Start by marking “Decadence” as Want to Read:
Decadence

Decadence

New York Times bestselling author Eric Jerome Dickey returns to the life of Nia Simone Bijou (of Pleasure fame) as she embarks on a quest to enhance her artistic gifts through heightened sensory experience, Hollywood-style.

Four years have passed since the events of Pleasure, and Nia’s success as a writer has grown, bringing her from Atlanta to Los Angeles. But she rema
Published April 23rd 2013 by Dutton

To ask other readers questions about Decadence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Decadence

Addicted by ZaneNervous by ZanePurple Panties by ZaneAfterburn by ZaneGettin' Buck Wild by Zane
Zane
32nd out of 39 books — 118 voters

More lists with this book...

Dera
Mar 06, 2013 Dera rated it it was ok
I don't consider myself a prude and I have read a certain amount of erotica, but this book--- well what can I say? Sex, sex and mo sex does not a book make.
I read the $1.99 Kindle download, The Education of Nia Simone Bijou. I understand that the authors and publishers are able to make money with these "prequel/prelude" short stories that whet your appetite. I hope I'm not being facetious when I say, the short story was all I needed to know about Nia Simone Bijou; I would have been just fine wit
OOSA
May 19, 2013 OOSA rated it really liked it
Watcher

PLEASURE’s Nia Simone Bijou is back. Four years have passed and she has found success with a film she’s written. On the crux of its debut, Nia’s membership to Decadence, an exclusive pleasure palace, has been approved. While exploring a new level of sexual freedom, Nia can’t help but also be consumed with Prada, a businessman with whom she is intimately acquainted; Bret, her workout partner with whom she shared one night of bliss; and her first love, which ended in heartbreak and betrayal
Robert Carraher
May 03, 2013 Robert Carraher rated it it was amazing

A couple time per decade, someone publishes an adult novel that becomes the talk of the book lovers world. In 2011, E.L. James published 50 Shades Of Grey, then quickly capitalized on the success by churning out two more books to make it a trilogy.

As successful as these ‘erotic books” turned out to be, they also picked up as much criticism from readers and authors as being badly written. A lot of this criticism was without a doubt jealousy for the success this relatively unknown author received.
Brittany
Jul 19, 2014 Brittany rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, sexy-love
I can't believe I'm about to say this about an EJD book, but I didn't like it. I give it 2 stars because I always like a sentence that is well written and thought provoking and he delivers several of those throughout the jumbled mess that is this book. I just could not get with this book. For me, it rambled and was incoherent at times. I didn't follow some of the thought process behind parts of it and it confused me. The best 'relationship' Nia has is with Bret and it gets a little bit part and ...more
Latiffany
May 16, 2013 Latiffany rated it really liked it
If you have not read The Miseducation of Nia Simone, you should begin there first. It will help you put the characters in this book into context. You should also read Pleasure-then you will have a full understanding of the main character Miss Nia Simone Bijou.

Dickey does an excellent job creating intelligent characters. His characters are usually strong willed, well read, well traveled, educated and good looking.

Nia is no exception. The issue is the thing that is supposed to draw the reader into
Kim
Nov 26, 2013 Kim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: erotica
Every time I finish an EJD book I just have to drop the iPad, close my eyes, exhale, and say wow! This was a heavenly erotic, intellectually stimulating tale of Nia Simone's journey. Often times I have to re-read his words to make sure I understood it correctly the first time, take it in, ponder it, and keep going. This place Decadence, every time Nia was there I couldn't help but to think to myself is this place real? If so take me there! It is probably everyone's secret life fantasy coming to ...more
Ava
Jul 06, 2013 Ava rated it did not like it
My worst experience with EJD ever. The main character, Nia, is slut. I don't mind smut breaks in a novel, but at least give me a plot, a story to get into. Also to make worse, the overuse of the words "yoni" and "lingam"....enuff already, it was almost very page. I found the character's inner monologue very tedious to read.

EJD I don't know what story u were trying to tell but it didn't come across. The Gideon series, Chasing Destiny and Genevieve were excellent reads. Please recapture the magic
Monique
Jun 18, 2013 Monique rated it it was ok
Shelves: library-book
Sorry I just couldn't do it. Way to much explicit sex with a rambling storyline that seems like its on crack. Totally disappointed but I guess I should have read a few reviews before cracking the cover. Best believe this wont happen to me again. I'm sure that those that can read sex scene after sex scene will really like this one. Y'all can have this one.
Carla
Apr 09, 2015 Carla rated it it was ok
Smut + long prosaic passages.
Reading in Black & White
Let me get this out of the way at the very beginning, there is a TON of S-E-X in Decadence so you have been warned. I mean, geez people, we are talking about the one and only, Miss Nia Simone Bijou here!!! If you have an issue with sex, then I will let you know now that Decadence is not the book for you. But, if you are open to reading about something we all (hopefully) enjoy, then this is the book for you!!!

