Start by marking “The Mislaid Magician: or Ten Years After (Cecelia and Kate, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Mislaid Magician: or Ten Years After (Cecelia and Kate, #3)

The Mislaid Magician: or Ten Years After (Cecelia and Kate #3)

3.69  ·  Rating Details ·  3,584 Ratings  ·  361 Reviews
Now married with children, Cecelia and Kate must face a threat to the wizarding worldIt’s been a decade since Kate and Cecelia foiled Napoleon’s plot to reclaim the French crown. The cousins now have estates, children, and a place at the height of wizarding society. It is 1828, and though magic remains at the heart of the British Empire, a new power has begun to make itsel ...more
Published May 22nd 2012 by Open Road Media Teen & Tween (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Mislaid Magician, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mislaid Magician

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
This third book in the Regency fantasy series Cecelia and Kate is cute but forgettable. The series falls off in quality as it goes along.
Kelly
This should really be retitled Being the Private Correspondence of Two Families... Which Explains Why It Would Only Be Of Interest to These Two Families. Come on, book, everyone knows the Tolstoy rule of happy families: "All happy families are alike." Which is why one could not be interested in the slightest in reading hundreds and hundreds of pages about them- especially when the excuse of a plot couldn't be more lame, or less suspenseful. Oh, please, do not get me started on the characters- or ...more
Lightreads
I read the two sequels to Sorcery and Cecelia in one go. More tales of upper-class nineteenth-century magical England, told by letter and written recollection.

Eh. A lot of the giddy charm of the first book was apparently novelty, because it had really worn off by the end here. And without it you have some generic sort of intrigue, some jokes that aren't actually funny, and historically creepy gender politics. Not bad books, you know? Just nothing more than vaguely neutral, if you know what I mea
Elizabeth
Nov 08, 2007 Elizabeth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of historical fantasy
The third in the series started by Sorcery and Cecelia or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot (a book that was out of print for many years and only enjoys its current revival thanks to the popularity bestowed to youth fantasy by a certain British author and her bespectacled wizardy brat), this book joins the apparently growing genre of period fantasy written in the style of Jane Austen (the only other example of which I know is Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange Mr Norrell).

If you really enjoy this genre
Hallie
Mixed feelings for me with this one!

At various times I thought; this is funny!; this is a bit dull; this doesn't have the fizz of the first; whoa - ley lines - cool!; this [spoiler] rocks; I'm not quite involved enough to follow all the twists and turns; early days of the railway - fun; What?! It was preventing Cromwell from -- what are you *saying*?!; LEY LINES - very cool!; oh great, now we have a stereotypically bolshie, up-himself Irishman; the [spoiler] is even better now; enough with the
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
As the title says, this volume picks up 10 years after 'The Grand Tour', and Kate and Cecelia are both settled into their families with Thomas and James and their various broods.

Once again the story is told via letters back and forth, and this has some of the same issues as before - it took me a bit to settle back into which character was which, and had to remind myself at the start of ever perspective change who was who.

(Part of this is just my brain acting in odd ways. As they are written in
Rachel
Jul 06, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I genuinely enjoyed this book. I've really liked the series from the time I started it, so I was very excited to continue on with it.

This book follows Kate and Cecelia ten years after the Grand Tour, and now they have children. Both families have stayed connected to one another and are very close. When James is sent to examine railroads and disturbances in Northern England, he and Cecelia leave their children with Kate and Thomas. Although very different stories at first, the views of both coup
Margaret
Ten years after the events of The Grand Tour, Kate and Thomas and Cecy and James are settled down on their respective estates with their families, when James is asked to investigate the mysterious disappearance of a German railroad engineer who was traveling in England. The investigation quickly opens a whole can of worms and draws in Kate and Thomas also, as well as other family members (I was particularly pleased to meet Aunt Elizabeth again).

The epistolary story moves along nicely and is cle
Leanna
Jan 11, 2008 Leanna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I only somewhat liked Sorcery and Cecilia, and I did not like The Grand Tour. So why did I put myself through reading the third installment of Patricia Wrede and Caroline Stevemer’s trilogy? Clearly, I am insane.

Like Sorcery, The Mislaid Magician or Ten Years After is written in epistolary form. Cousins Cecilia and Kate correspond with each other (along with occasional, inane missives from their husbands).

I was initially intrigued by Wrede and Stevemer’s writing experiment. The authors exchange
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
After its prequels, Sorcery and Cecelia and The Grand Tour, this book is just ... sort of average. Not a bad book, but not as exciting as the other two.

