Start by marking “Dear New Girl or Whatever Your Name Is” as Want to Read:
Dear New Girl or Whatever Your Name Is

Dear New Girl or Whatever Your Name Is

Begin with three years' worth of confiscated notes, secret scribblings stolen from the students of the Los Angeles Unified School District. Add Jason Holley, the Clayton Brothers, Jonathan Rosen, and a host of other visionary doodlers. Gather around a large kitchen table and see what happens. The result: sloppy, beautiful, enigmatic, and totally awesome.
Published August 19th 2005 by McSweeney's

To ask other readers questions about Dear New Girl or Whatever Your Name Is, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dear New Girl or Whatever Your Name Is

The Day After The Day After by Steven ChurchThe Bastard from the Bush by John JarrattMy Life at the M.B.R.C. by K.M. SheaThirst by Claire FarrellThe Trigger by Tim Butcher
Books read in January 2016
7th out of 29 books — 3 voters
The Girl on the Train by Paula HawkinsThe Nightingale by Kristin HannahMe Before You by Jojo MoyesThe Fault in Our Stars by John GreenThe Book Thief by Markus Zusak
2016: What the Over-35s Are Reading
330th out of 2,071 books — 152 voters

More lists with this book...

Charles Dee Mitchell
Sep 25, 2012 Charles Dee Mitchell rated it really liked it
Shelves: art, breakfast-book
Editor Trinnie Dalton worked as a substitute teacher in Los Angeles from 1999 - 2003. One of her duties, as it is of all teachers, was to confiscate the notes passed among her charges. She saved these, maybe those she considered the best, maybe all of them. Eventually she turned them over not to the principal's office but to artist friends and let them have a go at transforming them into this book of drawings.

How, you might wonder, do you improve on perfection? When it comes to the contents of
Amory Blaine
This makes me really glad I was homeschooled.
Debbie
Jan 14, 2010 Debbie rated it did not like it
Okay, just read the description of this and it makes more sense. I'm not going to change the rating though because I really feel that a book shouldn't need an explanation. You should just be able to pick it up and dive right into the story. I kept waiting for this to tell me a story, any story, but it didn't. I stayed at a shallow level when it could have gotten much deeper. This felt more like if someone went and dug a bunch of notes out of the trash... they were disjointed. However, if they ha ...more
Peacegal
Apr 01, 2010 Peacegal rated it really liked it
This book is bizarre, so naturally I liked it. Imagine an artier version of Found: The Best Lost, Tossed, and Forgotten Items from Around the World in which middle school students’ inscrutable and cruel notes are copied, then re-imagined and illustrated in a variety of styles.

I love the way it knocks the wind out of the kids’ cruel words; something tells me the artists were once bullied themselves. Reclaiming your pain—I can get on board with that.

Amanda
May 31, 2010 Amanda rated it it was ok
This is three years worth of notes? I picked this up thinking it would be more like "Post Secret" or "Found," and was disappointed by how many of the notes are repeated throughout, just with different imagery. I would have rather it stuck with the student's artwork and doodles too instead of those of professional artists.
Jen
Jul 12, 2007 Jen rated it really liked it
my friends are in it...your friends are in it...
Jessi
May 09, 2007 Jessi rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who likes doodling
I Looooove this book.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Daniel Massaglia
Daniel Massaglia marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Rhiannon
Rhiannon rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2016
M
M marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Jo Davidson
Jo Davidson marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Bes
Bes marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016
Rebecca Samuelson
Rebecca Samuelson marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Magaly Mondy
Magaly Mondy marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Jennifer Gibbons
Jennifer Gibbons rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Mary Robbin Pittard
Mary Robbin Pittard rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Melisa Miroc
Melisa Miroc marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2015
T.j.
T.j. rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Paul Debraski
Paul Debraski rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2015
Denise Beaton
Denise Beaton rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2015
Katie Mcgee
Katie Mcgee marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Greg
Greg rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2014
Sherwood
Sherwood rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2014
Kwoomac
Kwoomac marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Robert Hawley
Robert Hawley rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2014
Chanda Prescod-weinstein
Chanda Prescod-weinstein rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2014
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Lee Robinson
Lee Robinson rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2013