The Peculiar Pets of Miss Pleasance (Blud, #1.6)

The Peculiar Pets of Miss Pleasance (Blud #1.6)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  210 ratings  ·  60 reviews
A lady with a penchant for pets meets a sexy fireman in this magical and saucy steampunk eNovella from the author of Wicked as They Come.

In a world ruled by blood, live pets are rare and kindness rarer still. London pet shop owner Frannie Pleasance has a mysterious way with animals and keeps her charges (and heart) locked in a veritable Eden. She thinks Casper Sterling is...more
Published April 1st 2013 by Pocket Star

Frost Burned by Patricia BriggsTwice Tempted by Jeaniene FrostEver After by Kim HarrisonHeart of Obsidian by Nalini SinghHouse Rules by Chloe Neill
2013 Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy (January - June)
102nd out of 290 books — 1,109 voters
Soulless by Gail CarrigerThe Iron Duke by Meljean BrookClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareChangeless by Gail CarrigerBlameless by Gail Carriger
Steampunk/Romance
116th out of 222 books — 672 voters

More lists with this book...

Jill

Frannie Pleasance owns the pet shop Needful Creatures. Used to rescuing and caring for animals, she offers a room to Casper Sterling whom she finds on the streets, hungover and slightly beaten. When Frannie's home above the pet shop catches fire in suspicious circumstances, Thom Maccallan a firefighter with the Metropolitan Fire Brigade comes to her rescue.

This is yet another delightful short story based in Sangland. It is probably best to read book #1 the full-length novel Wicked as They Come t...more
✽ Sharon is an emotional book junkie ✽
(Note: If you haven't read the first book, Wicked As They Come, there will be things you won't understand in this review. Please feel free to check out the reviews for that book to help you.)

I really wasn't expecting an actual story about pets but that's exactly what you get with this novella...well, sort of. Frannie has inherited her family's pet store and has continued to make it thrive by selling actual animals instead of clockworks. One morning she comes across Casper Sterling, who appears t...more
Beth
Pet shop owner, Frannie Pleasance, finds a man unconscious on the streets of London. This man resembles her brother and she takes him in penniless as a boarder. It just so happens that her new boarder is Casper, a musical maestro.

Strange and deadly situations start occurring the very first night Casper stays at Frannie’s home. One occurance is a fire bringing a kilt wearing Scottish fireman named Thom Maccallan into Frannie and Casper’s lives.

Who is the target of these deadly attacks? Who can...more
Stephanie
ORIGINAL POST AT Fangs, Wands and Fairy Dust

Beware Blud Kittens! The Peculiar Pets of Miss Pleasance

THE PECULIAR PETS OF MISS PLEASANCE
Delilah S. Dawson
Simon and Schuster/Pocket Star
April 2013
E-Book - Novella
Provided by NetGalley loan of an E-ARC. No remuneration exchanged. Except as noted all opinions herein are my own.

This is a really early review but, I really love Deliliah's books and I was in the mood for something short.

This e-novella follows Casper to London as he begins to rise to star
Irena
3.5
This is much better than Madam Morpho's story. In a hundred or so pages the author actually managed to tell a very good story. It slowly moves from one point to another, revealing bit by bit. I liked it.
Frannie finds Casper lying in the street, drunk and unconscious. Since she sort of collects strays, she takes him home. That same night a fire breaks out in her room and soon it becomes clear that someone is trying to either kill her or at least harm her.
The fire had one good consequence thou...more
Katie_la_geek
I really enjoy Delilah S Dawson’s Blud series; I think it is entertaining and well written. So far she has not created a character I dislike and that didn’t change after reading The Peculiar Pets of Miss Pleasance.

Frannie is a great lead character; she is strong, kind and likeable from beginning to end. She has no problem standing up for herself which I also liked. I was in love with Scottish fireman Thom the moment he appeared. He is completely devastating, charming, tough and brave with a kind...more
Katie(babs)
Cute short about a pet shop owner, the mysterious, drunken musician she saves and the burly, kilt wearing fireman (he has a brogue, be still me hear) who saves her after someone sets her shop on fire. Love this world, the language, the animals and the hot sex in this novella.

