Start by marking “The Good Life for Less: Giving Your Family Great Meals, Good Times, and a Happy Home on a Budget” as Want to Read:

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  132 ratings  ·  41 reviews
When Amy Clark and her husband found themselves in unexpected financial trouble right before the birth of their first child, they quickly learned the importance of smart budgeting and making a little money go a long way. In this book, Amy offers up a clever lifestyle plan that is long on creativity and short on cost to help you achieve a peaceful, thrifty home and a loving ...more
Published January 2nd 2013 by Perigee Trade (first published December 31st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Good Life for Less, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good Life for Less

Sink Reflections by Marla CilleyHome Comforts by Cheryl MendelsonThe House That Cleans Itself by Mindy Starns ClarkLife, Love and Vintage Housekeeping by Alison MayOrganizing from the Inside Out by Julie Morgenstern
Cleaning House
43rd out of 49 books — 21 voters
Personal Budget Kit by EnodareHome Economics by Jennifer McKnight-TrontzAdulting by Kelly Williams BrownThe Good Life for Less by Amy Allen ClarkCut Your Grocery Bill in Half with America's Cheapest Family by Steve Economides
Home Ec 101
4th out of 13 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Amy
Dec 29, 2012 Amy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Of course, I am biased on this review, but I am awfully proud of this book! Thank you all for your love and support over the years for our family!
Laura DeLuca
The very first thing I liked about this book, was the look. Horribly, I do judge a book by it's cover, and this cover already had me sold and excited to read it. This book covers everything from budgets, to family time, crafts, meals, and holidays.

The budgeting and food budget areas weren't really applicable to my family, as I already do a budget and we eat differently, but the crafts, decorating and gifting ideas were very useful. I always struggle with finding new ways to celebrate the holida
Kristen Doyle
Getting finances and household management under control takes time and effort. Amy's book gives readers simple and practical advice for how to make a happy, organized, debt free home. Her tips for frugal living with a focus on building family traditions are something every family can gleam insight from.
I will keep Amy's book handy and will refer to it often!
Jessica
This book was full of practical tips and recipes that I'm sure I will refer to many times in the future. My favorite takeaways were all the ideas of ways to make holidays special without breaking the bank. Highly recommend this book for all moms!
Meadow
I had such high hopes for this book, but alas, it didn't really come through. I did come away with a few good ideas but overall it was not very helpful. It turns out I am much more frugal than I thought, since I already do a majority of the things suggested in this book. If I were your average eat-out-all-the-time, sit-and-watch-cable, meat eating American this probably would have been great. But I am your less than average frugal, home cooked meals, no TV type of American. I definitely like the ...more
Stephanie
I am really wishing this book had been around when I was a new wife, when I didn't have a CLUE how to keep house, cook, or manage our finances! I love that Amy makes living on a budget sound glamorous! And who says it isn't? ;) I especially loved the chapter on holidays. It really motivated me to start some new family traditions. I think this book would make a great gift to any young woman, newlywed, college student, etc!
Carrie
Immensely readable, full of practical tips for all moms, this book is both instructive and full of charm. And did I mention the recipes sound superb?!
Sheri
I really thought that this book was great! It is filled with realistic ideas about how to enjoy life on a budget. But regardless of your means, Amy's ideas emphasize that time spent simplifying and organizing your home, your life and your budget brings a quality and enjoyment of family time that is often lost while we are busy racing the rats. The traditions that she has made for her family, once a necessity (i.e. Friday pizza nights, board game nights) are ones that anyone can implement on any ...more
Nichole
I've been reading Amy's blog for years and love her style. I enjoyed reading this book and reading about how it came to be on the blog. The book flowed well and was packed full of good tips (things I wish I would have known 7 years ago before becoming a Mom and wife). Many of the things mentioned in the book I knew, but I enjoyed the recipe and cleaning sections. It would have been nice to have the option to tear the recipes out of the book and I would have liked pictures. Check out Amy's blog a ...more
Carolyn
This book had a few good ideas in it, but quite honestly the main theme is pretty common sense stuff; don't eat out, make budgets. As a person who tries to lives within my means, I think the author could have included a few recipes for homemade stocks, and basic rib sticking food or more ideas for leftovers. I, personally, consider myself the Queen of leftovers! Times are tough, I think that no frugal living book is complete without a few such recipes. I really did like the slick appearance of ...more
Good tips and recipes especially for families with younger children. Not as relevant to those with teens and preteens. But would highly recommend for those with younger kids or someone looking for some household basics.

I loved the recipe section and used the homemade bbq sauce right away to rave reviews. I will definitely try more of her make yourself seasonings and sauces. I also look forward to trying some of the homemade cleaning solutions.

