Start by marking “Towering” as Want to Read:
Towering

Towering

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  3,678 ratings  ·  588 reviews
At first, I merely saw his face, his hands on the window ledge. Then, his whole body as he swung himself through the window. Only I could not see what he swung on.
Until, one day, I told my dream self to look down. And it was then that I saw. He had climbed on a rope. I knew without asking that the rope had been one of my own tying.

Rachel is trapped in a tower, held hostage...more
Published May 14th 2013 by HarperTeen (first published May 1st 2013)

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadUnravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
YA Novels of 2013
197th out of 1,512 books — 10,250 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverLover at Last by J.R. WardThe Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Can't Wait Books of 2013
355th out of 2,466 books — 12,489 voters

More lists with this book...

Clover Donovan
She is going to slay this fairy tale!! :DDD
I cannot freaking wait.

EDIT: Cover revealed!

Love. Cannot. Handle. FREAK OUT OVERLOAD!!!

description
Bookworm007
Ohhhhhhhhhh YEAH!!! All hail Alex Flinn: queen of modern fairytale retellings!!!

edit on June 2, 2013

Ok, so I was wrong: Alex Flinn is no longer the Queen of Modern Fairytale Retellings. That spot is now vacant for Marissa Meyer or Melanie Dickerson to claim.

First off, I was SUPER excited to read this, seeing as how Flinn did a fantabulous job with Beastly, A Kiss in Time, (er, not so much with Cloaked), and Bewitching: The Kendra Chronicles.

Unfortunately, that was not the case. Nope, no siree.

Bu...more
little machines

Actual rating is 2.5 stars.

I've said it a billion times that I'm a huge sucker for fairytale retellings in the YA world, and I've always felt that YA needed more of that genre. Now Rapunzel is a particular one that I've always wanted to see retold in YA fashion, yet I also know that this fairytale is . . . a tough one to modernize. Believe me, I've attempted it. But still, when I stumbled upon this on Goodreads, I was excited. I'm not a huge fan of Alex Flinn, but I was mainly excited for the f...more
✿ℎazℯℓ - thℯ ℛock Cℎick ℱairy✿
I hate to admit it, but clearly, COVER ISN'T EVERYTHING.

I am a big fan of Rapunzel. She's my disney princess. Even when Tangled wasn't out yet, I always always found Rapunzel to be magical, wondrous and very interesting. When I first got a glimpse of this book, I HAD SKY HIGH HOPES. Is it my problem that I set my dreams so high? Oh well.. I guess we can't really have it all, eh?

This book has a damn great cover, I'll give you that. Unfortunately, that's the best thing that I can say about it.

The...more
Anne
I blame the cover.
Look at the beautiful freaking cover! How could I resist it?
Besides, fairytale retellings are my kryptonite. Unfortunately, I end up sifting through massive amounts of crap in order to find a good one. Towering is a prime example of Crap.
I have to admit that I had fair warning about this one, though.
There are literally hundreds of scathing reviews on Goodreads that beg other readers to stay away from this book.
But did I listen?
No. No, I did not.
Why?
Well, I had just finished ano...more
Howdy YAL
To see review click here.

Is it that hard to write a modern day Rapunzel retelling?

Yes and no. I sort of have an idea for one, but I'm not going to write in anytime soon because it currently has five thousand plot holes and probably would be too dark to be mainstream, but whatever. Those who have actually attempted to write one have succeeded somewhat (grant it, I only read two of these retellings and only one has actually sort of succeeded). Towering is not that book.

And yes, we're deviating fro...more
AH
Towering by Alex Flinn is a retelling of the childhood classic Rapunzel with a few modern twists. The result is a creepy gothic tale complete with ghosts and mysteries. Towering is set in upstate New York in the Adirondacks. The region’s natural beauty combined with its isolation from civilization creates a spooky atmosphere.

Our heroine Rachel has been living in a tower for almost as long as she can remember. She’s 17 years old and has beautiful “golden princess” hair which grows so fast it mus...more
Renu
Towering is an enchantingly dark re-telling of Rapunzel with a modern twist.

The story opens with a clash of modern and fairytale-esq scene setting. Trapped in a tower she's never left Rachel reads classics and wonders what the world outside her confinement is like. Alternately, Wyatt checks his cell phone for reception as he exits a train and steps into the small, isolated town of Slakkill.

My favourite aspect of this book was the mystery. Flinn creates a creepy, and desolate atmosphere that adds...more
Elevetha
1.5 stars.

I don't even know. Seriously, this review...my brain, it hurts. It's mostly a stream of consciousness review - be warned.

The problems with this book are abundant and scattered throughout. I mean, I don't even know where to start, it's that confusing. You've got your Rapunzel retelling and your murder/disappearance mystery, kind of, which ties in to the retelling but that's where it gets kinky. So apparently, as far as I can tell, (view spoiler)...more
Amber Skye
Nov 01, 2012 Amber Skye marked it as to-read

Like, do you guys have ANY idea how excited I am for this book? BECAUSE I AM REALLY EXCITED OKAY. I need it. Now.
Martha
Rapunzel is my favourite princess fairytale (ok maybe just because of Tangled...) so I was looking forward to reading this book. I think you can do a lot with the Rapunzel tale but this book... was kind of a let down.