Fans of Delilah will want to read this one.
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: This story has steampunk, unusual animals, and handsome men fighting for the love of one woman. On top of that, someone wants to end said woman’s life before she can find her happily-ever-after.

Opening Sentence: There was nothing unusual about finding a dead man face down in the London gutter.

The Review:

I really liked this book. I’m actually reading this series backwards by accident, but I am just in love with Delilah S. Dawson’s Blud serie...more
Lisa {Silverlight} {Paranormal/Urban Fantasy Reviews}
No matter what the circumstances, one thing is for certain,
Delilah Dawson delivers once again in the next novella of the Blud series.

In this next installment to the Blud world, we as readers get another introduction to Casper Sterling. Casper made a brief, but vital introduction in the first book, Wicked As They Come, and as we gear up with excitement, over his soon to be released book, Wicked As She Wants, we get a brief look at his life in Paris as a famous musician, and the unlikely heroin wh...more
Frishawn Rasheed
Frannie Pleasance's heart for all things stray has her caring for more than just the birds, kittens, and puppies that she takes into her shop. When she finds Casper, sick and alone in the road, and wearing a face so such like that of her dead brother Bertrem. She knows that she must do her best to help him...but at what price?
Readers will be taken with this story from the start. Frannie is a delightful character with a sweet heart and a quiet life in her pet shop.
That quiet is quickly shattered...more
Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines)
* * * 4.5 Stars * * *

The Peculiar Pets of Miss Pleasance was everything that Blud fans have come to expect from this series. It's a story that immediately sucks you in with its interesting characters, original world building, and sweet romance that leads to smokin' hot sex. And this time, instead of a gypsy bludman in a top hat or a mysterious mechanist, we're treated to an animal-loving fireman in a kilt.

The story features a delightful woman named Frannie Pleasance who lives a sheltered life t...more
Laura *Little Read Riding Hood*
I've said it before and I will say it again: I love Sang. The world Dawson has created is so complex, with many many layers, and each time I go there, it's like visiting a favorite vacation spot.

A vacation spot where even the rats can kill you, because they are bludrats. There are also bludmen, bludbunnies (which were certainly missed in this novella, but as it takes place in Sang's London it makes sense), blud ... well, pretty much any mammal has a blud equivalent. And what makes this short sto...more
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)

THE PECULIAR PETS OF MISS PLEASANCE is another great example of the talent Ms. Dawson has. Freakishly good! We are introduced to Frannie Pleasance, owner and shopkeeper of a pet store in times when everyone has clockworks instead. She is that ray of hope that has sort of dimmed because of the world she lives in but she still holds a piece of that with her.

She rescues Casper, sort of, off the London streets and offers him to rent her brothers’ room. He reminds her of her dead brother, w...more
Ericka Axelsson
Getting this much backstory in the characters of a novella is something most authors can't pull off. But in this wonderful story we are treated to rich characters whose full lives are reveled to us without hitting us over the head with details, more in the engaging way you learn about a friend through conversation. That said this tale is far more than backstory, it is an adventure in the dangerous world of Sang where we at first think we are following Casper, a character from a the first Blud No...more
Brooklynn N.
So, I'm a big fan of Delilah S. Dawson. I love her steampunk vampire romances, and this one was no different, although it was less steampunk-ish. It was shorter, of course, being a novella, but I wish it could have been longer. I would have loved to see more of Frannie`s and Thom`s romance blossom more, I guess I have to be satisfied with what I got.

I like Frannie. Shes sassy and kind all in one package. Although I was confused throughout most of the book on why shes kinds of skittish and such,...more
Melindeeloo
I read this story when it first came out and I very much enjoyed the little romance between pet shop owner Fannie and the kilt wearing fireman (brogue, kilt, fireman, sigh...) but it was very interesting to look back through it after reading Casper's book, Wicked as She Wants, because there were a lot of subtle hints as to what was going on with him in this story and a very nice letter to Fannie at the end to let us know that he's more than the drunk he seems here at heart. So fun on it's own -...more
Carien
This is a delightful read.

