The Sword of Truth (The Godling Chronicles, #1)

The Sword of Truth (The Godling Chronicles #1)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  923 ratings  ·  69 reviews

Only he ca...more
Paperback, 2nd, 360 pages
Published August 10th 2012 by Mythos Press (An imprint of GMTA Publishing) (first published November 4th 2011)

The Sword of Truth by Brian D. AndersonOf Gods and Elves by Brian D. AndersonThe Awakening by A.J. DonnellyThe Fallen by A.J. DonnellyThe Snow Dargles by Mark Cusco Ailes
BEST FANTASY BOOKS FROM 'NEW' AUTHORS
1st out of 13 books — 20 voters
Keturah and Lord Death by Martine LeavittThe Dark Lord of Derkholm by Diana Wynne JonesSorcery & Cecelia by Patricia C. WredeSummers at Castle Auburn by Sharon ShinnThe Seer and the Sword by Victoria Hanley
Hidden Gems: YA-Fantasy Novels
98th out of 1,088 books — 2,768 voters

More lists with this book...

Zurlo Enrico
I couldn't finish it. I only got halfway through before realizing that I completely hated this book. Normally in a review I make a list of the pros and cons so the people interested have a panoramic of what they should expect, but in this case I can't find any pros so I'll just give you the cons:

1)Farmer boy? Really? A little imagination no? How many farmer boys do i still need to read about?

2) The mentor was really annoying. Always saying: "I'll explain later". Why is he always withdrawing know...more
Kendell Jordan
The Sword of Truth is the first book of The Godling Chronicles by Brian Anderson. This book has a riveting plot, great character development and beautifully written Fantasy characters.

The story starts out with Gewey Stedding, a boy who was orphaned at the age of 15 when his father passed. Gewey took over the family farm and after some resistance from the community, proved he was man enough to take care of the land. Harvests were impeded by the encroaching darkness that was befalling the land, b...more
Katy
The only reason this book has one star is that I couldn't give it less. I could not even get through this book, and it is one of the few I will delete off my kindle. I read through the first 3rd, and talk about info dumping. Ugh. Don't let the story unfold or anything. Just dump it all in our laps. This book was terrible.
Tiana Dalichov
What an amazing tale! After reading the reviews, I kind of expected this book to be good, but I didn't expect it to be THIS good! Anderson and his son have woven a story of suspense, fantasy, and action that kept me turning the pages eagerly!

The characters really captured me from the start. Gewey and his friends each had their own story, their own reasons for being in the group, and they strayed away from the Mary Sues and Gary Stus you see all over the place these days. And I'm kind of a little...more
S.E. Lindberg
Sep 15, 2012 S.E. Lindberg rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Young Adults
This review posts at the same time the author (Brian Anderson) tours the blog-o-sphere. His topic: CHARACTER PERSONALITIES AND HOW THEY WERE CREATED: S.E. Lindberg Blog.

“I still don’t understand,” said Gewey. “If I’m a god, then why do I seem so human?”

This young-adult novel presents the coming of age of Gewey Stedding. Young readers new to the fantasy genre will enjoy the exploits and growth of his character; these "human" readers may even question whether or not they have their own hidden pot...more
Mirrani
This is a very small bit like Lord of the Rings, but saying that doesn't really put you into the right mind of the story itself. There is a group of friends of different backgrounds going on a quest. Elves are involved and the cultures there are learning to get along again, but really this is a story on its own. It mixes that feel with mythology, fiction, and fantasy to create a unique story that is enjoyable to read. There were a few typos that were missed, where letters got dropped off of word...more
Katy
Mar 28, 2013 Katy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of epic fantasy, Chronicles of Prydain
Recommended to Katy by: Kitty Bullard
Shelves: ebook, aa-read-review

Book Info: Genre: Epic Fantasy
Reading Level: Young Adult
Recommended for: Fans of Epic Fantasy, those who enjoyed stories like the Chronicles of Prydain, stories about the fight between good and evil
Trigger Warnings: murder, violence

My Thoughts: I used to read a lot of epic fantasy, sword and sorcery, all that sort of thing, but in recent years my tastes have turned more toward urban fantasy. Still, it's fun to read one of these once in awhile.

The editing was pretty bad, honestly. Lots of the...more
Susanna Mahoney
I heard so much about this book and from the first word or sentence I was hooked as a reader, it had the excitement and suspense etched in the first paragraph about the dark knight and what he was about to face, his worst nightmare. But first he had to go over the obstacles that stood in his way. He is apprehensive but courageous, not letting fear stand in the way and the author had him jumping from column to column to conclude at a mysterious platform with stairs leading up to where? He gathers...more
Valerie Mcqueen
My review of The Godling Chronicles by Brian Anderson
and Jonathan Anderson

Rating 5*****

This book was provided free from the author in exchange for honest literary review.