I hope Amy continues to share her homemaking tips as
Beth
A quick, easy read that touches lightly on many areas of household budgeting but wasn't as in-depth as I would have liked. This could be a good introduction for someone who is brand new to managing a household and needs starting ideas to save money, but for many moms a lot of this info is nothing new. For me, the recipes are the most useful part of the book, both for the food and homemade cleaners. Some cute birthday party ideas too but I would have liked more. Three and a half stars.
Rachel
Wonderful book by a great local "mom blogger!" How fun to pick up a book at the library with some familiar faces on the cover :)
Loved the recipes and the great ideas for creating frugal yet memorable times with your kids and family. There are useful tips for streamlining your household chores, cooking, etc so that you can have time to enjoy doing things that you love. I liked the general theme of being thankful for what you have.
Elaine
I really like this book. The copy I read is from the library, but I think I may have to buy myself a copy. She has a lot of good tips and ideas in there, some I wish I had known when my kids were small. Everything makes sense and makes me want to be more frugal with things that I buy. There are also a lot of recipes using basic things that sound very good. I will definitely be trying some out.
Alicia
I wish I would have had this book years ago! Although, I still got a lot of great ideas and recipes I think new mothers would gain a lot from this book! I will be giving it as gifts to my friends and family members! This book is easy reading and reads in a way that you feel your best friend is talking to you.
Tracy
I am a sucker for books on ways to do things better, whether it is organizing or saving money. This one had some nice recipes (although it was interesting to note that some of them called for store-bought mixes rather than home-made ones) and some good ideas to help you live within your means.
Vickie
Quick to read and stuffed full of valuable information for families who are seeking to live a healthier lifestyle. Clark shares recipes, helpful suggestions and testimonies to give you a good start in living more frugally, more organically, and more healthely. I learned a great deal.
Melanie Mauer
so often this genre can be filled with ideas that don't really inspire me but this book was truly helpful - and i appreciated that it was filled with recipes as well.

there were tiny tweaks that i was happy to learn and it spurred some brainstorming on implementation.
Leanne
This would be an excellent book for a newlywed to read. It has tons of advice for how to live frugally, yet well. She has great recipes for making mixes from scratch instead of relying on convenience foods. It was well-written and concise.
Bernice Deng
Very helpful, very honest lots of great ideas... even though alot of info does not apply to me as i have no children and live in China i still found useful tips and ideas to save money and create meaningful memories on a budget!
Denise Cochran
I really enjoyed this book. I have read a lot of 'frugal home' books but this one offered some 'new' ideas and approaches. I loved the book as much as her blog. Hope she keeps them coming.
Meagan Church
This book is full of great tips for simple, frugal living. Packed full of tips, recipes and cleaning solutions, it is full of useful information that I will definitely be putting to good use.
Tanya
Great book! I have been following Amy's website for a couple years now. So happy she wrote a book full of tips, ideas, and recipes. As a mom and wife this book will be a great resource.
Danielle Witek miller
Great debut book from a local blogger.... A definite must-have for any gal trying to run a fun and frugal household. :-)
Renee
Lots of great ideas and tips. Practical and inexpensive. I can't wait to try some of the recipes and other tips.
Hilary
Great money saving advice and some basic recipes for make your own mixes and other simple recipes.
Audrey Snyder
Especially loved the collection of fun and frugal recipes. I've tried 3 or 4 and they've been a hit!
Bridget
Great tips and recipes! She's really helped me to finally conquer meal planning!
Karen
Overall a good book to help live a frugal life. I enjoyed the recipes as well.
Karen
This book has good recipes that I want to try.
  • The Money Saving Mom's Budget: Slash Your Spending, Pay Down Your Debt, Streamline Your Life, and Save Thousands a Year
  • Amelia Bedelia Unleashed (Amelia Bedelia Chapter Books #2)
  • One Bite at a Time: 52 Projects for Making Life Simpler
  • The 8 Minute Organizer: Easy Solutions to Simplify Your Life in Your Spare Time
  • My Heart's at Home: Becoming the Intentional Mom Your Family Needs
  • Student's Vegetarian Cookbook, Revised: Quick, Easy, Cheap, and Tasty Vegetarian Recipes
  • Abundant Simplicity: Discovering the Unhurried Rhythms of Grace
  • Six Ways to Keep the "Little" in Your Girl
  • The Mother's Mite: Why Even Our Smallest Efforts Matter
  • How to De-clutter and Make Money Now
  • 1001 Great Ideas for Teaching and Raising Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders: A Lifesaver for Parents and Professionals Who Interact Children with Autism and Asperger's Syndrome
  • How to Blog for Profit without Selling Your Soul
  • 3500: An Autistic Boy's Ten-Year Romance with Snow White
  • Walking on Eggshells: Navigating the Delicate Relationship Between Adult Children and Parents
  • Escaping the Endless Adolescence: How We Can Help Our Teenagers Grow Up Before They Grow Old
  • Fix-It and Forget-It 5-ingredient favorites: Comforting Slow-Cooker Recipes
  • Desperate: Hope for the Mom Who Needs to Breathe
  • A Treasury of Miracles for Friends: True Stories of Gods Presence Today
Amy Allen Clark has been the driving force behind MomAdvice.com since 2004. In addition to running a successful community for women and running after her kids, she has served as spokesperson for Minute Maid, Walmart, Cascade, Glade, Cheer and is currently the home management "genius" for Kenmore.

Amy also has appeared in various media outlets such as The Early Show, Parents Magazine, Redbook, Marth
More about Amy Allen Clark...