Start by marking “The Last 10 Seconds” as Want to Read:
The Last 10 Seconds

The Last 10 Seconds (Tina Boyd #5)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  1,414 ratings  ·  86 reviews
The international bestseller.36 hours ago: A brutal serial killer is arrested on the streets of north London after a two-year reign of terror. Known as the Night Creeper, he’s earned his reputation by torturing five young women to death.

24 hours ago: Undercover cop Sean Egan has infiltrated one of the country’s most notorious criminal gangs. Now he’s about to risk his life
Published November 13th 2012 by Atria Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Last 10 Seconds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last 10 Seconds

Lainy
LOVED LOVED LOVED this book!

Synopsis
36 hours ago a serial killer is arrested on the streets of North London after a two year reign of terror. Known as the Night Creeper, hes earned his reputation by torturing 5 young women to death.

24 hours ago undercover cop Sean Egan has infiltrated one of the country's most nototrious criminal gangs. Now he is about to risk his life in a desperate bid to bring its members to justice.

12 hours ago DI Tina Boyd has discovered that the Night Creeper's murders are
Lynette
Great thriller, fast paced, wasn't based around detectives from 6 previous novels with back stories I didn't get because I haven't read them. Easy to follow, didn't guess everything early on. What's not to like? Not a masterpiece but a thoroughly enjoyable suspense novel.
Andy
Absolutely loved this book,
but am i reading the right one?
It says in the preview here that the guys name is John when it`s Sean and he`s not an ex-copper he is an undercover cop.
Also the killer is not known as the Penthouse Prowler but the Night creeper.
However the book is awesome all the same and thoroughly deserves it`s 5 stars as do ALL Simon`s other books.
Thouroughly enjoyable hard to put down thrillers.
Steve Emecz
Another dedicated shelf has to be created for Kernick in the house and my wife is getting annoyed. Coben, Crais, Connelly, and others dominate the shelves and now Kernick too. Fast paced and quite tough, excellent travelling on the tube fodder - in the re-visit later category too.
Julie Marshall
Loved this book!! Fast paced. Action packed. Page turner. Highly recommended :))
Alan Dunn
Excellent; loved this. A fast-paced thriller with no stopping-off points,

I really found myself caught up in this, and one thing I liked was that I kept doubting whether I was supposed to be rooting for Sean or not. That opening scene-setter was to blame (well done!), and I enjoyed the ride.

I'm getting a bit annoyed with myself for reading these out of order (I read Siege first), so I'm gonna have to go back and start the series from Tina Boyd no.1...

The description on here is a tad off though,
Matt Hilton
Another top notch thriller from Simon Kernick
Craig Sisterson
Over recent years Simon Kernick has rapidly established himself amongst the upper echelon of contemporary British thriller writers. His earlier novel Relentless was the best-selling thriller in the UK in 2007, and now he’s back with another riveting read.

The Last 10 Seconds opens with rogue undercover cop Sean Egan bleeding on the floor of an abandoned building, surrounded by bodies, before flicking back in time to trace the build-up to the violent confrontation. Egan is one of three main chara
Toni Osborne
I have been a fan of mysteries and of exciting thrillers for ever and I am always looking for an author that can top all that I have read in the past. Mr. Kernick has definitely caught my attention and his novels will command a prominent position on my TBR list. “The Last 10 Seconds”, is just what the title suggests, a fast paced action- packed thriller filled with lots of graphic crime scenes and murders, a captivating story that leaves plenty for the imagination and little time to speculate, i ...more
Daniel
Lukasz Pruski
What a disappointment! Simon Kernick’s “The Last 10 Seconds” is a very bad novel. After wonderful “The Business of Dying” (4 stars) and good “Crime Trade” and “The Murder Exchange” (3 stars both), there comes this horrid clunker.

“The Last 10 Seconds” is so poorly written that it became a dreaded page-turner for me. I was turning pages fast wanting to end the butchery of language as fast as possible. I am afraid Mr. Kernick, now a well-established author of thrillers, does not have time or energy
Miles
As with many of the books I’ve read and reviewed this year “The Last 10 Seconds” is my first introduction to author Simon Kernick and as the title eludes; this is a nonstop thriller, packed to the rafters with action, murder and suspense.

Based in and around London, the book, as you would expect, has a real British feel to it and follows the exploits of Sean Egan and DI Tina Boyd – both cops. A rollercoaster of a novel, the pages hit you hard and fast, not once letting up and allowing a moment’s
Lizzie Hayes
‘The Last 10 Seconds’ by Simon Kernick
Published by Bantam Press, 21st January, 2010

DCI Tina Boyd is chasing down a brutal violent killer, dubbed ‘The Night Creeper, who tortures young women to death.

Sean Egan who found the life in the police force too tame has for the last ten years worked undercover. He has finally managed to infiltrate one of London’s most dangerous criminal gangs, but the mission is unauthorised, and Sean has his own agenda.

The action covers a thirty-seven hour period, and d
Best Crime Books
There are three people involved and none of them can predict just how dangerous things are going to turn out. DI Tina Boyd has a past that is littered with trouble and she just seems to attract it wherever she goes. She has been part of the team that has tracked down and now arrested the serial killer known as `The Night Creeper'. The only problem is he has now been kidnapped and it's Tina's job to hunt him down.

