Start by marking “Steampunk III: Steampunk Revolution” as Want to Read:
Steampunk III: Steampunk Revolution

Steampunk III: Steampunk Revolution (Steampunk #3)

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  15 reviews
27 fiction, 4 non-fiction entries imagine technology in Victorian era and philosophize on influences. Intro, bios, notes.
Fiction
“Harry and Marlowe and the Talisman of the Cult of Egil” by Carrie Vaughn
“Addison Howell and the Clockroach” by Cherie Priest
“On Wooden Wings” by Paolo Chikiamco
“Sir Ranulph Wykeham-Rackham” by Lev Grossman
“The Heart Is the Matter” by Malissa
Published October 5th 2012 by Tachyon (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Steampunk III, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Steampunk III

Joe Karpierz
I really didn't know what to expect when I started reading this. I've not read any steampunk in the past, so I had no basis on which to make a statement about whether this was good or bad steampunk.

It turns out that didn't matter. These stories are examples of a brewing change in steampunk, and as such I could read them without thinking about that label. It is a very good collection of stories. As with any collection, there are a few stories that aren't to my tastes, but that didn't deter me fr
Shamela
Solid anthology, as per usual from Ann VanderMeer. My only complaint is only a teensy one, and perhaps not even really one. Most of the works here seem like "teasers," in that they'd build up steam (Ah HA HAHAHAhahahaha) and then...boom. Story over. Technically, that's doing what an anthology is supposed to do, I guess, in introducing me to authors. So even though that left me a bit frustrated, I guess it warrants a tip of the hat.

Also, if you want to know what's going on with steampunk, reading
Malissa Kent
I keep skipping over my own story in this collection; it almost feels like if I read it, it might disappear. And, well, I know my story. Discovering all the other pieces is great fun!
Nafiza
Steampuk III: Steampunk Revolution is an anthology brimming with glimpses of lives and worlds as diverse as reality. While all the stories have substance to them, I will review the ones that spoke to me in some way or other.

“Mother is a Machine” by Catherynne M. Valente

As is Valente’s style, this short story is vivid, provocative and disturbing. It takes a moment for the reader to situate herself in the narrative, find her ground, figure out who is what and what’s happening but once that is done
Matthew
When I saw this book featured in the "new arrivals" section at my local library, I had to snatch it up. I can't tell you how many times I've dropped the word steampunk into a conversation only to receive a blank stare (which then launched me into a giddy explanation of what steampunk is all about). In that sense, I'm really the target audience.

So it surprises me that I'm only giving this book three stars (and by the way, it's a little intimidating to post when the first couple of reviews are fro
An Odd1
Thought recognized one or two from elsewhere, can't find. Start with plots. Deteriorate fast.
1 Harry and Marlowe and the Talisman of the Cult of Egil by Carrie Vaughn - When she finds alien Aetherian artifact, Harry flees barbaric guardians "this horde - descendants of a lost tribe of Vikings trapped under the Icelandic volcano .. A hundred leather-clad footsteps pounded on the stone behind her" p 17. (view spoiler)
Wealhtheow
Carrie Vaughn's "Harry and Marlowe and the Talisman of the Cult of Egil": in the midst of a war, a lady and an airship pilot are the British Empire's best hope of getting an Aetherian artifact that might defeat Prussia. Introduces an interesting set of characters and hints at a cool alternate world, but this is too short to do much else.

Cherie Priest's "Addison Howell and the Clockroach"...

The problem with electronic lending is when the lending period is up, the library can just snatch the book
T. Kent
All three of the Steampunk anthologies were great. Just recently finished this last one.
Joseph
I am intrigued by this genre, and I want to read more. I have never been a big sci-fi guy, but the twist here is that most of these stories are set in the past (commonly the Victorian era) imagining little bends in the path of history and technology. I always loved Jules Verne and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, which are both commonly cited as precursors to steampunk.

Now, to get myself a nice pair of flight goggles and a waistcoat!
Angelica
The best of the three. I didn't love every story, but I enjoyed the vast majority of them; the perfect balance of dark and light stories, some classic neo-Victorian steampunk and some more unconventional pieces. Note: Why is this volume edited by Ann VanderMeer alone? Did Jeff VanderMeer not have time or inclination, or is it an attempt not to be biased since the book contains a story by him?
Rachel Brune
I did not enjoy this collection as much as the first two. That said, there are some fun stories in here. However, on the whole, I felt that there was this overriding sense of earnestness that sucked a lot of the joy from the work. I prefer a little less manifesto in my steampunk, and a little more steampunk.
Kendra
I don't mind reading an anthology that collects pieces from other sources, but when the pieces are from other collections by the same editors, it's lazy. And on top of that there were only about 2 good stories in here...both of which, of course, I'd read elsewhere.
Aaron
A mixed bag, like most anthologies. I find myself more drawn to "traditional steampunk" (oxymoron?) as opposed to the post-apocalyptic scenarios that seem to run through this collection.
David Nelson
I am 100% biased here because 1) I've really dug the other two VanderMeer steampunk anthos and 2) I have a story in this collection.
Aaron Theis
Great entry from this series, I especially enjoyed the scientific essays...
Tim
Tim added it
Aug 27, 2015
Danaka Johnson
Danaka Johnson marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Ari
Ari is currently reading it
Aug 19, 2015
Mark Dickson
Mark Dickson marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Phylisha Stone
Phylisha Stone marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
Faith
Faith marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Elizabeth Chatsworth
Elizabeth Chatsworth marked it as to-read
Martin Haverholm
Martin Haverholm marked it as to-read
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Hayley Elliott
Hayley Elliott marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Mammoth Book of Steampunk
  • Extraordinary Engines: The Definitive Steampunk Anthology
  • Steampunk (Steampunk, #1)
  • Dead of Veridon (The Burn Cycle #2)
  • The Year's Best Dark Fantasy & Horror, 2012 Edition
  • Other Worlds Than These
  • Ghosts by Gaslight: Stories of Steampunk and Supernatural Suspense
  • Pinion (Clockwork Earth #3)
  • The Immersion Book of Steampunk
  • The Immorality Engine (Newbury and Hobbes, #3)
  • The Adventures of Langdon St. Ives
  • Clockwork Fairy Tales: A Collection of Steampunk Fables
  • Wings of Fire
  • Morlock Night

Steampunk (3 books)
  • Steampunk (Steampunk, #1)
  • Steampunk II: Steampunk Reloaded (Steampunk, #2)
The New Weird Steampunk II: Steampunk Reloaded (Steampunk, #2) The Thackery T. Lambshead Cabinet of Curiosities The Time Traveler's Almanac The Kosher Guide to Imaginary Animals: The Evil Monkey Dialogues