Start by marking “The Christmas Box (The Christmas Box, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Christmas Box (The Christmas Box, #1)

The Christmas Box (The Christmas Box Trilogy #1)

3.96  ·  Rating Details ·  19,414 Ratings  ·  1,345 Reviews
Since it was first published, more than seven million people have been touched by the magic of The Christmas Box, a holiday classic that is as beloved in our time as A Christmas Carol was in Dickens's.

ebook, 20th Anniversary Edition, 128 pages
Published October 9th 2012 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Christmas Box, please sign up.

Data An inspirational tale about the true meaning of Christmas. About a young family that finds a 'fairy tale' living arrangement, and how they respond to…moreAn inspirational tale about the true meaning of Christmas. About a young family that finds a 'fairy tale' living arrangement, and how they respond to the gifts they receive (in particular an antique box that was meant to hold a bible).(less)

Angie
Dec 17, 2009 Angie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Someone just dropped off my "present" from the Relief Society. It's a copy of The Christmas Box. This is almost as bad as when the "gift" distributed at church on Mother's Day is a pamphlet about how good mothers should behave and then the dads get Snickers bars on Father's Day. At least they didn't leave a candy bar for Dan along with The Christmas Box for me this time. I bought a copy to read for a book club (and when I expressed my opinion as to the merit of this book at said book club, I fou ...more
Cindi
Dec 13, 2011 Cindi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
I read The Christmas Box by Richard Paul Evans yesterday afternoon. The best thing about it was that it was short. I feel a little like Elaine from Seinfeld when she hated the highly acclaimed "English Patient".

There must be something wrong with me. That's the only explanation, right?

Don't get me wrong. It's a sweet story. A sad story and a good reminder of what is really, truly important--especially at Christmas. I get the message. I gave my babies extra hugs last night.

So, maybe my real probl
Jessika
Usually, I'm not the type of person to cry over books. If I read something particularly sad, I usually end up sad for a little while, and then I'm over it. I'm not quite sure what it was about this book--but I ended up in tears. Sure, the ending was sad, but it was beautiful, as well. I have a younger brother, so the message that Mary was trying to make really hit home for me--about loving what we have because we don't know how much longer we'll have it. It's so true that oftentimes, everyone ge ...more
Chandler
Dec 08, 2008 Chandler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This was a really sweet book. I loved the lesson learned of the true gift of Christmas, and the love that was shared between these people. It was a really fast read and very touching, I thought that it depicted the true meaning of Christmas in a wonderful way. We have all been given a wonderful gift of eternal life, and we should all acknowledge that fact on more than the occasion of Christ's birth.
Amberly
Dec 29, 2007 Amberly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm aware that this is now some sort of Utah-Cult-Classic, but I hated this book. It was way too sappy and way to warm and fuzzy for my liking. I probably gagged all the way through it. No offense to the whole children-dying thing that the book was trying to portray, I'm super sad for dying children, but.....
Raegan
Nov 21, 2014 Raegan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone and everyone.
Shelves: read-in-2014
Anyone that can read should read this book. This book has changed my life in a way words can't describe. You will just have to read it and find out yourself.
This was the first and only book that has made me cry. I don't know whether it was tears of joy or sorrow. A little of both I think. Makes you think about life. This book teaches you the true meaning of Christmas. To love and to cherish your family while you still have one. For love is eternal.
Wadwilkins
Dec 21, 2010 Wadwilkins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a total sap and bawled through the whole ending. It was good, but I was glad it was so short! Nice for the holidays.
Trina Williams
Feb 24, 2011 Trina Williams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club-books
Read this book in one setting and cried my eyes. Definitely a reality check at the end of the day!
Nina Diep Tran
Những tác phẩm mang tên Mùa Giáng Sinh thường mang đậm tính nhân văn trong cả cốt truyện, nhân vật và những gì có liên quan đến tác phẩm đó.

Chiếc hộp mở ra câu chuyện về cuộc sống giữa những ngày đông lạnh giá nhưng lại khiến lòng người ấm hơn khi trái tim người này ủ ấm trái tim của người khác.

So với những truyện khác viết cho thiếu nhi thì Chiếc Hộp Giáng Sinh cũng là một truyện nhẹ nhàng, nội dung giản dị. Nếu không kiên nhẫn đọc đến những trang sau của cuốn sách sẽ có cảm giác phần đầu hơi
K.D. Absolutely
34 days before Christmas! I just finished my first book hoping to start myself feel that Christmas mood!

I have around 10 Christmas-related books in my tbr shelf. Some of them, like Jan Karon's Shepherds Abiding and the two other books included in Charles Dicken's Christmas Books were from last year's horde. But I picked this one, bought only recently, as my first this year since I read and liked Richard Paul Evan's Grace: A Novel a few months back. Wiki says that this book, The Christmas Box mad
Kym McNabney
Nov 20, 2013 Kym McNabney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Before I purchase or read a book that I purchased on a whim, I go to Amazon and read a few reviews. Typically, a couple of the five star as well as the one star reviews, getting a feel for both spectrums. The few negative/one star reviews that I read for THE CHRISTMAS BOX, didn’t deter me. Why they believe the book to not be good wasn’t concerning enough. The second thing I do is go inside the book and read a few paragraph to get a feel for the authors writing style.

