Start by marking “Play the Ball Where the Monkey Drops It: Why We Suffer and How We Can Hope” as Want to Read:
Play the Ball Where the Monkey Drops It: Why We Suffer and How We Can Hope

Play the Ball Where the Monkey Drops It: Why We Suffer and How We Can Hope

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  14 ratings  ·  3 reviews
During colonial times the British living in India tried to play golf, only to be frustrated by monkeys who disrupted the game by chasing the golf balls and creating chaos. The British tried erecting fences and posting guards to keep the monkeys back, but eventually decided to play the ball where the monkey dropped it -- as we often must do in life, to live as best we can w ...more
Published August 7th 2001 by HarperOne (first published August 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Play the Ball Where the Monkey Drops It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Play the Ball Where the Monkey Drops It

I did struggle with this book--for being such a short book it sure took me a while to get through it.

The main thing that didn't set well with me was the author's assertion that God is not all powerful. The author used this assertion to balance the claim that God loves us and does not want us to suffer (being that if he were all powerfull and he really loved us, he'd prevent the car from sliding off the road, etc.)

If this notion doesn't set well with you, the book still has a lot to offer. It des
Tim
A quick read of a Presbyterian's experience with innocent suffering, and the theology he's cobbled together to (try to) offer solace. Most interesting suggestion: that God's power should be understood as a "power of persuasion" (i.e., a power to persuade people to "do the right thing"), rather than a power to prevent those events which cause suffering.
Jeri Elder
GREAT book!! by the former pastor of our church Chester Presbyterian in Chester Va. Very wise man.
Lucky
Lucky marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Odd
Odd marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Cherweb22
Cherweb22 is currently reading it
Apr 29, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2013
Joseph
Joseph is currently reading it
Mar 28, 2013
Jeannie
Jeannie marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2012
Drew Castel
Drew Castel marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2012
Bryn
Bryn marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2012
Austin Searfoss
Austin Searfoss marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2012