Decadence takes place a few years after Pleasure (released in 2009) and Nia is now a suc
Alta
Jul 18, 2013 Alta rated it really liked it
Eric Jerome Dickey is one of my favorite authors! It's to the point where I almost always buy his books the first week that they come out. I have noticed though, that over the years, his books have gone from "sista girl" African American fiction to something much darker and more cerebral. This book goes along the same theme. Decadence is a book about Simone Bijou, a character that he featured in Pleasure and The Education of Nia Simone Bijou. It's different because Nia was the main character in ...more
Autumn Joi
May 29, 2013 Autumn Joi rated it liked it
It was an entertaining read. There are things I like and dislike about it. Sexual content aside, it has an interesting theme--the journey of self-discovery, something every person should take the time to discover. The plot itself is pretty thin, but since this is more of a sexual journey of discovery, that can be overlooked to a certain degree. I have a love/hate relationship with EJD's writing style. He loves detail, which is good insofar as giving you an idea of the setting; however, the ...more
Trelani Michelle
Aug 13, 2013 Trelani Michelle rated it liked it
This was one of the toughest reviews that I've done in a while. EJD is an incredible writer. Allow me to first say that. The words were poetic and beautifully written, inspired by one of my favorite authors, Anais Nin. My problem was that there was no plot...just a series of happenings. The ending was also upsetting. My best guess is that the book was actually complete at 50-60,000 words, but the publisher required more and the result was fluff. The fluff was tons of well-written, though ...more
Natasha
Jun 21, 2013 Natasha rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio
The first half (6 discs) was just too much - overly detailed erotic scenes that seemed to drag on in my opinion. I actually took a little time off before finishing the second half of the book. It got a little better the second half, not as many sex scenes and more of a storyline for the main character Nia Simone Bijou and her supporting cast. The long erotic scenes overpowered the book and turned me off, it just seemed over done and may have come across better if scaled back a bit. Also the ...more
Kristal Jordan
Apr 27, 2013 Kristal Jordan rated it it was ok
I'm a huge Eric fan, however this book wasn't good. I really hate to say this, the storyline was very boring and nothing o want to keep reading.
Malika
May 19, 2013 Malika rated it it was ok
Shelves: didn-t-grab-me
I was going to labor thru this, then I thought...why? There's other (better) books, many by EJD, to read.
M.C. Walker
Jul 23, 2013 M.C. Walker rated it it was amazing
With olive skin, lengthy locks of love, and a broad grin its no wonder masterful storyteller Eric Jerome Dickey is a fan favorite and my favorite author. He`s easy on the eyes, down to earth, funny, and can make a sister take notes on pleasing her lover in and out of the bedroom.

For more than a decade Dickey has implanted characters in our hearts and minds that linger long after the last page. From his early work in Milk in my coffee of two passionate blurring the lines of love to the heart pou
LiteraryMarie
Mar 19, 2013 LiteraryMarie rated it really liked it
It's been a few years since Pleasure; Nia Simone Bijou is finally back. Her literary career is successful. Her love life is on hold while she explores and indulges in pleasure. Nia Simone Bijou is a member of Decadence, an adult-themed private club. Yes, THAT type of club. Sowing wild oats before settling down is an understatement. Everyone and everything is game!

Sex clubs are real and finally an author writes about this secluded world of temptation.This book is not for prudes. There is plenty s
J
Jun 24, 2013 J rated it it was amazing
(FROM JACKET)"New York Times" bestselling author Eric Jerome Dickey returns to a character he created in his celebrated novel of erotic daring, "Pleasure". Four years have passed in the life of Nia Simone Bijou, and she is approaching the height of her artistic powers. A film she has written is poised for international success, the studio is eager for a sequel, and the media are fascinated by her work. Yet her imaginative mind is wandering.

Though Nia is much desired-by the mysterious, often unav
Zarinah
I finally finished this over written novel. This book could of been better had someone( an editor) went through the book and deleted a lot of the sex scenes, main character ranting, and inter monologue.

I get she was into sex and you can say it in a page dont take 5 chapters of being in a sex club describing different sexual positions with faceless characters it just kills the plot.

The plot doesn't really reveal itself until almost the end, which is not much of a plot but it was better than th
Metris
Aug 08, 2013 Metris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
2 words "DOUBLE FIYAH" Decadence was on fire from beginning to end.

