Start by marking “The Hormone Cure: Reclaim Balance, Sleep, Sex Drive and Vitality Naturally with the Gottfried Protocol” as Want to Read:

Read Book* *Different edition

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  1,085 Ratings  ·  118 Reviews
ALL TOO OFTEN WOMEN ARE TOLD that feeling moody, asexual, tapped out, dried up, stressed out, and sleep deprived is just a part of being female. Or they’re led to believe that the answer can be found only at the bottom of a bottle of prescription pills. Dr. Sara Gottfried, a Harvard-educated physician and nationally recognized, board-certified gynecologist, refuses to acce ...more
Published March 12th 2013 by Scribner (first published March 5th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Hormone Cure, please sign up.

Ngaire
Mar 14, 2013 Ngaire rated it liked it
Update: So, I've had less luck with the recommendations in this book than I would have liked. I've had to give up the yoga, which I enjoyed, because it badly aggravated an old back injury to the point where I've had to get physical therapy on it. The chaste berry extract didn't seem to help my PMS much either - though I haven't been able to find the exact tincture Gottfried recommends, either. Overall, I would say that this book is a good introduction to hormone imbalances, but I think you reall ...more
Jo Ilfeld
Feb 09, 2013 Jo Ilfeld rated it it was amazing
I'm a huge believer that a pill doesn't cure everything (and often not even that much) and Dr Gottfried backs up this intuition but with a huge wealth of actual data and recommendations. It's like the Getting Our Bodies Back for the new millenium. Women who aren't satisfied with the answers (or in most cases non-answers) they are getting from their doctors are looking for real ways to feel better, more energized, sexier, lose weight and even handle peri-menopause. And that's what Dr Gottfried gi ...more
Aug 18, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health, 2013
There is a lot of great information in this book, presented in an easy-going and empowering manner. I found it a helpful springing off point for conversations with my doctor, a naturopath.

I bought and read this on Kindle. While it was great for reading on the bus, I really wish I had purchased it in paper. It's really hard to flip around in the book, which I wanted to do, repeatedly. I had no ability to copy pages so that I could refer to advice for my condition or bring them to my doctor - they
Talltree
Jan 01, 2016 Talltree rated it it was amazing
Shelves: z-nonfic
A great book for every woman to read: in order that she be healthier,live longer and with a better quality of life - and also to gift to her mom/sister/girlfriend - especially working women and moms!!
Ashley Thompson
Mar 16, 2013 Ashley Thompson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women over 20, not pregnant or breastfeeding
Finally, a doctor who addresses more than just treating the symptoms! Dr. Gottfried does an excellent job explaining various hormonal imbalances, why they occur, how they affect women, and provides practical solutions to fix them. She includes a comprehensive questionnaire to help you learn if you have a hormonal imbalance and what type (thyroid, high and/or low cortisol, low progesterone or estrogen, high androgens).

Her advice is more than just "try this or that, but seek out a doctor". She la
Gina
Sep 29, 2016 Gina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really annoying and I am relieved to be done with it.

It should not have been this way. There was good information on hormones and I did learn from it. Also, I understand that it would be a relief for a woman experiencing hormonal disruptions to get reassurance from this book. It was recommended by someone who was feeling some differences. I just had a lot of problems with it.

The first thing that was really off-putting was the Gottfried's own fat-phobia, which is featured really pro
Bree
Apr 15, 2013 Bree rated it it was amazing
If you're a woman, have a daughter, are married to a woman, plan to marry a woman, or have women friends, you should read this book. If you're a man with hormonal issues (adrenals, thyroid etc.) you would also benefit.

