Start by marking “Summer at Mustang Ridge” as Want to Read:
Summer at Mustang Ridge

Summer at Mustang Ridge (Mustang Ridge #1)

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  231 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
A single visit to Mustang Ridge can change your life forever ...

Recovering from a difficult divorce and having problems with her daughter, Lizzie, Shelby accepts a summer job cooking at a family-run dude ranch. She hopes the animals will be just what her daughter needs. Little does she know that ranch life will work its healing magic on her, too.

When Shelby meets the head
Published June 4th 2013 by Signet (first published May 7th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Summer at Mustang Ridge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer at Mustang Ridge

Penny Watson
May 31, 2013 Penny Watson rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
What I was expecting... a sweet love story set at a ranch. What I wasn't expecting...an intensely powerful portrayal of a mother's love and devotion for her daughter. Shelby's daughter is suffering from selective mutism, and the mom decides that a summer out west is just the thing to bring her daugher out of her silent shell. The scenes where Lizzie is interacting with the horses, and working up her courage to participate on the ranch, were so moving and emotional. I cried three times reading th ...more
Kate
Jun 02, 2013 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sweet-as-pie
There are a lot of books about city girls coming to the ranch and falling for a cowboy, so this has some familiar echoes but this feels a little slower paced and more thoughtful than most of those books.

Let me make one thing clear, k? Slower paced is not an insult. It works. This is a saddle ride through the country, not a car chase. We admire the view as we go through the book; we don't rush from trauma to drama. The writing and view is pretty enough that we don't get bored. The little touches
Bobbie Jo
Jul 09, 2013 Bobbie Jo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yee Haw ... let's ride cowboy!

I really wasn't sure about this book because its outside the genres I typically like reading, but figured hey since Jesse Hayworth (aka Jessica Andersen, whom I love) wrote it I would give it a try. And I am SO GLAD I did. This book was fantastic.

Yes its a romance, but its more than that - This book had so many elements of what I like to call "real life". It's not just about a girl who goes to a dude ranch and falls in love - this girl has problems - real life probl
Gail Chianese
Jun 14, 2013 Gail Chianese rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I seldom write reviews, but when I do, it’s because the book has earned that extra time from me and SUMMER AT MUSTANG RIDGE is worth it. This is a beautiful love story not just between Shelby and Foster, but between mother and daughter. I laughed, I sympathized, I cried – yes, even though I knew a HEA was coming, Jesse Hayworth managed to pull me so deep into the story that I cried when it seemed all was over for Shelby and Forest. Yet it was so much more. I smiled over the friendship and sister ...more
Mya
Feb 07, 2015 Mya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was great! Exactly what I was looking for. I haven't read many western/cowboy books, I got some laughs, some tears, and felt well invested in the characters. This was the first book I have read by this author and I will definitely look for more. It was well written, I felt like I was on that ranch. Though there was one slip up.. one moment the hero has hair on his chest the next he's hairless... perhaps he waxed before the date?? haha.. either way it was still a fun quick read! I would reco ...more
Leona
Jul 26, 2013 Leona rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:

Summer at Mustang Ridge
by Jesse Hayworth (Goodreads Author)

From goodreads.com:

"A single visit to Mustang Ridge can change a person’s life in the most unexpected ways....

Recovering from a difficult divorce and having problems with her daughter, Shelby accepts a summer job cooking at a family-run dude ranch. She hopes the animals will be just what her daughter, Lizzie, needs. Little does she know that ranch life will work some healing magic on her too.

When Shelby meets the head wrangler, Foster,
Dorine
May 18, 2013 Dorine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Also posted at my site, the TBR Mountain Range - come for a visit and a chat :)

A sweet western contemporary romance filled with animals and people to love, as well as a new series continuation to anticipate.