13 June 2010: after reading Magic Below Stairs, I thought it would be interesting to give this another look.
Ketrisse
Jul 06, 2011 Ketrisse rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ordinarily a big fan of both the authors, this was a poor showing for both of their talents. There was too much inundation of technical information that in the end seemed pretty irrelevant and unimportant. The pacing of the story was stilted and extremely slow. The connection to the characters was not strong. I kept waiting for Something, anything exciting to happen. It didn't. All in all I was disappointed that nothing (other then the addition of children) had really changed about the character ...more
Erin
Don't get me wrong--even though I didn't rate this book as highly, I did enjoy reading it. Kate and Cecy feel like old friends, and spending a little time with them is always fun.

It's just that I think long-termed wedded bliss is hard to write in an interesting way (not impossible, just hard) and for me it felt like a little bit of the spark was missing. Kate and Cecy as young moms just didn't feel quite as engaging--although the kids were cute!

I did like the plot, which was nice and twisty and
Angela
May 11, 2009 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Hooray! This third book in the "Cecilia & Kate" series makes a return not only to the epistolary style of the first, but also to the upbeat pace and fun character developments that were missing in the second. It still falls a step behind "Sorcery & Cecelia" in relative plot believability and clarity, but it had some of the same strengths and even a few novelties to recommend it: This time, in addition to letters between Kate & Cecelia, we are privy to letters between Thomas & Jam ...more
Deena
I wanted this to be better than it was... I adore the first one, I liked the second one almost as much, and this wasn't bad - but it could have been better.

To their credit, their use of "Drina" was accurate, which pleased me very much. I'd love to see them do additional titles that occur between the second and third volumes in the series.
Allison
Done! After plenty of skimming through accounts of children's encounters with snakes and frogs, tossed in with some mild magical mystery not nearly captivating enough (although occasionally slightly amusing), I'm just happy to mark this as finished and select the next book to read. Out of the trilogy, the first book was really the only one I would recommend to others.
Sue
Jul 12, 2015 Sue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I enjoyed the view of raising upper crust children in magical Victorian England, the novelty has worn off and the plot got a little too tedious in this entry of the trilogy.

I still admire the author's view and character set up, but it was a lackluster ending to what is obviously a lot of work.
Nora Adamek
Sep 10, 2015 Nora Adamek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, same issue I had with the other letters. I was enjoying the volley and all of a sudden the end came. Liked the letters from Thomas and James, gave more insight to how useless these men would be without their wives!
Krista D.
Dec 13, 2016 Krista D. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am so disappointed that i didn’t enjoy this one. I didn't like the inclusion of the men's letters, nor the subplot of children's antics. The main plot was convulted, though that might have been because i wasn't really enjoying things by the time main plot points unraveled.

Tria
Aside from the previously-mentioned editing & proofing issues, this is an excellent book and a thoroughly enjoyable story, as with both other instalments of the trilogy in question. 4 stars. (For site editing later, this one I own in hardback as well as ebook, obtained via BookMooch.)
Karen
Nov 10, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-very-good
I still love the letter-correspondence-as-novel genre, and this one doesn't disappoint. I love the voices of the main characters, I love the slightly zany situations. Nothing extraordinary, just a really enjoyable book.
CatBookMom
Quite short, but still interesting. Not as good as the first book or even the second.
Lisa Volker
Sep 30, 2016 Lisa Volker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third and final volume of the trilogy that also comprises "Sorcery and Cecelia" and "The Grand Tour." Written by Patricia C. Wrede and Caroline Stevermer in the form of letters from the main characters, these books are delightful fantasies set in an alternate-reality Regency England where wizards and magic are commonplace. Think Jane Austen or Georgette Heyer mixed with mystery and magic. "The Mislaid Magician" finds Cecy and her husband James, at Lord Wellington's behest, investigat ...more
Cassie
From railroads and ley lines, to a mute girl and a peculiarly enchanted dog, and topped off with spell-casting children and unexpected visitors, cousins Cecy and Kate, along with their husbands, James and Thomas, certainly have their hands full. Letters chronicle their investigations as Cecy and James investigate a missing magician, while Kate and Thomas stay at their home to watch over both families’ broods of children.

Continuing the adventures of Cecy and Kate (whose adventures can be found in
An Odd1
Jun 26, 2013 An Odd1 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Feb-June 1828 letters between (indistinguishable) aristocratic cousins Cecy and Kate, their respective lordly husbands James and Thomas, to all their children (a mob except for older Edward) at Skeynes. Although a country-wide centuries-old conspiracy, treason, and earthquake sound big and important, the plot boils down to little action or conflict. A pleasant interlude in one old-fashioned voice.

