Start by marking “That Weekend...” as Want to Read:
That Weekend...

That Weekend...

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  23 reviews
As a TV blogger and celebrity reporter with her finger on the pulse of the entertainment world, Ava Christensen figures she's a shoo-in as cohost at Entertainment News Now. Wrong. The reason?Jake Durham.

To add insult to injury, Ava has to spend a week with her Judas of a boss at the industry's A-list film festival. All right, so maybe she used to think the hotshot executiv
Published January 2nd 2013 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about That Weekend..., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That Weekend...

Samantha
"That Weekend" was certainly a whirlwind of a book. The main character reminded me a lot of Sophie Kinsella's main character in her Shopaholic series, as Ava is incredibly bubbly and in love with fashion.
The banter between her, Jake and also between her and her mother made me giggle page after page.

This book covers a wide range of time, including some of that where our favourite couple were separated (sad face inserted here!), That Weekend is basically as long as your time spent in a cast for a
♡B♡
This was a different one for me. It is very sweet and romance at its definition. I won't lie I wanted more steam but over all it was a good read. I had an idea of how things were going to play out. I did there for a while not like Jake. I completely understood why she was upset with him and why she didn't like the guy and I agreed. Then we get to see things from his point of view and we get to see what he thinks of Ava. At one point I figured the reason he didn't pick her for promotion was becau ...more
Marie
This book was really long and honestly the further I read the more boring it got, the writing was ok, but wasn't very persuasive and didn't get me fixed.
The main characters Jake and Ava were alright but I don't think we got to know the real them well enough to really connect with them, I never empathised with Jake's problems and found Ava really annoying. All she seemed to think about was work and she complained like all the time.

You could picture the ending after the first couple of chapters
Marian
Apr 05, 2015 Marian added it
That Weekend is a cute story about two coworkers falling in love. When they first met there was an obvious attraction, but when Jake passed Ava up on a promotion, she was determined to not let herself fall for him.

While away on a business trip, Ava finds herself in an unusual circumstance, and finds herself relying on the guy who she doesn't want to fall for. As she and Jake get closer, Ava realizes that she may have misjudged him.

The story was definitely intriguing. I liked reading about the di
Rowena
This was a quick story that I thought was cute. It follows Ava Christensen and Jake Durham as they battle wits and their attraction and their issues, together. So Ava was up for a promotion at work but the new producer Jake chose to go in a different direction and that pissed Ava off because the guy that he gave the position to is related to the big boss and doesn’t have much experience for the job. But after a quick bitch fest with her best friend, Ava is set to go on a business trip to a film ...more
Kourtney
I received an advanced copy from the First Reads Giveaway and enjoyed That Weekend very much!

Ava, one of the protagonists, is gunning for the new cohost position at her work until her new temporary boss, Jake, hires someone else. Of course now she has to hate him even though they might or might not have had a moment at a certain Anti-Valentine's Day party... Of course, things only get more complicated from there.

What I liked a lot was Jennifer McKenzie's use of third person switching back from A
Kathryn
I believe this is the first Harlequin Superromance I have read. Usually I drift more toward the romantic suspense, but the premise of this book interested me.

Book Binge
...This was a cute read. It had the right amount of cuteness, steam and laughs to keep me happy and I really enjoyed getting to know both Ava and Jake. They're both flawed characters but they worked well with each other and they were cute together. They each made boneheaded moves throughout the book but it didn't bother me too much. This was a great read and even though I didn't absolutely love the heck out of it, I still enjoyed it and will definitely be checking out more from this author.

3.5 o
ARe Cafe
Kathryn's ARe Cafe Staff Pick for the week of 2/17/13.

Ava is an aspiring broadcast journalist who is initially miffed when passed over for a promotion. Her temporary boss, Jake, had his reasons, and when they're pushed together to attend a film festival you can imagine there will be tension. The story takes them from fidgeting at work, to flirting, to coupling. Of course, work issues get in the way of romance.

I thought it was a cute story, easy to read, and if you like your romances sweet you co
Janga
This story was well written, and the entertainment context and the inclusion of bits of Ava’s blog gave it the feel of being truly contemporary. There’s one amusing scene when Ava is in the hospital that has her texting with her best friend about Jake while she and Jake exchange emails about her body language response to the texting. But I just never felt fully engaged with these characters. Perhaps I’m just not part of the targeted audience for this one, or perhaps it suffered from the inevitab ...more
Missy
I couldn't read this book fast enough. Not because I loved it because I just wanted to get it over with and start my next book. I picked this big because the main female character is a blogger and I happened to be one too. I just did not like this writer's style. I know others do so I guess it is just personal preference. There wasn't enough steamy sex for my liking and I'm sick and tired of writers using the term "need" to described wanting to have sex with someone. Can we please come up with a ...more
Sara  HarlequinJunkie
Reviewed at HarlequinJunkie.com

Rating 4.5 Stars

That Weekend is a vibrantly cheeky, flirtatiously fun, brightly humorous, romance that will make you sigh with pleasure!

