read much of Mike Resnick - though i read Santiago many years ago and loved it. As for McDevitt I usually read his books from cover to cover in a few days. The cooperation, well, it does not deliver - and then again co-writing seldom does.

"The Cassandra Project" could really have been a dense intrig
Sara
My favorite thing about Jack McDevitt's books is their firm grounding in reality despite the fantastical things that happen in them. McDevitt has long since established himself as the go to sci-fi author for books that pack an emotional punch and really examine the repercussions of man's hubris in our never ending attempts to discover the secrets of life and the universe.

With "The Cassandra Project" McDevitt and his co-writer the equally talented Mike Resnick delves again into the pitfalls and
Olivia Waite
Jun 17, 2013 Olivia Waite rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sff, science, space
Would have been three stars, as the premise was compelling, but the ending was kind of a letdown. There was also some mockery of people who read or write vampire romances, which was tossed in just for laughs and wasn't nearly as funny as the authors obviously thought it was. I don't write vampire romances -- or at least, I haven't yet -- but given the current conversations in SFF about sci-fi and fantasy romance's place in the genre, I found these passages to be disappointing and disengaging.
Justin
Basically the DaVinci Code but replace Jesus with NASA and the Knights Templar with astronauts. Entertaining airplane read, but not much beyond that. . . Full review after the link.

D.L. Morrese
I picked up this book mainly because Jack McDevitt was one of the authors. He’s a nice guy to sit and chat with, if you ever have a chance, and his books often have an old fashion pulp science fiction flavor that I rather like. The Cassandra project does, which is good in some ways, but in this particular case, I think the ending suffers as a result. I’ll try to explain why later without too many spoilers.

The story is set in the U.S.A. in 2019. The world economy is in the doldrums, the rich have
Stephen
Mar 23, 2013 Stephen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Not McDevitt's best (I haven't read anything else by the co-author, I know nothing about what aspects the co-author contributed, though I certainly could spot McDevitt's hand at a number of points, especially his public relations plot point tendency--more so when it comes to a character going on a talk show with a vicious host)

So, I'll admit maybe I came in expecting more, maybe even more than I'd get in McDevitt's other books. In some ways this reads like the sort of mystery I've seen a number
Jeff Raymond
Dec 12, 2012 Jeff Raymond rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-sci-fi
Closer to a 3.5, I think. I love first contact novels, I love government conspiracies, and The Cassandra Project combines both together for a fairly quick novel. It's not going to win any writing awards, for sure, but as a quick bit of riveting escapism, I'm glad I grabbed this.

The book takes place in the near future, where NASA is underfunded as is the rest of the government as the nation continues to come out of the economic doldrums. Our main character, a high-ranking NASA official, trips up
Julie Czerneda
Jan 05, 2013 Julie Czerneda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love to wonder what it will take to get us back to the moon? These two fine sf authors have taken a new approach. They've wrapped this question within an exceptionally well done, fast-paced political who-knows-what worthy of the X-files at its best. What if NASA -- or someone -- knew something about the lunar landings no one else was to know? What if that secret was so explosive, it would change the world. The main protagonist, Jerry Culpepper is a particularly enjoyable character. He's NASA's s ...more
Dave
Dec 03, 2012 Dave rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I REALLY liked this book! For me it has a great hook, and I could not wait to finish it.
It takes the NASA "Moon landing conspiracy theories" and flips them on their ears. What if we did indeed land on the moon, but it turned out to be BEFORE the July 1969 mission? Why would NASA hide that fact? Why did the President agree, when we were racing the Russians to the moon???
I LOVED the hook, and for me it does not disappoint.
It jumps right in,and gets to the pont. I was drawn in right away.
A good r
Carmen
Dec 18, 2013 Carmen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Science Fiction Fans
This was a book that was not what I usually think of as science-fiction. It was more like a political thriller or mystery. It does a good job of incorporating reality and creating a very near, very realistic future. It uses real history and real people to drive the story (such as Nixon). There is no action or alien beings (on-screen, at least).
Steve Creech
Science fiction story about whether or not there was two lunar landing missions before 1969 when Armstrong first landed.
Kelly
Nov 27, 2012 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
One leaked audio file ignites a controversy that involves NASA, private enterprise, the President of the United States, present and past, and a decades old scandal. One question, who was the first man to walk on the Moon?, sparks many more questions and piece by piece the Cassandra Project is revealed. The idea another mission, half a year before Apollo XI and another man, Sydney Myshko, might have landed on the Moon before Neil Armstrong seems like fiction and many regard it as just that. But a ...more
Arabella Thorne

What if Neil Armstrong was not the first man on the moon?
That’s the question these two superb authors play with in this novel.
Jerry Culpepper is the public face of NASA. He does what he can to keep the flame of space exploration alive and in the public eye---and hopefully keep the government interested enough to keep funding the almost moribund space program. The time line is a few years in the future.
Bit by bit, Culpepper becomes aware of a very whacked-out conspiracy: Neil Armstrong was NOT t
Joe  Noir
Nov 11, 2013 Joe Noir rated it really liked it
This is an absolutely stunning novel from two science fiction masters. 4.5 stars.