Shelby takes a leave of absence from her real job in advertising in Boston to spend her summer at a dude ranch in Wyoming as a sous chef. Shelby and her daughter need a change, after the traditional therapies for Lizzie's Selective Mutism haven't succeeded. Maybe a change of scenery will be g
Mary Steiner
This is a free book from Goodreads First Reads. I really enjoyed this book. I read it in two days. The characters were believable. I've never heard of this disorder and that was informative. I look forward to reading the next book in this series and hope these characters make an appearance so we can keep up with them.
Bette Hansen
Jul 21, 2013 Bette Hansen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I so loved this book!! Great storyline, wonderful characters and sweet romance. Foster is a tough looking cowboy but a sweetheart underneath and Shelby is a tough mama bear trying to help her child. Falling in love was never the plan but....
Highly highly recommended.
Dee
Aug 11, 2013 Dee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
cute western/ranch romance - I needed it
Clare O'Beara
Mar 15, 2015 Clare O'Beara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: america-romance
Singles week at a Wyoming dude ranch sounds like fun for the happy-go-lucky visitors, but for Shelby and her daughter Lizzie from Boston, Mustang Ridge ranch is a place to work for the summer. Temporary cook is something Shelby can cope with, but pushy dudes, a horse-hungry little girl and quietly competent wranglers add up to a complicated few months.

The ranch staff concur that if the dudes see the family-friendly version of cattle ranching, that's what it takes to bring in cash. Young Lizzie h
Pam
Jun 26, 2013 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mustang Ridge Ranch is a dude ranch in Wyoming which Shelby is hoping is the perfect place for both daughter Lizzie and her this summer. Shelby is the new assistant cook that will help Gran in the kitchen, as the current assistant is on bed rest. Lizzie's therapist, Gertie helped get Shelby the job in hopes that Lizzie's fascination with horses will get her to talk again.

Lizzie has selective mutism and has not spoken in two years, most children outgrow it eventually however it has taken Lizzie m
Barb Lie
Jun 06, 2013 Barb Lie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Summer at Mustang Ridge by Jesse Hayworth is the first book in her Mustang Ridge series. There actually is a novella released last month that opened this series. The Mustang Ridge series is Contemporary Romance, and I totally fell in love with the characters at Mustang Ridge.

Summer at Mustang Ridge heroes are Shelby and Foster. We meet Shelby immediately as she is driving with her daughter heading for Mustang Ridge Ranch for the summer. She is going to work as a chef; but mostly Shelby is using
Lorelei's
Oct 06, 2014 Lorelei's rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved Summer at Mustang Ridge! You'll really enjoy it if you're a romantic and like realistic drama.
Shelby wants to help her daughter (Lizzie) recover from an emotional condition,(Selective Mutism) and with the help of her therapist, she finds a summer job as assistant chef at a family ranch, along with therapy with horses for her girl.
Not only does Lizzie find the help she needs, but so does Shelby who's having a hard time dealing with it all since her divorce, but also Foster, the swoon-wort
Gayle
Jan 15, 2016 Gayle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
REVIEW

Shelby: Heroine and new assistant cook at Mustang Ridge.
Foster: Trail boss at Mustang Ridge.
Lizzie: Shelby's 9-year-old daughter.
Vader: Foster's dog.
Krista Skye: One of the owners of Mustang Ridge.
Barbara Skye: Krista's grandmother. Head cook at Mustang Ridge.
Rose Skye: Krista's mother.

Shelby decided to take some time off from her high stress job in advertising. She works in Boston, MA., and is taking the summer to be a cook at the Mustang Dude Ranch in Wyoming. She's looking for so
Patti
Oct 29, 2015 Patti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
I wasn't sure how I would like this story because I usually read historical romance. I loved the chemistry between Shelby and Foster, their relationship wasn't rushed. All of the characters were likable, my favorite was Herman! J/K... I totally fell for Foster!
CJ -Doctor can you help me, 'cause something just don't feel right
I couldn't finish this book, the writing was really getting to me and the lack of any development on Shelby and Foster's parts knocked me right out of the story. Too many things were glossed over and in the hurry to get the two of them together Lizzie disappears for awhile.

I really wanted to like this file several reasons but all of them failed me.

I got up to about 75%
Susan
I read this series out of order (2,3, 1). So that might be why I felt like this dragged out a bit. The characters were well written even if Shelby annoyed me at times but she stayed in character the whole time and I can appreciate that.