Written by a Harvard educated gynecologist who is also a yoga instructor, wife and mother, this book is the cutting edge of what is known about hormones. Everything is explained in terms that are easy to understand. I love that she utilizes lifestyle changes and herbal remedies (if
Kyria Sobrinho amtsfeld
May 28, 2016 Kyria Sobrinho amtsfeld rated it did not like it
Shelves: health
Oh lordy where to start. This book can be summed up into : Meditate, eat well, test hormones and try to boost what you are low in first naturally and if that is not possible, opt for bioidentical ones-strechted over 400 pages of blaaa. Peppered with tales of her grandmother mud who was an inspiration to here because she drank lemon water and looked fierce without realizing her grannie sounds like just another over-privileged California health-nut.
Overall this book can be hardly described as revo
Sue
Jun 23, 2014 Sue rated it it was amazing
To all my girlfriends:

If you are 35 or over, you need to read this book. I've read a lot about this sort of thing before, but she really nails it. She's a Harvard trained gynaecologist so she knows her stuff too (not that she learned any of this stuff at Harvard, which is the real problem as she readily discusses).

It contains valuable information for women who have to cope with changing hormone levels at the most stressful points of their lives.

The modern way of Western living is not doing us m
Anne Gruel
Jun 19, 2013 Anne Gruel rated it it was amazing
Excellent, thorough discussion of what hormones are, what they do, and what happens when they are out of balance in the body. I've been working through hormone treatments and adjustments for years, but even with the help of a great naturopath and a knowledgeable primary care physician my understanding was incomplete. No more!

The most useful information in the book for me were the details of how to test your hormone levels. Some you can do yourself. If you are working with a health care professi
Stacie
Apr 14, 2013 Stacie rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is an important book for women of all ages!

Women=hormones. If your hormones are fried (and likely they are if you don't get enough sleep on a regular basis, have basic life stress, eat too much sugar/gluten/dairy, and have ever taken the pill) - then you are fried. Our bodies function based on the delicate interplay of estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, cortisol, thyroid, etc. and understanding how they all work, interact, and can so easily get out of whack is critical to feeling great.
Judi Kling
Apr 04, 2013 Judi Kling rated it really liked it
It's an easy to understand book, with very practical solutions to balancing hormones. Dr. Gottfried recommends lifestyle changes and supplements before attempting pharmaceutical solutions. I really like that approach. That said, it's difficult to self-diagnose using just her questionnaires. As she explains, if your root cause is low progesterone, it can cause excess estrogen in parts of your cycle. You could be treating high estrogen, when the root cause is low progesterone. Without testing, you ...more
Mikala Hill
Apr 21, 2013 Mikala Hill rated it it was amazing
I'm reading this book not just for myself, but for others I love. It's so sad to me that we have been trained to believe that a pill is the answer for things, when these pills do nothing to repair the root problem: they simply turn off the body's "warning light." I should've gone to medical school. I should become a yoga instructor. I want the world to be a healthier and happier, more mindful place. ((Sigh)) I will share what I've learned with everyone who wants to hear it or doesn't read it for ...more
Bonnie
Mar 12, 2013 Bonnie rated it really liked it
This book is great! Thank-you Dr. Gottfried for validating that I'm not CRAZY! The book is structured so you can go straight to the part you need, or you can read all the scientific details (or not!). I love her practical, science-based approach. This is a must-read for any woman living in today's modern world.
Nicole Daedone
Mar 09, 2013 Nicole Daedone rated it it was amazing
Dr. Sara Gottfried has demystified my own body for me. At once scientific and intuitive, her work pushes the edges of traditional medicine to integrate what women have known throughout the ages. The Hormone Cure is both accessible and substantive, with surprisingly simple but profound advice on each page. It's a book every woman should read.
Yurique
Nov 17, 2015 Yurique rated it it was amazing
Very informative and resourceful. Though I studied hormones many years ago, this book was a real eye opener. I borrowed a copy from a public library, but I've decided to get my own copy. Kindle edition is not recommended.
Beth
Dec 02, 2014 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book saved my life. Seriously, the Gottfried Protocol works and I am more than thrilled that I've found some relief.
Kelliann Gomez
Mar 09, 2016 Kelliann Gomez rated it it was amazing
As someone with chronic illness, sometimes it seems like you're either being pumped full of pills between surgeries or being subjected to woo. There's seemingly no in-between sometimes.