I was a little worried about reading after seeing some 2 star rating...Yes this book was VERY EROTIC (which was a plus for me) however Nia Simone story was so deep.

From "Pleasure" to "Education of Nia Simone Bijou" to Decadence was an amazing journey of her life, attempting to find out who the true Nia Simone is after being heart broken by the man she thought was her KING.... finding out what she wanted & needed out of lif
La Mala ✌
Oct 05, 2014 La Mala ✌ rated it liked it
Estoy un poco decepcionada; principalmente porque esperaba (ansiaba) que aparecieran ciertas personas o al menos ese , cuya historia en Pleasure quedó tan inconclusa... Peeeero, esta novela sigue las aventuras de Nina, de nuevo sola por el mundo y con más hombres de los que puede manejar. Si bien Nina es uno de mis personajes de erótica favoritos y, no puedo dejar de sentir que a esta novela le faltó cerrar aquel tema que sobró de su libro anterior.

3.5

Eric Jerome Dickey sigue siendo, en mi opi
Charlene Richardson
Jun 01, 2013 Charlene Richardson rated it liked it
This book was very well written, which can always be expected with an EJD book. Being that I read the kindle release The Education of Nia Simon Bijou I wasn't expecting for that particular past to pop up in the story. The sex scenes were entertaining and fulfilling, but the overall plot was very thin. Nia has been on this journey of discovering herself sexually, especially after all the things "The Twins" introduced her to in the book Pleasure. In this book she takes it up another level and ...more
Kendra Mack
Sep 05, 2014 Kendra Mack rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Is hot here or is it just me?

I'm a long time Eric Jerome Dickey fan; going almost ten years! I have loved and hated many of characters, but Nia Simone Bijou takes the cake! That woman is hot!!! Her style, depth of knowledge and chemistry are incredible. I cried with her, I loved with her, I experimented with her, and changed preconceived thoughts with her. Pleasure did things to me, The Education Of Nia Simone Bijou put things in perspective, but Decadence....mmmm.

This book brought Nia Simone's
Debbie
Jun 29, 2013 Debbie rated it it was ok
First I have to say that 50 Shades has nothing on this book. This book was pretty x-rated. It was well written as all Eric Jerome Dickey's books are. However, the main character was mean and pretentious and I just did not like her at all.
Dionna Johnson
Jul 29, 2013 Dionna Johnson rated it did not like it
I couldn't get past the first chapter!!!! I'm sorry...Eric Jerome Dickey's style of writing has changed so much since he first came out. I can't get with him anymore. Sadly this attempt was probably my last time reading his books.
Michelle Rayford
May 13, 2013 Michelle Rayford rated it liked it
Shelves: african-american
I'm a self proclaimed EJD fan but I could barely finish this book. Some scenes were so redundant that I had to skip them. Please leave Nia alone and bring back Gideon.
Marie Dee
Oct 24, 2016 Marie Dee rated it it was ok
I am no stranger to EJD and his writing. It definitely fills a void left by others. However, this book irritated me. I know that Nia is created as an educated character, which is all well and good, but the word choice throughout irritated me beyond words. If I read about "yoni" and "lingam" one more time, I was going to scream. I actually struggled to finish the book, which is very unlike me. Much of the writing and word choice was superfluous and annoying.
LC Shelton
Nov 30, 2016 LC Shelton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing plot.

The story was amazingly thought out and laid before you. The fluidness of the character scene transitions was superbly done.
Danielle G
May 18, 2015 Danielle G rated it it was ok
  • Total Eclipse of the Heart
  • The Ties That Bind
  • Somebody Pick Up My Pieces
  • If You Don't Know Me (If I Can't Have You, #3)
  • Lost Daughters
  • Heard It All Before
  • Money Never Sleeps: A Millionaire Wives Club Novel
  • Consequences
  • The Ex-Wife
  • The Rich Girls' Club
  • The Man in 3B
  • A House Divided (Reverend Curtis Black, #10)
  • Remember Me
Eric Jerome Dickey was born in Memphis, Tennessee and attended the University of Memphis (the former Memphis State), where he earned his degree in Computer System Technology. In 1983, he moved to Los Angeles to pursue a career in engineering.

After landing a job in the aerospace industry as a software developer, Eric Jerome Dickey's artistic talents surfaced, inspiring him to become an actor and a
More about Eric Jerome Dickey...

“A great relationship was when someone accepted your past, supported your present, and encouraged your future.” 4 likes
“SLUT (noun): A woman with the morals of a man” 3 likes