Start by marking “A Winter Dream” as Want to Read:
A Winter Dream

A Winter Dream

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,436 Ratings  ·  560 Reviews
From wonderful storyteller and author of the bestselling phenomenon The Christmas Box, a new holiday novel based on the story of Joseph and the coat of many colors.

Joe is forced out of the family business by his jealous siblings. Moving on to another company, he soon becomes chief advisor to the CEO. But when the economy turns, Joe’s siblings need his help to save the fami
Audiobook
Published October 30th 2012 by Simon & Schuster Audio (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Winter Dream, please sign up.

Mara I am not sure if anyone has or not, but I read it recently and loved how Evans retold the Joseph story, setting it in corporate America. Did you enjoy…moreI am not sure if anyone has or not, but I read it recently and loved how Evans retold the Joseph story, setting it in corporate America. Did you enjoy it?(less)
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Fault in Our Stars by John GreenDivergent by Veronica RothThe Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyThe Help by Kathryn Stockett
Your Top 5 Reads in 2012
161st out of 667 books — 855 voters
A Christmas Carol by Charles DickensHow the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussThe Night Before Christmas by Clement C. MooreThe Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgLittle Women by Louisa May Alcott
Best Christmas-Themed Books/Stories
305th out of 394 books — 505 voters

More lists with this book...

A. R.
Nov 03, 2012 A. R. rated it it was ok
I usually really like Richard Paul Evans' books. And I was genuinely looking forward to this one. I was anxious to see what he could do with a retelling of the Joseph of Egypt story. I was disappointed.

It was almost as if he were rushing to get the story told. Maybe he had a quick deadline. It read like a fact sheet instead of a story of man who was pushed out of his family. There was no time spent on the grief Joseph Jacobson must have felt as he realized his brothers were banishing him from hi
Michael
Mar 30, 2016 Michael rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Biblical story of Joseph and his favorites is my favorite story in the Bible. It is full of so much truth and forgiveness that one cannot comprehend how one does not weep. Needless to say, I was looking forward to reading this book, told from that perspective. I am known to have a critical eye to Christian books,but this was not really in that category. I guess if you take into account that it was written from a biblical standpoint,but I digress.

In the initial pages, I thought that it starte
Emily  (ObsessedReader)
This may just be my favorite Richard Paul Evans book so far. I was able to relate to many things about this story, and it was such a pleasure to read. Evans' writing is so profound and totally unforgettable. Definitely read this!
Maxine
Nov 23, 2012 Maxine rated it did not like it
Paula  Phillips
Dec 26, 2012 Paula Phillips rated it it was amazing
I have to say when it comes to inspirational fiction and tales, one of my all-time favourite authors would have to be Richard Paul Evans , his stories though they may be quick reads are utterly amazing and will have you sitting back and thinking as well as leaving the reader captivated as you hurriedly turn through the pages.
A Winter Dream is a modern day rendition of the biblical story "Joseph and the Technicolour Dreamcoat". A hard story to re-capture into modern day but Richard Paul Evans ha
Jinky
Feb 22, 2013 Jinky rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
(2.5)
Richard Paul Evans is one of my favorite authors and I turn to his books for a good feel read. This book had a lot of potential given it aligned with the biblical story of Joseph who was sold into slavery by his brothers. But this Joseph, Joseph Jacobson, was disappointingly passive. He was quick to accept the extortion from his brothers without a fight or question or depth of feeling. Yes, he did it so that his younger brother, Ben, would not face potential jail time but going along with i
Linda
Dec 18, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas
This not really a Christmas book but it does have a few events that take place around Christmas so it could fit.

Richard Paul Evans, as always creates a very believable situation with amazing characters. In this case Joseph Jacobson is the main character, a man with 11 brothers and one sister. They all work at the family ad agency, though not happily in some cases. The jealous older brothers manage to make Joseph go away. He leaves reluctantly but in leaving he finds who he really is and he finds
Sara
Nov 23, 2012 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Life's greatest lessons are often those we most wished to avoid."

I really enjoyed this book. It is based off of the story of Joseph who was sold by his brothers in Egypt. I found it funny how a lot of the names were the same. I knew where the story was going and when things would change, but it did not take from the story for me. It is a great tale that life does not always go where you plan on, and sometimes we have many surprises and disappointments. But sometimes it is also for the best and
Donna
Jul 14, 2015 Donna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jill
Nov 10, 2012 Jill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
This is the story of dreams, of a man named Joseph, favored son of a man named Israel, and a very special coat. Sound familiar? Of course it does … it’s from Genesis chapters 37-50. It is also from Richard Paul Evans’ long-awaited holiday offering, A Winter Dream. As he did with Lost December last year, Evans gives us a modernized story based on a beloved bible story and does it beautifully. In A Winter Dream, the main character is Joseph Jacobson (Jacob being another name for Israel) and he is ...more
Darlene

I discovered Richard Paul Evans last year, when I listened to The Christmas List. I loved it so much that I vowed to read at least one Evans book each Christmas. I was thrilled to be given the opportunity to review his latest holiday story.

