Start by marking “Home by Dark” as Want to Read:
Home by Dark

Home by Dark (Watcher in the Dark #1)

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  234 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
The past can catch up to you....

Rachel Weaver Mason is finally going home to Deer Run, the Amish community she left behind so many years ago. Recently widowed, she wants desperately to create a haven for herself and her young daughter. But the community, including Rachel’s family, is anything but welcoming.

The only person happy to see her is her teenaged brother, Benjami

Published December 18th 2012 by Harlequin HQN

To ask other readers questions about Home by Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home by Dark

Sworn to Silence by Linda CastilloFalling to Pieces by Vannetta ChapmanBreaking Silence by Linda CastilloPray for Silence by Linda CastilloA Plain Death by Amanda Flower
Amish Mysteries
26th out of 56 books — 47 voters
Temptation by Karen Ann HopkinsBelonging by Karen Ann HopkinsForever by Karen Ann HopkinsPlain Perfect by Beth WisemanPlain Pursuit by Beth Wiseman
The Plain Way of Life
23rd out of 76 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Wendy
Mar 08, 2016 Wendy rated it really liked it
BACK OF THE BOOK BLURB

Determined to keep Benjamin safe from a suspected killer, Rachel has no choic
Jodie
Jan 02, 2015 Jodie rated it really liked it
When Rachel learns her late mother-n-law left to her the Mason House in her will, Rachel moves back to Deer Creek with her 9 year old daughter Mandy. Rachel is familiar with the community as it is where she grew up, until she decided to leave the Amish life. Now, needing to provide for her daughter, she is determined to make the Mason House a successful bed and breakfast.

Wow, Marta has such a way of drawing you into the suspense in the story. It doesn't immediately begin with a scare or edge of
Rhonda
Aug 27, 2014 Rhonda rated it really liked it
4 STARS
Home by Dark is full of drama,some normal life and some scary stuff. Enough to keep you in the dark about what was going on till the end of the story. It is also a clean read.
Rachel Weaver Mason and her 9 year daughter are moving back to her hometown of Deer Run. The Amish community she left when she married out of the Amish into the English world. Her mother-in-law left her home to Rachel. Which surprised her because she did not approve of her son marring a Amish girl and kicked him out
Gloria
Mar 06, 2016 Gloria rated it it was amazing
Rachel Weaver Mason returns to Deer Run when her mother in law passes away and leaves her home to Rachel and her nine year old daughter, Mandy. Rachel was raised Amish but fell in love and ran off to marry Ronnie Mason, an Englischer, against the wishes of her family and Ronnie's as well. Ronnie was killed in a wreck so mother and daughter have moved back to Deer Run for a new start and to turn the Mason home into a bed and breakfast. No one really welcomes them back but Rachel's fourteen year o ...more
Linda Walters
I liked this story, just had to get used to the fact that it is a slower paced one. Slowly building some of the background stories of life when Rachel was still considered Amish. It also went on to show some of the struggles she was having on returning to the town. I liked the main characters, Rachel, her daughter Mandy and Colin. It seems Rachel and Colin have been laboring under more than one misunderstanding for years. Rachel just wants to get her life together, get her bed and breakfast up a ...more
Misty Baker
Oct 14, 2014 Misty Baker rated it liked it
** As posted on KindleObsessed blog **

A few weeks ago I was wandering aimlessly through my favorite bookstore when I was struck with this overwhelming need to read a simple (not simple-minded) clean romance.

