Start by marking “A Few Good Men” as Want to Read:
A Few Good Men

A Few Good Men (Darkship #3)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Original trade paperback, sequel to Darkship Renegades and Darkship Thieves.  The son of a ruler on Earth instigates civil war and revolution when he attempts to take the place of his assassinated father and uncovers a terrible secret that has been used to enslave humanity.

The Son Also Rises…

On a near future Earth, Good Man does not mean good at all.
Published March 5th 2013 by Baen (first published February 14th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about A Few Good Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Few Good Men

Perfect Timing by Catherine AndersonThe Rebel's Promise by Jane GodmanThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadScarlet by Marissa MeyerAnything for You by Jessica Scott
Best books of February, 2013
84th out of 112 books — 528 voters
Ready Player One by Ernest ClineThe Martian by Andy WeirCaliban's War by James S.A. CoreyDaemon by Daniel SuarezFreedom™ by Daniel Suarez
Science Fiction - 2010-2019
49th out of 155 books — 57 voters

More lists with this book...

Clyde
A Few Good Men is advertized as the sequel to Sarah A. Hoyt's Darkship Renegades and Darkship Thieves. This isn't strictly true. It is set in the same future and takes place over much the same time period, but is more of a companion story than a sequel. (It does intersect the earlier stories a couple of times, but they need not be read first.)
Basically, this is the story of a revolution told from the inside.
The main protagonist, Luce Keeva, is one super tough hombre. He has to be, because the st
Kelly
Set in the same universe as Darkship Thieves and Darkship Renegages, Sarah A. Hoyt’s new novel A Few Good Men picks up the story on Earth from an alternate viewpoint. Luce Keeva has been in prison for fifteen years, fourteen of which were spent in solitary confinement. He’s sure he’s no longer sane. A raid on the submerged prison where he is being held frees him.

Luce is not prepared for the world he emerges into and, as it turns out, that world is not prepared for him. His father and younger bro
Masha K.
A Few Good Men is a story with three key characters, of whom one is dead and the other two at least marginally insane. If this sounds like the latest selection at your local literary books club, it isn’t. On the other hand, neither is the book as campy as the cover promises to a casual reader unfamiliar with Baen Publishing cover styles. Instead, it’s that hard to achieve combination of action and introspection, pitch-black darkness and brightly shining light, world-shaking insight and lighthear ...more
Michael Hirsch
This is the third book in the Darkship series and by far the worst. Hoyt is a talented writer, but she is at her best when writing action and the story moves quickly, and at her worst when writing her simple-minded political essays. Unfortunately, this book has too much of the former and not enough of the latter.

The hero is "A Few Good Men" is male. All of Hoyt's other books had female leads and she does a much better job with them. I found him thoroughly boring and don't think Hoyt has any insi
Argus
I vaguely recall reading Darkship Thieves a while back, which I guess was a precursor to this book. I didn't read my own review of it before I launched into writing this, but I'm going to afterward and see if I had the same complaints. I think I might, though I think I used the term "space princess biker chick", which I'm not about to repeat, so there's at least one major difference.

A Few Good Men is a book that tries to make a big deal out of the ideals of the United States founding fathers bei
Cedar Sanderson
If you liked Hunger Games, but wanted more grown-up protagonists and solutions, you should explore the world Sarah has built in her series that began with Darkship Thieves. While the first and second books (Darkship Renegades) are more straighforward space fantasy, the bulk of A Few Good Men takes place on an Earth ravaged by wars, plagues, and genetic engineering of a sinister sort. Lucius, the main character,was only a teen when he was unjustly imprisoned, and he remains emotionally scarred by ...more
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
While this says it is a sequel to Darkship Renegades and Darkship Thieves the action does not happen after the first two books, Most of the action is happening at the same time but on Earth instead of in space. There are several places where the characters and action from both are together but the author assumes you have read Darkship Thieves and does not repeat what happened in the other book. As a result you could be very confused.

