Start by marking “Home by Dark” as Want to Read:
Home by Dark

Home by Dark (Watcher in the Dark #1)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  24 reviews
The past can catch up to you....

Rachel Weaver Mason is finally going home to Deer Run, the Amish community she left behind so many years ago. Recently widowed, she wants desperately to create a haven for herself and her young daughter. But the community, including Rachel’s family, is anything but welcoming.

The only person happy to see her is her teenaged brother, Benjami

Published December 18th 2012 by Harlequin HQN

To ask other readers questions about Home by Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home by Dark

Sworn to Silence by Linda CastilloBreaking Silence by Linda CastilloPray for Silence by Linda CastilloA Plain Death by Amanda FlowerFalling to Pieces by Vannetta Chapman
Amish Mysteries
21st out of 46 books — 31 voters
Temptation by Karen Ann HopkinsBelonging by Karen Ann HopkinsLamb to the Slaughter by Karen Ann HopkinsForever by Karen Ann HopkinsA Widow's Hope by Mary  Ellis
The Plain Way of Life
14th out of 69 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Rhonda
4 STARS
Home by Dark is full of drama,some normal life and some scary stuff. Enough to keep you in the dark about what was going on till the end of the story. It is also a clean read.
Rachel Weaver Mason and her 9 year daughter are moving back to her hometown of Deer Run. The Amish community she left when she married out of the Amish into the English world. Her mother-in-law left her home to Rachel. Which surprised her because she did not approve of her son marring a Amish girl and kicked him out
Misty Baker
** As posted on KindleObsessed blog **

A few weeks ago I was wandering aimlessly through my favorite bookstore when I was struck with this overwhelming need to read a simple (not simple-minded) clean romance.

My husband, who is used to seeing me peruse shelves of a much darker variety (aka: Science Fiction/Fantasy or even Horror) was shocked when he finally found me staring transfixidly at the Christian Fiction aisle. I’m in no way opposed to this section of the store mind you, but it’s a bit of
Carolyn E
As always, another exciting book from Marta Perry. Home by Dark is the first book in a new Amish series. It is another delightful mystery that takes place in Deer Run, Pennsylvania. I am looking forward to more books in this series. I recommend it to everyone, especially those of you who are fans of Amish fiction.
MarciaB - Book Muster Down Under
Synopsis
“Rachel Weaver Mason is finally going home to Deer Run, the Amish community she left behind so many years ago. Recently widowed, she wants desperately to create a haven for herself and her young daughter. But the community, including Rachel's family, is anything but welcoming. The only person happy to see her is her teenage brother, Benjamin, and he's protecting a dark secret that endangers them all.

Determined to keep Benjamin safe from a suspected killer, Rachel has no choice but to tur
IrenesBookReviews
Moving back to the place she left would not be easy but Rachel decides it is what is best for her and her daughter. Her mother-in-law has left her a house to live in and it seems the perfect time to make the change. Her brother is one of the few people in her familiar Amish community to welcome her back. He seems upset by something though and that is when the real action of the story begins. Colin, a friend of Rachel’s late husband, stops by and their relationship is the little bit of romance in ...more
Debbie
Home By Dark by Marta Perry gets 5 stars. This is the first book I have read by Marta Perry. I have to be honest and say that at first I didn't like it but I keep reading it because we were going to be discussing it in an online book club I am in. I had heard some people liked it and some people didn't and I was curious about it and I am the type of person that needs to finish a book once I start it. The book is about Rachel (who was raised Amish) comes back to Deer Run and discovers that her br ...more
Holly
I'm not entirely sure what I was 'expecting' from this story - but when I looked at everyone's comments I guess I was expecting this whole big mystery style book that would keep me enthralled and intrigued at every turning page. I found it slow moving, predictable, never really kept my interest. Did I finish it? Yes....I kept waiting for the suspect to grab me - which it never did. We simply kept rolling along.......and along......and along....until we were at the end....
Holly
Rachel Mason has returned to Deer Run with her nine year old daughter in tow. She becomes reacquainted with her younger brother, 14 year old Benj and suspects there is something bothering him, but decides to try to wait to confront the problem until it becomes clear she and her daughter are also in danger. She and Colin, her late husband's friend fight to solve creepy happenings in their small town. Can they solve the mystery in time?
This was a lighter suspense novel, perfect for a person like
Darlene Torday
Enjoyed this story. Nice to see her family start to accept her not being Amish. Good falling in love story without rushing the romance. Nice mystery that had me guessing exactly what was happening on top of the hill.
Liz
A good comfortable read

