Start by marking “Mountain Echoes (Walker Papers, #8)” as Want to Read:
Mountain Echoes (Walker Papers, #8)

Mountain Echoes (Walker Papers #8)

4.29  ·  Rating Details ·  2,731 Ratings  ·  180 Reviews
You can never go home again.

Joanne Walker has survived an encounter with the Master at great personal cost, but now her father is missing - stolen from the timeline. She must finally return to North Carolina to find him - and to meet Aidan, the son she left behind long ago.

That would be enough for any shaman to face, but Joanne's beloved Appalachians are being torn apart
Published February 26th 2013 by Harlequin Luna (first published January 1st 2013)

Susana
This story, well, it was just perfection for me! ;)
Loved, loved it!!!!

The only sad thing about it, is that apparently the next volume will be the last one of the series. Really?? :(

How can i possibly live without Joanne's antics??? O_O

But this one, Oh MY GOD!!!

Action packed intense, riveting,(flying MUSTANGS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! AND I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT HORSES, BUT JOANNE'S "PETITE"!) emotional,(yeah, it made me cry! o.O) romantic (Morrison, YAY!!!)funny (Joanne's drives her spirit animals insa
Christal
See this review and others like it at BadassBookReviews.com!

"The Walker Papers" is series that tends to get stronger with every book and this installment is no exception. While it wasn't my favorite of the series, it did take some of the most interesting aspects of book seven, including the time travel, and made them smoother and easier to follow. Mountain Echoes is packed with action and never has a dull moment. Plus, fans of the series will love the large amount of page time devoted to Joanne
Kt
Jan 18, 2013 Kt rated it really liked it
Review originally posted on my blog: A Book Obsession..

A decade ago Joanne Walker left the reservation and never looked back. But now her father is missing and she'll have to go face her past, and the child she gave up. But facing her fears soon becomes the least of her problems as what she finds there, rocks her to the core. The mountains are crying as they are literally being torn apart by an unseen malicious force that consumes everything in its path, including her son. It will take every bit
Jan 22, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was amazing

Morrison, OMG! I want a Morrison!

Full disclosure, I received my copy of Mountain Echoes in one of the contests Catie had for readers. I also follow her blog and find her an endlessly fascinating person.

I found this series earlier on, around the second or third book and have really loved it. This being the penultimate book I've been a little scared to read it. First, what if it wasn't as good as the other stories? A silly fear, I know, as every story I've read has been wonderful, and that include
Sho
Mar 03, 2013 Sho rated it it was amazing
Wow this series just gets better and better.I just loved it.
Continuing directly from the 7th book, Joanne directly goes from her fight in Ireland straight to North Carolina. This time following her father's heritage and her own past. It has time traveling, zombies, flying cars, and ancestor sprits... If you don't know the series, people are just going to scratch their head with that description. And for the first time I am going to put this into my "romance shelf"!

Although the series is publishe
Jessie Potts
Feb 12, 2013 Jessie Potts rated it it was amazing
What it's about: This is the eighth book in the Walker Papers series and still Joanne is as amazing as ever. In Mountain Echoes, Joanne's father is missing, she's still recovering, and she must meet the son she left behind. She will need her wits and strength to figure out how to defeat the latest evil creeping across her world.

Why you should read it: What I love about this series is that I really liked Joanne's character in the earlier books, but C.E. Murphy has grown and evolved Joanne into so
Harlequin Books
Walker Papers, book 8
"Shaman Joanne Walker can't seem to catch a break in the penultimate chapter of Murphy's outstanding and long-running series. Intially reluctant to draw on her shamanic gifts, Joanne has come a very long way over the course of the series, and her battles against the Master are coming to a head. Her past and present collide in this emotionally charged novel that illustrates Joanne's unique evolution." RT Book Reviews, rated 4 1/2 stars.