Luce Keeva tells A Few Good Men in the first person. He has bee
Stephen Gallup
This novel grew on me, which is to say that I got a good ways into it before feeling really caught up in the story. Partly that's because it's not the same kind of page-turner as the Andrew Klavan thriller I had just finished. Also, a story like this, set hundreds of years in the future, in a society radically different from our own, has an extra burden in getting readers up to speed.

Once in synch with it, however, I was indeed hooked.

Here's (part of) the premise: Our current world structure has
Steve
A quirky book, a little on the weak side in the character development arena. I enjoyed the pretty original story. I'm always amazed that authors can come up with something completely new. It's probably why they write and people like me just get to be lucky and read.
I got this book on the amazing Baen publisher website, as an ARC.
This was my first book by this author and I was not disappointed. An enjoyable read. The story kept me engaged but not on the edge of my seat. I never like to say anyth
Henry Lazarus
Sarah A. Hoyt tells of the rebellion against A Few Good Men (trade from Baen) which is set in the same world as her Darkship Thieves (paper) tales. Lucius Keeva was the son of a Good man who found himself in the wrong place and time and ended up in solitary confinement for fourteen years. Coming out he discovers that his brother and father are both dead. So he goes to the island his father ruled and takes control to protect it from other ‘Good Men’. But he doesn’t know that the other ‘good men’ ...more
Nicole Luiken
Awesome prison-break beginning and strong pacing through the first 150 pages. I really liked Lucius, the main character. I bogged down a bit in the middle--too much rhetoric for my tastes. (Not that I disagreed with the rhetoric, inalienable rights are GOOD things.) The overlapping ending with Darkship Renegades didn't quite work for me.
Kjirstin
Such an interesting addition to the Darkships series... this story was hinted at in Darkship Renegades, but now it really comes into its own. The escape from Never Never in the beginning is thrilling, and the story never lets up after that. I enjoyed Luce and Nat and all of Nat's family... I hope we'll hear more about them as the story continues. An excellent book!
Elliecoy
It's on my keeper shelf, and I re-read it. The prison break in the beginning is just about perfect. The break into prison later is just about perfect. There are a few parts that sag slightly (I think of it as catching my breath) but the characters are so strong, I have to find out what happens next. Even the very understated ending is exactly right for Nate and Luce. It rings true. Can you tell I loved the book? When I re-read it, it's like visiting old friends.
Karen Myers
I've been waiting for this book with a great deal of anticipation. As other reviewers have said, free up your schedule once you start reading -- you won't be going anywhere until you finish it, not even to bed.

Sarah Hoyt takes on a complex story and carries it off with skill. Her reimagining of a second American Revolution manages to retain intimacy with the characters while covering a broad sweep of events. Well done.
Joy
I...want to ride a broom!

The story of jailbreaks and a revolution...
Jeff
May 03, 2013 Jeff rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: sci-fi
Good effort, tiding up loose ends on Earth, engaging but not up to par for the rest of the serials.
Amber
I liked it. I really liked it. This book is awesome. You should read it.

#NoHetero
Sandi
I hope there is more in this series, I really want to know the rest of the story.
Zachary
An interesting spin-off of Hoyt's Darkship books. It's Heinlein-esque, and a lot of fun.
Adrienne
love my space opera! another good story from Sarah A Hoyt.
Thomas
Thomas marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Plaster
Plaster marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Adam Ashley
Adam Ashley marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Jon
Jon marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Janika Puolitaival
Janika Puolitaival is currently reading it
Nov 10, 2014
Mike (the Paladin)
Mike (the Paladin) marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Roman Vilensky
Roman Vilensky marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Small Government ...: Buddy/Group Read: A Few Good Men by Sarah A. Hoyt 58 19 Nov 14, 2014 07:35PM
DarkShip Thieves No Will But His: A Novel of Kathryn Howard Draw One in the Dark (Shifters, #1) Darkship Renegades Ill Met by Moonlight (Shakespearean Fantasies, #1)