Start by marking “Shifter's Wolf” as Want to Read:
Shifter's Wolf

Shifter's Wolf (Aralorn #1-2)

Includes her debut novel Masques and its sequel Wolfsbane—together in one volume

Before there was Mercy Thompson… In a world far removed from the Alpha and Omega werewolves… There was the shapeshifting mercenary Aralorn.

Masques
After an upbringing of proper behavior and oppressive expectations, Aralorn has fled her noble birthright for a life of adventure as a mercenar
Published December 31st 2012 by Ace (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Shifter's Wolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shifter's Wolf

Lucinda
Apr 20, 2013 Lucinda rated it really liked it
An undeniably well-written urban fantasy filled with kick-ass supernatural heroines and intriguing plots.

‘Shifter’s Wolf’ is a single volume edition containing 2 books within: ‘Masques’ and also ‘Wolfsbane’. I am so pleased that the cover caught my eye in the bookshop, as I am delighted to have discovered Patricia Briggs who is an excellent writer of this particular genre. These outstanding adventures are full of excitement and inspired creativity, complete with many twists and turns as to leav
Annette
Jun 12, 2015 Annette rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
My, how you've grown!
Having just finishing devouring both the Mercy and the Alpha & Omega books (start with Preying For Mercy) like they were going to self destruct in 3 days, I found myself casting about at the library for another likely candidate. Enter this omnibus edition of Briggs' very first novel and its sequel. The author provides a nice little disclaimer about how she really didn't have a clue what she was doing when she wrote it and how she wanted to re-write it for this edition,
Stefanie
Oct 28, 2012 Stefanie rated it it was amazing
I originally bought Masques and Wolfsbane a couple of years ago as separate books. I'm so happy to see that the publishers felt the need to re-release them together in one volume with such an awesome cover. I must say that I completely fell in love with them as much as I did her Mercy Thompson series and her Alpha & Omega series. My favorite of the two would have to be the second: Wolfsbane. I loved meeting the people who populated Aralorn's early life and how they interact with her when she ...more
Mskychick
Jan 04, 2013 Mskychick rated it really liked it
Didn't actually read Shifter's Wolf. I read the 2 books it contains, Masques and Wolfsbane, as individual books several years ago. I didn't want to get confused when following what I've read by Briggs, however, so I need to mark this as read in Goodreads.
Shazza Maddog
Jul 08, 2014 Shazza Maddog rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is actually two novels in one, Masques is our introduction to the two main characters, Aralorn and Wolf. Aralorn meets Wolf when he's in his wolf form, and doesn't realize for a while that he is human, but then the wolf starts talking, and his cover is blown, at least for her. The pair of them are both sorcerers, though Aralorn's magics are 'small' compared to Wolf's - she can shapechange into a mouse and an icelynx, and use spells to make sure people stay asleep, for example. Wolf, on the ...more
Taylor Alcantar
Sep 12, 2013 Taylor Alcantar rated it really liked it
This is a great anthology of two of Patricia Brigg's earliest works, Masques and Wolfsbane. Before each novel there is a letter from the author describing the process and events that led and delayed each one to publication. She seems a little apologetic in presenting her first work but I'm so glad she decided to re-publish them!

Aralorn is the eldest, illegitimate daughter of a Lord and one of the mysterious shape shifters. she inherited the talent to shift into select animals and change her huma
Mary
Jan 23, 2014 Mary rated it really liked it
Shifter's Wolf is a compilation of two novels written by Patricia Briggs. Masques was the first book she wrote. It didn't sell very well and went out of print in 1995. Wolfsbane, its' sequel, was written without a publisher and sat on a shelf for a while. After becoming successful (Mercy Thompson and Alpha and Omega), the author was able to do a polish of Masques and include the sequel in this edition.