I didn't realise that this was written by the author of Beastly at first but now I can see definite pattern with her work, as this book starts off okay, looks promising and the ending is so rushed. The same thing happened with Beastly. I barely had an idea what was going on in the...more
Angela (:
Woah. How did I not know about this?

RAPUNZEL. <3

Nemo
This book had SO much potential! I feel like it kept building me up to a wonderful ending and then just dropped me.

“If you're not a hero, does that make you a villain?”

This book was completely original, slightly unpredictable and if it wasn't for that ending it would have been great . It was a retelling of Rapunzel, with a twist. It starts out with the typical girl in a tower, remembering her past. Then we see Wyatts point of view and its when things get interesting. He went through an awful...more
Rebecca
**Warning*** This review contains spoilers for the book.

When I first saw Towering, I was very excited to read it. Not only because it has a beautiful cover and a lovely summary, but because I have read some of Flinn's other books and loved them. I'm beginning to think that I have a love/hate relationship with her work, because I enjoyed Beastly (the book and the movie), A Kiss In Time, and Bewitching. If anyone asked me for recommendations for good retellings, I would point them towards those i...more
the golden witch.
Okay, guys, I’ll admit: I really liked “Beastly”, and I’ve had the second of the Kendra books sitting in my TBR pile on Mr. Nook for months now, which I heard was pretty good. So to see another fairyretelling by Flinn coming out made me pretty exciting, especially since “Beastly” put some very creative twists on the original “La Belle et Le Bete” tale. However, it was not to be. “Towering” was disappointing in all technical areas. I can’t even claim it as a guilty pleasure read – that’s how bad...more
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

As a person who has enjoyed fairy tale retellings my entire life, I was looking forward to TOWERING. I was curious how Flinn would retell the story of a girl who lived in a tower in a modern day setting. It seemed like quite the challenge. Unfortunately, it ended up being a completely implausible and awkwardly written story that was very disappointing.

TOWERING's biggest failing was the fact that I found it remarkably unbelievable. As you all know, I rea...more
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
Okay first off I have to say that I give any author credit for re-telling a fairy tale and making into a YA book. Kudos to you for doing that because it is not easy and lord knows you will get those out there who will not like it and trash it but I have to say I was really impressed by this book. When I was talking to a few of my goodreads buddies they all said they were nervous to read this one and I said yes I agree but let's give it a go. What is the worse that can happen that we don't like i...more
Riya
Initially this started out slow and I had some trouble figuring out what the oozles was going on, but Flinn turned it around, picked up the pace in no time and showed me just why I call her the Queen of fairytale retellings. I can finally let out the breath I've been holding while reading this novel, because, no, Flinn did not - in no way whatsoever - butcher my cherished fairytale. Yippee!

Beastly is my favourite work of Flinn's, but Towering definitely held its own ground. One of the problems I...more
Samantha
Towering... I was surprised to like this one. My previous read by Flinn was rated not more than average, so I didn't really expect to love it this much for it's just another retelling. And that's the thing, it's a 'retelling' so we all know what's it's all about and what's going to happen inside but NO, this book was really exciting and full of unexpected things. Not really one of my average reads 'cuz I loved it!

So it's the modern version of Rapunzel played by Rachel and Wyatt. That's my favori...more
Paula  Phillips
As readers of The Phantom Paragrapher will know , I am a huge fan of rendition novels and one of my favourites would have to be Beastly by Alex Flinn. So when I learnt that she had a new one coming out called Towering , I knew I just had to read it . For those who have never read an Alex Flinn before - you will notice that they are called the Kendra Chronicles but in this particular novel the name Kendra does not arise. In Book #1 Beastly, Kendra was a witch who in order to teach the main charac...more
Mehsi
This was a retelling (sorta and very modern) of the fairy tale of Rapunzel. I wasn't sure what to think of it at first.

I loved the original story, and wasn't sure if the modern setting would work. In the end.. Yes, I loved it though there were some things that I just found weird. (view spoiler)
Also the fact that I was disappointed (view spoiler)...more
Savannah (Books With Bite)
Since I’ve been following this series from the beginning, I had to read this. I really enjoyed watching Kendra meddle in other peoples lives. Unfortunately, while the book is good, it didn't live up to my expectations.
My first thought after finishing the book was, where’s Kendra? Its missing Kendra. As I read on in the chapters, I kept expecting to see Kendra step in, meddle, create chaos, or at least help the situation someway. Instead, Kendra was no where to be found and that left me sad. I re...more
(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
17-year-old Rachel knows very little of the world other than what she has read in books. For years she’s been imprisoned in a tower in the middle of some woods, with only ‘mama’ visiting occasionally for company.