This book is the in-between.

Everything is science-based. If there's no study specifically supporting her claims, Dr. Gottfried explains that. There is absolutely no woo in here.

Everything is simple with minimal side effects which are described in the book. I've been told that the best way to wrangle my crazy woman
Jenny
Mar 11, 2013 Jenny rated it it was amazing
A must-read for all women, Dr. Gottfried is brilliant, relatable and tells it like it is. Even women in their 20s can benefit from the wisdom here about how to listen to our bodies and address imbalances (stress, low sex drive, acne, etc) in a natural way without running straight to pills or prescriptions. What I love about this book is the way Gottfried absolves women of what many feel might be personal shortcomings or genetic life-sentences: Am I doomed to have low sex drive forever? Will I al ...more
Zoe
Dec 27, 2014 Zoe rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
So between turning 40 and 42 (in a month and a bit) I feel like my whole mind and body has completely broken down. I can't keep a thought in my head for 2 minutes and my desire to exercise is constantly being derailed by injuries. This book was recommended to me by a couple of different people whose opinions I respect. It is pretty much telling me things I have been feeling before reading this, eat more whole foods, do more yoga, etc. But it is a nice affirmation of the changes I have been conte ...more
Cheri
Jul 25, 2015 Cheri rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. I finally feel like I may know what's going on in my crazy body! I now have talking points with my doctor and husband as well as some strategies to implement to help with all the chaos. for me, it will be a matter of balancing work and home and self-care- isn't that everyone's battle though. she made this so easy to understand and talk about. great book to learn more for those of us who are easily confused by medical jargon. I will share this resource with others who have been diagnos ...more
Darci
Sep 18, 2015 Darci rated it it was amazing
Feels crazy to give this five stars. I don't do that often. I don't know if the book will pan out for others, but....my hot flashes are gone after working through her Gottfried Protocol. Life has improved amazingly since reading and applying her recommendations. That's worth five stars to me!

