Start by marking “Wonderstruck: Awaken to the Nearness of God” as Want to Read:
Wonderstruck: Awaken to the Nearness of God

Wonderstruck: Awaken to the Nearness of God

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  231 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Let’s be honest: it’s far too easy to go through day-to-day life without a sense of the mystery, the marvel, or the awe of God’s presence. Have you ever felt your relationship with God isn’t as vibrant as you want it to be? Have you ever felt like God seemed far away—even in the midst of devotions, prayer, and church?

You’re not alone.We Were Created for WonderYou were crea
Published December 25th 2012 by Worthy Publishing (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Wonderstruck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wonderstruck

amber
(4.5 stars)
God shows himself in myriad ways; beauty, serendipity, shock & awe, conversation… even in the contrast between His own holiness and our tendency toward sin. But are we awake? Do we notice? Should we?

Through plumbing the depths of experiences from her own life, Margaret Feinberg invites us to reflect on mis-shapenness in our own lives. Are we harboring bitterness, too? How is our prayer life, really?

In a day when many Christian writers care mainly for their ideas, Margaret obviousl
Kendra

I feel a certain affinity for Feinberg as an author because she is one of the few Christian authors out there who is successfully writing nonfiction--and I mean literary nonfiction--in America right now.* No doubt I am also emotionally attached because she spoke at my alma mater (several times, I think?), and at my parents' church in Colorado, and both times she broke the formula that so often turns me off of religious assemblies. Years ago, my parents sent me a copy of Scouting the Divine, a b
Christine Smith
I finished the Wonderstruck Bible study with the Womens Bible Cafe and completely enjoyed the study! I learned about Divine expectation, God's presence, rest, prayer, friendship and forgiveness. Each week was a new discovery. I especially liked the personal stories shared by Margaret, as I also read the book version (black cover) alongside my Bible study workbook (white cover). Thank you for the inspiring lessons and spiritual journey! I look forward to reading more of her books and Bible studie ...more
Holly
I love the word Wonderstruck, and I love the idea of living wonderstruck to the workings of God. In fact I made it my word for the year. This book was nice and it had some nice ideas and suggestions to it. In fact, that is the word that describes how it was for me... Nice. I always appreciate someone who is willing to open their life to me, especially in writing. But nothing rang the bell of awakening in me or left me wonderstruck.
Jenn Thibodeau
Love Margaret's heart for God. Identified with the notion that we, as Christians, are often slumbering in the presence of the Divine. In other words, lazy. It was an easy read and fun to learn more about Margaret, after she had recently spoken at our church's women's conference. Loved the story about her grandfather - a Bible-believing man who led people to Christ over gaming tables in Vegas!
Adrianne
Margaret Feinberg is a phenomenal writer and I've loved each of her books that I've read. Her writings draw me closer to knowing God in a more intimate way. "Wonderstruck" does just that! My senses are heightened to recognizing God's glory and soaking in moments that in the past I would have pushed aside. I highly recommend!
Jill
This book spoke to me on many levels. The chapter on prayer was especially meaningful and I am going to try her "three word prayers" this Lenten season. I am hoping to get some members of my Bible study to join me in this form of "giving up prayer" for Lent.
Joy
It was ok. A really good premise, but I wish it had been more practical. The title is really inviting, but I found myself getting lost in the author's stories.
Dave Courtney
I was quite excited to find a discounted copy of Wonderstruck by Margaret Feinberg. I had heard an interview with her and had wanted to pick this one up for a while. Unfortunately the book did not live up to my anticipation. It's a nice, breezy read, but it failed to really grab me as the reader. The chapters are built around this concept of being Wonderstruck by God's power, grace, forgiveness, and presence, and follow different parts of her own story. For as much as I appreciate getting to kno ...more
Erin
For me, Margaret has a way of putting my own personal struggles to words and creating new and beautiful imagery for well told stories of the bible. She reveals what God has taught her through her own struggles in a personal and open way, while connecting it to truths found throughout the bible. I personally always find encouragement in what she has to say, and often find myself laughing or frowning along with her.

