Start by marking “The Man from Stone Creek (Stone Creek, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Man from Stone Creek (Stone Creek, #1)

The Man from Stone Creek (Stone Creek #1)

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  3,487 Ratings  ·  172 Reviews
#1 New York Times bestselling author Linda Lael Miller presents the Stone Creek story that started it all…

When trouble strikes in Haven, Arizona, Ranger Sam O'Ballivan is determined to sort it out. Badge and gun hidden, he arrives posing as the new schoolteacher, and discovers his first task: bringing the ranchers' children under control. So he starts with a call on Maddie
Published February 26th 2013 by Harlequin HQN (first published September 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Man from Stone Creek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man from Stone Creek

J.Elle
Mar 05, 2008 J.Elle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Linds
I was under the impression that his was a western romance, but I would say this is really more of a western geared towards women.

I know that doesn't sound different but I think the main difference is that the main conflict in a romance is between the couple or forces against them. In this book the conflict is basically the hero against the bad guys that come into the town.

One reason it's a little hard to get into is that the characters tend to be two dimensional. The hero is "perfect". Tough, ha
Becky ♡The Bookworm♡
This was an action packed historical western with a fantastic hero! I fell in love with Sam right away, especially over the way he handled the kids in the town of Haven. He arrived from Stone Creek to take over as the new school teacher, but the town has suspicions that there is more to the new teacher than meets the eye. A bullying incident with the school kids brings him face to face with Maddie Chancelor and the sparks begin to fly. The tension between the two kept me turning the pages and fi ...more
Sarita
Really this could be a 3.5 Star book.

I love reading turn of the century westerns. Miller did a great job creating this small western town with its daily hardships and their strong willed people built for survival. She also did a great job keeping the characters true to their personalities. (Thank you!)

I felt the novel could have been non-fiction to tell you the truth.
The main characters Sam O'Ballivan and Maddie Chancelor were so realistic. I think if I had lived in 1904 Arizona I might have me
BJ Rose
This is about a marshall going undercover as a schoolteacher in a 1903 border town that has your one rich, nasty rancher who also owns the general store that is managed by a young woman. Maddie has a younger brother who is, of course, one of the students who harassed the previous teacher that Sam replaced. I liked the way that Sam & Maddie interacted with everyone else in this small, poor town and the ways they helped them. I wasn't crazy about the way the triangle of one man/two women was r ...more
Emily
Jul 13, 2013 Emily rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Linda Lael Miller is referred to as "The Queen of Western Romance." This is not one of her best showings. Featuring far too much death and (unnecessary) destruction, and an almost chaste romance, as well as a pretty convoluted mystery subplot, The Man from Stone Creek might be worth a skip.
Sam O'Ballivan comes to Haven, AZ to pose as a schoolteacher while also tracking down a band of murderous outlaws. Maddie Chancelor runs the general store in town and is raising her rapscallion younger brothe
Mareli
Aug 22, 2015 Mareli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good but a bit boring. And left some open points. Where did the little girl go? (the one kidnapped with her mother?). I didn't find her anywhere in the book :(

But the heroine is a very strong lass! And I loved her. And besides dogs&children, a good combination!

Onto the next one!
Rebekah
This was like 17 different books stapled together and I kept reading after bedtime not because it was SO GREAT, but because I was like, "what ELSE can you throw in here, Linda Lael Miller?" Animal adoptions, child adoptions, drowning in the crick, romantic rivals, gold and train robbery and bandits, intercultural relations, WHORES WITH HEARTS OF GOLD, I'M SURE I'M LEAVING THINGS OUT. There's two dogs in this, and a guy named Rowdy. (the dogs are fine.)
Teresa
Mar 12, 2015 Teresa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Eh...

I pretty much never fall asleep while reading. If I start a book at night, I will read until I finish the book at 3 or 4 am. Up until the night before last, the only books I've ever fallen asleep on were required books for philosophy classes, oh and Great Expectations in high school. But the other night, I fell asleep on The Man from Stone Creek. I pushed through the next night, but I had to force myself to keep reading.

The characters weren't very well developed. Abigail was thrown in the
Heathy
What started out as a nice, enjoyable book turned into a long-winded bore that left me rolling my eyes and dozing off on multiple occasions.

The premise was good. I didn't even have a problem with the characters, except for the fact that there were too many (it was hard to keep up sometimes).

But the sudden love that blossomed between Maddie and Sam was a joke, considering he spent a good part of the book riding after some bad guys in Mexico. He had a group dinner with the heroine, bought some thi
3 1/2 stars
Linda Lael Miller does a wonderful job of depicting the Old West. I've read some of the McKettrick books and loved them, so I decided to pick up the Stone Creek series as well.