She goes into detail to a level that won't interest some, but always gives you the option of skipping those sections. I plan to keep this book in mind whenever I experience the symptoms she called out in her
Jen
Mar 12, 2013 Jen rated it it was amazing
Great info, so needed! Enjoyed Gottfried's writing style, fun and easy to understand. I like her approach with fixing the cause (usually stress related), looking to herbals and nutrients first and then, if and when needed, bio-identical hormones. Good layout so you can bop around to what you need or get more and read the deeper details. On target with hormone health and a great reference for all women!
Leianna
Mar 23, 2013 Leianna rated it it was amazing
Wow! Great book with tons of very important information on Women's Hormone Health and how that is affecting our body, mind and every day life, especially those near, in the midst of, or post menopausal. She gives very specific directions on how to balance your progesterone and estrogen levels, in order to help you heal and thrive from many ailments: Depression, Anxiety, Obesity, Dry Skin, thinning hair...and more.
Janet
Mar 15, 2013 Janet rated it it was amazing
Currently on the path of great health after a total physical crash at the end of December. Through lifestyle changes, nutritional overhaul, supplements, and an attitude change I am starting to feel alive again. Still have a ways to go, but with the help of this empowering book and being told I look great, as if ii was reversing the aging process, I will continue to heal myself and regain balance. A must read for all women!
Jean Thompson Williams
Feb 28, 2013 Jean Thompson Williams rated it it was amazing
There is a lot of good information here. Gives you, in detail, things to do. The best is that it doesn't start with medication. I hope that other doctor's read this so they can help others, instead of the old way which doesn't help at all. It also confirms that fact that what you eat as the biggest impact on your health. This is a manual more than just a book. It is something to use over and over, or to pass it on.
Jamie
Dec 04, 2014 Jamie rated it liked it
I think there is a lot of value in understanding the role hormones play with our mood, but I got really turned off of Dr. Gottfried's whole thing when one of her emails encouraged me to buy her protein powder stuff. What?! She's very much into her own branding, and that turned me off. I did get some insight by taking the online quiz and by skimming parts of this book.
Kirsti Call
May 26, 2013 Kirsti Call rated it it was amazing
This book is informative, well written and extremely useful. I've felt like my hormones were out of whack for the last several years and reading this book was not only illuminating, but also reaffirming of several insights into my health. This is a must read for any woman pre, peri or postmenopausal.
Karenwoolford27
Apr 06, 2015 Karenwoolford27 rated it liked it
Good, sensible plan that would undoubtedly be healthy; however I find this too involved for me. I usually shy away from any plan that cuts out certain foods, even for a few days. My own experience says that The old wisdom was right: "moderation in all things." To be truly beneficial, any eating plan must be doable; this one is just too involved for me.
texast
May 03, 2015 texast rated it it was ok
Shelves: reference
I have mixed feelings about this book. Some of the information was helpful, but in general it was overwhelming. It's a stretch to say the author has a cure for hormone dysfunction. Kind of a misleading title.
  • WomanCode: Perfect Your Cycle, Amplify Your Fertility, Supercharge Your Sex Drive, and Become a Power Source
  • The Wahls Protocol: How I Beat Progressive MS Using Paleo Principles and Functional Medicine
  • Balance Your Hormones, Balance Your Life: Achieving Optimal Health and Wellness through Ayurveda, Chinese Medicine, and Western Science
  • The Adrenal Reset Diet: Strategically Cycle Carbs and Proteins to Lose Weight, Balance Hormones, and Move from Stressed to Thriving
  • Dr. John Lee's Hormone Balance Made Simple: The Essential How-to Guide to Symptoms, Dosage, Timing, and More
  • The Cortisol Connection: Why Stress Makes You Fat and Ruins Your Health � And What You Can Do About It
  • The Fourfold Path to Healing: Working with the Laws of Nutrition, Therapeutics, Movement, and Meditation in the Art of Medicine
  • Digestive Wellness: How to Strengthen the Immune System and Prevent Disease Through Healthy Digestion
  • The Body Ecology Diet: Recovering Your Health and Rebuilding Your Immunity
  • Mind Over Medicine: Scientific Proof That You Can Heal Yourself
  • The Paleo Approach: Reverse Autoimmune Disease and Heal Your Body
  • The Immune System Recovery Plan: A Doctor's 4-Step Program to Treat Autoimmune Disease
  • The Blood Sugar Solution: The UltraHealthy Program for Losing Weight, Preventing Disease, and Feeling Great Now!
  • Magical Beginnings, Enchanted Lives: A Holistic Guide to Pregnancy and Childbirth
  • Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar, and Survival
  • Hashimoto's Thyroiditis: Lifestyles Interventions for Finding and Treating the Root Cause
  • Foolsgold: Making Something from Nothing and Freeing Your Creative Process
  • Meals That Heal Inflammation: Embrace Healthy Living and Eliminate Pain, One Meal at a Time
Sara Gottfried, MD  is the  New York Times  bestselling author of The Hormone Cure  (Simon & Schuster, 2013) and  The Hormone Reset Diet (HarperOne, 2015).  After graduating from Harvard Medical School and MIT, Dr. Gottfried completed her residency at the University of California at San Francisco. She is a board-certified gynecologist who teaches natural hormone balancing in her novel online p ...more
More about Sara Gottfried...

“Science has proven that while your genes control your biology, a rather simple, nondrug formula of nutrient-rich food, targeted supplements to address missing precursors, and lifestyle changes can keep your genes in perpetual “repair” mode.” 5 likes
“Hormonal problems are the top reason I find for accelerated aging,” 3 likes