I was a bit worried when the story started with Frannie meeting Casper, but luckily soon Thom enters the stage and things started to heat up. Frannie and Thom really fit as a couple and it was lovely to read how Thom tried to win Frannie's heart.

Although there's the threat of someone being after Frannie and this does lead to some suspenseful moments, this was a light story, leaning more to sweet romance than to mystery and suspense.

For those unfamiliar with Dawson's wor...more
Stormi (Books, Movies, Reviews. Oh my!)
I was not aware of the Blud series when I decided to check this book out. I don't think it takes away from the story much except I was a bit curious about what a Blud was, but it didn't really hinder this story. It does make me curious enough to actually want to check out the series.

Frannie is a pet shop owner in a time when live pets are a rarity. She grew up in a pet shop and knows all her fathers secrets on how to have a successful shop. One day she sees a man lying on the ground and is surpr...more
Sasha
What a refreshing change to encounter so many unbludded animals in Sang!
Frannie Pleasance is the stoic but lonely proprietress of her late father's pet shop. Enter Casper, the drunken Maestro, and all of that changes.

Like several other reviewers, I was very concerned to see Casper show up in Frannie's way. Any fan of Sang knows that his destiny lies elsewhere. I breathed a sigh of relief when the dashing fireman, Thom shows up to save her home and business from burning to the ground.

I gave thi...more
Melissa Mason
Frannie Pleasance, is a pet shop owner that sells rare pets from her home in London. The book is set in Sang, which is a world full of blood seeking creatures. When she meets an unconscious drunkard in an alleyway she comes to his rescue before the bludrats can get him. This is where Casper Sterling enters the picture. Things quickly begin to happen in Frannie's life; like a not so accidental fire in her bedroom and several other dangerous events. A firefighter named Thom Maccallan comes to Fran...more
She-Wolf Reads
This is an ARC review. I received a copy of this novella from the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

This was another beautiful addition to Delilah S. Dawson’s wonderfully original Blud Series. In THE PECULIAR PETS OF MISS PLEASANCE, Dawson takes us out of Criminy Stain’s caravan and sets us in the London of the Blud world. Here we meet Frannie Pleasance, a pet shop owner, dealing with the loss of her family and trying dearly to protect a secret.

What I love about this serie...more
Jessica
Another quickie read, The Peculiar Pets of Miss Pleasance takes back to Delilah S. Dawson's Sangland! Here we meet pet shop owner Frannie and how she stumbles upon a druken Casper Sterling. He resembles his departed brother, so she takes pity on him and brings him home with her. It's also home to her pet shop where she sells exotic animals to Sangland. Basically, she sells pets we'd see in our world here, Corgis, birds, kittens, reptiles...you name it!

But suddenly one night her shop is caught on...more
Vanessa theJeepDiva
Wicked As She Wants is the next full length novel is Dawson’s Blud series. Casper Sterling is the hero. Readers are briefly introduced to Casper in Wicked As They Come. The Peculiar Pets of Miss Pleasance read like a bridge book to me. Casper has an insane amount of page time for a character who is not the hero if this novella. I guess I will find out next month if this is necessary for his book to make sense.

Frannie an independent woman who owns and runs her own pet shop sees her baby brother i...more
Brianna
I still miss Tish and Criminy, but this was a quick and fun read. I love the world this series is set in, and it gets even better with each book. The story was a mix of romance and mystery, as Frannie, the main character, kept being attacked by outside sources, after taking Casper in as a boarder. It all started with a fire. This was where the story took off, because she met Thom, and the pace picked up.

I loved Frannie's love for animals. It made her stand out from a lot of female leads, since...more
The Book Tart
Originally posted on The Book Tart http://thebooktart.com/new-fiction-re...

