Start by marking “The Diary of a Submissive” as Want to Read:
The Diary of a Submissive

The Diary of a Submissive (The Diary of a Submissive #1)

3.4  ·  Rating Details ·  2,529 Ratings  ·  327 Reviews
Sophie Morgan is an independent woman in her thirties with a successful journalism career. Intelligent, witty and sarcastic, she could be the girl next door. Except that Sophie is a submissive; in the bedroom she likes to relinquish her power and personal freedom to a dominant man for their mutual pleasure.

In the wake of Fifty Shades of Grey, here is a memoir that offers t
ebook
Published August 7th 2012 by Penguin Books (first published 2012)

Natasha is a Book Junkie
I decided to read this book because after finishing Fifty Shades of Grey I got curious about the topic of BDSM in literature and ended up reading quite a collection of similarly themed stories. I thoroughly enjoyed Cherise Sinclair’s works and wanted to get a deeper understanding of why a person, a woman in this case, would willingly choose to become a submissive. I had somewhat grasped by now the concept of relinquishing all control and handing it over to another person for the purpose of focus ...more
Eunice
Aug 29, 2012 Eunice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who have read 50 Shades and are thinking of engaging in BDSM because of it
HAHAHAHAHAHHA OK so ignore the cover pictured, the cover you want to look at is this one: The Diary of a Submissive by Sophie Morgan
which is what I encountered when I stepped into work today. I mean, just look at it! It's LITERALLY a cover of Twilight crossed with 50 Shades of Grey.

The blurb said something like, 'A Real Life Christian Grey' - which had me choking back fits of laughter.

So I flicked through it and discovered that it is actually Subtext: A Modern Day Tale of Female Submission, but with more pages / stories encounters adde
~ Becs ~

This is most definitely not a starry-eyed, rose-tinted BDSM romance novel and it is certainly nothing like Fifty Shades but in the wake of that book, it’s a realistic glimpse of a BDSM lifesty
Jess
Aug 29, 2012 Jess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the book. It was wonderful to know that other submissives also share the same doubts, questions,.dilemmas about themselves; that the search of a Dom is tough, but it can be real if one keeps one's feet on the ground.

The book was real to the Ds lifestyle. The subtle references to Fifty Shades (eye rolling) were irksome, but then most Dominants out there do have that rule in place :-)

The paragraphs seemed to be mixed up in some places. The writing style does take some effort but th
Nick Urzdown
Sep 25, 2012 Nick Urzdown rated it did not like it
I went to WH Smith's in Manchester the other day to buy a Kobo e-book reader, and I saw that the entrance to the shop was pretty much stuffed with erotica. Sophie Morgan's Diary of a Submissive caught my eye and I began to flip through it. The rather sweet blonde girl who was selling me the Kobo offered to let me have The Diary of a Submissive for £3.00 or so, and on impulse I let her load it onto my new toy.

Sophie Morgan's book is advertised as the words of a genuine submissive, but I have my d
Amy
Jul 20, 2012 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC of Diary of a Submissive: A Modern True Tale of Sexual Awakening by Sophie Morgan.

First and foremost, I feel the need to open this review with a warning: If you have been a victim of emotional or physical abuse in a relationship or have experienced sexual assault, this book may trigger potential flashbacks of your experience. (And, a side note, I am very sorry for your experiences, if this is the case)

The book starts out with the author assuming that the reader would see her an
Sophie
Oct 26, 2012 Sophie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hot, erotica, sex, own
Let me say this first - if you want to read this book only because you liked Fifty Shades of Grey, then do yourself a favor and think twice. Those books are very very different. Fifty Shades of Grey is mostly a romance book. Its about love, emotions, romance. Yes, there is BDSM there, but its for spice. Its not the main theme. People that are not into BDSM can relate to this book and like it.

Now the "Diary of a Submissive" can only be enjoyed by people who are truly into BDSM. It is much closer
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
English journalist Sophie Morgan recounts her journey into the world of BDSM (Bondage, Discipline, Sadism, Masochism), beginning with an American boyfriend at university to her friend-with-benefits, Thomas, and later James, a more serious partner who in the end couldn't reconcile his tender side with her needs (more on that later). She describes her childhood, seeking to assure readers that she had a happy one, a very ordinary one even, as well as the gradual build-up of thoughts and desires tha ...more
Stephanie (Stepping out of the Page)
Okay, I'll admit that I feel bad for giving a book such a low rating, but I don't do it unless I really don't like the book, and this was one of these books. I'm not a prudish person, I'm quite open and taboo subjects don't put me off, they interest and intrigue me. However, something about this book didn't feel right to me.

