Start by marking “The Fire Station” as Want to Read:
The Fire Station

The Fire Station

This story starts out with a familiar premise: Michael and Sheila visit a fire station. But then the Munsch flair for imaginative insight and humor take over. While the two kids are exploring a fire truck, an alarm goes off—and away go Michael and Sheila to the rescue!
Published October 2nd 2012 by Annick Press (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Fire Station, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fire Station

title: the fire station
author: Robert Munsch and Michael Martchenko
characters: Michael, Sheila, Firemen, Michael's mother, Sheila's father,
setting: Fire Station down the street
plot: Michael and Sheila visited the fire station and while they were looking into the fire truck the firemen took them away unknowingly going to there emergency. They were taken home after the fire chief discovered them near the fire. When they arrived home their parents made the kids take a long shower.
theme: The Fireme
Feb 20, 2014 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a board book version of a classic Munsch book. Michael and Sheila are walking down the street when they decide to visit the fire department. As they are exploring the engine a call comes in and they go along for the ride to the fire. The kids become covered in colored smoke so when they arrive home their parents don't even recognize them until they bathe. The next day the mischievous duo are again strolling down the road when Sheila decides it would be a great idea to check out a police ...more
I read once how Robert Munsch comes up with his stories. He goes to a school and asks, "Who wants to be in a new story?" Then some kid will volunteer, and he'll make up a story about that kid. Sometimes the stories are good, and sometimes they are lousy. The good ones, he keeps telling and changing and telling and changing, and eventually, they wind up as a book after about 5 years of telling and changing.

Now, go read a Munsch book. Totally explains everything, doesn't it? It even, to an extent
Kristin King
Jan 19, 2015 Kristin King rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My boys liked "that the boy and the girl were friends, and they went to the fire station to ask the fireman if they could check out the big fire trucks. And there was water and fire and they didn't get angry at each other. They got dirty, and her mom said 'you're too dirty to come in and play with my daughter.'" "And the boy stayed in the bath for 3 days" etc.
Pamela (slytherpuff)
Boy Child wants to be a Firefighter. He wears his Fireman hat and Fireman boots everywhere.
He would wear his Fireman coat if I didn't have it hidden during the summer.
He thinks that Fireman Sam is one of the greatest shows ever.*

So I was totally excited when I was approved for this galley!

It's hard to read kids' books on an iPad, but we powered through.
Over and over.
And over and over.
And over.

Boy Child loves it. Girl child loves it. The Husband and I don't hate it.
We have a winner!

I purchased on
Feb 07, 2011 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Fire Station by Robert N. Munsch, illustrated by Michael Martchenko, starts with the premise of a visit to the fire station, but Sheila says she wants to drive the fire truck. While exploring the fire truck an alarm goes off, and so do Sheila and Michael, straight to a fire!

This zany story by Robert Munsch is a winner with his signature eager character, astonished parents, and in this case, a surprised fire chief, with an ending suggesting more craziness to come. Michael Martchenko's wild i
Feb 27, 2016 Kimberly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't really like this book, it was just ok for me. My kids liked it though, and I can see why, because it sounded like a young child was telling the story; the transitions were abrupt.
this one was meh! it was alright! I enjoyed the illustrations more than the story!!
illustrations are always beautiful!
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Sheila and Michael went out one day to learn about their neighborhood fire station. They didn't expect to go on a wild adventure!

A Munsch classic, The Fire Station, is trimmed down to a shorter board book version. Munsch followers will rejoice at the re-written, and re-formatted book. Readers interested in fire station books may not enjoy this title as much as the Munschers. The story is fantastical, so it is better suited to story time settings and not learning sessions about fire stations, fi
Mar 13, 2014 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story is really pretty funny and had my son cracking up.
Marc Lucke
May 31, 2016 Marc Lucke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction

This has all the classic elements of a Munsch caper: kids oblivious to consequence and authority, physics-defying cataclysms and hilarious and harmless repercussions for everyone.

The big, detailed drawings of the fire truck are an audience-pleaser, and the sheer reckless zeal of the protagonists makes for a fun read.

