The Sartorialist: Closer

The Sartorialist: Closer

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  139 ratings  ·  23 reviews
After the enormous success of The Sartorialist, Scott Schuman is back with a completely new collection of beautiful images of the men and women who have caught his attention.

His much-loved blog, thesartorialist.com, remains one of the most-read in the fashion world and continues to grow in popularity as Scott travels further and more widely. This book emcompasses the dive...more
Published August 29th 2012 by Penguin Books (first published August 28th 2012)

lucy by the sea
so this is pretty much like the first book. Maybe a bit better. There are a few more freaks, a bit more diversity. Still no fatties! what? and to my agravation Scott Schuman goes on about how to be fashionable one should find inspiration in someome with style who has a similar body shape to your own, well, no one in this book has a similar body shape to me. That makes me sad.

This is what I thought of the first one

K, so Scott Schuman is a blogger/ photographer who goes out on the streets (in bi...more
Ian
Much in the same vein as his first book. If you're looking for a 'trend guide' or a collection of what's 'hot' in fashion, you'll probably be disappointed. But if you're open to learning about how Schuman's understanding of style and personal expression is growing and evolving as he continues to shoot street style images from around the world via the ones he has chosen to curate within this book and the sparse but incisive commentary he intersperses throughout to accompany them, you will probabl...more
Phoebe
Apr 24, 2013 Phoebe rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Phoebe by: New books shelf at Cambridge Pub Library
After enjoying these many expressions of fashion and personality, I feel a lot free-er to wear whatever I'd like, which is pretty much what I do anyway. Now with more license. :^)
Shila
For starters, flipping through the book, I really love what I see and believe that he chose a great COVER photo- actually the best possible. I really like the girls face. The 45 things I liked about the book:

1. Boots- pg. 7
10. Photos- pg. 71, 72, 73, 74, 77
11. Shoes - pg. 78
12. Outfit- pg. 8...more
Neville
'The Sartorialist' is the title of a street style photography website created by New York based photographer Scott Schuman. Since it's inception, the site has generated upwards of 14 million page views per month, and Mr Schuman, with style blogger Garance Doré, was recently awarded the 2012 Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) Media Award.

'The Sartorialist' website was created to share photos of people on the street that Mr Schuman thought looked great. Over time, his content and narra...more
Kit
Aug 15, 2013 Kit rated it 1 of 5 stars Recommends it for: DWARFOPHILES, ladies in hats
Recommended to Kit by: Helen Keller

How the hell did Scotty Schu secure himself a second book? Ugh. Shit is on maje sale at Net-a-Porter, BTW.

Pretentious photos of ostentatious (i.e. Ew, Yuck, What the Fruck) outfits on pretentious people, as shot from ground-level by a pretentious little (READ: LITTLE) man.

r/TIL: Little Scotty had a wife and kids before he ditched them for Garance.

Sod off, you little troll.

Prime real estate on this betch's coffee table is reserved for classy picture books. Like "Pat The Bunny". Or "Underwater Do...more
mellyana
It's not about who you wear about wear who you are. I enjoy his work and when finally have his book at hands, I am happy.
Sara
His photos are so beautiful!!!!
Alisha Hall
I was so happy to get this book. I love The Sartorialist and I absolutely loved the first book. Scott, you rock by the way. However, I must admit I was not moved as much by this book as the first one. I loved the photographs and some of the styles are really incredible. The one thing that I can say I loved and really felt moved by are THE SHOES....there are some shoes in the book that I would die for.
Nice job but not my favorite. I would choose book #1 if we needed to make a choice.
Tam Starita
This is my first book from the collection and I really enjoyed it. It is so inspirational! There is a difference when we see fashion trends in magazines and in the media versus seeing how 'real' people are interpreting and executing these styles to reflect their own sensibilities and lifestyle. It is a great resource for visual inspiration and to have a pulse on styles from all over the world.
Max Rocca
Assolutamente imperdibili le immagini meravigliose di Scott Schuman...scatti fotografici immortalati per strada...eleganza e stile personale dei protagonisti ma soprattutto le doti di Scott, la capacità di giocare con le luci, le ombre i riflessi e gli sfondi..da sfogliare con attenzione per tutti i fashion-victims
Janet
I loved looking at this book, portraits of people a la Bill Cunningham, or the Humans of New York blog. I didn't even know what the word sartorialist meant until today: Of or relating to a tailor, tailoring, or tailored clothing: sartorial elegance. This guy has an eye.
Dean
Overall the print quality and photo composition seems higher than the previous volume and that makes a good thing even better. My chief complaint with the original book, however, remains with this one - the physical sizing is too small to do the visuals justice.
Myonly
Wonderful pictures, it was hard to put down! Nicely done, with some written bits by the photographer. I loved what he had to say about personal style, and how it's not about owning what's trendy but about owning things you love and wearing them.
Nancy
Again, the same pleasure as an ice cream sandwich. In fact, I stared at these people while eating ice cream sandwiches. I'm not sure anything was "closer" but that didn't matter. There could be a Closest and I'd happily stare at it.
Dawn Rutherford
While I usually enjoy this sort of book, I frankly found this one to be a bit boring. Perhaps his tastes are too conservative for me, but I found this collection of street fashion photos totally uninspiring.
Andd Becker
The photographer captures ordinary persons who display fashion sense. Each subject is sharply-defined against a background that tells a story.
Yuanting Lee
Still great with many inspiring pictures, but just less stellar compared to his first book.

Less 'commentary' too, which sucks.
Sheila Anyaoha
true walks of style!
Sara Dee
Loved it, very inspirational. Loved seeing people through Scott Schumann's eye.
Nancy
Oct 29, 2012 Nancy added it
Wonderful, wonderful fashion reference. I learn a lot from Scott Schuman.
Carla
not reading, really just gazing. What an eye this guy has!
Sd
"There is no such thing as effortless chic."
Rosana Fernandez
Brilliant. The equivalent of people watching...
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Danella
Danella marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Ines
Ines marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Scott Schuman is the creator of the popular fashion blog "The Sartorialist". After leaving his position as director of men's fashion at his showroom to take care of his daughter in September 2005, he began carrying a digital camera around and photographing people he saw on the street whose style he found striking. He then posted these to his blog, sometimes with short comments, always either favor...more
More about Scott Schuman...
The Sartorialist The UC Sartorialist: Closer--CANCELED Artist/Rebel/Dandy: Men of Fashion