ANOTHER Amish story with a good mystery surrounding it. This story was a good one to read on a rainy damp dreary day. Very comforting.
Cindy Barnett
I like this author's stories and writing style. Will read her again. Recommended for cozy and romance readers.
Sherri
Marta Perry delivers yet again! A little suspense, nostalgia, romance, redemption and justice all rolled into one beautiful package. If you are a "Marta fan," you will love Home by Dark. This story quickly pulled me in and I didn't want to put it down. I particularly enjoyed the Amish/English story line. Living in a small town myself, I could completely relate to the atmosphere of Deer Run. I can't wait for the sequel!

*****I received this book from the first read Goodreads giveaway. The opinions
Shirley
Generally like the plots with these Marta Perry books, and that is what keeps me reading--the Amish background and the mystery aspect, but too much of a romance book for me to rate higher.
Kristi
This book was the first in the 3 book amish series and was pretty good. There were parts of it that I thought were kind of drug out and I lost interest but It would pick right back up.
Shannon
I received my first read book free from goodreads giveaway. This was a very pleasant story about family, but it also included a mystery as well which was a good twist to the book, I enjoyed this story and would read more from this author, thanks for the giveaway which was also a signed copy, I really appreciated this even though I am not a big fan of Amish stories I liked this one and would recommend to family and friends.
Dee
Great book! Can't wait to read the second one.
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: Watcher in the Dark
Category: Suspense
"Set within the Amish community, with a strong, sympathetic heroine at the center of a suspenseful plot, Perry's story hooks you immediately. Her uncanny ability to seamlessly blend the mystery element with the contemporary themes makes this one intriguing read." RT Book Reviews, rated 4 stars.
Janie  R.

I always enjoy Marta Perry's Amish suspense/mystery stories. This is the 1st book of this series, it's fast paced reading,and keeps you on reading, as the book gets more suspenseful! Looking forward to the next book in the series!
Heidi
Home by Dark is another great read by Marta Perry. Her latest story about Rachel returning to Pennsylvania Amish country is filled with family and hope and a bit of mystery. It was just what I needed today.
Maryellen
I loved this book...I read Marta Perry whenever I can.....and it is so great that I actually KNOW this author!
Quillracer
Marta Perry never fails to tell a great story.

The proof is right here in Home By Dark.
Dawn
Another good book by Marta. She keeps you on the edge of your seat with the book.
PWRL
Feb 15, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-new
SM
Rita
Rita marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Elizabeth Dyck
Elizabeth Dyck marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
  • Fall from Pride (Home Valley, #1)
  • Accidentally Amish (Valley of Choice #1)
  • A Promise for Miriam (The Pebble Creek Amish, #1)
  • A Plain Death (Appleseed Creek, #1)
  • Living in Harmony (The New Beginnings, #1)
  • Daybreak (The Days of Redemption #1)
  • Johanna's Bridegroom (Hannah's Daughters, #6)
  • A Simple Spring (Seasons of Lancaster #2)
  • To Love and to Cherish (The Bliss Creek Amish #1)
  • Reckless Heart
  • Wild Horses (Sadie's Montana #1)
  • Missing Your Smile (Fields Of Home, #1)
  • Plain Secrets (Willow Trace, #1)
81993
Marta Perry is a Pennsylvania-based author of over 35 novels, many of them inspirational romances. She uses her rural Pennsylvania life and her Pennsylvania Dutch heritage in writing her books, especially in her Pleasant Valley Amish series for Berkley Books and her new Amish-set suspense series for HQN Books.

Marta and her husband live in a centuries-old farmhouse in a quiet central Pennsylvania v
More about Marta Perry...
Hide in Plain Sight (The Three Sisters Inn, #1) Leah's Choice (Pleasant Valley, #1) Murder in Plain Sight (Amish Suspense, #1) Anna's Return (Pleasant Valley, #3) Rachel's Garden (Pleasant Valley, #2)