A Winter Dream is the modern-day retelling of the biblical story, Joseph and The Coat of Many Colours. In this version, Joseph "JJ" Jacobson is a 29 year-old man. He is the 12th of 13 children with 11 brothers and one sister. His father, Israel "Izzy" Jacobson
Heather Scheer
Mar 22, 2013 Heather Scheer rated it really liked it
This book was written by one of my favorite authors. Every one of his books has been on the New York Times bestseller list. He seems to take the events out of someone's ordinary life and is able to turn it into a meaningful story.
Joseph Jackson, or JJ as his friends and family call him, has 12 siblings. His father is CEO of the family run advertising business in Colorado. JJ is his father's favorite and has a really keen eye and talent for advertising. His brothers are quite jealous; they belie
Louise
Jan 03, 2013 Louise rated it it was amazing
Story Description:

Simon & Schuster|October 30, 2012|Hardcover|ISBN: 978-1-2803-6

The author of the bestselling phenomenon ‘The Christmas Box’ presents a new holiday novel about family, fate and forgiveness. Joseph Jacobson is the twelfth of thirteen siblings, all of whom are employed by their father’s successful Colorado advertising company. But underneath the success runs a poisonous undercurrent of jealousy; Joseph is his father’s favourite son and the focus of his brother’s envy and hatred
Danielle
Jan 07, 2013 Danielle rated it really liked it
Well, if you know the story of Joseph, or have seen the musical, there aren't many surprises in this book.

However, I don't read Richard Paul Evans for surprises; that's what I have crime novels for. I read Richard Paul Evans for feel-good books that give me warm fuzzies and make me remember why humanity isn't all bad, and on that front, this book delivered.

The only reason I gave it four stars instead of five: I thought the inclusion of April was ... a little unnecessary, honestly. I wouldn't hav
Ali Saeeed
Apr 12, 2013 Ali Saeeed rated it it was amazing
Winter dreams should definitely be recommended to every high school student because is one of the best books that was ever published. The book has all kind materials and traits that makes a book interesting and read. Once you read this book you will not be able to stop until the end because the story is very well connected. The book has not hard or difficult to read at all because it is clear and at the same time excited. The author of the book, F. Scott Fitzgerald, did an incredible job making ...more
Diana
Dec 10, 2015 Diana rated it really liked it
What a wonderful story. I absolutely love Richard Paul Evans ability to tell a story. This was a modern day retelling of Joseph and his coat of many colors. It as brilliant! I felt like I was part of the story and that's what makes it so good. Loved it!!
Sharon Chance
Dec 17, 2012 Sharon Chance rated it it was amazing
I was absolutely charmed by "A Winter Dream." I loved the way that Richard Paul Evans took the Biblical story of Joseph and his coat of many colors and adapted the story for today's readers. Evan's cast of characters are warm and personable, and the fast-moving story draws the reader in from the very first and doesn't let go until the end. It was an enthralling tale.

This is a story of faith, hope, and love, and I personally think it is one of Evan's best books to date!

If you are look for a holid
Dad
Sep 22, 2014 Dad rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
This was one of the best books I have ever read. At 266 pages, it was not preponderous to read and it caught my attention right at first. It packed excitement and made me want to find out what happened. It was imaginative. It did have a love story with April and Joseph that was so fascinating. I have not read Richard Paul Evans for a long time, but as I read remembered how choice his "Christmas Box" was. Joseph was a person who didn't sweat the situations he was in but made the most of them. The ...more
Sheri
Dec 09, 2014 Sheri rated it really liked it
Like the other Richard Paul Evans books I have read, I finished this book wanting to know WHAT NEXT?! Ha ha! But I guess that is the telling of a good book, when you are so enthralled in a character and their life that you want to keep following them until the end of it.

I love reading Evans' books because they teach you so much. Not just about life and/or morals (though I love these aspects of his books...) but I learn factual things, geographical things, things about the advertising industry -
Kathy Chung
the plot is like the bible story of Joseph and the colorful coat. the difference being that it is told with a modern twist. Jealousy, envy and forgiveness are still on the plate.

the first 50 pages or so was not convincing for me. in this modern day how could such an absurd threat makes Joseph drop everything?