What if, in the very near future, among an abundance of material released by NASA to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Neil Armstrong moon landing, there were found a couple of items that seem to indicate there had been moon landings prior to Armstrong’s that were covered up? What if the media got ahold of the story and wouldn’t let it go; and a PR man from NASA stumbled across additional clues that this might
Stephen
Feb 09, 2013 Stephen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Jen
It's the 50th anniversary of the moon landing, and mystifying evidence emerges that indicates another crew of NASA astronauts actually landed on the moon six months before Apollo 11. Why would NASA and the astronauts on the mission have kept it a secret?

It's a great hook. What possible reason could there have been for such a cover up? What did the real first moon walkers find? Unfortunately the book can't live up to the concept. The main characters, a NASA spokesperson and a billionaire who want
Teresa
Was Neil Armstrong really the first man to walk on the moon? Why would the United States hide actual moon landings that happened before Apollo 11 on the back side of the moon? How was it possible to cover up something so amazing and why would anyone want to? All these questions are answered in Jack McDevitt's and Mike Resnick's "The Cassandra Project."

It took awhile for this book to get going. At first I kept reading it because I really liked the character, Jerry. He was written very well and I
Richard Radgoski
Dec 01, 2013 Richard Radgoski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books. You will either like it, as I did, or not. I don't think there is a middle ground. Unfortunately, those who ultimately dislike it have three places to make that decision ... Before reading it (not my thing) during the middle (it's kinda slow) or after the reveal (nope, I ain't buying it). For those of us that do like it, we gotta wade through all these. I was initially interested because it is a near contemporary story that revolves around a NASA mystery. I love the s ...more
David
Dec 16, 2013 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: completed
David
Mar 21, 2013 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure what I was expecting when I picked this up at the library, but I ended up being surprised. It was a pleasant surprise, so that's a good thing.

This is less science fiction than detective story wrapped in science fiction clothing (a la "The Caves of Steel" by Asimov), and it works pretty well as a page-turner: Sarah tonight asked me "what the heck is in that book that you keep picking it up? [instead of finishing cleaning for Passover]"

I think the world-building is pretty good: Bucky
Robert
Dec 07, 2012 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Linda
Nov 23, 2012 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy McDevitt's space operas, and while they usually interweave some of his personal political views, Cassandra Project, which takes place in 2019, seems to have been written mainly to express those views. Part of his view, of course, is criticism of the waning of our manned NASA space program. The novel does succeed in making a strong plea for the return of NASA's glory days when we first landed on the Moon in 1969. The premise that there was a conspiracy that preceded Armstrong's walk keeps ...more
Jack Cheng
This book was a waste of my time. There's a great hook -- a really good one -- about secret Apollo missions and what happened on the dark side of the moon. However, the ultimate mystery, the why and not the what, remains unsolved, hidden behind a final twist that was a hoary chestnut when Heinlein and Asimov were writing.

Speaking of the writing, it is terribly pedestrian, the kind of linear exposition that only hard science fiction tolerates. Plus, there's the Ayn Randian billionaire protagonist
Nzric
Jan 08, 2013 Nzric rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Great concept, but huge disappointment overall that both authors seem to be phoning it in. My recommendation - look at the premise of this book and then spend an hour or so a day thinking about the implications and dreaming up your own plotline about how a story like this should play out. This will be a huge amount more enjoyable than working through this book.

For a book that takes on a huge conspiracy theory like this, the plot rumbles along with little or no thought about how a political consp
Debbie
Jan 07, 2013 Debbie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scfi
I find it hard to believe that these two authors are both Nebula award winners because this is some trite bit of writing. None of the characters are fleshed out and are real - ESPECIALLY Bucky our mover and shaker. Really, he's like a cartoon -

and our 'hero' Jerry - not much better. There are parts of his story that are completely irrelevant (his girlfriends -past and present) and even his moral code is hardly worth while.

as for the essential mystery in the story...been there done that.
Rlbrown
Sep 27, 2012 Rlbrown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jack McDevitt and Mike Resnick have created a credible mystery with just enough historical influence to make you think – wait, this could have really happened?

Read the rest of my review here:

Jane
Jan 12, 2013 Jane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction, 2013
took a long, long time to get to the point. interesting idea, mediocre execution, tired conclusion.
Doris Pearson
Jul 11, 2013 Doris Pearson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very exciting. Super ideas on why NASA doesn't go back to the moon. A must read sci-fi fictional story! Re-read this one..
  • Bowl of Heaven (Bowl of Heaven, #1)
  • Triggers
  • The Seeds of Earth (Humanity's Fire, #1)
  • Only Superhuman
  • Further: Beyond the Threshold
  • Farside (The Grand Tour, #20)
  • Gardens of the Sun (The Quiet War #2)
  • No Going Back (Jon & Lobo, #5)
  • Other Earths
  • Reap the Wild Wind (Stratification, #1)
  • Andromeda's Fall (The Prequel Legion Series, #1)
  • Yesterday's Kin
  • Apollo's Outcasts
  • The World of the End
  • Osiris (The Osiris Project, #1)
  • The Glorious Angels
  • The Dragon Men (Clockwork Empire, #3)
  • Finity
Jack McDevitt is a former English teacher, naval officer, Philadelphia taxi driver, customs officer and motivational trainer. His work has been on the final ballot for the Nebula Awards for 12 of the past 13 years. His first novel, The Hercules Text, was published in the celebrated Ace Specials series and won the Philip K. Dick Special Award. In 1991, McDevitt won the first $10,000 UPC Internation ...more
More about Jack McDevitt...