Sean Egan is an undercover cop who has managed to become embedded in a dangerous cri
Matthew Leach
Simon Kernick is, in my view, one of those authors who rarely disappoints, and this, his latest effort, certainly doesnt.
The novel is the usual Kernick fare, a race against time thriller of sorts, that culminates in an explosive ending, with a few nice twists and turns along the way.
The story centres around Tina Boyd, an alcoholic DI on the verge of breakdown, and the aftermath of her successful investigation and capture of a killer known as The Night Creeper. And undercover officer Sean Egan,
Sheepdog
Accomplishes that which is not easy...

Spins a complex plot, with some surprizes along the way... without leaving you feeling like you need to take notes.

Also does a good job of avoiding the drab "first this happened, than this, then this..." structure. Tantalizing flash forwards, flash backs. Again, done without introducing confusion.

Well developed characters, and no "supermen" (or women), or ridiculous villains.
Steve Horsfall
Simon Kernick's books always hook you from the first line to the last and `The Last 10 Seconds' is no exception. I would put it up there as my favourite Kernick book alongside `The Crime Trade'. You get two perspectives as a complex series of crimes is unravelled & from two cops who are both anti-heroes, Tina Boyd and Sean Egan. Neither plays by the rule book, and both have a personal need for revenge. Kernick likes a good anti-hero but for me Undercover Cop Egan was his best yet and I hope ...more
Andreas Strom
A good fastpaced thriller that kept me
coming back for more when I tried to put it aside. only the second Kernick novel I've read, but it won't be the last. Btw, whoever wrote the blurb about the book has probably not even opened it - that, or someone changed names around for the American version.
Michele Harrod
Holy moley, strap yourself in for this ride. It really is non-stop from the opening page. Almost to the point where you put the book down and laugh out loud, as surely, just surely it is NOT possible for so much to go down in one person's life in a couple of days. But it's good. And it does that dirty trick of each chapter leaving you hanging, and rocking straight on to the next one, to find out more. This isn't a leisurely read. At times the violence was a bit gross (I used to love that too, bu ...more
Elizabeth
Good, fast-paced plot, with some very good twists and turns. I think in the end there is unnecessary complication, but not enough to spoil my enjoyment. I liked the main characters, particularly Sean, and I was willing the good guys to succeed all along.
Lisa
Fast paced and suspenseful--an easy read to jump into. I like the writing style of this author and will look for more of his titles.
Ben
I came to this book having read Simon Kernick's more recent novel, 'Siege'. Similar to that book, this was an enjoyable read that didn't let up. It's a interesting format, where the narrative can change from first person format for one chapter focussing on a particular character; to third person narrative in another chapter focussing on a different character.

Ultimately, I was very pleased with the book. I find choosing a crime thriller so difficult; there's so many out there which seem to follow
Dennis Osborne
First time I've read this author. An interesting police thriller. Definitely will look to future books from this author
Den
A proper page turner with loads of twists. The first Kernick novel I have read (I think). It begins with an undercover police officer, Sean Egan, laying in a room of dead bodies and then transports you back 3 days to the events leading up to it. It also features another cop,Tina Boyd, who like Egan doesn't follow the normal rules to achieve her aim. The basic plot is that they are trying to find a murderer who made his crime appear to be a serial killers & the plot connects vicious gangs, th ...more
Anne
Really fast paced from the very first page, couldn't put it down until I'd finished it!
Bev Taylor
tina boyd novel - the most reckless detective there can be but who gets results - at a price

a brutal serial killer is arrested - known as the night creeper - who mutilates and rapes girls both before and after they r dead. 5 r known

undercover cop sean egan has infiltrated one of the country's most notorious criminal gangs but he also has a hidden agenda - to avenge the murder if his brother

these two detectives and their cases will cross over with disastrous results and so many twists and turn
Suzanne Kay
Fab read from start to finish
Lorraine
This starts off slightly different to the other Simon Kernick books i've read, its a little slower and doesn't seem to catch you right away. I did give it the benefit of the doubt and i'm glad I did as its an amazing read! Simon amazes me how well he writes, how he gets you so involved as though hes writing about you, its very fast paced once you get into it, almost like watching a film (I have said this before about his other books) but you get so enthralled into it that you don't miss a thing.
David V.
Received as an ARC from the publisher. Started on 11-2-13. Finished on 11-6-13. Mr Kernick has produced another fast-action page-turner that grabbed me on page one. He's got a knack for books you want to read in one sitting, unless you have to go to work or some other ridiculous activity, like sleeping, for example. Interesting characters, even the nasty ones, and they are truly nasty. Good guys (or women) whom you want to know better, and lots of twists to keep you guessing.
  • From the Dead (Tom Thorne, #9)
  • Fallen Idols (DC Laura McGanity, #1)
  • Catch Your Death
  • Captured
  • Gone (Jack Caffery, #5)
  • Flesh House (Logan McRae, #4)
  • London Calling
  • Dead Like You (Roy Grace, #6)
  • The Lucifer Code
  • The Surrogate (Brennan & Esposito, #1)
Simon Kernick (born 1966 in Slough, Berkshire) is a British thriller/crime writer now living in Oxfordshire with his wife and two daughters. He attended Gillotts School, a comprehensive in Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire. Whilst he was a student his jobs included fruitpicker and Christmas-tree uprooter. He graduated from Brighton Polytechnic in 1991 with a degree in humanities. Kernick had a passion ...more
More about Simon Kernick...

Tina Boyd (7 books)
  • The Crime Trade (Tina Boyd #1)
  • Relentless
  • Deadline
  • Target  (Tina Boyd, #4)
  • Ultimatum (Tina Boyd #6)
  • The Final Minute
Relentless Deadline Severed Siege Target  (Tina Boyd, #4)