Start by marking “Shadows of Falling Night (Shadowspawn #3)” as Want to Read:
Shadows of Falling Night (Shadowspawn #3)

Shadows of Falling Night (Shadowspawn #3)

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  19 reviews
At last, S. M. Stirling, the New York Times bestselling author of the Novels of the Change, presents the stunning climax to his Shadowspawn trilogy—the ultimate confrontation, in which the fate of all humanity hangs in the balance....

She’s back....

Near-purebred home nocturnus Adrian Brézé and his human mate, Ellen, thought they had dealt with his twin sister, Adrienne. In
Published May 7th 2013 by Roc

To ask other readers questions about Shadows of Falling Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadows of Falling Night

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil GaimanAncillary Justice by Ann LeckieThe Best of All Possible Worlds by Karen LordAbaddon's Gate by James S.A. CoreyDivinity and The Python by Bonnie  Randall
2013 Speculative Fiction
122nd out of 122 books — 92 voters
The Way of Kings by Brandon SandersonWords of Radiance by Brandon SandersonThe Wise Man's Fear by Patrick RothfussA Dance with Dragons by George R.R. MartinPrince of Thorns by Mark  Lawrence
Best Fantasy of the 2010s
383rd out of 484 books — 625 voters

More lists with this book...

Star (The Bibliophilic Book Blog)
I received ‘Shadows of Falling Night’ from the publisher for review, but I’d never read the first two books in the trilogy. When I started the book, I felt really lost and I couldn't get into the story or the characters. I feel you have to read the first two books to understand and enjoy ‘Shadows of Falling Night’. This was a ‘Did Not Finish’ for me.

Shadowspawn series: A Taint in the Blood (1), The Council of Shadows (2), Shadows of Falling Night (3)
Shadows of Falling Night by S.M. Stirling. The conclusion to Stirling’s Shadowspawn trilogy doesn’t bring an easy end to the series.

The Shadowspawn are literally the stuff legends are based on. The stories of vampires, werewolves, incubi, and succubi can all be traced back to these powerful beings. And, not all of them are interested in keeping humans around as more than a convenient snack.

That’s the crux of Adrian Breze’s problem with his sister Adrienne. She’s not one to shy away from gore and
Kathy Davie
Third in the Shadowspawn urban fantasy series about a Shadowspawn plot to take over the world.

My Take
This story finds Ellen and Adrian sharing near-equal billing with Adrian's children with a little genetic selection at the very start of this tale. Why do wanna-be bad guys always think they're immune?

It's a series of chases involving various groups with the logistics of who is chasing whom and the whys of it constantly changing. It's also a trip through our own nightmares as wolves chase down th
Chris Bauer
This is the final installment of Stirling's "other" series. I've read the first 2 books and largely enjoyed them.

Stirling does an admirable job of weaving together ancient mythology, folklore and occult with notions of quantum physics and other high end theoretical sciences to create a pretty unique world-setting.

In addition his attention to detail is impressive, almost like walking through the streets of Istanbul, Rome and Florence.

There were, however, a couple of aspects which prevented me fr
OK, the title's a bit silly sounding. But it's also quite deliberate that it could be a synonym for twilight. Because you can't do a supernatural romance (and this is one, just with Stirling's typical nasty twist to it) without people thinking of Twilight (and there's even one direct reference in the story). The stakes are pretty high on this one as Ellen and Adrian must chase down their former ally before he can set off a nuke under the Council of Shadows. Which sounds like a pretty good idea, ...more
Lianne Burwell
If this is in fact the final book of the series, it was a pretty lousy ending. There's a lot of travelling, a character changing sides for no apparent reason, finally some real action in the last forty pages and a resolution that still has me scratching my head and wondering just whose body was the body at the end.

I will assume, since nothing is really resolved, that this is just the conclusion of a first trilogy, and that there will be more books later. I'm just not sure I'll be reading any of
Jeffrey Schmieder
I liked the Shadowspawn world Stirling created, rich vampire families living large and preying on us mortals, but the story seems to be running out of gas by book three. Would love to see some good authors let loose in this world.
Kurt Vosper
It was a good follow up to the previous two books, but I had thought it was supposed to be the last book. The end however left me thinking that this isn't the last book?
Regardless, I enjoyed the majority of the book, it was much more action packed than the last two but I felt the end was rushed. Based on the pace of the rest of the book the final chase from the shores of the Black Sea to the church and the confrontation between the Breze's felt very quick, almost as though a deadline needed to
Nicole Luiken
Another Sunburst Award read, so no rating or review.
Mike Ratner
Not a strong as the second book but the ending deserves its own star.
Brain bleach. Sigh. I read Stirling so I read his vampire horror. Clearly a mistake. At least its a different sort of vampire series - it also includes shape-shifting and torture and a certain amount of BDSM usually off-screen but only barely. And it's slow moving on top of that. And yet I do like some of the characters - this could have been an enjoyable story. Call it 2.5 of 3.
I don't think this is Mr. Stirling's best work. If this is the end of the trilogy as it claims to be it was rushed and the ending was not nearly as satisfying as it could be. Of course the ending as written allows much more to be written at a later date. I'd like to see that happen because there are questions to be answered in a future book.
The only reason I've completed this trilogy is that I usually enjoy S.M. Stirling, but this was really not his best work. Also, the end makes me suspect it's not going to be a trilogy after all. I think this series is just a little too lurid for my taste, and I don't plan to continue reading any future novels in it.
A good ending. Wraps enough up to BE an ending, but leaves enough room that Stirling could write more if he wanted. Enjoyed this series a lot.
Meh. I gave it a couple of chapters, but it's just not where my brain's at right now and I don't have the patience for it.

Much like the first two - I want to like it... but the writing just isn't working for me, damnit
David Weems
I good finish to the series ... same comments apply to this volume as to its two predecessors.
Not really happy about this ending because it held too many strings. Book 4?
A pretty good ending for the series. A little wicked.
Benjamin Brown
Benjamin Brown marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Karen Berzins
Karen Berzins marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Jade Humphrey
Jade Humphrey marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Sean marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Gerald is currently reading it
Sep 25, 2015
Amy Klocko
Amy Klocko marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2015
  • Snakes and Ladders (InCryptid, #0.12)
  • Portal (Boundary,#3)
  • The Preservation Kitchen: The Craft of Making and Cooking with Pickles, Preserves, and Aigre-doux
  • Cherry Bomb (Siobhan Quinn, #3)
  • Zombie Versus Fairy Featuring Albinos
  • The Havoc Machine (Clockwork Empire, #4)
  • Walking In the Midst of Fire (Remy Chandler, #6)
  • Games Creatures Play
  • Dark Road Rising (Vampire Files, #12)
  • Fiery Edge of Steel (Noon Onyx, #2)
  • Omega Days (Omega Days, #1)
  • The God Tattoo: Untold Tales from the Twilight Reign (Twilight Reign)
Stephen Michael Stirling is a French-born Canadian-American science fiction and fantasy author. Stirling is probably best known for his Draka series of alternate history novels and the more recent time travel/alternate history Nantucket series and Emberverse series.

(personal website: source)

I’m a writer by trade, born in France but Canadian by origin and American by naturalizat
More about S.M. Stirling...

Shadowspawn (3 books)
  • A Taint in the Blood (Shadowspawn #1)
  • The Council of Shadows (Shadowspawn #2)
Dies the Fire (Emberverse, #1) The Protector's War (Emberverse, #2) Island in the Sea of Time (Nantucket, #1) A Meeting at Corvallis (Emberverse, #3) The Sunrise Lands (Emberverse, #4)