I know some mentioned this was a light and easy read, but I encourage you to go de
Henk-Jan van der Klis
If you doubt whether God hears your prayers, let alone answer them, you’re not alone. Where God wants a relationship, it’s become a monologue from either side. Many Christians suffer from this disengagement, feel uncertain, depressed, haunted or alone. In Wonderstruck, author and speaker Margaret
Feinberg leads you through her own spiritual revival. From struck by the Northern lights on evenings outside her home in Alaska, the heritage of her grandfather to a treasure hunt in South Africa with he
Ian
"God extends endless invitations to encounter Him, yet too often we sleep straight through."

Well that sure grabbed my attention. God's wonder surrounds us all day everyday. Wonderstruck is a manual for helping us find that wonder. And in Margaret, we have a mighty fine guide who's passionate about enabling and teaching us in how to experience God more.

With sound Biblical instruction, some delightful stories that take across the globe via the Scottish highlands, Alaska, and the Colorado mountains
Patti Greene
I loved working through this Bible Study. It was simple and profound all at the same time. Margaret's honestly led me to really work through some areas in my life that needed to be dealt with. This workbook would be great for any group who is seeking the Lord - it doesn't matter if you are a believer, have been a believer only a short time, or if you are a seasoned believer. And, the lessons each day are short enough that there isn't pressure to have to give hours a day to homework.
IrenesBookReviews
Have you forgotten how marvelous the Lord is? Do you need a reminder of all the Lord has done? This book will be a great reminder as the author does an excellent job of showing just how wonderful the Lord is. Wonderstruck is exactly how you will feel after really reading and studying this book!

I gave this book 5/5 stars! I found the book to be encouraging and very well written. The language used was easy to understand and the information flowed from one nugget to the next with no interruption. I
Jodi
Aug 12, 2013 Jodi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Jodi by: Jamie Beals
I didn't really get into this book in the first few chapters but by the end, I was "hooked." I love how all the "coincidences" in Scotland confirmed her faith. While reading this book, two sermons in church coincided with what I read in the book later in the week! The first one was about how if God takes care of the birds, that surely he'll take care of me! The next one was the story of Martha and Mary in church, then in my son's devotional, then my devotional, and then touched on in this book t ...more
Misti
Thank you Lorri for a most delightful read! I am going to journal the 30 days of wonder challenge. Excited to be awakened to the nearness of God and come away wonder struck!
Joy Matteson
I would say that I liked about half of this book. The first half is wonderful, especially as I really needed the reminder to be awestruck of God and His creation is to be like a child, with child-like faith and wonder. Yet it seems like just as she was getting started, she got bogged down telling other people's stories that did not have much to do with being 'wonderstruck'--they just seemed to fill the pages. In any case, being filled with wonder was something I needed to hear when I read this, ...more
Roxanne
I was so excited to be able to read Margaret's book in advance of it's release. What an encouraging book. Margaret shares personal experience in her usual transparent and creative writing style. She reminds us to look for the wonder around us each an every day and gives us some specific "areas" in which to find that wonder. In addition to her personal experience, and in typical "Margaret style," she also takes us to the Scriptures to see the wonder of the mystery opened to us in the sacred page. ...more
Ann
I had high expectations for this book. The title, Wonderstruck, Awaken to the Nearness of God, really excited me, but chapter after chapter left me still searching to be wonderstruck and disappointed that this was simply a nice light read. It is the story of Feinberg's journey through wonderstruck moments and events in her own walk with the Lord, and while I did enjoy her stories, and there were a few moments of profundity, overall it appeared to be an effort to build on Ann Voskamp's One Thousa ...more
Mark
Lovely, thoughtful book - filled with well-told stories that link up beautifully with insightful Biblical exegesis. And, by using the word "exegesis", I've probably turned some of you off to reading this, for which I beg forgiveness.

I'm still mulling over the truth that Margaret Feinberg presents so clearly here - that God is closer than we realize and glimpses of His presence & power are awaiting us in so many moments.

