Start by marking “A Few Good Men (Darkship, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Few Good Men (Darkship, #3)

A Few Good Men (Darkship #3)

Original trade paperback, sequel to Darkship Renegades and Darkship Thieves.  The son of a ruler on Earth instigates civil war and revolution when he attempts to take the place of his assassinated father and uncovers a terrible secret that has been used to enslave humanity.

The Son Also Rises…

On a near future Earth, Good Man does not mean good at all.  Instead, the term si
Published March 5th 2013 by Baen (first published February 14th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about A Few Good Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Few Good Men

Kelly
Mar 01, 2013 Kelly rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Set in the same universe as Darkship Thieves and Darkship Renegages, Sarah A. Hoyt’s new novel A Few Good Men picks up the story on Earth from an alternate viewpoint. Luce Keeva has been in prison for fifteen years, fourteen of which were spent in solitary confinement. He’s sure he’s no longer sane. A raid on the submerged prison where he is being held frees him.

Luce is not prepared for the world he emerges into and, as it turns out, that world is not prepared for him. His father and younger bro
Clyde
Oct 13, 2012 Clyde rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
A Few Good Men is advertized as the sequel to Sarah A. Hoyt's Darkship Renegades and Darkship Thieves. This isn't strictly true. It is set in the same future and takes place over much the same time period, but is more of a companion story than a sequel. (It does intersect the earlier stories a couple of times, but they need not be read first.)
Basically, this is the story of a revolution told from the inside.
The main protagonist, Luce Keeva, is one super tough hombre. He has to be, because the st
Stephen Gallup
Apr 24, 2013 Stephen Gallup rated it really liked it
This novel grew on me, which is to say that I got a good ways into it before feeling really caught up in the story. Partly that's because it's not the same kind of page-turner as the Andrew Klavan thriller I had just finished. Also, a story like this, set hundreds of years in the future, in a society radically different from our own, has an extra burden in getting readers up to speed.

Once in synch with it, however, I was indeed hooked.

Here's (part of) the premise: Our current world structure has
Marina Fontaine
A Few Good Men is a story with three key characters, of whom one is dead and the other two at least marginally insane. If this sounds like the latest selection at your local literary books club, it isn’t. On the other hand, neither is the book as campy as the cover promises to a casual reader unfamiliar with Baen Publishing cover styles. Instead, it’s that hard to achieve combination of action and introspection, pitch-black darkness and brightly shining light, world-shaking insight and lighthear ...more
Argus
Jan 18, 2014 Argus rated it it was ok
I vaguely recall reading Darkship Thieves a while back, which I guess was a precursor to this book. I didn't read my own review of it before I launched into writing this, but I'm going to afterward and see if I had the same complaints. I think I might, though I think I used the term "space princess biker chick", which I'm not about to repeat, so there's at least one major difference.

A Few Good Men is a book that tries to make a big deal out of the ideals of the United States founding fathers bei
Steve
Dec 28, 2012 Steve rated it it was ok
A quirky book, a little on the weak side in the character development arena. I enjoyed the pretty original story. I'm always amazed that authors can come up with something completely new. It's probably why they write and people like me just get to be lucky and read.
I got this book on the amazing Baen publisher website, as an ARC.
This was my first book by this author and I was not disappointed. An enjoyable read. The story kept me engaged but not on the edge of my seat. I never like to say anyth
Robin Budd
Dec 23, 2016 Robin Budd rated it it was ok
The book wasn't terrible. The characters were reasonably well developed. But I really disliked the kid-lit influence. Seriously, a futuristic world of advanced technology where people ride around on...brooms? And bad guys are called "scrubbers"? Are these brooms gone bad? And a prison is called "Never Never"? Not my idea of good sci-fi.
Cedar Sanderson
Jan 16, 2014 Cedar Sanderson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
If you liked Hunger Games, but wanted more grown-up protagonists and solutions, you should explore the world Sarah has built in her series that began with Darkship Thieves. While the first and second books (Darkship Renegades) are more straighforward space fantasy, the bulk of A Few Good Men takes place on an Earth ravaged by wars, plagues, and genetic engineering of a sinister sort. Lucius, the main character,was only a teen when he was unjustly imprisoned, and he remains emotionally scarred by ...more
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
Nov 10, 2013 Jo (Mixed Book Bag) rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
While this says it is a sequel to Darkship Renegades and Darkship Thieves the action does not happen after the first two books, Most of the action is happening at the same time but on Earth instead of in space. There are several places where the characters and action from both are together but the author assumes you have read Darkship Thieves and does not repeat what happened in the other book. As a result you could be very confused.

Luce Keeva tells A Few Good Men in the first person. He has bee
Michael Hirsch
Feb 14, 2014 Michael Hirsch rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
This is the third book in the Darkship series and by far the worst. Hoyt is a talented writer, but she is at her best when writing action and the story moves quickly, and at her worst when writing her simple-minded political essays. Unfortunately, this book has too much of the former and not enough of the latter.

