Start by marking “Heart of Texas Volume 1: Lonesome Cowboy/Texas Two-Step” as Want to Read:
Heart of Texas Volume 1: Lonesome Cowboy/Texas Two-Step

Heart of Texas Volume 1: Lonesome Cowboy/Texas Two-Step (Heart of Texas #1-2)

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  2,170 Ratings  ·  105 Reviews
Welcome to the town of Promise, deep in the heart of Texas!

Promise, a ranching community in the Hill Country, is a place with a mysterious past and more than its share of secrets. It's also a place where family and friendship matter....

LONESOME COWBOY

Savannah Weston lives quietly on the family ranch with her brother, Grady. Until she encounters a stranger named Laredo S
Published February 26th 2013 by Harlequin MIRA (first published February 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Heart of Texas Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heart of Texas Volume 1

Kym McNabney
May 23, 2012 Kym McNabney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As usual, Debbie Macomber puts out yet another great story...or should I say two. I'd originally run across another from the, Heart of Texas, series, not realizing it was only one of six. After reading, Caroline's Child, I was hooked. Knew I had to get the others.

Both Lonesome Cowboy, and Texas Two-Step were great. I finished both in only a matter of a couple of days. I love the way the cast of characters are woven throughout each book. It really builds you up to move right into the next charact
Sheila
Jun 16, 2010 Sheila rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cute little book where the ‘main’ couple meet and fall in love over the course of a week and then live happily ever after, until book two where a new couple fall in love over the course of two weeks and live happily ever after. At first I thought this series might be a little too romantic and sappy for me, but apparently I’m a romantic and sappy kind of girl because I wasn’t even finished with “Lonesome Cowboy” before I went and picked up Volume Two. I love the town, I love the characters, and ...more
Debbie
May 12, 2015 Debbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heart of Texas series has three novels, with a total of six separate stories. The setting of contemporary Texas is a fun spin for those of us who live in the Midwest. The plot is straightforward, with many unlikely couples getting married. Lots of dialogue and great characters. Perfect for summer time reading.
Paula-O
Mar 12, 2016 Paula-O rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Debbie Macomber writes series "Heart of Texas"
I have started with the first book having two stories Lonesome Cowboy and Texas Two-Step in it. I loved meeting so many of the folks living in Promise Texas and how it began after moving out of a place called "Bitter End" which is a ghost town now.
The Weston family lost their parents and one of the boys stole monies left by them for the family and left town -not to be heard of again for 6 years. Grady and Savannah are devastated and left to pick up
Katie Johnson
Stacey
Mar 01, 2010 Stacey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My goodness this was a super quick read. This is two books in one and I read it in 2, maybe 3 days. Lovely romance stories; although I wouldn't call it romance so much as personal relationships. Quoting someone else on goodreads, the stories are set in the town of Promise, Texas and each story in the series revolves around the relationship of one couple, all of which have a happy endings after going through some type of difficulty. Other characters from Promise are introduced so that when you re ...more
Mareli
Jan 10, 2017 Mareli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the first two stories of this series are the imprinting for the whole series. There is this little Texas town called Promise where there is a lot of single men and women (or so it seems ;) ).

There is a very interesting background story on a abandoned town, founded previously by a lot of ancestors of Promise inhabitants but it has a strange feeling and nobody wants to visit it.
Glenda L
Jun 25, 2010 Glenda L rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is where it all started ... Promise, Texas. Debbie Macomber is always a breath of fresh air. Her books are all about love, family and friends ... with a few surprises thrown in.
Annette
A little Mills and Boonish but nevertheless I enjoyed the story.
Marianne
Feb 26, 2012 Marianne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lonesome Cowboy is the first of the Heart of Texas series by Debbie Macomber. Since her parents were killed six years ago, Savannah Weston has done all she can to help her brother Grady in working to keep the Yellow Rose, the Weston family ranch, after their younger brother Richard stole their inheritance. Her one joy, especially as she has managed to turn a profit on it, is her cultivation of antique roses. When, against Grady’s wishes, Savannah employs wrangler Laredo Smith to help with her ro ...more
Kshydog
Oct 21, 2013 Kshydog rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lonesome Cowboy : Loved the character Savannah who was able to just live her life even with a cranky brother Grady. Enjoyed her meeting and getting to know Laredo who maintained decent values while also being independent. Glad that there was humor in the story while showing town people caring for each other. Could not stand her brother Richard and how he could so manipulate Savannah - she lost my respect at that point.