Sam O'Ballivan arrives in Haven, Arizona as the new school teacher. He doesn't look much like a school teacher--he's a man when most teachers are female and he carries a .45 on his hip.

Maddie Chancelor runs the local mercantile. She's the sister of the young Terran who Sam recognizes as a little troublemaker ri
Ladiibbug
Dec 15, 2008 Ladiibbug rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Romance Fans
Recommended to Ladiibbug by: Donna Brooks
#1 Stone Creek series - Historical Western Romance - Strong 5 Stars!

Superb, one of my favorite reads of 2008 ... Donna, thank you SO much for the recommend :-)

Haven, Arizona Territory - 1903

LLM writes so descriptively that I could taste the dust from the trail, hear the horses drinking thirstily from the riders' hats at a well, feel the tension at a supper attended by romantic rivals ...

Maddie runs the local mercantile to support herself and her young brother Terran. A new schoolteacher, Sam, ar
✿-Anna-✿
The book was okay, not really much too it... the story line was interesting but I think could have been written with a little more excitement, I don't know it was just lacking in something.

The main characters where likable but it was more like you like them because its written that way, there really wasn't anything to really make them stand out to be OMG I really want to get to know that person better... they were just like a cookie cutter - cut out of what main characters should be like... and
Crystal
Apr 14, 2016 Crystal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast paced. Lots of twists and turns in this gripping novel by Linda Lael Miller. Miller writes with wit and candor in this tale of a Ranger that comes to a smqall town posing as the new school master when his real mission is to track down a group of outlaws after federal gold. Set in 1903 in Arizona, this book is hard to put down,
Kari
Oct 27, 2014 Kari rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, 2014
The Man From Stone Creek was a bit underwhelming. I liked the overall storyline. Sam is undercover as a school teacher while he tracks down a group of bandits. Maddie runs the local mercantile and takes care of her brother. The attraction is there, but Sam is promised to another woman

The problem I had with the story was the lack of heat between Maddie and Sam. They don't even kiss until almost the very end of the book. When they do finally kiss, they jump right into bed together. I just wasn't
Nancy Hollmaier
The good guy wins and rides off into the sunset with the girl.
Foxfire
Sep 11, 2016 Foxfire rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF for me. Skimmed and gave up about 75% through.

I enjoyed the writing, but disliked several aspects of the story.

1. I don't particularly enjoy the set up of a feisty heroine who is attracted to the hero but denies it and tries to cover up her feelings by being stroppy to him, and a confident hero who is also instantly attracted and shows it by teasing the heroine.

2. I hate romances with betrayal. The hero is engaged to another woman, who also happens to be a much more interesting character th
Romancenesia
How they met...
Sam O'Ballivan diminta oleh sang mayor untuk mengungkap kejahatan di kota Haven dan ke sanalah pria itu pergi. Sam menyamar sebagai guru sekolah dan di hari pertama, dia sudah bertemu dengan pembuat onar, Terran Chancelor.

Kejadian bullying yang dilakukan oleh Terran inilah yang menyebabkan Sam bertemu dengan Maddie Chancelor.

and the problems begin...
Sam tidak menyangka bahwa Maddie adalah wanita yang masih muda dan memiliki semangat di balik perilakunya yang anggun. Sejak pertemua
Mahareni Sukadi
Akhirnya...nyoba baca Linda Lael Miller. Tadinya mau baca yang seri McKettrick dulu, tapi apa daya, tiap sampai di tempat rental, daku selalu lupa sama urutan seri tersebut. Yang McKettrick Heart dulu, apa Pride dulu, ato yang Luck, duuuuh...pusing pala berbie. Akhirnya milih yang Stone Creek aja, soalnya bukunya tebaaaaal.

Suka...suka...suka. Ceritanya ngalir, enak dibaca, sampai gak mau berhenti. Hubungan Sam dan Maddie biasa-biasa saja sih, gak yang bikin bergetar atau deg-degan gitu, tapi ena
Wenny Widjaja
Jun 24, 2016 Wenny Widjaja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jujur saja.., saya sempat bingung mau kasih buku ini berapa bintang. 2, 3, 4, atau bahkan 5 itu sempat tercetus dikepala saya.., yah tpi akhirnya yang standart aja, 3,5 star.

Kenapa 3,5 ? Hmm sekarang saya bingung harus menjawab dari mana.., kayaknya ini akan menjadi review terpanjang yang saya buat.

