The Heretic (Raj Whitehall, #9)

The Heretic (Raj Whitehall #9)

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  19 reviews
David Drake’s legendary Raj Whitehall/The General series, stunningly reborn! In a world of muskets, bows and arrows, and reptile riding nomads, a young warrior fights against a totalitarian computer devoted to stasis.

ABEL DASHIAN'S WORLD DOESN'T NEED A HERO
       Duisberg...more
Published April 2nd 2013 by Baen (first published March 15th 2013)

Kelly
Shortly after the death of his mother, six year-old Abel Dashian wanders into a locked storage shed. He has a fair idea what he’ll find in there: nishterlaub. Forbidden articles of old and broken technology packed away behind lock and key. Abel is a precocious young lad; he turns the key, ducks into the room and begins exploring. The priests know it’s there, right? They collected it and put it away. So long as he doesn’t actually try to use any of it (lock aside), he won’t be acting against Stas...more
Jim

David Drake’s legendary Raj Whitehall/The Generalseries, stunningly reborn!In a world of muskets, bows and arrows,and reptile riding nomads, ayoung warrior fights against a totalitarian computer devoted to stasis.

ABEL DASHIAN'S WORLD DOESN'T NEED A HERO

Duisberg is one of thousands of planets plunged into darkness and chaos by the collapse of the galactic republic, but where other worlds have begun to rebuild a star-travelling culture, Duisberg remains in an uneasy balance between mud-brick ci

Rena McGee
The Heretic is the latest in the long-running General series by David Drake and one of several writers. (The original series was co-written with S.M. Stirling. The first book in the latter series was co-written with Stirling, but Drake has switched co-writers since them.) I do not recommend the original series unless you are completely acclimated to Stirling’s early work, which was heavy on the “I have to show you how grotty and violent the world is with graphic eroticized sexual violence.”)

The...more
Andreas
continuation of The General Series, this book takes place on the world of Duisberg, a fallen human colony reduced to pre-industrial times. Due to an extremely dry climate, civilization is concentrated around a single river, much like it is by the Nile in Egypt. Outside The Valley, nomadic barbarians roam the badlands. In an interesting twist, a malfunctioning planetary management computer is attempting to keep things in stasis, eking out survival for humanity, if not progress and success. As in...more
Neil
Sep 07, 2013 Neil rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: sci-fi
As stated on its cover, this book continues 'The General' series started by David Drake and S.M. Stirling. It is a worthy addition to the series - it has the added twist of Raj and Center facing off with a lower-generation computer controlling a planet. I think this twist will open up other alternatives that the previous books did not have.

The book starts out with Raj and Center introducing themselves to a six-year old who still mourns his mother's death. Believing the voices in his head intend...more
Sharon Michael
Might give this another half star if that was an option but it is not nearly up to the standards of the first books in the Raj Whitehall series. I have read all of the books so far in the series, which is the reason I got this one. While it is a decent addition to the series, it does fall short of most of the others for me, probably about on a level with "The Chosen".

Decent plot line and good characters for the most part but the Center/Raj entity just did not have the 'personality' I've come to...more
Peter Brickwood
Drake seems to be training a co-writer to take over his excellent "General" series. This book is engaging and it remains to be seen if the co-author Tony Daniel will be able to produce the same kind of enjoyable military science fiction that Drake has produced for decades.

The premise is that a supercomputer which survived an apocalypse and then gets into suitable young men's minds to train them to be superb military commanders. It works. This is an enjoyable read.

David Drake is Vietnam veteran....more
Doug
I read this one when it first came out about a year ago (I think?) I found myself reading a few of the chapters online (at the publishers website - Baen books) and I was interested enough to wonder where the plot would turn next. This is an off-shoot of the the David Drake/SM Stirling 'The General' series which I've quite enjoyed. If memory serves, this one was 'fair to middlin' (enough to keep me reading anyway) and I'm looking forward to the next one.
Jesse Mcconnell
I'm a huge fan of the series, and this one was good, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. But, I enjoyed it mainly because it was part of the larger series/universe.

I could nitpick it, but the summary is that the book doesn't pop out at me like the others did. Raj and Center are a bit on the "flat" side of things -- I keep expecting their characters to chime in at points where they don't and their contributions are minimal beyond moving the story forward. They have odd places where Center gives visions...more
Friedrich Haas
I rather liked it. There were some very good scenes and words spoken just as I would have done them. I look forward to the next one on this planet and maybe others from the series.
Chris
The Raj Whitehall books (The General, etc.) were some of Drake's best books. I eagerly waited the release of this book and was extremely disappointed. The pacing seemed choppy and the quality was not even close to what you normally get from David Drake. I can only suppose that this was mostly written by the additional author listed on the cover with the concept taken with Drake's permission. i should have waited to get it free at the library instead of wasting money on it.
Dale (Aus)
I enjoyed this book. It remained consistent with the original General series but with a frsh perspective and I look forward to more in this series as I expect a followup given the finish to the story.

The characters and the settings are interesting and the conflicts are believable.
Carl Heinz
This book appears to have been written by Tony Daniel based on the original series by David Drake and has the same feel and flavor of those books.

It is good to see The General series being continued. I enjoyed this book-it was a good read.
David Campbell
A decent addition to the series, but that's about it. Not up to the standards of the first books and is obviously mostly written by a new author. Not bad though, and I'd read another - but wouldn't read this one if I didn't already like the series.
David Marshall
As military SF goes, this is better than average. From me, that's high praise so if fighting is your thing, this book is for you.

Craig
Military SF that's just OK. Stock characters in a stock plot. Would read a sequel, which looks likely, but only if I had no more promising books waiting.
Grant
I'm afraid this series is slipping. While I can't point to anything "wrong" with the book per se, there is definitely the feeling that we've been here before.
Alvin
I liked the book. However, I wish that it actually ended instead of just stopping. I know the sequel will come out eventually, but still.
Joe Baganski
Decent enough. Good character development and nice to see Raj and Center back in a new adventure.
Bill
A sequel (certainly implied) is needed and would improve a good storyline.
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Chris Huntley
Chris Huntley marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Alan
Alan marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Jason
Jason added it
Jul 14, 2014
Jarod
Jarod added it
Jul 11, 2014
Tony Daniel is an author of science fiction novels, short stories, and radio dramas.

For the comic book author, see Tony S. Daniel.
More about Tony Daniel...
Metaplanetary Superluminal Devil's Bargain Guardian of Night Free Stories 2012 (Baen Books)