If there was ever a book I w
Karen
Nov 01, 2012 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book quite a few years ago and knew that this was a special author. I have read most, if not all, of his books over the years. In fact, during a recent move, I parted with most of the books on my bookshelf, but the RPE and the Nicholas Sparks all made the move. They are just special books that I love to share with friends and reread over time. This time, I read the Christmas Box aloud to my daughter. She looked forward to a chapter or two every evening and fell in love with the chara ...more
Filipa
Jan 07, 2014 Filipa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entrei eu numa Bertrand em Dezembro, para ver as novidades e se havia alguma pechincha quando me deparo com uma caixa de madeira com o título "A arca de Natal".
Eu, uma maníaca pela época, peguei logo logo nele e li a sinopse. Não que o fosse deixar lá quando o tema é o Natalinho, mas só para ver o que dizia. . .

Quando dei por mim estava a dirigir-me para a caixa e, como tinha dinheiro acumulado no cartão, ficou-me por apenas 8. Estava a prenda de Natal de mim para mim feita.

A arca de Natal é um
Julia
Honestly I thought this book was very... unprofessionally written. Evans would describe the setting with gigantic words and vivid colors that would jump out to you, but yet he could not describe people's actions correctly.

I felt like this story was less of a story and more of a review. All it did was tell. It was like reading a book about water marine animals- full of fact, lack of showing.

For example;

'Jenna looked up sadly.'
'Mary paused thoughtfully.'
'Mary looked up sadly.'
'She asked sleepily.
Scott
Jan 02, 2008 Scott rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Evil People
I never read this book, but I did see past of the movie. The woman scares me. It all started when I had a dream that I was in the dentist office and I was in the chair and she came in and asked, "you want your christmas box?" I said no, and she started the drilling. I remember that she was ugly, and scary and that I was strapped in and she drilled all over the place and there was blood and pain and I woke up in a cold sweat. That sense of helplessness is the worst part. She will always traumatiz ...more
Sean Smart
I was a bit disappointed overall. It was written well and I have read worse but it came across (to me at least) as a piece of American Evangelical Christian stories, similar to those Left behind novels that came out a few years ago and therefore I could not connect to it, nor feel very comfortable with it, although the story it self is fairly harmless. Not too much to do with Christmas it self either, more to do with a family situation.
Andrew Jacob Torres
Dec 30, 2015 Andrew Jacob Torres rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
During the holidays, I hate to admit that I get a bit of a callous heart. There's just so many moments that make me remember why Christmas will never be my favorite holiday. This being my first year of marriage, I thought it wouldn't hurt to try and read to begin a "first tradition". So of course I wanted to include reading something to do with the holidays and this was the first thing that I saw on the ground with an obvious reference to the holidays.

To be honest, I really liked this. I actual
Loraine
SUMMARY: Since it was first published, millions of people have been touched by the magic of The Christmas Box, a holiday classic that is as beloved in our time as A Christmas Carol was in Dickens's. When Richard Paul Evans wrote The Christmas Box, he intended it as a private expression of love for his two young daughters, Jenna and Allyson. Though he often told them that he loved them, he didn't feel that they could ever really understand the depth of his feelings until they had experienced the ...more
DAMON WINTERS
Dec 18, 2012 DAMON WINTERS rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Christmas Box is definitely a good read!
It is a story designed to put the importance of life back into proper perspective.
While this tale involves pain and death, it also involves tenderness and a sense of family commitment. It is an eye-opener to how easily we can become busy as individuals, letting mundane, urgent (although necessary) tasks replace our important responsibilities.

I read this book with my family of six (kids from age 9 to 15) and can say that while there were occasional groa
Anne
Dec 09, 2010 Anne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a very quick seasonal read, just over 100 pages long. The Christmas Box is a story that the author used to tell to his two daughters and is about the true meaning of Christmas.

A young couple and their 3 year old daughter move in with an elderly lady, they agree to clean and cook for her, in exchange they will get free lodgings in her huge mansion.

Richard, the husband, discovers a beautifully carved wooden box in the attic of the house which contains letters written in the early 1900s -
Donna
Nov 23, 2014 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

2.5 stars, but I will round up to 3 stars because it is trying to accomplish some good by emphasizing a thoughtful message for the Christmas season.

I read this many years ago. I even own a copy. I pulled it from a box, (yes a box,) while I was looking for something else. I read it again since the Christmas season is fast approaching. I liked what the author tried to accomplish with this book. He obviously was on a mission to prove a point. I can appreciate that, but this is NOT my kind of book.
Nov 04, 2011 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is another review of a book that will probably incite people to violence against me.

I read "The Christmas Box" this week, a "Top 5 Reads" from Debbie Macomber. It's a best selling book by a Christian man who created the story for his children then stumbled upon a national best seller.