Wow, I loved this book and the new depth
Fangs for the Fantasy
Joanne has barely had time to process what happened in Ireland when she receives news her father is missing. She quickly returns to North Carolina, to a place she hasn’t been since a child, to discover not only is her father missing, but so is the man who fathered her child.

He Master is there, seeking to tap into the devastating pain and loss suffered by the Native Americans to power evil beyond imagining; unless they can stop it.

But also there are the people Joanne long left behind, not all of
Hali Sowle
This is the penultimate book in the Joanie Walker series, and while the series has had its had its ups and downs I will be sad not to have any more to look forward to. The last book had Joanne in Britain, fighting "The Master" the evil being/force that has been behind all of the chaos in Joanne's life, and although it cost her the soul of her mother, that evil was damaged, badly, and Joanne has finally learned to combine her warrior side and her shamanistic side. Not only that but she's met and ...more
Veronica
Jan 28, 2013 Veronica rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Another highly enjoyable installment in this series. I am thrilled that Joanne is back stateside though I still can't wait until she makes it back home to Seattle. I just miss seeing the entire gang. But first things first and that means a stop off in North Carolina to attend to personal matters both old and new. The action kept moving at a good pace and there seemed to be less moving around in the spiritual realm, which I really liked. It bears repeating that, for me, a little spiritual realm g ...more
Starfire
Aug 01, 2013 Starfire rated it it was amazing
I thought this was the last of the Walker Paper instalments, but it looks like there's still one more to go - YAY! I totally was not ready to leave the world of Jo, Gary, Morrison and the general Urban Shamanverse.

This instalment had Jo going back to her Cherokee roots (physically, spiritually and geographically) and at last she started directly fighting back against the Big Bad that's been gradually appearing over the past 7 books.

Yet again, I loved spending time with these characters. And I lo
Kirsty Bassett
Sep 05, 2013 Kirsty Bassett rated it it was amazing
My only issue with this series is how much a short story/novella keeps getting referenced. Its such a key part of the story that when it was first mentioned I actually thought I had missed a book. If the short story was so important that is is constantly being referenced and contributing to the series it should be a novel instead!

Very annoying but I managed to ignore that.

Anyways this book was awesome, I literally cannot believe the stuff murphy comes up with. I mean a flying car?! How totally
Ellese
Feb 28, 2013 Ellese rated it it was amazing
Wow, so much happened in this book it felt like 900 pages. I must say that Murphy has a very good imagination. Great world building and wonderfully fleshed out characters. Although, I would like to see Joanne with a little less self-loathing and a little more confidence, however it is kind of nice for her to still have flaws and be a working character that can save the world, literally. I am also really sad to see that the next book will be the last!!! :'(

I was definitely on an emotional rollerc
Paula Patience
Mar 14, 2013 Paula Patience rated it it was amazing
First off, if you're just diving into the series, for God's sake, don't start here! LOL You will miss out on the hugely satisfying closing arc of this story as we approach the end of our shaman's journey (supposedly just one more book to go!). For those of you who have been following along, the winding down of Joanne's story includes the tying up of some loose ends, such as her ex-boss Michael Morrison. And that's pretty much all I can say without requiring spoiler wings.

Overall, loved the book.
Darcy
May 29, 2012 Darcy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book, uf, magic, 2013
With this book there comes so many payoffs that fans of the series have been waiting for and so many fantastical things happen that it is hard to do justice to a review without spoiling things. I plan on getting the audio when it is released and re-reading the book right away, because really this was a fun one to read.