Bermula dari kedatangan Sam dikota Haven, seorang Ranger yang menyamar menjadi guru untuk memberantas komplotan perampok yang sekaligus membunuh dimana-mana bekerja sama dengan seorang ranger mexico
Kathy Martin
Aug 10, 2014 Kathy Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was another excellent Western romance from a master of the genre. Sam O'Ballivan comes to town where he takes a job as the newest school master. He is actually an Arizona Ranger looking for a gang of robbers. When he first arrives, he has to rescue the current school master from the well where his students have put him. Sam catches one of the kids and decides he has to talk to his sister about the kid's behavior.

Maddie Chancelor runs the local general store and can't believe her brother is
Megan
I really enjoyed this book. It is the first book in the Stone Creek Series. I had already read books 2-5. It was nice learning Sam and Maddie's back story since I have read about them in the following books. It was also nice to see Rowdy's character being introduced because I loved his book, A Wanted Man. I can't wait to read the last book. You can't go wrong with a book by Linda Lael Miller.

If you like this series, you should definitely read the McKettricks series too.
L. (Climbing Mt. TBR one page at a time)
2.5 stars.

Although it's billed as a romance, it reads more as a western. If author Linda Lael Miller had left it as a western, I would have been able to give it the full three stars. However, the romance was the weakest part of the story. There wasn't much of a reason for Sam and Maddie to be together other than the fact that they were the main characters so they were contractually obligated to fall in love.
Yulia Anggraini
utang ripiu. ..

g nyaka bakal suka am Miller in..cz seri yg Mckettrick gw cm selesai 1 judul n yg 2 lagi tak terselesaikaan....

kalimat2 x gampang dcerna ap adanya...tokoh2 x jg asiik...kasihaan am abigail... :(

n acara mandi violet itu bkin terharuuu...baiiik bangeet hero x jd guru...
n nasib penguasa kota itu menyedihkan...

daaan c perampok kereta apix...oraang itu ternyata....ckckckck...
Julie Morales
Jan 27, 2016 Julie Morales rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Westerns with either a little or a lot of romance. I love Louis L'Amour books because he's heavy on the Western but good with a little bit of romance thrown in, too. The Stone Creek series makes for good reading whether you like the romance or the Western; there's a decent amount of both. I've read one book in the series back before I started trying to read series in order and that one was just as good. I'll probably retread that one whenever I get to its place in the order. Linda Lael Mi ...more
Veronica
Mar 22, 2014 Veronica rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book left a bad taste in my mouth. There was so much going on and I don't think it added to the story. Too many questions, too many loose ends. It was a very captivating book but I just didn't like it in the end.
Peggy Ferrell
Jan 19, 2015 Peggy Ferrell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story is set back in horse and buggy days and concerns a Ranger posing as a school master in order to catch thieves and murderers. He happens to meet the local postmistress and falls in love. The problem is he is already betrothed to another woman and Maddie isn’t exactly ready to trust him. She knows that he is hiding a secret.

Maddie is also hiding a secret. The story involves train robbers, adultery, murders and of course romance. I don’t want to give away too much as to possibly ruin the
Dawn
Love her series, they follow along with each other and never forget the past.
Juliewheatcox.Net
This author has written many books that I have loved, but I'm sad to say this wasn't one of them. First, the romance was no more than longing glances and emotional angst for the majority of the book. There were moments when the characters' actions made no logical sense. And the two major stumbling blocks between Sam and Maddie were just written out of the story instead of being overcome. On the plus side, Sam and Maddie were both extremely kind & generous people who anyone would be fortunate ...more
garnetyuna
May 24, 2016 garnetyuna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-f, historical
I really wanted to like this one... but nope.
Was it really necessary to (view spoiler)

The culprit was pretty much clear to me, since the beginning I had suspected it was him.

(view spoiler)

In Hubert (DA2) voice: this book
  • Tall, Dark, and Texan (Whispering Mountain, #3)
  • Texas Bride (Mail-Order Brides #1)
  • Chasing the Sun (Blood Rose, #3)
  • Summer Breeze
  • Mustang Wild (Wild, #1)
  • The Loner
The daughter of a town marshal, LINDA LAEL MILLER is a #1 New York Times bestselling author of more than 100 historical and contemporary novels, most of which reflect her love of the West. The "First Lady of the West" lives outside Spokane, Washington, where her rescued horses, dogs and cats live the high life.

Published since 1983, Linda was awarded the prestigious Nora Roberts Lifetime Achievemen
More about Linda Lael Miller...

Stone Creek (6 books)
  • A Wanted Man (Stone Creek, #2)
  • The Rustler (Stone Creek, #3)
  • A Stone Creek Christmas (Stone Creek, #4)
  • The Bridegroom (Stone Creek, #5)
  • At Home In Stone Creek (Stone Creek, #6)