Texas Two-Step : Glad that there was a little bit about Savannah and her now h
Judy Wise
Aug 01, 2011 Judy Wise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Starting the Heart of Texas series. This book contains the first two books. Lonesome Cowboy and Texas Two-Step.

I enjoyed them very much. I do not usually read Debbie Macomber books but this series sounded interesting. The series is about a small town in Texas and its people. Each book discribes their beginnings. I have the feeling that a little more interesting things will happen in further books as there is a small ghost town that only a few people know how to find. Those that have been there r
Debbie
Sep 03, 2014 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lonesome Cowboy: is set in Promise Texas where Savannah lives on the family ranch that was left to her and her brother Grady.They're brother Richard stole part of they're inheritance when they're parents died so they talk to him. She hires a stranger who is a wrangler to work for her, who is really going to change her life.

Texas Two-Step: After her father's death Ellie takes over the feed store. Her friends gather round her to offer her support. One of her friends is Glen Patterson who she actua
Jan Mcleod
I have read numerous books by Ms. Macomber, stand alones and series, and have been thoroughly delighted with every aspect of them. However, this book seems to be dry and repetitive, and entertains a very unsavory character.
Matter of fact, I could not quite finish the first story in this volume, and I doubt that I will read the second one either. Definitely NOT typical of Ms. Macomber!!!
Aug, 13, 2014. I finally got through the second novel in this book, Texas Two-Step, although it took awhile. C
Michelle Molinari
This is the combination (re-print) of two novels in the Hart of Texas saga (Lonesome Cowboy and Texas Two-Step). I love all these characters and I thoroughly enjoy how Macomber shifts POV so the readers get full disclosure on every character. In these two novels we get two love stories from two different couples. Instead of following just one character through-out the eight books, the readers gets to see everyone’s lives. Each book had two central characters with the cast of supporting character ...more
ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ
Not as good as her other series so far, but I'm still reading it. I'm almost more intrigued by the mystery surrounding the ghost town of Bitter End that creeps into each story more so than the romances that are evolving in each book. Maybe because the romances are so obvious. For instance, after reading the first book, I already know which couple will get together in the third book. I'm hoping by the end of all 8 books in the series (originally 6, but she revisted the series) that the mystery su ...more
Pam
Feb 19, 2008 Pam rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
I picked this one up at a local bookstore hoping for a change of pace with the western. Although it's rated highly by others, I just could not enjoy the characters and did not finish the book. This is a "2 books in one" type printing and I was able to make it through the first book, "Lonesome Cowboy". I found the female lead character to be entirely too naive, too sweet and too unbelievable. The male leads were okay, but were not strong enough to offset the female. Unfortunately, I just couldn't ...more
Diane Wachter
PB-B @ 2007, 11/09. 2 Stories: Lonesome Cowboy @ 1998. Savannah Weston lives quietly on the family ranch with brother Grady, until a stranger named Laredo Smith comes along. Very Good. Texas Two-Step @ 1998. After her father's death, Ellie Frasier takes over the feed store in Promise. Still mourning, she turns to her friends for comfort. Now her long-standing friendship with Glen Patterson seems to be turning into something else. Same characters in each story. Very good.
Kathy
Jul 13, 2013 Kathy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ok. I went a little too far in the chick lit department and ended up with this one from Walmart. I grabbed it on a whim since I wanted something to read while in the dentist's office. Ugh. I enjoy a good story, but wasn't very impressed with this one. The writing was mediocre and the characters a little over the top. It was very Harloquin romance, which is not really my style. I prefer stories with strong characters and good writing. This one was so-so.
TG
Mar 08, 2014 TG rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book really boring. I read Debbie Macomber's Cedar Cove series and absolutely loved it. I just couldn't get into the characters of this book and nothing happened at all. I think that I'll stick with Kristan Higgins and Jill Shalvis. Their books always have a lot of romance, passion, and humor.
Cheryl