However, I didn't really like Rose in book two and in book three she was okay but I definitely did not like her in this book. She seemed rude and I am greater than thou in here. What made me really dislike her in this story was her "deaf" comment to Shelby about
Sheri Jesse
Feb 27, 2016 Sheri Jesse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome read! This is my first book by this author but it will not be my last. I loved Foster, Shelby, and Lizzie and the interaction between all three. It's a plus that horses were involved...
Lizz
Feb 17, 2014 Lizz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 I read the second book in this series before I read this one, and I liked that one a bit better. This one was still good, you gotta love the strong silent type!
Marian
Aug 24, 2014 Marian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't wait for the next book in this series. I love this author's works.
Regan
Dec 22, 2013 Regan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow....this has to be one of the best books I've read all year. I couldn't put it down but didn't want to finish because it was so good. I've got Winter at Mustang Ridge all ready to start this week. If you love a good contemporary western it's the perfect read. And even if you don't, the dynamics between the characters, how they find their way, solve their problems, come together is fabulously told. It could take place anywhere, anytime and would still be a wonderful story. If you haven't read ...more
C.
This story started out sweet, but then a little before halfway, it deteriorated into nothing but one make-out session between Shelby and Foster, after another, and another, and another, ad nauseam!

I started skimming then, and came across their sex scene, and the book got even worse then! When they weren't making-out, they were thinking about it! The daughter Lizzie's problem was forgotten, and there was no longer a story or anything interesting enough to hold me.

Glad I borrowed it from the libr
Gypsylcm
Sep 03, 2014 Gypsylcm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
will be looking for more books by this author!
Susan
Apr 30, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western, cont
1st JH: Mom Shelby brngs kid 2 dude rnch 2try horse therpy 4SM (selctv mutism) whil hlpg as smmr cook. Hd wrnglr Foster ovrcms old frs/exp 2 mk cmmtmnt 2thm > affr/lv
Michele
So grateful I won this book on Goodreads! It is a wonderful story, a romance at the Mustang Ridge Dude Ranch. I thoroughly enjoyed the various relationships throughout the novel; whether that was Shelby and her daughter; Shelby and Foster; Shelby and Gran in the kitchen; Lizzie, Foster and the horses. Oh and not to forget Herman!!! Great story, could hardly put the book down and did not want it to end! Now I can hardly wait for the next "Winter at Mustang Ridge".
Lindsey
Aug 07, 2013 Lindsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun little book to read. While it was definitely a love story, it was also a wonderful story about a little girls journey to healing. Some of my favorite parts of the story revolved around Lizzie. I thought Shelby was a great character and loved her views on the world. She was enjoying taking things slow and just enjoying the time with her daughter and the other people at the ranch. Overall it was a very nice, quick read.
Laurie
Apr 18, 2014 Laurie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable
Joy Whiteside
Jun 05, 2013 Joy Whiteside rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
This was a great story. I started reading it before going to bed and before I knew it I was done and it was after midnight.

Jesse Hayworth has created a world that you fall in love with as well as characters that grab you. You feel as though you are part of their world and you don't want to leave. You want them to succeed no matter what.

I would have no problem recommending this book to family and friends.
Stacy Porter
Jul 27, 2013 Stacy Porter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I absolutely love the series! The characters come to life as soon as you start reading with their love of junk food and Star Trek! I fell in love with Foster along with Shelby and cried when Lizzie found the strength to use her voice. This is such an amazing book and I can't wait for the next one! Jesse Hayworth is one of my favorite authors. Her voice is so friendly, warm, witty, and charismatic.
  • Sanctuary Island (Sanctuary Island, #1)
  • Jesse  (The Secret Life of Cowboys, #3)
  • Larkspur Road (Lonesome Way #2)
  • Once Tempted (Silver Creek, #1)
  • Protecting Kate
  • Some Like It Hot (Cat DeLuca Mysteries, #3)
  • A Liaden Universe Constellation: Volume I
  • The Sweet Spot (Sweet on a Cowboy, #1)
  • The Trouble with Christmas (Christmas, Colorado, #1)
  • Montana Glory
  • Rustler's Heart (The Kinnison Legacy, #2)
  • Lady in Black
  • A Perfect Distraction (New Jersey Ice Cats, #1)
  • Cowboy Take Me Away (Rainbow Valley, #1)
  • In Want of a Wife (Bitter Springs #3)
  • Billion Dollar Cowboy (Cowboys & Brides, #1)
  • A Town Called Valentine (Valentine Valley #1)
  • The Cat Sitter's Cradle (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #8)

Mustang Ridge (6 books)
  • Sunset at Keyhole Canyon (Mustang Ridge, #0.5)
  • Winter at Mustang Ridge (Mustang Ridge, #2)
  • Harvest at Mustang Ridge (Mustang Ridge, #3)
  • Firelight at Mustang Ridge (Mustang Ridge, #4)
  • Coming Home to Mustang Ridge (Mustang Ridge, #5)