I liked the part where Joseph met new friends and his adventures with April. however, I find that it is unconvincing on how Joseph acted after he knew the truth. if it is true love, wouldn'
Dave
Jan 02, 2015 Dave rated it liked it
Good story based on Joseph and the Amazing Technocolor Dreamcoat. Fun read.
Rebecca
Dec 10, 2012 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: holiday-reads
Time after time Richard Paul Evan is a great storyteller. I loved this modernized telling on Jospeh and his Coat of many colors. There are so many great quotes in the book. I loved reading it during this Christmas season. I was drawn to the character and found myself wanting to see where Joseph and April go with their life with raising their children.
Francie
Dec 30, 2012 Francie rated it it was amazing
I always love Richard Paul Evans books. Look forward to his Christmas book every year. I haven't read the Walk series but plan too as soon as I can. I never buy his books because my daughter get's them for me for Christmas but I think she has missed out on the series. This book was a modern story of the bible story of the prodigal son .
Chris
Jan 10, 2013 Chris rated it really liked it
I started it one day and finished it the next night. Love when I can do that.
While I'm not a particularly a religious person, I do have a lot of beliefs garnered from several different religions. That said, I love RPE books. Always a good story and usually a quick read, which is a really nice thing once in awhile.

Betty
Apr 19, 2015 Betty rated it liked it
Sweet, moralistic, take no prisoners, offend no one book. A book you can take home to mother. In fact, Mother probably recommended it.

This was a substitute book for our book club having dropped a more controversial book from the list for the month of May. This was certainly a SAFE book.

This was so safe it would make an excellent bedtime reading book for anyone. No nightmares here.

JJ was caught between a rock and a hard place and made the best of a difficult situation. There were consequences su
Paula3
Jun 21, 2015 Paula3 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy books by Richard Paul Evans. They are very hopeful, yet easily predictable stories. This book was loosely based on the biblical story of the the prodigal son. The pace of the book kept me engaged the entire time. Easy, but good read.
Jan 02, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Another great Richard Paul Evans book. I really enjoyed this one and I'd recommend it to all of my friends. It was a simple yet thought provoking story. It's one of those stories that makes you what to do more and be more.
Grace
Feb 19, 2014 Grace rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was good...but very predictable. I would say not one of his best. A nice holiday book, but nowhere near the caliber of The Christmas Box, all in all a good read while in a dr. office for 2 hours! :)
Brittany
Dec 31, 2015 Brittany rated it really liked it
I enjoy reading these modern Bible stories. I read Lost December first and loved it! This story was as equally clever, detailed, and engaging as Evans' books usually are. I am giving it four stars because I thought the reunion with his brothers and forgiveness was a little rushed. Maybe I was reading it too fast, but I didn't feel too emotionally engaged through such a scene. It would have been nice to have Joseph struggle with his forgiveness, have his emotions towards his brothers build up. He ...more
Marianne
Dec 26, 2013 Marianne rated it it was ok
It's not the holiday season without some Richard Paul Evans but this book was a snoozer and lacked any surprises.
  • The 13th Day of Christmas
  • The Christmas Note
  • Angels at the Table (Angels Everywhere, #7)
  • The Snow Angel
  • An Irish Christmas
  • Christmas with Tucker
  • The Christmas Clock
  • An Amish Gift: A Novel
  • The Christmas Child: A Story of Coming Home
  • Remembering Christmas
  • A Season of Angels (Cape Light, #13)
  • The Quiet Little Woman: Tilly's Christmas, Rosa's Tale : Three Enchanting Christmas Stories
  • The Paper Bag Christmas
When Richard Paul Evans wrote the #1 best-seller, The Christmas Box, he never intended on becoming an internationally known author. His quiet story of parental love and the true meaning of Christmas made history when it became simultaneously the #1 hardcover and paperback book in the nation. Since then, more than eight million copies of The Christmas Box have been printed. He has since written ele ...more
More about Richard Paul Evans...

“My Dear Son,
I am so very proud of you. Now, as you embark on a new journey, I'd like to share this one piece of advice. Always, always remember that - adversity is not a detour. It is part of the path.

You will encounter obstacles. You will make mistakes. Be grateful for both. Your obstacles and mistakes will be your greatest teachers. And the only way to not make mistakes in this life is to do nothing, which is the biggest mistake of all.

Your challenges, if you let them, will become your greatest allies. Mountains can crush or raise you, depending on which side of the mountain you choose to stand on. All history bears out that the great, those who have changed the world, have all suffered great challenges. And, more times than not it's precisely those challenges that, in God's time, lead to triumph.

Abhor victimhood. Denounce entitlement. Neither are gifts, rather cages to damn the soul. Everyone who has walked this earth is a victim of injustice. Everyone.

Most of all, do not be too quick to denounce your sufferings. The difficult road you are called to walk may, in fact be your only path to success.”
35 likes
“Life is the soil, our choices and actions the sun and rain, but our dreams are the seeds.” 3 likes