Start by marking “One Last Great Thing: A Story of a Father and a Son, a Story of a Life and a Legacy” as Want to Read:

Richard Burke, known to many as “The Big Guy,” was a legend. With his friend Bevil Hogg, he founded the Trek Bicycle Corporation in 1976 and then went on to establish the company as one of the leading bicycle companies in the world. He was a man who called his son, John, his best friend. Indeed, they did many great things together: ran the Boston Marathon, followed the Tou ...more
Published November 13th 2012 by Free Press

To ask other readers questions about One Last Great Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Last Great Thing

Mary
Jun 05, 2014 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really nice tribute book. This was another Little Free Library find. There were just a few business anecdotes, but most of it was about the relationship between Dick Burke and his son John. They did a lot of swell things together. The Burke Scholars program at Marquette University provides full tuition and living expenses for the honoree, in exchange for 20 hours of community service per week. I love how John Burke describes his sister Mary as "the brains of the family". Tom read this after I ...more
Jean
Dec 20, 2013 Jean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading John's book about his dad. It was especially nice to read it because I know the Burke family, having gone to high school with John's siblings. I remember his dad as a wonderful person. A nice tribute to Mr. Burke.
Chad Olson
Dec 10, 2012 Chad Olson rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, cycling
A nice story. One that the Burke family should treasure. As an outsider, I would have loved more detail on the business or background on the father's thinking. Why did he create the community service program? When did he commit to the bike business?
Thebestdogmom
Apr 17, 2016 Thebestdogmom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very sad book, but you know that right from the beginning. I loved hearing more about the history of Trek and more about the family that started the company. I work for a Trek store and wanted to learn more about the history. I enjoyed this book and would recommend it.
Raelynn Milley
Sep 07, 2014 Raelynn Milley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, however I really wish I hadn't read the author's thank you at the end ...seems to have revealed a lot about him and not in a good way. I liked him until that point even though the content was quite rushed it felt authentic. Just my opinion.
Sean
Oct 14, 2014 Sean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly sad, but incredibly good. Great guidance to live your life, and knowledge to use to ensure that you're leaving a positive mark on the world around you...all without bringing vanity or ego into play. Highly recommend it.
Aaron Ahonen
Sad/happy story about a Father, Son relationship.
Jeremy
Aug 31, 2013 Jeremy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to read more about the beginning of Trek and what Dick did, but this book, while short, told so much more about a man who exemplified a good father. It wasn't by his own words, but through the mouth of one who mattered most as a father. . . His son.
John Burke takes us on a journey through much of the difficulty they faced in watching his father die but also shared some interesting stories about Trek and how some pivotal decisions were made.
Read this. . . You'll be glad you did.
Lori
Dec 24, 2012 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had the pleasure of working with Dick Burke for a number of years. He truly was an amazing man, brutally honest. His low key style and humility always impressed me.

John has written a lovely book as a triubute to his father. It was well written provided me great insight into the man and the legend. As great of a business leader as he was, I am now convinced that Dick was an even greater person.
Brian
Dec 26, 2012 Brian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, business
This book explores the life of Dick Burke the great innovator behind Trek Bicycles. This story is a short biography of his life building his Company,and his families legacy to the world. There are extraordinary lessons in this book for life and business, mostly all of them involve biblical principals even though Mr. Burke wasn't overtly religious.
Kate
Jan 01, 2014 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice tribute to the author's father and interesting history of Trek to me as a cyclist but not very well written. I give the book 4 stars for the story but only 2 for the quality of the writing so only gets 3 stars from me.
Hijackh
Apr 04, 2013 Hijackh rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not well written. I tired of reading "Classic Big Guy". Possibly Dick Burke was a great man, but I learned little about him, Trek, or the bicycling industry from his book.
Lisa
Jan 07, 2013 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast read about my second employer's father and some history about Trek Bicycles. Good people run this company it seems, and I like good people.
Jody Giardina
An interesting story about the bike industry.
Morgan
Morgan rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2016
Kathy
Kathy rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Anthony
Anthony rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2016
Ken
Ken rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2016
Sarah Cotton
Sarah Cotton rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Mark Kasten
Mark Kasten marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Jerry Lawson
Jerry Lawson rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2016
Teresa Banks
Teresa Banks marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Mindy Lewis
Mindy Lewis marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2015
William Alexander
William Alexander rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2015
John
John rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2015
Wes
Wes rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2015
Solomon Khumalo
Solomon Khumalo marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2015
Scott Matlock
Scott Matlock rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2015
David Corsi
David Corsi rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2015