Wyatt is travelling to stay with a friend of his mom’s called Mrs Greenwood. When he arrives he finds a diary in one of the rooms in the house, which seems to have belonged to Mrs Greenwood’s missing daughter Danielle.
One day whilst out with some frien...more
Luna
I was pretty excited when I received it, actually I bumped Towering to the very top of my TBR reading it the same night. Having read Beastly & A Kiss in Time I was expecting a cheesy but fun reinvention of a classic fairytale and I can definitely say I got cheesy – not so sure about the rest.

Retelling Rapunzel in a modern setting is not going to be easy and for the first part of the book Towering seemed to be doing it. Our hero, Wyatt, arrives in this faraway town following the death of his...more
Mel
The cover is bloody gorgeous <3 I. can't. wait!

2.5 stars, http://thedailyprophecy.blogspot.com

The first thing I need to say is: why is this part of the Kendra chronicles? I really don’t get it. Kendra has nothing to do with this book and it doesn’t have any connection with Beastly and Bewitching. Strange.. And it was good, but was it as good as I expected? Not really.

EDIT, comment from the author:
Thanks for the review. I apologize for any confusion about Kendra. This book is a standalone bo...more
Beth
Wyatt's best friend has recently died. To help him, his mother ships Wyatt off to her childhood town in upstate NY. Wyatt’s mother arranges for him to stay with an elderly woman whose daughter, Dani, has gone missing years ago. From the moment Wyatt enters the Adirondacks he starts hearing a mysterious song. Wyatt discovers a hidden journal belonging to Dani and it was written right before she disappears. He slowly starts to unravel Dani’s past.

Rachel is trapped in a magical tower. She watches t...more
Cassie

It wasn't bad, but it also wasn't good. I liked it, but I also thought it was okay too. This was an iffy book is all I can say. The book was confusing throughout, I honestly had to put it down multiple times, asking myself "What did I just read?", because in all honesty, I had no clue what I had just read. When nearing the end of the book, you figure out everything fully, but still I was trying to keep my hold on at understanding the book.

The characters though was something I majorly li...more
Clare
Incredibly beautiful and now one of my favorite books, Towering by Alex Flinn is definitely worth the read.
I have always admired the fairy tale of Rapunzel, and so when I saw the amazing cover and read what the story was about, I automatically put it in my to-read pile.
The characters in this book are fascinating and almost unlike any other characters I've read about. I love spontaneous characters who are really adventurous, and that is what these characters are. The split narration between W...more
Winnie
Alex Flinn is a unique writer. I like how she uses her imagination to retell the classics. Towering for example is a retell of Rapunzel… And I liked it.

Rachel, AKA Rapunzel had lived a secluded life for as long as she can remember. Yet there is something about her that’s unique.
Wyatt is a young man who’s dealing with a life changing lost and if possible Wyatt wants to go back in time to fixed a wrong that he blames himself for.

But, Fate, the meddling bitch has something else planned for both Ra...more
Crazy for Young A...: Towering by Alex Flinn → Start Date: March 28, 2014 46 33 Apr 08, 2014 10:25PM
All About Fantasy: towering 6 8 Jul 24, 2013 03:58AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Towering by Alex Flinn -> Starts July 9th 35 17 Jul 19, 2013 11:29AM
Is Kendra in this book? 3 45 Jun 08, 2013 04:21PM
  • Beauty
  • Of Beast and Beauty
  • Furious
  • Cold Spell (Fairytale Retellings, #4)
  • My Name Is Rapunzel
  • Beauty and the Beast (Faerie Tale Collection, #1)
  • Prophecy of Oz (Prophecy of Oz, #1)
  • The Last Academy
  • Rapunzel Untangled
  • Snow White Sorrow (The Grimm Diaries, #1)
  • Transparent (Transparent, #1)
  • The Fairest of Them All
  • Shards of the Glass Slipper: Queen Cinder (Shards of the Glass Slipper, #1)
  • Princess of the Silver Woods (Princess, #3)
  • A White So Red
  • The Shadow Girl
  • Parallel
  • Strands of Bronze and Gold
I was born in a log cabin in the Big Woods of . . . okay, maybe not. I was born on Long Island, New York. When I was five years old, my mom said that I should be an author. I guess I must have nodded or something because, from that point on, every poem I ever wrote in school was submitted to Highlights or Cricket magazine. I was collecting rejection slips at age seven!

I learned to read early. But...more
More about Alex Flinn...
Beastly A Kiss in Time Cloaked Bewitching: The Kendra Chronicles Breathing Underwater (Breathing Underwater, #1)

“You have to avoid thinking of what upsets you. If not, it will take over your life.” 18 likes
“The thing about Sarah was, she always did what I wanted her to do. Always. And that was because she was me, and I was her. She never disappointed me. She always showed up. Wyatt disappointed me precisely because he was real. He was a real boy who could not climb my tower in the slippery rain.” 4 likes