What I really liked about this one is how Joanne was able to look back at her time in Qualla with different eyes and make peace with it, the person she was and the person she is. I
Jenni Ebba
Mar 25, 2013 Jenni Ebba rated it really liked it
Wow, I absolutely love Murphy's ability to tell an awesome story. I don't know where to start with this one. I guess I should start with saying this is an ongoing series, well second to last in a long series anyways. Mountain Echoes takes off right where the previous one ended, so if you have yet to read this wonderful UF series~what are you waiting for?
Joanne Walker AKA Siobhan Walkingstick is a born shaman who went through a lot in the past year. She's half Irish and half Native American- and
Betsy
Feb 28, 2013 Betsy rated it really liked it
Shelves: magic, urban-fantasy
This was my absolute favorite of the Walker Papers. I have always truly enjoyed the characters. C.E. Murphy does an extraordinary jobs of creating compassionate, intelligent characters who seem quite ordinary and believable. This is surprising given how extraordinary and, at times, unbelievable the magic and action can be. It has been a long road for me because shamanism does not grab me and I have really hard time enjoying Joanne's spirit animals, cryptic messages, swirling colors and the like. ...more
Genine Tyson
Mar 28, 2013 Genine Tyson rated it it was amazing
The only thing I didn't like about this book is that it's the beginning of the end.

In Mountain Echoes Joanne goes home to Qualla to find her father. While there she confronts her past and embraces her future. I think this story was a clever way to fill in Jo's back story and I think the timing was good. Joanne has matured as she has grown into her shaman powers and I don't think she would have had the insight to integrate what she learned while back home had this taken place in an earlier book.

T
Barbara ★
Joanne Walker, gets a frantic call from Sara (an old school friend who is no longer a friend) and flies straight from Ireland to North Carolina to find her missing father. As it turns out, he isn't the only one missing. Big trouble has found the Qalla reservation and is sucking the power right out of the land. Joanne finally meets her 12 year old son, who she gave up for adoption at birth and her interactions with him are amazing and heart-breaking. After many adventures (7 to be exact), Joanne ...more
Malette Poole
May 23, 2013 Malette Poole rated it it was amazing
The Walker Papers will only disappoint when they end with Shaman Rises. I hope C. E. will dip into the world she has created once in a while to entertain us.

Joanne hears her father his missing and heads back to the Qualla, where she has not been since she was a teen. So much has been told and hinted about, now much is resolved. Not neat, tied with a bow resolved but processed and dealt with resolved, much like real life would be if we but would...

A malevolence has aimed itself at her and hers. S
Kim
May 09, 2013 Kim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: has-read
After the first 97 pages I enjoyed this book immensely. Thank You Ms. Murphy for bringing back Morrison. He and Joanne made the book for me. It was also nice to see the other part of heritage and her father. It was interesting in seeing Joanne's reaction to Aidan and vice versa.

Of course this book is left with the starting point of the next book, but a lot of emotions were wrapped up nicely in this book.

Joanne is finally dealing with her feelings of abandonment as a child, her choice to have sex
Jenna
Mar 24, 2013 Jenna rated it it was amazing
I love the Walker Papers series and this was one of the best. Joanne is back in NC after her father disappears and discovers that something supernatural is the culprit.

It was interesting to see her face her demons - both in her mind and those at the Qualla. She came to terms with her feelings for her father, her son, and her friends that she left behind. And Morrison was there the whole time which made it even more cathartic. I was happy to see Jo lean on him and it makes you think that they act
Gail
I've sometimes found Murphy's shaman stories a little hard to follow, especially when she gets all mystical. This is not one of them. It was clear to me from beginning to end and thoroughly enjoyable. Good Read.
Christianne Swearson
Mar 26, 2013 Christianne Swearson rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is a really good urban fantasy series. The main character, Joanne (Walkingstick) Walker is enjoyable as an alienated emerging half-Irish/half-Native american shaman. Definitely start at the beginning though, rather than here, to see the arc of her difficult growth as a shaman. Fun stuff!
Suz
May 19, 2016 Suz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy, audio
This one was excellent except for the end, but I'm not going to count off because I can move right into the next one. I would have complained if I'd had to wait for the next book.

Kathy Davie
Aug 13, 2014 Kathy Davie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Eighth in the Walker Papers urban fantasy series about a former Seattle cop who has been learning the ropes as a mage/shaman and battling Irish goddesses — some of whom are family!