I plan on reading this again...
Barbi
I started this book several months ago after a friend from Bible study highly recommended it to me. It took me a while to get into it. I found that every time that I read it, I found some little tidbit or story that really touched me. It was this way throughout the entire book. The author totally has a different way to view life and the little things that happen that we may just ignore or not give our full attention. I highly recommend it!
Matthew Miller
With a definite eye for the beauty of the everyday and a easy, evocative writing style Margaret Feinberg weaves together a call to live every day with wonder. She has such a personable style of writing it feels like she invited you into her home and her life to see the things she has been learning and discovering. She presents a clear call for each of us to be Wonderstruck by the everyday and by the extraordinary.
Amy Young
The chapter that I'll remember is being Wonderstruck (love that word) with restoration. The story of Blind Bartimaeus who didn't choose his blindness but had a choice as to whether or not he was going to accept and enter a new identity. From the Hebrew "son of filth" to the Greek "son of redemption." I also agree with Margaret's premise that God is at work all around us and we need to tune in more than we do.
Lori
May 18, 2013 Lori added it
I would highly recommend this book. Reading it is like throwing on a lightswitch to the world around us in a new way. Our eyes are opened along with Margaret Feinberg as she rewakens to the wonder of creation in the world around us. She takes us on a tour and then invites us to experience the God of wonders in our own daily life. I enjoyed every Chapter and highlighted passages all the way through.
Naum
For a couple of weeks, an promotional blitz inundated my Google Reader feeds and Twitter lists with plugs for this. I hesitated and resisted, but then, with a Amazon gift certificate in tow, decided to take a flyer and read it, expecting fluff, but hopeful that it would be worth the purchase price.

No, not really, It's OK. Just a lot of bubbly anecdotal reflections woven into the author's Jesus walk.
Desiree
I thought this book was wonderful. Told as a journey taken it caused me to stop and take time to see life around me...to be wonderstruck by God's creation, by the little moments in life and to enjoy it all. If you've ever heard Margaret Feinberg speak you'll see all her inflections in how she tells the story of this journey. Great book for women.
D.M. Kilgore
We did this in women's Bible study, and I enjoyed it. It was much different from the Beth Moore's we had been doing, and it is one that really makes you take time out of your busy day and find the wonder in the world around you. Required a lot of deep introspection.
Carol
Wonderstruck is clear writing that gives us a manual on how to slow down and feel God's present in all seasons of our lives. Restoration is beautifully described in Chapter .006. Her stories of personal journey bring to life God's word and help us translate this to our own lives. It is a page turner, easy to read and re-read.
Julie
This book deserves more stars than 5. Margaret Feinberg's writing made me feel as if I was on her journey with her. Her use of scripture and personal stories made me see Sabbath, forgiveness, etc in a different light. I have recommended this to everybody I talk to.
Peter
A good but not awesome read hence 3/5 for me. Some chapters that stand out:

Alpenglow ... the wonder of creation
Treasure hunting .... just being with someone, asking Who not Why
Miracles on runway ... thankfullness
  • Undaunted: Daring to Do What God Calls You to Do
  • Permission to Speak Freely: Essays and Art on Fear, Confession, and Grace
  • The Girl's Still Got It: Take a Walk with Ruth and the God Who Rocked Her World
  • Pursue the Intentional Life
  • Spiritual Disciplines Handbook: Practices That Transform Us
  • Pilgrimage of a Soul: Contemplative Spirituality for the Active Life
  • A Million Little Ways: Uncover the Art You Were Made to Live
  • Satisfy My Thirsty Soul: For I Am Desperate for Your Presence
  • Idol Lies: Facing the Truth About Our Deepest Desires
  • Freefall to Fly
  • Interrupted: An Adventure in Relearning the Essentials of Faith
  • You're Already Amazing: Embracing Who You Are, Becoming All God Created You to Be
  • The Fitting Room: Putting on the Character of Christ
  • Becoming a Woman of Freedom
  • The Greatest Gift: Unwrapping the Full Love Story of Christmas
  • 66 Love Letters: A Conversation with God That Invites You Into His Story
  • Mended: Pieces of a Life Made Whole
  • Common Prayer: A Liturgy for Ordinary Radicals
A self-described "hot mess," Margaret Feinberg is a popular Bible teacher and speaker at churches and leading conferences such as Catalyst, Thrive, and Women of Joy. Her books, including The Organic God, The Sacred Echo, Scouting the Divine, and Wonderstruck and their corresponding Bible studies, have sold nearly one million copies and received critical acclaim and extensive national media coverag ...more
More about Margaret Feinberg...
Scouting the Divine: My Search for God in Wine, Wool, and Wild Honey The Organic God The Sacred Echo: Hearing God's Voice in Every Area of Your Life Twentysomething: Surviving and Thriving in the Real World Wonderstruck

“Wide awake to the presence of God, I realized I had been so focused on asking why a good God allowed bad things to happen that I was missing out on the nearness of God all along. In becoming preoccupied with the why, I was missing the who.” 3 likes