Start by marking “The Immune System Recovery Plan: A Doctor's 4-Step Program to Treat Autoimmune Disease” as Want to Read:

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  416 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Among the most prevalent forms of chronic illness in this country, autoimmune disease affects nearly 23.5 million Americans. This epidemic is a result of the toxins in our diet, exposure to chemicals, heavy metals, antibiotics, and unprecedented stress levels. It has caused millions to suffer from autoimmune conditions such as Graves' disease, rheumatoid arthritis, Crohn's ...more
Published April 2nd 2013 by Scribner (first published March 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Immune System Recovery Plan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Immune System Recovery Plan

Having a more rare auto immune condition which can't be cured, I found this book helpful.

While it repeats what I have already learned from other sources regarding wheat and gluten and why we are seeing more sensitive to it now, it also connects the average American diet's over consumption of wheat at every meal, as well as sugar and unhealthy fats to autoimmune disease.

Autoimmune disease is on the rise- and in these cases of immune systems attacking the body's own tissues you can reduce the eff
Iona  Stewart
This is an immensely valuable book for those with an auto-immune disease (I have several). The author, who is a doctor, herself developed Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, and this meant that she had to cure this auto-immune disease herself, since traditional medicine had no satisfactory answers.

She found out that the four steps to healing and preventing auto-immune disease are:

1) Using food as medicine
2) Understanding the stress connection
3) Healing your gut
4) Supporting your liver.

The ingestion of glut
This book is okay. While my personal experience is that diet does have a major impact on health, it doesn't follow that eating gluten is the root cause of all autoimmune diseases. Putting patients on elimination diets is great, but there are also people who just have messed up health and there's no magic bullet. Nor is it great to take a million supplements. There are some good recipes in the book and its worth a look, but I don't think the anti-gluten movement is fully researched.
I was especially interested in this as I have an autoimmune disease - MS - and am finding that diet really has an impact on my health. I understand now a lot about how the immune system works and (in the case of autoimmune disease) doesn't. Although I felt the information regarding MS was sorely lacking, I recommend this to anyone with an autoimmune disease -- and there are a lot of us.
I've been a health educator in the field of complementary and alternative medicine for a decade. If I were asked to recommend one book for someone seriously looking to improve their health, this would be it. Science-based and heart-centered, Susan Blum's book combines the very best of nutritional, mind-body, and functional medicine in a comprehensive healing plan. Terrific.
Mariah Cherem
If you're like me, the main reason you're looking at a review of a health book is to find out if it seems reliable/worth a try/useful vs. if it's somewhat hippie-dippy and not likely to help much.

Thankfully, this book is well written, cites its research (thank you!) so you can do your own critical appraisal if you wish, and does manage to pull together a lot of things that people with autoimmune or other overlapping conditions may know *with* additional/newer research and a practical protocol.

The recipes in this book alone make it worth the purchase price but it is so much more. I had discovered through trial and error much of what she recommends to be true. I wish I would have discovered the book earlier. It would have certainly helped me regain my health much sooner. It is a must read for anyone with autoimmune challenges or for those who have been told repeatedly by doctors that "nothing is wrong", yet you still feel like crap. As a person who has gone through it, I can assure you ...more
She seems to be saying that anyone with an autoimmune disease should just eat better and then it will just go away. It is your own fault if your body isn't working properly because you have been naughty and eating too much gluten. Just eat organic nuts and berries and you will be fine.
Maria Holland
This book was recommended to my by a friend when she heard about some health problems I was dealing with. I ordered it immediately and read it in a few days. I am just starting an elimination diet, but I was mostly impressed with the information it contained and the case it made.

