Start by marking “Steampunk III: Steampunk Revolution” as Want to Read:
Steampunk III: Steampunk Revolution

Steampunk III: Steampunk Revolution (Steampunk #3)

3.46  ·  Rating Details  ·  82 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
27 fiction, 4 non-fiction entries imagine technology in Victorian era and philosophize on influences. Intro, bios, notes.
Fiction
“Harry and Marlowe and the Talisman of the Cult of Egil” by Carrie Vaughn
“Addison Howell and the Clockroach” by Cherie Priest
“On Wooden Wings” by Paolo Chikiamco
“Sir Ranulph Wykeham-Rackham” by Lev Grossman
“The Heart Is the Matter” by Malissa
Published October 5th 2012 by Tachyon (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Steampunk III, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Steampunk III

Joe Karpierz
Nov 23, 2012 Joe Karpierz rated it really liked it
I really didn't know what to expect when I started reading this. I've not read any steampunk in the past, so I had no basis on which to make a statement about whether this was good or bad steampunk.

It turns out that didn't matter. These stories are examples of a brewing change in steampunk, and as such I could read them without thinking about that label. It is a very good collection of stories. As with any collection, there are a few stories that aren't to my tastes, but that didn't deter me fr
Shamela
Jul 19, 2013 Shamela rated it really liked it
Solid anthology, as per usual from Ann VanderMeer. My only complaint is only a teensy one, and perhaps not even really one. Most of the works here seem like "teasers," in that they'd build up steam (Ah HA HAHAHAhahahaha) and then...boom. Story over. Technically, that's doing what an anthology is supposed to do, I guess, in introducing me to authors. So even though that left me a bit frustrated, I guess it warrants a tip of the hat.

Also, if you want to know what's going on with steampunk, reading
Malissa Kent
I keep skipping over my own story in this collection; it almost feels like if I read it, it might disappear. And, well, I know my story. Discovering all the other pieces is great fun!
Nafiza
Feb 19, 2013 Nafiza rated it really liked it
Steampuk III: Steampunk Revolution is an anthology brimming with glimpses of lives and worlds as diverse as reality. While all the stories have substance to them, I will review the ones that spoke to me in some way or other.

“Mother is a Machine” by Catherynne M. Valente

As is Valente’s style, this short story is vivid, provocative and disturbing. It takes a moment for the reader to situate herself in the narrative, find her ground, figure out who is what and what’s happening but once that is done
Matthew
Feb 09, 2013 Matthew rated it liked it
When I saw this book featured in the "new arrivals" section at my local library, I had to snatch it up. I can't tell you how many times I've dropped the word steampunk into a conversation only to receive a blank stare (which then launched me into a giddy explanation of what steampunk is all about). In that sense, I'm really the target audience.

So it surprises me that I'm only giving this book three stars (and by the way, it's a little intimidating to post when the first couple of reviews are fro
An Odd1
Oct 22, 2014 An Odd1 rated it did not like it
Thought recognized one or two from elsewhere, can't find. Start with plots. Deteriorate fast.
1 Harry and Marlowe and the Talisman of the Cult of Egil by Carrie Vaughn - When she finds alien Aetherian artifact, Harry flees barbaric guardians "this horde - descendants of a lost tribe of Vikings trapped under the Icelandic volcano .. A hundred leather-clad footsteps pounded on the stone behind her" p 17. (view spoiler)
Wealhtheow
Carrie Vaughn's "Harry and Marlowe and the Talisman of the Cult of Egil": in the midst of a war, a lady and an airship pilot are the British Empire's best hope of getting an Aetherian artifact that might defeat Prussia. Introduces an interesting set of characters and hints at a cool alternate world, but this is too short to do much else.

Cherie Priest's "Addison Howell and the Clockroach"...