I went into this book with an open mind - in fact, I was excited to read it and to see what it was like. After the roaring success of Fifty Shades of Grey, I am sure that a l
Michelle
Jun 30, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprised and a little flushed...

I had just finished reading the Fifty Shades books (twice) and had read a short interview by the author with her take on the trilogy. I decided to give this book a shot. My typical book interests are not romance or erotic and for the most part I stay clear of the non-fiction sections all together, but after enjoying Fifty so much I thought this memoir would be the perfect next book to read.

I was a bit shocked at parts; not because of the context so much but by th
Ariel
No, no e ancora no. Volgare e crudo e orrendo e senza il minimo tatto. Cos'era questa? Un'autobiografia su come è riuscita a farsi scrivere insulti di ogni genere su ogni parte del corpo, oppure un manuale su come riuscire a farlo?
No, no e ancora no. Non sono pronta per questo genere di cose. Se è un rapporto consenziente mi sta bene, ma che venga descritto in questo modo.. mai più.
Evey
Apr 19, 2013 Evey rated it did not like it

This book was completely awful I couldn't manage to pass over 55% of it. It's just so gross, so... I have no words to explain myself.

I really can't understand why an intelligent, strong, independant woman would go through such things. Why humillating you that much? Why letting yourself be humillated in such awful ways? I kept reading and reading, trying to find the answer. But all I've got was the huge question mark of the main character, her sexual need and the shame and ire she felt. Then, I r
Julie Read Our Lips! Book Review Blog
{Disclaimer: I have not read Fifty Shades of Grey, so I’m not sure how or if this affects the overall outcome of this review.}

Diary of a Submissive is Sophie Morgan’s (a journalist) account of her life and how she became a submissive. The first chapter/s delve into her early life, letting you form a picture of Sophie’s roots and how she grew up.

As the story progresses, we are given a detailed account of her sexual experiences and just how she got into the BDSM world. In the beginning, her encoun
Juliet
Sep 12, 2012 Juliet rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kink
This novel was an interesting enough read, but not particularly compelling. It's written diary-style as though the narrator of the book is the author, which is an interesting plot device but would have been more compelling if the plot itself was not so farfetched. The main character - a nice girl from a nice upbringing who has no hangups whatsoever at any point about her submissive sexuality - never describes her motivations or sexual desires beyond mentioning that she liked seeing Maid Marian t ...more
Elletee
I read this book because many fan fictions purport to be BDSM stories and I was curious as to how much was from the imaginations of authors and how much was what really happens out there. I was also seeking answers to the "why?" of the pain and humiliation aspects of this lifestyle.

I found the book interesting and was surprised (and disturbed) at how much more pain and humiliation was involved than has ever been suggested in any story I have read.

I still really don't have all the answers nor do
Katrina
Aug 02, 2012 Katrina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bdsm, didn-t-finish

Why on earth did I start reading this? No offense to the author.
Bree T
Sophie Morgan is an independent woman living in England with a successful job in journalism who just happens to be a submissive. It details her story from the time she was first spanked with a hairbrush in college and found herself enjoying it to finding men interested in the same things she was but on the other side of the coin – she wanted to submit, they wanted to dominate.

This novel details her journey going from fresh-faced college student surprised when her lover introduces the hairbrush t
Drew Constance
I'M FINISHED ALRIGHT - Also pre- warning as far as I have learned this book may be a re-published version of this book: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/94...

Okay--- onwards to the review:

Thoughts/ Review:

Oh Sophie Morgan, whatever am I going to say about this book? Firstly I would like to thank Penguin Publishing Australia for supplying me a copy of Diary of a Submissive, for without it I would have probably wasted a fair bit of money. Secondly- I really need to stop reading books if they hav
Cara Sutra
I recently read the new book, Diary of a Submissive, which I was pleased to compare to the now infamous 50 Shades of Grey.

Sophie has written an autobiographical account of her exploration of her personal submissive nature, the blossoming of this inside her, her struggle to some kind of acceptance and her experiences along the way.