I am a big fan of Patricia Briggs and, while I can see the newness of her writing in Masques,
Adele
Jul 05, 2013 Adele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Masques (four stars):
I ended up really enjoying this book. The characters were really interesting and although the plot occasionally felt a little patchy, it overall produced a fairly gripping read. Briggs' note at the start of the omnibus is true though - don't read this novel expecting her usual finesse. You can tell that it is her first novel, but only if you've read the rest of her work. If it's your first Briggs novel, I'd say it's on par with other books I've read by best-selling authors!
Cassandra Frederick
Jan 02, 2014 Cassandra Frederick rated it it was ok
I wanted so badly to love this because I love Patricia Briggs and the Mercedes Thompson series, but this just wasn’t for me. The story, while very interesting at times, tended to drag on with things that weren’t really necessary. Like, I know that Aralorn is supposed to be a great storyteller, but several times, things came to a halt so she could tell another story. I don’t thing that was necessary. And it wasn’t the only time things dragged on for stuff that I feel wasn’t needed. One thing I di ...more
Ivan Benedict
Nov 28, 2015 Ivan Benedict rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book contains a novel and a sequel to the novel
written many years later. This is fantasy involving a
land that is ruled by a magae, who has control of the
kingdom, largely because of his strong magic. His
nemesis is his own son, who is a shapeshifter and
discovers eventually that he has his own magic as
well. The main character is a young woman, who is
a professional spy and a rather limited shapeshifter.
She and the son team up together in the first novel;
and their relationship grows closer as
Helen-Louise
Apr 14, 2013 Helen-Louise rated it really liked it
This is the first book by Patricia Briggs that I have read - actually two books under one cover. I thoroughly enjoyed both, and wish that there were going to be a third to wrap up some loose threads at the end of Wolfsbane. Aralorn is a strong and resourceful female lead, and Wolf the dark and damaged hero - sounds cliched, and there is a bit of that, but the reason things get to be cliched is because readers like them! In an author's note, Briggs comments that these books were very early in her ...more
Tasneem
This is the second time I'm reading these stories. The first time it was in e-book format but then I picked up the paperback in the library and enjoyed them all over again. I am a sucker for books - and re-reading old favourites gives me the chance to see if they stand up to further scrutiny. These do. I see why Briggs was hesitant about Masques, it is definitely not as strong as some of the Alpha and Omega and Mercy stories, and yet, I loved the plot, the characters and the world nonetheless. A ...more
Impy
Jul 16, 2013 Impy rated it really liked it
I finally got my hands on Shifters Wolf by Patricia Briggs, which contains her FIRST book "Masques" and its sequel "Wolfsbane". She has a nice note in there about how the books are flawed, and she tried to improve on them in this edition, but that because loyal fans loved Masques so much, she didn't want to change it too much. I could tell, reading it, that she has improved immensely since she started writing, but her characters were just as engaging and amazing back then. I loved both books.
Lyn Mckenzie
Nov 27, 2014 Lyn Mckenzie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG this book is awesome!!! I loved it and could not put it down, was gutted when it was finished. I so want more stories about wolf and Aralorn. This is sthe first book i have read by patricia Briggs but i want them all now. Would recommend this to everyone, would love to know what happens with Aralorns little brother.
v
May 17, 2016 v rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read all of Patricia Briggs Mercy Thompson series and have slowly been making my way through her older books. This book is two books in one, and a really lovely story. It has romance, action, characters you care about and a story line that flows. For fans of Briggs other work I would recommend this. And if you haven't read any of her other books? Get a move on!
Jacq
Nov 05, 2012 Jacq rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A meld of paranormal and fantasy works well, after reading the forward my expectations were quite low, this being one of her first and not a favourite, but it’s a light read. Fun, fast, with a few gaps that she readily acknowledges; something easy to pick up and put down, or even read in instalments.
Patricia
Mar 06, 2015 Patricia rated it really liked it
This is Ms. Briggs first novel, Maques, and its sequel, Wolfsbane, released together into one volume. Although there were a couple of problems with the story, the two main characters, Aralorn and Wolf (aka Cain), are engaging, and their adventures exciting. Overall, it was a fun book!! I would love to read more about them some day.
Mika
Jan 29, 2014 Mika rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The writing was utterly beauty and the character were strong and rich but I couldn't get into the story. I am not a huge fan of magic and wizardry. I love her other series but I had to give these a try.
Anne
Aug 21, 2012 Anne is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Patricia Briggs is a fabulous story teller. This series was one of her earliest. Hard to put down book.