My husband, who is used to seeing me peruse shelves of a much darker variety (aka: Science Fiction/Fantasy or even Horror) was shocked when he finally found me staring transfixidly at the Christian Fiction aisle. I’m in no way opposed to this section of the store mind you, but it’s a bit of
Carolyn E
Dec 31, 2012 Carolyn E rated it it was amazing
As always, another exciting book from Marta Perry. Home by Dark is the first book in a new Amish series. It is another delightful mystery that takes place in Deer Run, Pennsylvania. I am looking forward to more books in this series. I recommend it to everyone, especially those of you who are fans of Amish fiction.
Shannon
Dec 27, 2012 Shannon rated it liked it
I received my first read book free from goodreads giveaway. This was a very pleasant story about family, but it also included a mystery as well which was a good twist to the book, I enjoyed this story and would read more from this author, thanks for the giveaway which was also a signed copy, I really appreciated this even though I am not a big fan of Amish stories I liked this one and would recommend to family and friends.
MarciaB - Book Muster Down Under
Synopsis
“Rachel Weaver Mason is finally going home to Deer Run, the Amish community she left behind so many years ago. Recently widowed, she wants desperately to create a haven for herself and her young daughter. But the community, including Rachel's family, is anything but welcoming. The only person happy to see her is her teenage brother, Benjamin, and he's protecting a dark secret that endangers them all.

Determined to keep Benjamin safe from a suspected killer, Rachel has no choice but to tur
IrenesBookReviews
Jan 09, 2013 IrenesBookReviews rated it really liked it
Moving back to the place she left would not be easy but Rachel decides it is what is best for her and her daughter. Her mother-in-law has left her a house to live in and it seems the perfect time to make the change. Her brother is one of the few people in her familiar Amish community to welcome her back. He seems upset by something though and that is when the real action of the story begins. Colin, a friend of Rachel’s late husband, stops by and their relationship is the little bit of romance in ...more
Debbie
Feb 20, 2013 Debbie rated it it was amazing
Home By Dark by Marta Perry gets 5 stars. This is the first book I have read by Marta Perry. I have to be honest and say that at first I didn't like it but I keep reading it because we were going to be discussing it in an online book club I am in. I had heard some people liked it and some people didn't and I was curious about it and I am the type of person that needs to finish a book once I start it. The book is about Rachel (who was raised Amish) comes back to Deer Run and discovers that her br ...more
Darla Stokes
Feb 27, 2016 Darla Stokes rated it really liked it
Nice, solid, fairly low-key romantic suspense. Good theme of going home with a backdrop of an Amish community. Well-rounded characters, and pretty much all the plot threads were connected in some way to the concept of family. There were a couple of threads dangling at the end that I'm guessing will be covered in the next book or books (this is apparently the first in a series). I'm not sure I'll get the next one, since I'm trying to whittle down my TBR pile, but I'm sure I'd enjoy it.
♥Robin ♥
Jul 17, 2015 ♥Robin ♥ rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015-read, amish, mystery
Not bad but not what I was expecting. I love books involving the Amish, but was disappointed as I was hoping for a mystery/suspense but got romance with very little suspense instead. The cover is nice but deceiving. Oh well better luck next time.

This book wasn't bad but it wasn't good either. It falls in that gray area where it's just a mindless quick read to kill time. The two main characters were simple with just enough information given to get a glimpse of their history. Nothing more was deve
Holly
Mar 13, 2014 Holly rated it it was ok
I'm not entirely sure what I was 'expecting' from this story - but when I looked at everyone's comments I guess I was expecting this whole big mystery style book that would keep me enthralled and intrigued at every turning page. I found it slow moving, predictable, never really kept my interest. Did I finish it? Yes....I kept waiting for the suspect to grab me - which it never did. We simply kept rolling along.......and along......and along....until we were at the end....
Holly
Dec 30, 2012 Holly rated it really liked it
Rachel Mason has returned to Deer Run with her nine year old daughter in tow. She becomes reacquainted with her younger brother, 14 year old Benj and suspects there is something bothering him, but decides to try to wait to confront the problem until it becomes clear she and her daughter are also in danger. She and Colin, her late husband's friend fight to solve creepy happenings in their small town. Can they solve the mystery in time?
This was a lighter suspense novel, perfect for a person like
Darlene Torday
Oct 28, 2014 Darlene Torday rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this story. Nice to see her family start to accept her not being Amish. Good falling in love story without rushing the romance. Nice mystery that had me guessing exactly what was happening on top of the hill.
Tanya Sylvester
Aug 06, 2015 Tanya Sylvester rated it liked it
I liked more than I thought I would like a book with the Amish as a sizable factor in the book. Nothing against the Amish, just wondered how a mystery was going to make that aspect interesting...
Kristina
Jul 19, 2016 Kristina rated it really liked it
I think I would give this book a 3.5 /4 star rating. it was a good read, but I felt that this book was kind of a setup book for a series. I did enjoy the characters and I would like to read more about them. I would recommend this book to others.
Liz
May 01, 2014 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good comfortable read