A true story, this book is both shocking in parts and heart warming in others. I did learn something important; no matter how I feel sometimes sexually, I am not submis
Bernadette Davies
Feb 12, 2013 Bernadette Davies rated it it was amazing
I was going to give this a thorough review, mostly because of my feelings whilst reading this book. However, after looking at the reviews briefly, I feel this has been more than done with the 2.8k+ reviews already submitted. In particular, I want to mention Natasha's review 'Natasha is a book junkie' which I thought was brilliantly done and described almost everything that I wanted to say anyway.
The difference between her 2 star rating and my 5 star is that I did not want to mark the book down
Tempo de Ler
Em Diário Secreto de Uma Mulher Sophie Morgan conta-nos como descobriu e explorou o lado da sua personalidade que clamava pela submissão sexual, apesar da vertente violenta e humilhante que invariavelmente a acompanha.
Desde bem cedo, Sophie percebeu que o desafio e as ondas de adrenalina provocadas pela dor e pela provocação verbal despertavam a sua líbido. Confusa e envergonhada com os seus sentimentos, ela própria teve dificuldade em entender e aceitar esta faceta da sua personalidade que,
Cameron Garriepy
My full review can be found at Diary of A Submissive: A Review. This is an excerpt:

(view spoiler)
Mary Elizabeth
I am not a huge fan of the D/s lifestyle or literature plot lines. To each their own, but it's never been anything I enjoyed reading about, and I could never even imagine being in that type of relationship. With that being said, I am sometimes curious about it.

Reading this was just another attempt in forcing myself to like it ... it's SO taboo, and those types of things catch my attention. I hated Fifty Shades. I disliked it as a fic and I dislike it even more as a book, so I should have know b
Julie Carson
Having read the dreaded Shades of Grey trilogy, I started this with trepidation to see if it was going to be the same literary drivel. I am pleased to say, it was not. It will never set the literary world on fire, but it was far more coherent and structurally sound. It was also quite disturbing, as it took you to places that SoG never even started to touch on. The book went some way to trying to explain why people acted in the way of Sophie, but it made surprisingly uncomfortable reading at time ...more
Ro Prufrock
ehhhhhhh. i read lots of v enthusiastic praise for the book, but my overall impression was "meh".

the characters were meh, the style, the plot, the sex.

i mean, the style was not necessarily bad, but i spotted quite some unnecessary word repetitions & also all those phrases even the tiniest budding fanfiction smut writer should recognize as ridiculous: tongues invading mouths, the heroine getting impaled on a penis, and even duelling mouths!
honestly.

also: i do strongly believe that it is someh
Kassie
Well, at least the writing was better than 50 Shades of Grey. I struggle to believe that this is a real memoir. Not because anything in it is too shocking or surprising to be believed, but because all of the characters feel cliched and bland. Sure, some of the many many many sex scenes are sexy. They should be since that's really all there is to this book. A couple of pages of non sex plot or back story stringing together the sex scenes. It just got boring after a certain point. Like watching fi ...more
CharityJ
Jan 25, 2013 CharityJ rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bio-memoirs
If you're wanting to read some serious bdsm this should do it. The writing was good, appreciated getting her backstory in the beginning; however, some of the same complaints I had with 50 I found here too. Clearly, I'm no submissive b/c I don't understand how someone who is so strong, competent, assertive in one part of her life could get off on being abused and demeaned in another. Speaking of which, her description of some of the 'punishments' seemed....unbelievable. There is no way after some ...more
Vidalia
Whether it's real, who knows? It definitely reads like a non-fiction, and though I would not be surprised to hear that some parts were embellished, it could very well be entirely truthful.

That said, this is not a romance novel. Not really. It's a journal of self-discovery and self-acceptance for sure...enlightening, yes...romantic, not so much.

If you plan to read it you should also know that she's a masochist and also gets off on humiliation, so a lot of the scenes in the book are violent and de
Yelania Nightwalker
No pude de ninguna manera con éste libro, es la cosa más aburrida que he leído en mucho tiempo...
Gwen
Mar 07, 2013 Gwen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gwen by: Alice Artemissian
Shelves: gender-issues
This book made the D/s relationship more clear 4 31 Oct 22, 2013 02:58PM
  • Red
  • The Pleasure's All Mine:  Memoir of a Professional Submissive
  • Dark Secret
  • Destined to Feel (Avalon Trilogy #2)
  • Submissive Desires
  • Bound to you
  • SM 101: A Realistic Introduction
  • The Loving Dominant
  • Conquer Me: Girl-To-Girl Wisdom About Fulfilling Your Submissive Desires
  • Sensuous Magic: A Guide for Adventurous Lovers
  • Eighty Days Blue (Eighty Days, #2)
  • Different Loving: A Complete Exploration of the World of Sexual Dominance and Submission
  • Mercy (Judgment, #2)
  • The Secret Life of a Submissive: A True Story
  • In Too Deep
  • Secret Submission (Journey to Submission, #1)
  • Topping from Below
  • The Voyeur

The Diary of a Submissive (2 books)
  • No Ordinary Love Story (The Diary of a Submissive #2)

“I decided quickly that committing crimes against grammar was a hard limit for me.” 6 likes