Edit 05/2016: It does bother me that Martchenko didn't include a single drawing of a policewoman or firewoman. He had more than one opportunity to do so, and it would have made a sma

Mar 17, 2014 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture
Munschworks collection
Sep 01, 2014 Karrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, 2014-preschool
Super cute~
Mar 09, 2015 Ckolleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another classic Robert Munsch book!
Amber Lynch
Nov 23, 2010 Amber Lynch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Sheila talks Michael in to going to the firehouse. Sheila asks to see everything in the firehouse including the desire to drive a firetruck. The fireman says never! The alarm goes off and Sheila and Michael hide in the back of the firetruck and go on adventure. Are Sheila and Michael found and what happens if they are found?

Discuss the safety of visiting a firehouse and how should boys and girls behave? Discuss if the students would ever want to go to a call like they did and why?
I think it was a cute book of two inquisitive kids who tend to get themselves in trouble. I do think it was a little repetitive that they both got home and their parents didn't recognize them and they took baths. I did love the illustrations of them all different colors and of them taking baths with the bubbles all around the room.
Nancy Mosqueda
Michael and Sheila are full of adventures. Fire-trucks, police stations, baths! What could possibly come next for these two adventurers? Sheila, our mischevious little girl is always leading little Michael into some new trouble. Our characters are full of energy and curriosity that seeps through the pages.
Jul 27, 2013 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book as a child and, admittedly, it makes less sense as an adult. It's a fun theme though...little ones getting in trouble and it's the girl's fault. I've always loved "The Paper Bag Princess" but I hadn't realized quite how wonderful Robert Munsch is for little girls.
Kathleen Ruff
I absolutely loved this book. It told the story of a spontaneous little girl and her friend and their trip to the fire station. This would be a great book to kids about community jobs such as a fireman and a policeman, a field trip would make this book come alive.
Elizabeth K.
May 19, 2013 Elizabeth K. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-lucy
You know, as an adult, I don't get this story at all. I'm completely unclear on what happened. Were the kids pretending to go to a fire, and the parents are playing along? Not a winner in our house.
Mark Nenadov
May 31, 2012 Mark Nenadov rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, munsch
A fun-to-reread classic from my childhood with great artwork. Sheila is totally devious and not a good role-model, though. Poor Michael. This may make a good cautionary tale sort of book for young sons.
Aug 03, 2011 Amberly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Not my favorite Robert Munsch but would be just fine for a read aloud around career day to open the discussion about fire fighters and police officers.
Corbchops says: "I liked when they drove away in a police car because the policeman didn't know that they were in there. It was funny."
Holly Beely
My daughter's new "favorite" book after she had a tour of a local fire station. I don't think it's a great book, but she does :)
Dec 24, 2012 Marlee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is cute and funny. The children in it are loveable. It's predictable for adults, but fun for kids to listen to.
Kimberly Hill
Jul 31, 2012 Kimberly Hill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this book to Taylor tonight, he loved it! I think it's going to be one of our frequent reads.
Victoria Avonlea
I really don't get the appeal of this one at all; but my daughter seems to like it.
Apr 26, 2011 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love these books...
Especially to read to 1st graders... lol
Nov 12, 2010 Ronda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Fun to read and a good story to use for predicting.
Tracy Morton
Oct 10, 2012 Tracy Morton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Great for the community helpers strand in social studies.
  • The Balloon Tree
  • Red Is Best
  • Snow
  • The Wrong Book
  • Wow! Ocean!
  • There Was a Cold Lady Who Swallowed Some Snow!
  • Alligator Pie (Collector's Edition)
  • When I Was Eight
  • Roaring Rockets
  • Hickory Dickory Dock
  • Valentine Mice!
  • Jacob Two-Two and the Dinosaur
  • Snap!
  • Augustine
  • With You All the Way
  • You Think It's Easy Being the Tooth Fairy?
  • The Berenstain Bears' Funny Valentine
  • Splat Says Thank You!
Robert Munsch was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He graduated from Fordham University in 1969 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in history and from Boston University in 1971 with a Master of Arts degree in anthropology.

He studied to become a Jesuit priest, but decided he would rather work with children after jobs at orphanages and daycare centers. In 1973, he received a Master of Education in Chil
More about Robert Munsch...