My Take
Whoa…! It's gotta be old home week for Joanne these days. In Raven Calls , 7, it was a family reunion with her mom's side of the family. This time around, we're finding out more about Dad and his background. One that Joanne comes to regret for all her lost opportunities as she learns the truth behind their noma
Brianna
Mar 14, 2013 Brianna rated it it was amazing
See more reviews at Brianna's Book Buzz!

June 9, 2013

**Some Spoilers**

This is one of the best fantasy series that I have read. It may be one of my favorites. What’s more the Walker Papers gets better and better as each new book is released. So, be sure to not start with this book ‘cause you’ll totally be lost, instead begin with Urban Shaman .

The eighth book in the series, Mountain Echoes , follows Joanne’s battle against the Master in her hometown of Cherokee. The Master is basically Joanne’s
Jay
This will be a little choppy as I'm going to keep to some generalities. Before I start though, I just want to say that I think C.E. Murphy is a wonderful writer. Her imagination and ability to paint pictures for her audience...wow! She's a great talent. It is most likely that my inability to love these books has more to do with my preferences as a reader than anything else.

Clearly, since I read all the way to book 8, I like the Walker Papers...enough. The problem for me wasn't the story line. I
The Flooze
That was a pretty shocking ending.

Strike that. It was a pretty shocking everything.

It's been a while since I last immersed myself in Joanne's world, but one thing still holds true: Murphy's characters are so well-drawn that almost every detail came flooding back with ease. Joanne just leaps off the page. Her enthusiasm is infectious, as is her drive to see the world set to rights. She believes so strongly in the idea of the Good Guys succeeding eventually. It's an uplifting theme - one that's de
Diane
Apr 03, 2013 Diane rated it it was amazing
Mountain Echos, the latest Walker Papers novel, is another great installment in a fantastic series. At the end of the last book Joanne was called to the only place she called home as a child, North Carolina, because her father has gone missing. She was called in by Sara, once her childhood friend but now her nemesis (Sara married the guy who got Joanne pregnant when she was a teenager and then ran away like a coward, a sure fire way to result in lingering tension!). One of Joanne’s twins died at ...more
Walker Papers: Mountain Echoes 6 36 Mar 03, 2013 11:29PM
  • Chimes at Midnight (October Daye, #7)
  • Winter Moon
  • Heart of Briar (The Portals #1)
  • Death's Rival (Jane Yellowrock, #5)
  • Slashback (Cal Leandros, #8)
  • Magic on the Line (Allie Beckstrom, #7)
  • Wild Hunt (Evie Scelan, #2)
  • Binding the Shadows (Arcadia Bell, #3)
  • Agave Kiss (Corine Solomon, #5)
  • Seawitch (Greywalker, #7)
  • Crave the Darkness (Shaede Assassin, #3)
C.E. Murphy is a writer of fantasy novels and short stories. She also writes "action-adventure romance" novels under the pseudonym Cate Dermody, which was her grandmother's maiden name.
More about C.E. Murphy...

Walker Papers (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Urban Shaman  (Walker Papers, #1)
  • A Garrison Report: Magic Hath An Element
  • Thunderbird Falls  (Walker Papers, #2)
  • Coyote Dreams (Walker Papers, #3)
  • Rabbit Tricks (Walker Papers #3.5)
  • Walking Dead (Walker Papers, #4)
  • Demon Hunts (Walker Papers, #5)
  • Spirit Dances (Walker Papers, #6)
  • Forgotten but by a Few
  • Raven Calls (Walker Papers, #7)

“He rallied a little. "Who are you? What do you know about this? Disease control is our job, not yours. Who are you?"

"My name," I said, mostly uner my breath, "is Siobhan Grainne MacNamarra Walkingstick, and I'm the answer to all your prayers.”
3 likes
“I can tell the difference between a Corvette and a Mustang. It was the woman sitting on the hood that got me flustered.” 0 likes