A YATR review team production.

I was drawn into this book at first simply due to awesome cover art. It was so much more than what I truly expected. In the spirit of awesome teen series, this is sort of Harry Potter meets Percy Jackson.
Gewey is a teen who was orphaned before his age of consent. However, due to his ability to kee...more
Melanie
I have a love/hate relationship with fantasy novels. Once in a while I stumble upon one that will blow my mind away. This is the case with The Godling Chronicles : The Sword of Truth. I knew from the first pages that it would be my kind of fantasy read, one I don't get totally lost and overwhelmed with a different world and its own language. There's no need for a special glossary with this one!

Before going any further, I have to mention that the book is the work of a father and son collaboration...more
Sean Poindexter
I was blown away by this book. I expected it to be good, after reading the reviews and recommendations. What I didn't expect was the beginning of a series that would rival my lust for Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series. This is an extremely well done piece of writing with an inventive plot and an interesting take on what would otherwise be a relatively cliche concept: elves and humans, unlikely hero etc. The dialog is intriguing and the characters are rich. Anderson is a writer to watch.
Robert Barth
This book is outstanding, as I have read more then a few of fantasy novels in my time. This is one of my top 3 favorites. Anderson does a incredible job with the character as well as the story. The moment the second book is published I will be buying it. His son and him make an excellent team, this story was original, and the way it unfolds is fast paced and gripping till the very end and will leave anyone wanting much much more. I know I do! Great work and PLEASE keep them coming.
Edgar
Darkness comes as a new power rises in Angrääl. The Dark Knight has betrayed the Gods and stolen The Sword of Truth, trapping them in heaven. With the power of the Sword he can reshape the world and bring death to all who oppose him. Only one thing stands between the darkness and the light. Gewey Stedding. Only he has the power to stand against the oncoming storm. Only he can mend the world. But only if he can discover his power....
♥nafi~hateandbehatedon~♥ ;3 idk???
love the book! the cliff hanger was great at the end it makes me want to read the seconde book and find out what happens next! this remindes me of the book erogon! i tried these two books that are not typacly my choice and loved it ! so this proves that any body can read this book ! cause i did cant wait for 2nd book!!!!
Bill Tillman

I am truly stunned at how great a writer Brian Anderson is. This is a page turner that was very hard to put down. An easy read, and a great read don't leave your kindle without a copy.
Lilly Jean Bastian
Really great beginning, to what seems like a great series. Lots of fantastic characters, action and suspense. I look forward to reading lots more about Gewey Stedding and Lee Starfinder!
Alex
Loved it! Waiting for the next in the series.
Roxanne Kade
This has to be one of the most exciting YA Fantasy novels I've ever read.

It was well paced, action-packed and just an all round delightful read. The characters were all enjoyable and it was fun to see their interaction with each other. I particularly loved Kaylia. She kicks butt while being graceful and beautiful at the same time. I really wanted to learn as much as I could about her elven heritage.

The story revolves around a few brave souls who set out to stop and destroy the darkness that thr...more
Andy Gavin
Recently, I've noticed a lot of epic fantasy novels in the Kindle top sellers, and taking a look at the epic fantasy category list many are Indie publications. This being my favorite genre, I figured I'd give some a try.

The Godling Chronicles: The Sword of Truth (don't confuse with Terry Goodkind's series of that name)adheres to many of the classic tropes: asort of Indie The Book of Three meets The Eye of the World.Plotwise, we have a kind of Dark Lord, and we have a young guy from the country w...more
Taylor Davidson
The Godling Chronicles: The Sword of Truth, Brian D. Anderson

The Sword of Truth is the remarkable first novel of The Godling Chronicles, a high fantasy series that speaks of a ravaged world as it slowly recovers from a brutal war between elves and humans that nearly tore it apart.

It is a world in which the nation of the elves has been scattered and broken, leaving the proud race on its knees. Even as their civilisation collapsed, the domain of man expanded, pushing them further and further into...more
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
I wasn't sure what I expected when starting to read this book. Fantasy genre is a favorite of mine and always looking out for new authors that can give me my fantasy fix. I'm completely blown away by this author's first book in a series. The story isn't your typical fantasy epic yet draws you in like one of George R.R. Martin. I don't give this praise lightly either. Quite honestly I can't write my usual kind of review because I'm afraid that I'd give too much to story away and spoil someone els...more
J.L. Burger
I give this book a thumbs-up, with a warning -- this book has no ending. Read it only if you want to read the whole series.

