Start by marking “Never Goin' Back: Winning the Weight-Loss Battle For Good” as Want to Read:
Never Goin' Back: Winning the Weight-Loss Battle For Good

Never Goin' Back: Winning the Weight-Loss Battle For Good

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  433 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
Al Roker’s aha! moment came a decade ago. He was closing in on 350 pounds when he promised his dying father that he wasn’t going to keep living as he was. That led to his decision for a stomach bypass—and his life-changing drop to 190. But fifty of those pounds gradually crept back until he finally devised a plan, stuck to it, and got his life back.

Never Going Back is Rok
Published December 31st 2012 by NAL (first published December 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Never Goin' Back, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Goin' Back

Angela Risner
Jan 28, 2013 Angela Risner rated it it was amazing
I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. I haven't always been a fan of Al Roker on the Today show, but I feel as though this reveals him to be a very warm human being.

Al struggled with his weight most of his life. He would diet, lose weight, and then gain it back plus packing on more weight. Sound familiar? Yes, a lot of us have been there.

He made the decision to undergo weight-loss surgery and was able to lose over 150 lbs. However, he did end up regaining some and knew that
Julie Sousa
Mar 06, 2013 Julie Sousa rated it did not like it
Terrible. This book was so disappointing. Al Roker had the perfect platform to advocate for healthy eating, growing up with hard working parents, how he made it in his career. And he honestly fell so short, the book only skimmed the surface of his life. He never went into depth about much, except for the joking. He made (not funny) jokes about everything, it became tiresome and was a chore to finish the book.
Ingrid
Apr 05, 2013 Ingrid rated it did not like it
Watching Al Roker on the Today show I have enjoyed his role in the group. He often plays the joker and engages the crowd as part of his wind-up to the weather forecast, but I have often felt that under his smiling facade, he wants to say something not so nice under his breath. This book shows more of the main behind the personality, but even here, he is on the defensive, and perhaps a little mean in the process.

I find I don't care for Roker's tone throughout this book. Comments about what sales
Latiffany
May 20, 2013 Latiffany rated it it was amazing
This was an awesome quick read. I read an interview that Roker did with Parade magazine a few months ago. It was humurous and genuine and he offered strategies that he uses to keep the weight off.

The one that really caught my eye was weighing himself every day. I lost 43 pounds over the course of a year and have been battling with the scale, but I must admit when I started weighing myself daily it eased the pressure.

Before reading the article, I'd weigh myself once a week and be heartbroken if
Sheryl
Feb 02, 2013 Sheryl rated it really liked it
Quick read. I've loved Al Roker as a weatherman and TV personality. It's nice to add him as a good author, too. Lots of funny stories about his life time effort to lose weight- pretty much the same stories/feelings that we all have in our constant diet battle. It was interesting for me to read it from a man's perspective (that was a first for me). My least favorite part of the book was the "cleanse" section- I skipped over some of that section. It felt too much like a hard sell.
Enjoyable book-
John Mccullough
Feb 10, 2014 John Mccullough rated it really liked it
This is a personal view of his struggle with weight. Like all "self help" books it is verbose and repetitious, but this just serves to pound the message into the reader; it reads well and all this is helpful. It includes many embarrassing incidents, from childhood bullying to daily insults to diarrhoea in the White House. On the positive side, helpful hints on how to deal with the situations, from the viewpoint of an adult - kids and spouses are dealt with in detail. Includes a few bad words, bu ...more
Stephanie
Feb 18, 2013 Stephanie rated it liked it
‘Never Going Back’ is segmented into different areas of Al’s life and his focus on his life struggle with weight loss. He first introduced his family background. His dad’s dedication to working hard for his family and his mom’s comfort food laid the foundation on Al’s hard-working attitude and his love for food. When Al’s father was on his dead bed about fifteen years ago, Roker Sr. pleaded to Al to do one thing for him – make a commitment to get his health and weight in check so he could live a ...more
Connie
Feb 08, 2015 Connie rated it really liked it
Shelves: health
I liked Al Roker when he was heavy and I like him trim. He seems like the genuine deal -- straightforward, funny, competent, empathetic, bawdy. I like Never Goin' Back a lot. He sketches his fight with weight -- that is to say, with eating out of control. It takes courage to admit that publicly. And he describes his work to leave off that unhealthy eating and take on a healthy life.

He talks about his own choices for healthy eating and exercise without in the least proclaiming that this is what
Don McNay
the best book written by a man who has done weight loss surgery.

candid, insightful, entertaining and Roker is a first class role model who has kept the weight off for over a decade. I list it as "must read" in the bibliography of my book.
-Don McNay, author of Brand New Man: My Weight Loss Journey, which will be released on February 27, 2916
Noreen
I felt like Al Roker was speaking directly to me as I read this. He has a very conversational style of writing that makes it very interesting and entertaining to read. He has had a lifelong struggle with his weight and this book explores that tough journey. Al totally changed his lifestyle and way of eating which shows in his current physique. Many interesting insights and recipes.
Mimi Jones
Feb 25, 2013 Mimi Jones rated it liked it
The likable Al Roker talks about his lifelong weight problem and how he has overcome it for good, by means of a gastric bypass operation and a strict "cleansing" diet. The best parts of the book are the personal anecdotes, especially the opening when he tells of his deathbed promise to his beloved father that he would lose weight and be around for his own children.