I have read all four books in the series. Different characters but the same historical era but the latter two books aren't equal to the first two books.
Brian E. Spivey
Aug 20, 2013 Brian E. Spivey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having cut my teeth with the Mercy Thompson series, it took me a while to warm up to this new heroine, but Aralorn is a wonderful character in her own right.

Another shapeshifter involved in another mystery, but in a medieval world. Kept my attention locked almost from beginning to end.
Summer
I would give the Masques portion of this book a 3.5 or 4 star rating. It wasn't anything I would rave about but it kept my interest and I thought the world was interesting. The Wolfsbane portion of this book I didn't like as much. It was okay but I felt less engaged by it.
RegencyEmma
Jul 22, 2013 RegencyEmma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH!

This book is definitely one of my favourites!

Action, Adventure, Magic, a hint of Romance. Brilliant writing and amazing characters! Basically, everything you could ever want in a book.

Patricia Briggs is a wonderful author.
Yvonne Marron de Martin
This was a wonderful story. Exciting battles both ordinary and magical ones. I would so love the story about Aralorn and Cain to continue. Im already missing this world and all the people and others in it. ...more
Katie Umland
Jun 30, 2014 Katie Umland rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Absolutly loved these two books!!! I found myself taking Aralorn's spot as the main charater. The details transported me into a world where magic is real. I can't wait to add the other books to my must read list.
sooooooomiii
I didn't even finish this. Stopped a quarter of the way through Wolfsbane as it was just so slow paced. I love Patricia Briggs, but my god has she improved since back in them days! Still I would have loved to know how it all ended, it's just a shame I can't be asked!
Miss Clark

This is Masques and Wolfsbane together in one paperback edition - see individual reviews for more. It was great to have them together, although I liked the old cover-art better.
Pat
Jul 27, 2014 Pat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Really enjoyed this pair of books, with Aralorn and Wolf's personalities and actions beautifully realised.
Joni
Loved it! The second book shows how the author evolved over the years. As always I am in love with her characters.
Susan
dogpossum
Sep 07, 2014 dogpossum rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Total rubbish.
Patricia Briggs Fans: Shifter's Wolf? 8 103 Jan 08, 2013 03:47PM
  • The Prince of Ill Luck (Warhorse of Esdragon, #1)
  • Beneath a Midnight Moon
  • Lion Heart (Sentinels #2)
  • Winter's Demon (Vesik, #3)
  • Seasons of Wither (The Great North Woods Pack, #3)
  • The Wolf Hunt
  • Blood Spirits (Dobrenica, #2)
  • Soul Whisperer (The Tracker #3)
  • Ash and Silver (The Sanctuary Duet, #2)
  • All We See & Seem (Timber Wolves Trilogy, #3.6)
  • Wizard at Large (The Dresden Files Omnibus, #3)
  • Forbidden Witches (The Tarot Witches, #2)
  • In Sheep's Clothing
  • Human Error (World of the Lupi, #8.5)
  • Lunatic Detective (Lunatic Life, #2)
  • The Urban Fantasy Anthology
  • The Secret of Dragonhome (Dragonhome, #1)
  • I Am Wolf (The Children of Nox, #1)

Patricia Briggs was born in Butte, Montana to a children’s librarian who passed on to her kids a love of reading and books. Patricia grew up reading fairy tales and books about horses, and later developed an interest in folklore and history. When she decided to write a book of her own, a fantasy book seemed a na
More about Patricia Briggs...

Aralorn (2 books)
  • Masques (Sianim, #1 / Aralorn, #1)
  • Wolfsbane (Sianim, #4 / Aralorn, #2)