Ava Christensen works as a reporter for Entertainment New Now. She is sure that she will soon be getting a promotion to the show as a co host. When she is passed over by the owner of the stations nephew, she is furious with the show’s executive producer, Jake Durham. To make matters worse she is forced to spend a weekend working Re
Sharon
Ava and Jake's story was well done. I wanted nothing but the best for Ava and her disappointment with Jake, twice!, made me sad.

On page 283, when Ava's mom asked her "So why don't you look happy? Ava?", I could feel my tears welling up with Ava and I think I started crying before she did! I am such a wuss, lol.

I was glad when Ava picked up her boots and carried forth with dignity.

I wanted to slap Jake but I was glad came around. He did care for her but wow, did she ever have to work to get him
Kate Vale
I love it when I learn something even as I’m enjoying a good book. That Weekend gave me some insights into TV news reporting and production without detracting from the story. The details simply added to the fleshing out of the characters and how they played against one another. Their back stories, too, were just enough to help me understand more fully why they were push-pulling in the midst of their love interest. The little blog entries at different points in the story were a nice touch, too.
Jess
Things I liked:

1. Set in a city, or cities, for the most part.
2. The premise.

Things I didn't like:

1. Overly aggressive families, jesus.

On the whole, this was okay. I more or less liked the romance, but god, any enjoyment I got from that was ruined by wanting to punch their families in the face. Maybe not Jake's mom. But definitely Ava's mom, and Jake's dad and sister. If I were Jake, I would have fled across the country a hell of a lot sooner. Good grief.
April
Disclosure: This ebook was provided to me free of charge through NetGalley for the sole purpose of an honest review. All thoughts, comments, and ratings are my own.

Really interesting tale that had my attention the whole time. The pace was wonderful and the characters engaging. Beautiful storytelling that kept me on the edge of my seat!

Sweet tale!
Connie Peters
Just received my "Giveaway" of That Weekend! Can't wait to start reading!

Thank you Harlequin Romance! This is what I read Harlequin for! Years ago, in my teens and through my 20's, I subscribed to Harlequin.
Charlene Groome
I love reading stories set in Vancouver. The characters were enjoyable!
E_bookpushers
I think the hero was a jerk and needed to grovel a LOT more...
Harlequin Books
Category: Heart & Home
New look, longer book!
Sharlene
Great book! I read it in a day!
Chris Mead
4.5 stars A funny, feisty, read!
Stella
Light and entertaining.
Katie
Katie added it
Apr 13, 2015
Sweetpea
Sweetpea marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Rebecca Williams
Rebecca Williams marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Dubaduba
Dubaduba marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Bianca
Bianca marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Back to the Good Fortune Diner
  • The Man Plan
  • An Act of Persuasion (Tyler Group, #2)
  • Lying in Bed
  • Suddenly You
  • A Real Cowboy (Rich Rugged Ranchers #2)
  • Beneath Outback Skies (Outback Dust #1)
  • The Next Right Thing
  • First Time for Everything
  • Pray the Gay Away: The Extraordinary Lives of Bible Belt Gays
  • Undeniable Demands (Secrets of Eden, #1)
  • The Ruby Kiss (The Magic Knot, #4)
  • The Strange Gift of Gwendolyn Golden
  • The Enchanted Truth
  • The Theory of Attraction: The Theory of Attraction\A Shot in the Dark\Forbidden Fantasies
  • O Come All Ye Kinky
  • Love Slave
  • Shadow of a Dead Star  (The Wonderland Cycle #1)
Reader, writer, romantic.
Not necessarily in that order.

Jennifer McKenzie lives in Vancouver, Canada where she enjoys being able to ski and surf in the same day—not that she ever does either of those things. After years of working as a communications professional and spending her days writing for everyone else, she traded in the world of water coolers, cubicles and high heels to write for herself a
More about Jennifer McKenzie...
Not Another Wedding This Just In... Tempting Donovan Ford Men of Alaska Trilogy Megabook Slut Diaries: Teen Slut #2