ANOTHER Amish story with a good mystery surrounding it. This story was a good one to read on a rainy damp dreary day. Very comforting.
Cindy
Aug 28, 2014 Cindy rated it really liked it
I like this author's stories and writing style. Will read her again. Recommended for cozy and romance readers.
Sherri
May 11, 2013 Sherri rated it it was amazing
Marta Perry delivers yet again! A little suspense, nostalgia, romance, redemption and justice all rolled into one beautiful package. If you are a "Marta fan," you will love Home by Dark. This story quickly pulled me in and I didn't want to put it down. I particularly enjoyed the Amish/English story line. Living in a small town myself, I could completely relate to the atmosphere of Deer Run. I can't wait for the sequel!

*****I received this book from the first read Goodreads giveaway. The opinions
Shirley
Jan 21, 2014 Shirley rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Generally like the plots with these Marta Perry books, and that is what keeps me reading--the Amish background and the mystery aspect, but too much of a romance book for me to rate higher.
Kristi
Oct 08, 2014 Kristi rated it really liked it
This book was the first in the 3 book amish series and was pretty good. There were parts of it that I thought were kind of drug out and I lost interest but It would pick right back up.
Dee
Great book! Can't wait to read the second one.
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: Watcher in the Dark
Category: Suspense
"Set within the Amish community, with a strong, sympathetic heroine at the center of a suspenseful plot, Perry's story hooks you immediately. Her uncanny ability to seamlessly blend the mystery element with the contemporary themes makes this one intriguing read." RT Book Reviews, rated 4 stars.
Janie  R. Freeman

I always enjoy Marta Perry's Amish suspense/mystery stories. This is the 1st book of this series, it's fast paced reading,and keeps you on reading, as the book gets more suspenseful! Looking forward to the next book in the series!
Heidi
Apr 06, 2013 Heidi rated it really liked it
Home by Dark is another great read by Marta Perry. Her latest story about Rachel returning to Pennsylvania Amish country is filled with family and hope and a bit of mystery. It was just what I needed today.
Maryellen
Feb 07, 2013 Maryellen rated it really liked it
I loved this book...I read Marta Perry whenever I can.....and it is so great that I actually KNOW this author!
Quillracer
Jun 22, 2013 Quillracer rated it really liked it
Marta Perry never fails to tell a great story.

The proof is right here in Home By Dark.
  • Upon a Winter's Night (Home Valley, #4)
  • In Plain View (Valley of Choice #2)
  • Material Witness (Shipshewana Amish Mystery #3)
  • Love Comes to Paradise (New Beginnings, #2)
  • A Hope Springs Christmas (Brides of Amish Country, #7)
  • A Quilt for Jenna (Apple Creek Dreams, #1)
  • Daybreak (The Days of Redemption #1)
  • A Vow for Always (Discovery, #6)
  • The Lesson (Stoney Ridge Seasons #3)
  • The Disappearances (Sadie's Montana, #3)
  • Plain Secrets (Willow Trace, #1)
  • Johanna's Bridegroom (Hannah's Daughters, #6)
  • Katie's Journey to Love (Emma Raber's Daughter, #2)
  • Reckless Heart
  • Treasuring Emma (Middlefield Family, #1)
81993
Marta Perry is a Pennsylvania-based author of over 35 novels, many of them inspirational romances. She uses her rural Pennsylvania life and her Pennsylvania Dutch heritage in writing her books, especially in her Pleasant Valley Amish series for Berkley Books and her new Amish-set suspense series for HQN Books.

Marta and her husband live in a centuries-old farmhouse in a quiet central Pennsylvania v
More about Marta Perry...

Watcher in the Dark (3 books)
  • Search the Dark (Watcher in the Dark, #2)
  • Abandon the Dark (Watcher in the Dark, #3)