The hero is "A Few Good Men" is male. All of Hoyt's other books had female leads and she does a much better job with them. I found him thoroughly boring and don't think Hoyt has any insi
Henry Lazarus
Jan 02, 2014 Henry Lazarus rated it it was ok
Sarah A. Hoyt tells of the rebellion against A Few Good Men (trade from Baen) which is set in the same world as her Darkship Thieves (paper) tales. Lucius Keeva was the son of a Good man who found himself in the wrong place and time and ended up in solitary confinement for fourteen years. Coming out he discovers that his brother and father are both dead. So he goes to the island his father ruled and takes control to protect it from other ‘Good Men’. But he doesn’t know that the other ‘good men’ ...more
Melody
Mar 20, 2015 Melody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a great deal of sympathy for the hero of this book. The author handles his trials with humor and sensitivity. This is a great extension of the Darkship series. Reading the first two books isn't neccessary but would help even though this book has only a brief intersection with the charcter and events of the first two books. I quite enjoyed this book and will recommend it to my husband and my teenagers.
I have read this book before but this tme I listened to the Audiobook. As usual there wer
Lizzie
Jun 06, 2016 Lizzie rated it it was amazing
When I just finish a really good book that impresses me on every level, I don't know what to write. The first two were very good, but the 3rd book in the Darkship series, which concentrates on Lucius and Nat and what is happening on Earth during the time period during and after Athena's and Kat's adventures, is even better. It has it all - science fiction, adventure, revolution, prison breaks, individual survival, politics, and philosophy.
Karen Myers
Mar 12, 2013 Karen Myers rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I've been waiting for this book with a great deal of anticipation. As other reviewers have said, free up your schedule once you start reading -- you won't be going anywhere until you finish it, not even to bed.

Sarah Hoyt takes on a complex story and carries it off with skill. Her reimagining of a second American Revolution manages to retain intimacy with the characters while covering a broad sweep of events. Well done.
Nathan
May 12, 2015 Nathan rated it really liked it
Sarah Hoyt writes good books and great characters. This book is definitely readable outside of the "Darkship" series that it's a part of, and presents a pretty grim, but well set and believable, future in which a handful of "Good Men" rule the rest of humanity with an hidden, iron fist until one of their own finds out about what's really going on and decides to do something about it. Or has the need to do something about it forced upon him. Well worth the read.
Kjirstin
Apr 09, 2013 Kjirstin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, future, sci-fi, action
Such an interesting addition to the Darkships series... this story was hinted at in Darkship Renegades, but now it really comes into its own. The escape from Never Never in the beginning is thrilling, and the story never lets up after that. I enjoyed Luce and Nat and all of Nat's family... I hope we'll hear more about them as the story continues. An excellent book!
Nicole Luiken
Mar 02, 2014 Nicole Luiken rated it liked it
Shelves: sfantasy
Awesome prison-break beginning and strong pacing through the first 150 pages. I really liked Lucius, the main character. I bogged down a bit in the middle--too much rhetoric for my tastes. (Not that I disagreed with the rhetoric, inalienable rights are GOOD things.) The overlapping ending with Darkship Renegades didn't quite work for me.
Jeff
Apr 30, 2013 Jeff rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Good effort, tiding up loose ends on Earth, engaging but not up to par for the rest of the serials.
Sandi
Nov 25, 2012 Sandi rated it really liked it
I hope there is more in this series, I really want to know the rest of the story.
Amber
Feb 23, 2014 Amber rated it it was amazing
I liked it. I really liked it. This book is awesome. You should read it.

#NoHetero
Adrienne
Jul 03, 2013 Adrienne rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
love my space opera! another good story from Sarah A Hoyt.
Erica
Erica rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2015
Christopher Casper
Christopher Casper rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2017
Nicolas
Nicolas rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2014
D. Jason
D. Jason rated it really liked it
May 05, 2016
Becky Andreasen
Becky Andreasen rated it liked it
May 25, 2016
Richard Heever
Richard Heever rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2015
Howard Brazee
Howard Brazee rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2013
Melinda
Melinda rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2015
Clbeam
Clbeam rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Small Government ...: Buddy/Group Read: A Few Good Men by Sarah A. Hoyt 58 21 Nov 14, 2014 07:35PM
  • Blowback (Retrieval Artist, #9)
  • Hope Reborn (The General, #1-2)
  • How Dark the World Becomes
  • The Amazon Legion
  • Ride the Rising Tide (The Maxwell Saga, #2)
  • Spheres of Influence (Grand Central Arena #2)
  • The Road of Danger (Lt. Leary, #9)
  • Beginnings (Worlds of Honor, #6)
  • Interstellar Patrol
  • Retreat Hell  (The Empire's Corp's, #8)
  • Med Ship (Med Service, #1-4)
  • Raising Caine (Tales of the Terran Republic, #3)
  • Renegade (The Spiral Wars, #1)
  • The Three-Cornered War  (The Regiment, #5)
  • Cobra Gamble (Cobra War, #3)
  • Man-Kzin Wars XIV

Darkship (7 books)
  • DarkShip Thieves (Darkship, #1)
  • High Stakes
  • Neptune's Orphans
  • Darkship Renegades (Darkship, #2)
  • Five Tomorrows
  • Through Fire (Darkship, #4)