Start by marking “Shadows of Falling Night (Shadowspawn #3)” as Want to Read:
Shadows of Falling Night (Shadowspawn #3)

Shadows of Falling Night (Shadowspawn #3)

3.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  139 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
At last, S. M. Stirling, the New York Times bestselling author of the Novels of the Change, presents the stunning climax to his Shadowspawn trilogy—the ultimate confrontation, in which the fate of all humanity hangs in the balance....

She’s back....

Near-purebred home nocturnus Adrian Brézé and his human mate, Ellen, thought they had dealt with his twin sister, Adrienne. In
Published May 7th 2013 by Roc

To ask other readers questions about Shadows of Falling Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadows of Falling Night

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil GaimanAncillary Justice by Ann LeckieThe Best of All Possible Worlds by Karen LordAbaddon's Gate by James S.A. CoreyDivinity and The Python by Bonnie  Randall
2013 Speculative Fiction
127th out of 127 books — 102 voters
The Way of Kings by Brandon SandersonWords of Radiance by Brandon SandersonThe Wise Man's Fear by Patrick RothfussPrince of Thorns by Mark  LawrenceA Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin
Best Fantasy of the 2010s
472nd out of 562 books — 1,010 voters

More lists with this book...

M
May 01, 2016 M rated it did not like it
Well, I'm glad that's over. I'd say the Shadowspawn trilogy is a case where there's a lot of promise at the start and things rapidly go downhill after, but that's wrong both because there wasn't actually that much promise in A Taint in the Blood, and the fact that the ending of this makes it pretty clear that Stirling wants to write more books. Which is frustrating, because it definitely feels like with an editor and much better pacing, the story of this trilogy could be condensed to one or two ...more
Star
Jun 28, 2013 Star rated it did not like it
I received ‘Shadows of Falling Night’ from the publisher for review, but I’d never read the first two books in the trilogy. When I started the book, I felt really lost and I couldn't get into the story or the characters. I feel you have to read the first two books to understand and enjoy ‘Shadows of Falling Night’. This was a ‘Did Not Finish’ for me.

Shadowspawn series: A Taint in the Blood (1), The Council of Shadows (2), Shadows of Falling Night (3)
Kirsten
Jan 29, 2014 Kirsten rated it really liked it
Shadows of Falling Night by S.M. Stirling. The conclusion to Stirling’s Shadowspawn trilogy doesn’t bring an easy end to the series.

The Shadowspawn are literally the stuff legends are based on. The stories of vampires, werewolves, incubi, and succubi can all be traced back to these powerful beings. And, not all of them are interested in keeping humans around as more than a convenient snack.

That’s the crux of Adrian Breze’s problem with his sister Adrienne. She’s not one to shy away from gore and
Kathy Davie
Jul 10, 2013 Kathy Davie rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, urban-fantasy
Third in the Shadowspawn urban fantasy series about a Shadowspawn plot to take over the world.

My Take
This story finds Ellen and Adrian sharing near-equal billing with Adrian's children with a little genetic selection at the very start of this tale. Why do wanna-be bad guys always think they're immune?

It's a series of chases involving various groups with the logistics of who is chasing whom and the whys of it constantly changing. It's also a trip through our own nightmares as wolves chase down th
Chris Bauer
Jul 08, 2013 Chris Bauer rated it liked it
This is the final installment of Stirling's "other" series. I've read the first 2 books and largely enjoyed them.

Stirling does an admirable job of weaving together ancient mythology, folklore and occult with notions of quantum physics and other high end theoretical sciences to create a pretty unique world-setting.

In addition his attention to detail is impressive, almost like walking through the streets of Istanbul, Rome and Florence.

There were, however, a couple of aspects which prevented me fr
Leons1701
Jun 12, 2013 Leons1701 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
OK, the title's a bit silly sounding. But it's also quite deliberate that it could be a synonym for twilight. Because you can't do a supernatural romance (and this is one, just with Stirling's typical nasty twist to it) without people thinking of Twilight (and there's even one direct reference in the story). The stakes are pretty high on this one as Ellen and Adrian must chase down their former ally before he can set off a nuke under the Council of Shadows. Which sounds like a pretty good idea, ...more
Lianne Burwell
Jun 04, 2013 Lianne Burwell rated it did not like it
If this is in fact the final book of the series, it was a pretty lousy ending. There's a lot of travelling, a character changing sides for no apparent reason, finally some real action in the last forty pages and a resolution that still has me scratching my head and wondering just whose body was the body at the end.