Jun 25, 2008 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In my bathroom....have been reading it on and off for a year or so. It took me a long time to "get into" this book because it was kind of "too cheesy" and "sweet". But, after I actually set down and began reading it (not just in the bathroom occasionally), I actually really got into the characters and ended up buying the other subsequent books in the series! Promise TX is a dream!
Rebekah
May 05, 2013 Rebekah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up
So unredeemably terrible that I gave up before 50 pages. She's too dumb and a doormat and I have no reason to care about what happens with her; her brother is one-dimensionally awful and controlling; the love interest MIGHT be interesting but he wasn't immediately and everyone else is too dumb and/or terrible to overcome it. GOODBYE
Crystal
Aug 11, 2008 Crystal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For some reason during the summer, I like to read cheesy romance novels. I think it's because they are quick and light reading. I usually save the deep stuff for the cold weather months. I really liked this series. They are good clean romance novels that actually have kept me interested and wanting more.
Carol
HEART OF TEXAS VOLUME ONE is a combination of two books written by Debbie Macomber: LONESOME COWBOY and TEXAS TWO-STEP. Both books are set in Promise, Texas which is a community of ranchers. Also, this is a series of romantic fiction novels. The stories are touching, and the characters are quite personable. Themes of family, friendship, and love are artfully woven into each book.
Hayley
Sep 09, 2008 Hayley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
Debbie Macomber always has great books. I started at the 6th book of the Cedar Grove series, so I am going to go back and start from the first one. This one didn't seem was a fast read but didn't seem to have a great ending. It was still good though and I would recommend Debbie Macomber books to anyone that enjoys reading fiction!
Jana Kerr
Dec 18, 2014 Jana Kerr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I usually say that I'm not fond of Romance books. But, I bought a couple of the books in the Heart of Texas series at great discount on Audible.com, and found that I can't seem to put these down. I like that the same characters are followed from book to book. They are pretty predictable, but I have enjoyed them. Not great literature, but a very good listen.
Carrie
Jan 06, 2010 Carrie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, it's not great literature, but it's a sweet book in the "nice things happen to nice people" genre. I like the premise of this author's series of books: each series takes place in a small town somewhere (this one in the made up town of Promise, Texas) and each book focuses on a different couple in the town.
Debbie Macomber can always be counted on for a reliable, nice book.
Debra McEathron
Mar 21, 2016 Debra McEathron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This a 2 in 1 book. It tells the story of two couples and introduces family members that will be featured in the next 2 books. The stories take place in Promise, Texas. Of course there is a villian or bad boy that causes trouble for the one family and the town.
Kari
Aug 21, 2014 Kari rated it it was ok
I could not get into the first story. The second story was cute but mediocre. Not what I have come to expect of Debbie Macomber. This is the only book I have read of hers and really did not care for.
Judy"Intergalactic Bookworm"
Debbie Macomber is my favorite romance author mainly because of the way she writes the "sex scenes", as they are not too graphic. If I can find other authors that write those scenes like Debbie does, please let me know. Thanks! Judy
  • Home at Rose Cottage: Three Down the Aisle\What's Cooking? (Rose Cottage Sisters #1-2)
  • Sisters Found (Hawk's Way, #13)
  • McKettrick's Luck (McKettricks, #6)
  • Welcome to Harmony (Harmony #1)
  • Entscheidung mit Folgen (Maya und Domenico, #3)
  • Texas Wildflower
  • Christmas Kisses (Mackenzie Family, #4 & Those Manning Men, #5)
Debbie Macomber is a #1 New York Times bestselling author and one of today’s most popular writers with more than 200 million copies of her books in print worldwide. In her novels, Macomber brings to life compelling relationships that embrace family and enduring friendships, uplifting her readers with stories of connection and hope. Macomber’s novels have spent over 990 weeks on the New York Times ...more
More about Debbie Macomber...

Heart of Texas (8 books)
  • Lonesome Cowboy (Heart of Texas #1)
  • Texas Two-Step (Heart of Texas #2)
  • Caroline's Child (Heart of Texas #3)
  • Dr. Texas (Heart of Texas #4)
  • Nell's Cowboy (Heart of Texas #5)
  • Lone Star Baby (Heart of Texas #6)
  • Promise, Texas (Heart of Texas #7)
  • Return to Promise (Heart of Texas #8)