One thing that was a huge sticking point for me was her (repeated!) claim that our ancestors “settled down to farming (only ten generations ago)”. This is clearly not factual. If it was in there only one time, you think
Jessica Summerton
This book has changed my life and I will continue to refer to it throughout. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's two years ago and have been struggling with thyroid issues for six years. It has been a difficult and challenging time trying to figure out what was wrong with me while trying to raise two little kids. I am so thankful to Susan Blum for providing me with the medical explanations and natural ways to go about trying to alleviate my symptoms and help me live a better and healthier life.
Dec 28, 2014 Velma rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Velma by: borrowed from Carlisle Douglas
Abandoned. Some interesting stuff, but not enough verification/citation. The Functional Medicine crowd, with whom Susan Blum affiliates herself, might be on to something, but as long as they muddy the waters with self-serving sales of the proprietary lab tests and supplements they tout, I can't accept their perspective as anything but the shill's pitch that it is. But, I'll keep the 'eat better food, move around more' tenets that they reminded me about.
This book was great if you've never read or researched anything on this topic. I found it to be very simple and not as I depth as other books but still was a great read for those just starting a journey and trying to sort themselves. Once on the path outlined by this book there are more advanced things to consider also for healing individual disease pathways. :-)
This is definitely one of the best autoimmune books I've read. My favorite thing about this book by far is her dedication to science. She puts in as much science as she can. In instances where she can't find a study she even said something along the lines of "it would make sense to quote a study here but there currently are none, hopefully there will be soon". That gave me a deep respect for her. Dr. Blum uses several anecdotes from her practice to put a face to the facts and make it more relata ...more
This is an all-around great read. It's informative without being too complex, it's interesting and it makes sense. It provides a simple and very approachable step-by-step plan to relieving digestive, auto-immune and other chronic disorder issues. She claims to have healed people with auto-immune diseases with her approach... I don't doubt this! But I think her expertise is what makes or breaks it... Even following her plan, I'm not convinced the average person could completely heal themselves as ...more
I started to have a bad feeling about this when she said more than once that humans have only been farming for ten generations. Seriously? Her doctorate definitely isn't in history.
Eire Boudicca
Good! I already know a lot of this stuff, but I still learned a few new things. I really like how the author focuses so much on supporting the liver and also the body's natural detoxing processes, and advocates a sensible and gentle approach instead of the fanatical detox fads that have been previously advocated. This is more in line with my way of thinking about natural health. I only gave it four stars though because she hates gluten so much - and I don't think that everyone needs to be on a g ...more
Amazing! I have Graves Disease and highly recommend for anyone with an autoimmune disorder.
Jul 11, 2015 J.D. marked it as to-read
Shelves: non-fiction
(I've edited this review since initially posting it.) So, while I don't like the self-promotion, the stories seemed to lack 'oomph' (for lack of a better term), and following her guidelines didn't initially work at all, for some reason I kept trying it. I figured, 'hey, even a clock that's broken and doesn't work is still right twice a day' (if it's analog, anyway). So first I got worse, following the guidelines she laid out, then I eased back on them, and much, much long after I stopped expecti ...more
This is a great resource for natural healing and thoughts on many health issues with special consideration to your immune system and immunological related disease.

