Start by marking “Close Encounters” as Want to Read:
Close Encounters

Close Encounters

4.5 of 5 stars 4.50  ·  rating details  ·  14 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Here are maps of the distances between us and within us. With humor, anger and deep emotion, Jen Michalski's first collection of stories is a window on the daily struggle for connection that links and separates us all. (2nd printing; paperback edition).

“Michalski reveals to the reader the sparkly gems of the seediest of worlds. Michalski is best when she creates realities
Paperback, 2nd , 148 pages
Published June 2007 by So New

To ask other readers questions about Close Encounters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Close Encounters

Catherine
Jen Michalski's book is full of stories that are strange and imaginative and thoughtful and wonderful. Her writing is creative and very deftly crafted. Highly recommended.
Melanie Page
Jen Michalski, my editor at JMWW, sent me this book as a gift. Much appreciated!!!! I always worry when it's time to say something on Goodreads, especially about friends, even ones I haven't met yet, like Jen! It's scary: I don't want to talk about things I didn't like, but I don't want to be overly gushy and obviously phony.

That being said, I LOVED Jen's collection! Most of the stories brought up new ideas I haven't read before, and as a person with 2 graduate degrees in short fiction writing,
Adam
Sep 12, 2007 Adam rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: small press fans
Cross-posted at Amazon:
Jen Michalski's short stories are at once subtly freaky, tender, and layered. Her lavish characters are Baltimoreans through-and-through; quirky, damaged, and gettin' by. She writes in acute prose, with each sentence in its place 'cause that's the place that they should be. The book itself -- as artifact -- is worth the purchase price alone as it seems lovingly hand-crafted (although, if you're persnickety, this means that some of the pages are hard to handle).
David
I love these stories. They are wild and inventive, everything I look for in stories. Each one has something unusual about it, yet each of the stories are very different. Some of them have some pretty strong emotional impact, though all of them are really well written. I picked this up on a whim and I'm quite impressed.
Michael Fisher
Michael Fisher marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Vanessa Hairfield
Vanessa Hairfield marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Jill Smith
Jill Smith marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Amy
Amy added it
Feb 03, 2014
Casey
Casey marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2013
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2013
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2011
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2011
Henning Koch
Henning Koch marked it as to-read
May 03, 2011
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2011
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
May 12, 2010
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2010
Jen Michalski
Nov 18, 2008 Jen Michalski rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Could You Be With Her Now: Two Novellas The Tide King City Sages: Baltimore From Here Pear Noir! (#5)