The problem with electronic lending is when the lending period is up, the library can just snatch the book
T. Kent
Mar 07, 2015 T. Kent rated it it was amazing
All three of the Steampunk anthologies were great. Just recently finished this last one.
Mat
Apr 22, 2016 Mat rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
Painfully dull and boring. It's got nothing to do with Steampunk. Like AT ALL.
Maybe Vandermeer should think more about establishing a genre rather than revolutionize something that isn't quite there yet to begin with.
Steer clear of this, steam freaks! Volume 1 was pretty good. 2 was pretty bad. 3 is ridiculous.
Joseph
I am intrigued by this genre, and I want to read more. I have never been a big sci-fi guy, but the twist here is that most of these stories are set in the past (commonly the Victorian era) imagining little bends in the path of history and technology. I always loved Jules Verne and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, which are both commonly cited as precursors to steampunk.

Now, to get myself a nice pair of flight goggles and a waistcoat!
Angelica
Aug 06, 2015 Angelica rated it it was amazing
The best of the three. I didn't love every story, but I enjoyed the vast majority of them; the perfect balance of dark and light stories, some classic neo-Victorian steampunk and some more unconventional pieces. Note: Why is this volume edited by Ann VanderMeer alone? Did Jeff VanderMeer not have time or inclination, or is it an attempt not to be biased since the book contains a story by him?
Rachel Brune
Oct 27, 2013 Rachel Brune rated it liked it
I did not enjoy this collection as much as the first two. That said, there are some fun stories in here. However, on the whole, I felt that there was this overriding sense of earnestness that sucked a lot of the joy from the work. I prefer a little less manifesto in my steampunk, and a little more steampunk.
Kendra
Sep 10, 2014 Kendra rated it did not like it
I don't mind reading an anthology that collects pieces from other sources, but when the pieces are from other collections by the same editors, it's lazy. And on top of that there were only about 2 good stories in here...both of which, of course, I'd read elsewhere.
Aaron
Feb 04, 2015 Aaron rated it it was ok
A mixed bag, like most anthologies. I find myself more drawn to "traditional steampunk" (oxymoron?) as opposed to the post-apocalyptic scenarios that seem to run through this collection.
David Nelson
Dec 07, 2012 David Nelson rated it it was amazing
I am 100% biased here because 1) I've really dug the other two VanderMeer steampunk anthos and 2) I have a story in this collection.
Katelynn
Jan 26, 2016 Katelynn rated it it was ok
See my updates for more of my individual thoughts on the stories. Anything I rated 4 stars I'd recommend checking out!
Aaron Theis
Oct 10, 2013 Aaron Theis rated it it was amazing
Great entry from this series, I especially enjoyed the scientific essays...
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Paris
Paris added it
May 22, 2016
Kassie Koller
Kassie Koller marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Emily Boyd
Emily Boyd marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Choirsoftheeye
Choirsoftheeye marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Arlene Downey
Arlene Downey marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Nathalie
Nathalie marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Efreak
Efreak marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
  • The Mammoth Book of Steampunk
  • Extraordinary Engines: The Definitive Steampunk Anthology
  • Steampunk (Steampunk, #1)
  • The Year's Best Dark Fantasy & Horror, 2012 Edition
  • Dead of Veridon (The Burn Cycle #2)
  • Ghosts by Gaslight: Stories of Steampunk and Supernatural Suspense
  • Pinion (Clockwork Earth #3)
  • Other Worlds Than These
  • Interfictions: An Anthology of Interstitial Writing
  • Steampunk World
  • Gideon Smith and the Brass Dragon (Gideon Smith, #2)
  • Clockwork Fairy Tales: A Collection of Steampunk Fables
  • Steampunk Prime: A Vintage Steampunk Reader
  • The Immersion Book of Steampunk
  • Clockwork Phoenix: Tales of Beauty and Strangeness (Clockwork Phoenix, #1)
  • Nebula Awards Showcase 2012
  • The Great Game (The Bookman Histories, #3)
  • The Immorality Engine (Newbury and Hobbes, #3)

Steampunk (3 books)
  • Steampunk (Steampunk, #1)
  • Steampunk II: Steampunk Reloaded (Steampunk, #2)