How much of Roker's advice will be helpful to other obese people is debatable: gastric bypass is radical, expensive and dangerous, a
Beth
Jul 19, 2015 Beth rated it really liked it
A very open and honest look at weight loss surgery. If anyone is considering such surgery, or has a family member or friend considering it, this is a good book to pick up. Al is his normal engaging and numerous self throughout.
Vertrees
Jun 22, 2013 Vertrees rated it really liked it
I have watched the Today show so much, and I love Al Roker's great personality. His story was very similar to what I have read from Oprah's struggles with her weight. Emotional eating, wishing someone would have said something about getting fat, not wishing anyone said anything about being fat, etc. Both thought they were fine bc they were successful and wore designer clothes. Both in serious denial. Both finally kicked the habit (a few times) when they decided they were ready, and no sooner and ...more
Mary
Jul 01, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it
In his book, "Never Goin' Back", popular TV weatherman Al Roker does tell his life story, but does so in light of his weight. He shares about his struggle with being overweight for much of his life. However, when his father passed away, his dad had Al make a deathbed promise that he would lose the extra weight -- for good! For awhile, Mr. Roker notes, he had trouble trying to figure out how to do this. He recounts how he had tried just about every fad diet out there, only to lose the weight and ...more
Odessa Shepherd
Jan 05, 2015 Odessa Shepherd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We are old friends

I loved this book. I can relate to it because I struggle with weight as well. It's one day at a time and I liked the recipes at the end. You go Al.
Gabbi
Jul 19, 2016 Gabbi rated it liked it
Pretty typical extreme weight loss book. But Al Roker narrates it (this was my first audible book) and is great as the narrator. Honest account of what he went through.
L
Jan 25, 2013 L rated it really liked it
Al Roker does a great job writing this book! It is very humorous while discussing a very serious matter -- weight management! He gives practical and easy to follow advise as it pertains to the subject. My major "take-away" is that we must re-focus our thoughts from "dieting" to a "life-style change". I am VERY motivated to lose the remaining weight that I had been struggling with. There are meal plans and exercise recommendations as well as easy recipes! I would definitely recommend this book to ...more
Chris
May 19, 2014 Chris rated it liked it
Very fast, entertaining book following Al's weight loss struggles and success. It is a good fast read to motivate you toward losing weight.
Tamara McKinney
Jan 12, 2016 Tamara McKinney rated it it was amazing
This was a really good read. I enjoyed his emotional writing. Much better then I thought it was going to be. Very encouraging.
Lori
Mar 29, 2014 Lori rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It was funny, real, and insightful. After losing 40lbs myself, I can relate to his message and I agree.
'heidi
Aug 01, 2014 'heidi rated it really liked it
Thank you, Al Roker, for helping me to be a healthier, more compliant post-bariatric surgery patient.
Erica
Nov 09, 2015 Erica rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
I could have done without the hard sell of the "detox" diet in the final third.
Marti
Feb 23, 2014 Marti rated it really liked it
read it in one day... couldn't put it down. Funny and candid.... very interesting.
Melinda
Apr 03, 2015 Melinda rated it really liked it
It was a real insight as to his struggle with his weight and all the things he did in order to combat the problem. Not really what I was looking for when I started it but it was a good book.
Karyn Palmer
Dec 21, 2014 Karyn Palmer rated it really liked it
I love Al Roker so this was an enjoyable read
Amina
Jun 02, 2014 Amina rated it liked it
It was a nice book about his challenges about weight and going through bariatric surgery. It striking that his weight effected his marriage. I didn't know he has been married three times as result of his weight over all it was an ok read
Megan Vogt
May 15, 2014 Megan Vogt rated it really liked it
A nice candid approach to weight loss surgery.
Carla
Jun 24, 2014 Carla rated it liked it
It was OK.
Monica
Nov 16, 2013 Monica rated it liked it
Very good advice for anyone starting out on their weight loss journey. I realize Al had surgery, but the end message is still the same: Watch what you eat, keep track of it, exercise, don't let one cookie throw you off track, and don't expect miracles overnight. The story seemed a little jumbled at times, but as I said, the message is right on, and you're never going to have long-term success with weight loss without permanent lifestyle change.
Patti
Jan 20, 2013 Patti added it
Al Roker is indeed a public figure with alot to say! I wasn't aware of how many times he tried to lose weight or stick to a fitness regimen over the years! He is very funny and candid plus brutally honest!

For anyone who struggles with their weight or trying to like fitness, this may be a winner for you! Finally, the recipes he includes look easy and satisfying! This book will be a keeper on my shelves!
  • The Express: The Ernie Davis Story
  • I Got This: How I Changed My Ways and Lost What Weighed Me Down
  • What I Learned When I Almost Died: How a Maniac TV Producer Put Down His Blackberry and Started to Live His Life
  • Uggie--My Story
  • The Heavy: A Mother, a Daughter, a Diet—a Memoir
  • Unmeasured Strength
  • A Long Way from Home
  • The Sisters of Sinai: How Two Lady Adventurers Discovered the Hidden Gospels
  • The Cat Who Came Back for Christmas- How a Cat Brought a Family the Gift of Love
  • Impossible Odds: The Kidnapping of Jessica Buchanan and Her Dramatic Rescue by SEAL Team Six
  • Tales from a Midwife
Albert Lincoln "Al" Roker, Jr. is an American television meteorologist as well as an actor and book author. He is best known as being the weather anchor on NBC's Today
More about Al Roker...