I read this after months recovering from a condition and i was extremely low on energy after experiencing prednisone withdrawl. I literally did not feel energy late at night or early morning until i exercized to get the body flowing. This is after several tests that said i'm okay for someone having been through all that, a little high
Recommended reading for anyone living with an autoimmune condition. Very positive and empowering approach to helping manage an array of conditions, with helpful self-assessments and suggested remedies that are not quick fixes, but lifestyle changes aimed at finding-- and fixing-- he root causes of various conditions. While I'm not familiar with the type of medicine the author practices, I appreciate her approach mush more than that of some "specialists" who are content to keep treating my sympto ...more
Carol Surges
Sep 01, 2015 Carol Surges rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Beth Haight
This is an excellent book for people who are on the autoimmune spectrum. The author presents an even-handed approach to the problem offering multiple self-assessments to help readers identify where the source of their problems lie. She also gives instructions on how move ahead on the path to health.
Alex Strick van Linschoten
Practical, clear and lots of footnotes: what I like in a book. Just one in a series of approaches to autoimmune-related conditions, but Blum offers some ways forward and practical steps to try out with few downsides to them. Worth a read.
Marilyn Belsham
As someone who was recently diagnosed with not one but three serious and chronic autoimmune diseases, this book feels like a lifeline. It's written in a clear manner with simple instructions on how to not just manage autoimmune diseases, but to turn them around and actually get better.
Susan Gray
All right, so this plan can be hard, but I found some of the advice to be very helpful. It is a very thorough guide and explained some of the mysteries of autoimmunity sensibly. I wish there was more MS info, but this is such a good start that I now feel better educated to further pursue my healing.
Michele Bender
Love this book. It will change your health and your life.
There wasn't much that I didn't already know.
Don Weidinger
1 disease many colors, root cause stress chemicals diet-food, functional medicine approach, yellow hands and thyroid issue, 5A’s, gluten mercury less sugar, 3 week food test remove gluten dairy corn soy then add back 1, rice as gluten free, coconut oil, Tolstoy change world everyone change self no one, 18 months of therapy and nothing whereas happiness is inside job, soft belly, sit on tack, cdc 300 chemicals measured in humans, 61% lead lipsticks, mercury teeth chlorine aluminum in vaccine to a ...more
Brigid Farrell
Good, but a lot of stuff most conscientious eaters already know: gluten, dairy and corn are bad. This book adds soy to the mix. But there are a lot of useful tips about supplements and vitamins.
The author left out fibromyalgia. Preferred Amy Myers MD book on autoimmune diseases.
The autoimmune disease endemic in the US prompted me to read this book. I wasn't expecting to learn such valuable knowledge about the function of the immune system. In all its intricacies, Susan Blum does a fantastic job relaying the material. I can imagine it may be difficult for someone with no background in healthcare, but definitely worth a try! It may inspire you to stop treating your body like a garbage disposal; I'm still working on it.
  • The Antianxiety Food Solution: How the Foods You Eat Can Help You Calm Your Anxious Mind, Improve Your Mood, and End Cravings
  • Meals That Heal Inflammation: Embrace Healthy Living and Eliminate Pain, One Meal at a Time
  • The Wahls Protocol: How I Beat Progressive MS Using Paleo Principles and Functional Medicine
  • Digestive Wellness: How to Strengthen the Immune System and Prevent Disease Through Healthy Digestion
  • Clean Gut: The Breakthrough Plan for Eliminating the Root Cause of Disease and Revolutionizing Your Health
  • Hashimoto's Thyroiditis: Lifestyles Interventions for Finding and Treating the Root Cause
  • The Paleo Approach: Reverse Autoimmune Disease and Heal Your Body
  • The Autoimmune Solution: Prevent and Reverse the Full Spectrum of Inflammatory Symptoms and Diseases
  • Gut and Psychology Syndrome: Natural Treatment for Autism, ADD/ADHD, Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, Depression, Schizophrenia
  • The Autoimmune Epidemic: Bodies Gone Haywire in a World Out of Balance--And the Cutting-Edge Science That Promises Hope
  • The Diet Cure: The 8-Step Program to Rebalance Your Body Chemistry and End Food Cravings, Weigh t Gain, and Mood Swings--Naturally
  • The Hormone Cure: Reclaim Balance, Sleep, Sex Drive and Vitality Naturally with the Gottfried Protocol
  • The Anti-Inflammation Diet and Recipe Book: Protect Yourself and Your Family from Heart Disease, Arthritis, Diabetes, Allergies � and More
  • Encyclopedia of Healing Foods
  • Ultrametabolism: The Simple Plan for Automatic Weight Loss
  • Motivational Interviewing in Health Care: Helping Patients Change Behavior
  • Breaking the Vicious Cycle: Intestinal Health Through Diet
  • Why Stomach Acid Is Good for You: Natural Relief from Heartburn, Indigestion, Reflux and Gerd