I'm sorry, I know it's a touching and heartfelt story but it reads like the winning short story of a ninth grade High School student. My expectation of a book that sells successfully across the nation is at lea
Becca
Dec 09, 2014 Becca rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: holidays
Mercifully short.
Madison
Apr 25, 2010 Madison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Unfortunately, my mum packed it away with our Christmas decorations, but if I could, I'd read it RIGHT NOW! I usually don't cry over books. I believe there are only two other books that I had cried in. With others, if someone dies, I just say, "Aww... no!" and then get over it. But...

This book made me bawl like a BABY!

I loved this book either way, and it had a very good ending (though it was sad).

Clayton Tune
Feb 25, 2011 Clayton Tune rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By far the most moving of christmas books I've read. (Probably only read three). I will be honest, I went in to it thinking it may be a bit hyped up. Everyone used to talk about this book constantly. Gave it a shot. Was in tears by the end. If you're a father of a little girl... or even a little boy... or just want a good coffee reader by the fire... but especially you dads... this one is for you.

I probably over hyped it.
Sue
Jan 03, 2016 Sue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I happened to have a local radio station playing while getting myself ready for family festivities on Christmas Day. They were broadcasting this apparent semi-classic story that was totally unfamiliar to me. I got hooked! I then had to get the audible version to finish it that night and then I was inspired to buy the book to re-read next Christmas. I am now thinking the audio version was so engaging, I may just have to make a ritual of listening to it. Another widow story. She interviews and tak ...more
Polly Watson
Dec 23, 2012 Polly Watson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
*FYI: Spiritual as well as very personal content. Read at your own discretion:

THE CHRISTMAS BOX by Richard Paul Evans is a simple story about the true meaning of Christmas. Mary, the elderly woman in the story, truly GETS what Christmas is all about because, like God Himself, she gave (albeit unwillingly) her child's life. Anyone who has lost a child, knows and understand the sacrifice God made in sending HIS ONLY Son to live and die simply because He loves us so very much. Parents love their ch
Colleen
Jan 06, 2009 Colleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I don't often re-read books, but this is a book I have read now the last 3 Christmas'. It is an easy enjoyable read and best of all reminds me how important it is to cherish our children's childhoods. I keep it in my Chirstmas box - not the ornate nativity engraved box of this story but my big blue rubbermaid box. The story is about a young couple and their daughter who have outgrown their apartment and respond to an ad for a family to stay with a very wealthy elderly widow. They quickly realize ...more
Jaymee Pilarta
Nov 27, 2014 Jaymee Pilarta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"He sacrificed that which He loved most and sent His Son to earth on that Christmas day so long ago. And as long as the earth lives, and longer, that message will never die.

Though the cold winds of life may put a frost on the heart of many, that message alone will shelter the heart from life's storms."

This gem of a book was buried inside a thrift shop and I'm so glad I found it. Sometimes we do forget what Christmas is really about.
Lori Henrich
Dec 31, 2014 Lori Henrich rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this story! Always brings tears!

The Evans family answers an ad in the paper to move in to a resplendent home with an elderly woman. Requirements for the job aren't very difficult and Mary is easy to get along with. Mary sees that Richard is focused more on work than his family, so as Christmas approaches she tries to direct Richard to what is most important in life.

This was made into a movie, but it went slightly different than the book. It was good on it's own, but since the book is di
realistic Fiction 2 3 Jan 06, 2016 07:12PM
The Nooks of Books: The Christmas Box (The Christmas Box Trilogy #1) 1 3 Jan 28, 2015 06:24PM
Something Old, So...: December 2014 - The Christmas Box by Richard Paul Evans 1 3 Nov 30, 2014 10:02PM
I CAN'T WAIT FOR CHRISTMAS!!!!!! 5 26 Nov 10, 2014 12:39PM
  • The Christmas Blessing (Christmas Hope, #2)
  • Forgotten Carols: A Christmas Story & Songbook (Book Only)
  • Christmas Jars
  • Charlie's Monument
  • A Return to Christmas
  • The Paper Bag Christmas
  • The Christmas Candle
  • A Dog Named Christmas (A Dog Named Christmas #1)
  • Christmas Oranges
  • Truth Will Prevail (The Work and the Glory #3)
  • The Story of the Other Wise Man
  • The Unfinished Gift
  • Home for Christmas (Byrnehouse-Davies & Hamilton Saga, #8)
  • Christmas Rose
When Richard Paul Evans wrote the #1 best-seller, The Christmas Box, he never intended on becoming an internationally known author. His quiet story of parental love and the true meaning of Christmas made history when it became simultaneously the #1 hardcover and paperback book in the nation. Since then, more than eight million copies of The Christmas Box have been printed. He has since written ele ...more
More about Richard Paul Evans...

The Christmas Box Trilogy (3 books)
  • Timepiece (The Christmas Box, #2)
  • The Letter (The Christmas Box, #3)

“The smells of Christmas are the smells of childhood” 104 likes
“Denial, perhaps, is a necessary human mechanism to cope with the heartaches of life. ” 66 likes