I love the writing style of Delilah S. Dawson! I fell in love with it when I read Wicked As She Comes last spring and with every book I’ve just fallen harder. I see her stories in living color. They read very visual and paint pictures in my imagination. The feelings and emotions she invokes can be beautiful, snarky, painful, sensual, scary and wicked… and all this just in a novella!

The heroine is the owner of a pet shop w...more
Josette
The Peculiar Pets of Miss Pleasance is an eNovella in the Blud series by Delilah S. Dawson. A steampunk, paranormal romance - the world created by Ms. Dawson is truly unique and engaging. Prior to this novella, I had read the first full length book in the series and one other novella and loved them both. This novella was no different.

The story centers around Frannie Pleasance and her pet store - some of the last non-blud animals in the Blud world are sold through her store.

One morning she comes...more
Kimberly
4.5 stars - My review cross-posted from Wit and Sin: http://witandsin.blogspot.com/2013/04...

In the grim and often bloody world of Sang, real pets are a rarity. Pet shop owner Frannie Pleasance is used to taking in strays, but famed musician Casper Sterling is a far different breed from her usual kittens and puppies. But taking Casper on as a lodger might be more trouble than Frannie anticipated. Upon his arrival strange and dangerous things start happening. When someone sets Frannie’s room on f...more
Melanie
This is a cute novella set in the crazy world of Sang. Frannie Pleasance owns and runs a pet store called Needful Creatures. She lives alone above the pet store, having lost her parents in a conveyance accident, and her brother was lost a few years later. She is a very strong and independent woman to live alone in such a harsh world.

When she takes in a boarder who strongly resembles her brother, things start to really go wrong. Someone is trying to kill her! When someone lights her bedroom on f...more
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
*Genre* Steampunk, Romance
*Rating* 4.0

*Thoughts*

If it hasn't become apparent to you by now, I have become a fan of the Blud series by Delilah Dawson and look forward to each release impatiently. In each story, Wicked as They Come, The Peculiar Pets of Miss Pleasance, and Wicked as She Wants, the series becomes that much harder to put down in order to read something else. Each book focuses on new and interesting characters like Criminay Stain, Tish Everett, Casper Sterling, and Freesian Blud Prin...more
Sophia
In this latest installment of the Blud series, the scene shifts away from Criminy's Carnival to follow a new character in London. It takes place after the first book, Wicked as They Come, but before the upcoming novel Wicked As She Wants. Though the main character is a woman from London, it does offer the story of what happens with Caspar after he leaves the Carnival so it is important to read it in order.

Alone after the deaths of the rest of her family and the poor treatment from her ex-fiance,...more
  • Gilded (The St. Croix Chronicles, #2)
  • Silent Warrior (Dragon Kings, #0.5)
  • Tethered (Iron Seas, #2.5)
  • His Lordship Possessed (Disenchanted & Co., Book 1, Part #2)
  • Tarnished Knight (London Steampunk, #1.5)
  • Entwined (Darkest London, #3.5)
  • Tempest (MetaWars, #3)
  • Club Monstrosity (Monstrosity, #1)
  • The Better To See You (Transplanted Tales, #2)
  • A Captain and a Corset (Steam Guardians, #2)
  • Night Resurrected (Envy Chronicles, #6)
  • Legacy (The League of Illusion #1)
  • Carniepunk
Delilah S. Dawson writes whimsical and dark Fantasy for adults and teens. Her Blud series for Pocket includes Wicked as They Come, Wicked After Midnight, and Wicked as She Wants, winner of the RT Book Reviews Steampunk Book of the Year and May Seal of Excellence for 2013. Her YA debut, Servants of the Storm, is out in August 2014, with another YA from Simon Pulse in April 2015, a pre-dystopian cal...more
More about Delilah S. Dawson...
Wicked as They Come (Blud, #1) Wicked as She Wants (Blud, #2) The Mysterious Madam Morpho (Blud, #1.5) The Damsel and the Daggerman (Blud, #2.5) Wicked After Midnight (Blud, #3)