From from Tanglewood Hall in Kent, Cecy and James follow the trail of German wizard engineer Herr M
Kristi
Aug 06, 2014 Kristi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1.5 stars. This third installment in the Sorcery & Cecelia: or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot series follows Cecelia and Kate 10 years after The Grand Tour. There's a mystery involving railroads and ancient magic, and James and Cecelia have gone to investigate. Unsurprisingly, Thomas and Kate find themselves embroiled in the same web of intrigue. And there are also (somewhat blandly) mischievous children.

This book just didn't work for me. I found it profoundly boring and wanted to quit reading
Karen Keyte
Ten years after their grand wedding tour (and the concurrent unraveling of an imperial magical contretemps), Thomas and Kate (the Marquess and Marchioness of Schofield) are living quietly on their country estate outside of London, still very happily married and now the parents of two sons. Cecy and James, who shared in the Continental adventure, are similarly shrouded in connubial bliss. The Tarletons have set up their home at Tangleford Hall in Kent. Blessed with four children of their own, Cec ...more
Malin

The Mislaid Magician: or Ten Years After is the third book in a young adult series about cousins Cecilia and Kate, who live in an alternate Regency England where some people have magical powers. Over the course of the first two books, they meet their husbands, go on a Grand Tour of Europe, and solve various mysteries that are magical in nature. If you want to be entirely unspoiled with regards to whom the young ladies end up with, you might want to avoid this review. The book works fine
Elizabeth
I am incredibly torn in my thoughts about The Mislaid Magician. On the one hand, I loved Sorcery and Cecelia so much that I cannot help but like this one, the last in the trilogy. On the other hand, I felt that Sorcery and Cecelia had something that was missing in the next two books, which was a subtle sort of cheekiness and fun. The fun was missing for me, especially in this book, as the plots got more complicated. Sure, there are fun moments, but it’s not underriding the whole novel as with S ...more
Andree
Dec 21, 2012 Andree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
This was highly enjoyable. Much better than the second.

The letters really work well as a narrative device. Better than the 'diary' entries of book two, I think because it allows the two cousins to tell the story to each other, and by extension the reader. This book also seemed more balanced. If anything, it skewed the other way, with more focus on Cecily and James than Kate and Thomas. I also really liked the addition of the letters between the men as well.

I adore Cecily and James. They're both
Meghan C.
Aug 18, 2014 Meghan C. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Sorcery and Cecelia
Shelves: reviews
For a third book in a series, this proved to be a fun, lighthearted romp much more in keeping with the spirit of the original Sorcery and Cecelia than the second installment. We get an interesting role reversal to see Kate as the stay-at-home correspondent and Cecy as the gadabout, although seeing them in different contexts has done nothing to sway my opinion of which lady is my favorite--a decision I made about twenty years ago (#teamkateforlife).

Like the first book, Wrede and Stevemer have a n
  • A Scholar of Magics (A College of Magics, #2)
  • The House on Durrow Street (Mrs. Quent, #2)
  • Conrad's Fate (Chrestomanci, #5)
  • A Stranger to Command
  • The Whim of the Dragon (The Secret Country, #3)
  • The Quest of the Fair Unknown (The Squire's Tales, #8)
  • Mothstorm (Larklight, #3)
  • Of Noble Family (Glamourist Histories, #5)
  • General Winston's Daughter
  • To Visit the Queen (Cats of Grand Central, #2)
  • Od Magic
Patricia Collins Wrede was born in Chicago, Illinois and is the eldest of five children. She started writing in seventh grade. She attended Carleton College in Minnesota, where she majored in Biology and managed to avoid taking any English courses at all. She began work on her first novel, Shadow Magic, just after graduating from college in 1974. She finished it five years later and started her se ...more
More about Patricia C. Wrede...

Cecelia and Kate (4 books)
  • Sorcery & Cecelia: or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot (Cecelia and Kate, #1)
  • The Grand Tour (Cecilia and Kate, #2)
  • Magic Below Stairs

“News of Daniel's disappearance does not alarm me as it might have done a week ago. Given recent events, very little alarms me as it might have done a week ago. I feel as if my supply of alarm has been exhausted, at least temporarily.” 19 likes
“She who laughs last may not invariably laugh best, but she does laugh.” 8 likes