I really liked this book, for the most part. The plot is very interesting (although extremely derivative of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series). There are some very well-timed plot twists. The characters of Gewey, Kaylia and Lee Starfinder, as well as the supporting characters of Millet and Dina and otheres, are endearing and well-developed. The writing is not beautiful --...more
Heather Alexander
The Dark Knight steals the Sword of Truth and traps the gods in heaven. He then sets out to unleash hell on everything and everyone. He will, if left unchecked, destroy the gods and enslave the world. Gewey is born of two gods and may be the only person that can stop him. Aided by half mortal, Lee, new love and elf, Kaylia and a myriad of others picked up along the way, Gewey may have a chance. But at what cost. The elves and humans have lived separate existences since a great war between the tw...more
Claire Taylor
Brian D. Anderson
The Sword of Truth
The Godling Chronicles #1

A great read, this book is well written and very descriptive. Although not all original concepts, there are enough unique twists that the reader doesn’t feel like they’ve seen it all before. An interesting mix of characters, they blend well together and show great development as the story continues.

Its fast paced, has plenty of action and will keep you gripped as they all come to terms with who they are and what they have to do to sav...more
Mitchell Lee
I really enjoyed this book thoroughly. It was a complete page turner!
My only disappointment in the entire book was the cliff hanger at the end, which makes me want to read the 2nd book even more! (Which i am sure was the point!) :)
This book reminds me of some of my favorite authors such as Ray Bradbury and Piers Anthony.
I have recommend this book to all my friends.
I wish it had been available (and it's not too late) on the Barnes and Nobles online bookstore!
I wasn't expecting to have this much f...more
Joseph Travinsky
One of the best fantasy novels I've read!
Julie Powell
A tale weaved in magic, where light and dark must fight, battling for what they believe in right.

This tale has all the ingredients of a fantasy that hooks the reader from the start, where the reader can revel in the tapestry of enchantment and ride along with the characters in anticipation.

I don't give spoilers, but will say that this book is worth reading, especially for those who enjoy lands of the imagination.
Denis Savage
This was more "see Spot run" than a story I could grab a hold of and let it take me on the magic carpet ride. The story was slow and forced with little narrative to excite and entertain. I felt like this was a book made for young adults with its lack of development. There were characters in the story that one could easily love if time was taken to explore their depth. Overall, I was disappointed.
Roderick Baxter
I enjoyed reading this book the first in the series of The Godling Chronicles. It is a voyage of discovery for our hero with the unlikely name of Gewey. He starts his journey accompanied by his mentor Leigh Starfinder and Starfinder's more than capable servant Millet as they travel on a quest that starts out as a quest to defeat the Dark Knight and his minions. Along the way they encounter Elves long time enemies of Humans. Over time they discover that they have to find a way to heal the rift be...more
Philip Smith
The first book in the series and I'm already gripped. With hints of a magic system similar to that in Sovereign of the Seven Isles.

I purchased the next book after just a few pages of reading knowing I would enjoy these books.
Simply Indie: Group Read April 2013 2 4 Apr 21, 2013 07:28AM
On sale for less than a dollar!!! 1 6 Jan 05, 2012 07:06PM
  • The Sorcerer's Ascension (The Sorcerer's Path, #1)
  • Whill of Agora (Whill of Agora, #1)
  • Thinblade (Sovereign of the Seven Isles, #1)
  • Wielder's Awakening (Wielder, #1)
  • Eye of the Moonrat (The Bowl of Souls, #1)
  • The Dragonswarm (Dragonprince Trilogy, #2)
  • Wizard Rising (The Five Kingdoms, #1)
  • Jaunten (Advent Mage Cycle, #1)
  • Elseerian (The Chronicles of Lumineia: The Second Draeken War, #1)
  • The Wand-Maker's Debate
  • Attrition: the First Act of Penance (Three Acts of Penance, #1)
  • A Feast of Dragons (The Sorcerer's Ring, #3)
  • House of Blades (The Traveler's Gate Trilogy, #1)
  • A Crucible of Souls (Sorcery Ascendant Sequence, #1)
  • The Blacksmith's Son (Mageborn, #1)
  • The Builder (The Young Ancients, #1)
Brian D. Anderson was born in 1971, and grew up in the small town of Spanish Fort, AL.. He attended Fairhope High, then later Springhill College where his love for fantasy grew into a lifelong obsession. His hobbies include chess, history, and spending time with his son.
More about Brian D. Anderson...
Of Gods and Elves (The Godling Chronicles, #2) The Shadow of Gods (The Godling Chronicles, Book #3) A Trial of Souls (The Godling Chronicles, #4) Madness of the Fallen (The Godling Chronicles, #5) The Godling Chronicles Saga (The Godling Chronicles #1-3)