I will assume, since nothing is really resolved, that this is just the conclusion of a first trilogy, and that there will be more books later. I'm just not sure I'll be reading any of
Jeffrey Schmieder
Jan 04, 2015 Jeffrey Schmieder rated it it was ok
I liked the Shadowspawn world Stirling created, rich vampire families living large and preying on us mortals, but the story seems to be running out of gas by book three. Would love to see some good authors let loose in this world.
Kurt Vosper
Jul 09, 2014 Kurt Vosper rated it really liked it
It was a good follow up to the previous two books, but I had thought it was supposed to be the last book. The end however left me thinking that this isn't the last book?
Regardless, I enjoyed the majority of the book, it was much more action packed than the last two but I felt the end was rushed. Based on the pace of the rest of the book the final chase from the shores of the Black Sea to the church and the confrontation between the Breze's felt very quick, almost as though a deadline needed to
Nicole Luiken
Another Sunburst Award read, so no rating or review.
Mike Ratner
Oct 06, 2014 Mike Ratner rated it really liked it
Not a strong as the second book but the ending deserves its own star.
Mitchell
Brain bleach. Sigh. I read Stirling so I read his vampire horror. Clearly a mistake. At least its a different sort of vampire series - it also includes shape-shifting and torture and a certain amount of BDSM usually off-screen but only barely. And it's slow moving on top of that. And yet I do like some of the characters - this could have been an enjoyable story. Call it 2.5 of 3.
David
May 26, 2013 David rated it liked it
I don't think this is Mr. Stirling's best work. If this is the end of the trilogy as it claims to be it was rushed and the ending was not nearly as satisfying as it could be. Of course the ending as written allows much more to be written at a later date. I'd like to see that happen because there are questions to be answered in a future book.
Margali
Aug 19, 2013 Margali rated it it was ok
The only reason I've completed this trilogy is that I usually enjoy S.M. Stirling, but this was really not his best work. Also, the end makes me suspect it's not going to be a trilogy after all. I think this series is just a little too lurid for my taste, and I don't plan to continue reading any future novels in it.
Janice
Jun 01, 2014 Janice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: supernatural
A good ending. Wraps enough up to BE an ending, but leaves enough room that Stirling could write more if he wanted. Enjoyed this series a lot.
Starfire
Meh. I gave it a couple of chapters, but it's just not where my brain's at right now and I don't have the patience for it.

Much like the first two - I want to like it... but the writing just isn't working for me, damnit
David Marshall
Jul 20, 2013 David Marshall rated it did not like it
Almost completely unreadable.

David Weems
Dec 04, 2013 David Weems rated it liked it
I good finish to the series ... same comments apply to this volume as to its two predecessors.
EJ MACK
Not really happy about this ending because it held too many strings. Book 4?
Hank
Mar 06, 2014 Hank rated it liked it
A pretty good ending for the series. A little wicked.
Christie Burnworth
Christie Burnworth marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Kat Sharnoff
Kat Sharnoff is currently reading it
Jul 26, 2016
Kristin
Kristin rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2016
Dewayne Ferris
Dewayne Ferris rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2016
Mariola
Mariola rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2016
Jessicat
Jessicat marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Jessicat
Jessicat marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Jonathan Cronk
Jonathan Cronk rated it it was ok
May 29, 2016
Jeana Budnick
Jeana Budnick marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Rita
Rita marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Cherry Bomb (Siobhan Quinn, #3)
  • Walking In the Midst of Fire (Remy Chandler, #6)
  • Zombie Versus Fairy Featuring Albinos
  • The Havoc Machine (Clockwork Empire, #4)
  • The Preservation Kitchen: The Craft of Making and Cooking with Pickles, Preserves, and Aigre-doux
  • Portal (Boundary,#3)
  • Oh Pretty Bird (InCryptid, #0.10)
  • Dark Road Rising (Vampire Files, #12)
  • Fiery Edge of Steel (Noon Onyx, #2)
  • Writing the Mind Alive: The Proprioceptive Method for Finding Your Authentic Voice
  • Tarnished (Silver, #2)
  • Videssos Cycle, Volume One: The Misplaced Legion / An Emperor for the Legion (The Videssos Cycle, #1-2)
  • Classroom Assessment for Student Learning: Doing It Right--Using It Well
  • The Sword of Attila (Total War Rome #2)
  • Circle of Blood (Witch Hunt, #3)
  • Omega Days (Omega Days, #1)
  • In the Shadow of the Towers: Speculative Fiction in a Post-9/11 World
  • DragonFly (Missions of The DragonFly Squadron #1)
Stephen Michael Stirling is a French-born Canadian-American science fiction and fantasy author. Stirling is probably best known for his Draka series of alternate history novels and the more recent time travel/alternate history Nantucket series and Emberverse series.

MINI AUTO-BIOGRAPHY:
(personal website: source)

I’m a writer by trade, born in France but Canadian by origin and American by naturalizat
More about S.M. Stirling...

Shadowspawn (3 books)
  • A Taint in the Blood (Shadowspawn #1)
  • The Council of Shadows (Shadowspawn, #2)