Home by Dark

Home by Dark (Watcher in the Dark #1)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  20 reviews
The past can catch up to you....

Rachel Weaver Mason is finally going home to Deer Run, the Amish community she left behind so many years ago. Recently widowed, she wants desperately to create a haven for herself and her young daughter. But the community, including Rachel’s family, is anything but welcoming.

The only person happy to see her is her teenaged brother, Benjami

Published December 18th 2012 by Harlequin HQN

Rhonda
4 STARS
Home by Dark is full of drama,some normal life and some scary stuff. Enough to keep you in the dark about what was going on till the end of the story. It is also a clean read.
Rachel Weaver Mason and her 9 year daughter are moving back to her hometown of Deer Run. The Amish community she left when she married out of the Amish into the English world. Her mother-in-law left her home to Rachel. Witch surprised her because she did not approve of her son marring a Amish girl and kicked him out...more
Carolyn E
As always, another exciting book from Marta Perry. Home by Dark is the first book in a new Amish series. It is another delightful mystery that takes place in Deer Run, Pennsylvania. I am looking forward to more books in this series. I recommend it to everyone, especially those of you who are fans of Amish fiction.
MarciaB - Book Muster Down Under
Synopsis
“Rachel Weaver Mason is finally going home to Deer Run, the Amish community she left behind so many years ago. Recently widowed, she wants desperately to create a haven for herself and her young daughter. But the community, including Rachel's family, is anything but welcoming. The only person happy to see her is her teenage brother, Benjamin, and he's protecting a dark secret that endangers them all.

Determined to keep Benjamin safe from a suspected killer, Rachel has no choice but to tur
IrenesChristianReviews
Moving back to the place she left would not be easy but Rachel decides it is what is best for her and her daughter. Her mother-in-law has left her a house to live in and it seems the perfect time to make the change. Her brother is one of the few people in her familiar Amish community to welcome her back. He seems upset by something though and that is when the real action of the story begins. Colin, a friend of Rachel’s late husband, stops by and their relationship is the little bit of romance in...more
Debbie
Home By Dark by Marta Perry gets 5 stars. This is the first book I have read by Marta Perry. I have to be honest and say that at first I didn't like it but I keep reading it because we were going to be discussing it in an online book club I am in. I had heard some people liked it and some people didn't and I was curious about it and I am the type of person that needs to finish a book once I start it. The book is about Rachel (who was raised Amish) comes back to Deer Run and discovers that her br...more
Holly
I'm not entirely sure what I was 'expecting' from this story - but when I looked at everyone's comments I guess I was expecting this whole big mystery style book that would keep me enthralled and intrigued at every turning page. I found it slow moving, predictable, never really kept my interest. Did I finish it? Yes....I kept waiting for the suspect to grab me - which it never did. We simply kept rolling along.......and along......and along....until we were at the end....
Holly
Rachel Mason has returned to Deer Run with her nine year old daughter in tow. She becomes reacquainted with her younger brother, 14 year old Benj and suspects there is something bothering him, but decides to try to wait to confront the problem until it becomes clear she and her daughter are also in danger. She and Colin, her late husband's friend fight to solve creepy happenings in their small town. Can they solve the mystery in time?
This was a lighter suspense novel, perfect for a person like...more
Janie  R.

I always enjoy Marta Perry's Amish suspense/mystery stories. This is the 1st book of this series, it's fast paced reading,and keeps you on reading, as the book gets more suspenseful! Looking forward to the next book in the series!
Liz
A good comfortable read

ANOTHER Amish story with a good mystery surrounding it. This story was a good one to read on a rainy damp dreary day. Very comforting.
Sherri
Marta Perry delivers yet again! A little suspense, nostalgia, romance, redemption and justice all rolled into one beautiful package. If you are a "Marta fan," you will love Home by Dark. This story quickly pulled me in and I didn't want to put it down. I particularly enjoyed the Amish/English story line. Living in a small town myself, I could completely relate to the atmosphere of Deer Run. I can't wait for the sequel!

*****I received this book from the first read Goodreads giveaway. The opinions...more
Shirley
Generally like the plots with these Marta Perry books, and that is what keeps me reading--the Amish background and the mystery aspect, but too much of a romance book for me to rate higher.
Shannon
I received my first read book free from goodreads giveaway. This was a very pleasant story about family, but it also included a mystery as well which was a good twist to the book, I enjoyed this story and would read more from this author, thanks for the giveaway which was also a signed copy, I really appreciated this even though I am not a big fan of Amish stories I liked this one and would recommend to family and friends.
Dee
Great book! Can't wait to read the second one.
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: Watcher in the Dark
Category: Suspense
"Set within the Amish community, with a strong, sympathetic heroine at the center of a suspenseful plot, Perry's story hooks you immediately. Her uncanny ability to seamlessly blend the mystery element with the contemporary themes makes this one intriguing read." RT Book Reviews, rated 4 stars.
Heidi
Home by Dark is another great read by Marta Perry. Her latest story about Rachel returning to Pennsylvania Amish country is filled with family and hope and a bit of mystery. It was just what I needed today.
Maryellen
I loved this book...I read Marta Perry whenever I can.....and it is so great that I actually KNOW this author!
Quillracer
Marta Perry never fails to tell a great story.

The proof is right here in Home By Dark.
Dawn
Another good book by Marta. She keeps you on the edge of your seat with the book.
PWRL
Feb 15, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-new
SM
Jeannie Brenner
Jeannie Brenner marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Ravana McPherson
Ravana McPherson marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Michaela
Michaela marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Danielle Gonzales
Danielle Gonzales marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Chelseafeders
Chelseafeders is currently reading it
Jul 22, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Jennifer Verley-Mitchell
Jennifer Verley-Mitchell marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
  • Accidentally Amish (Valley of Choice #1)
  • Johanna's Bridegroom (Hannah's Daughters, #6)
  • Living in Harmony (The New Beginnings, #1)
  • Finding Mercy (Home Valley, #3)
  • A Plain Scandal (Appleseed Creek, #2)
  • A Promise for Miriam (The Pebble Creek Amish, #1)
  • Missing (The Secrets of Crittenden County #1)
  • A Hope Springs Christmas (Brides of Amish Country, #7)
  • Leaving Lancaster (Legacy of Lancaster, #1)
  • A Hopeful Heart (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #1)
  • Hannah's Dream (Hannah's Heart, #1)
  • A Cowboy at Heart (The Amish of Apple Grove #3)
  • A Hand to Hold (Hearts of Middlefield, #3)
  • A Season for Tending (Amish Vines and Orchids #1)
  • Annie's Truth (Touch of Grace, #1)
  • A Simple Winter (Seasons of Lancaster #1)
81993
Marta Perry is a Pennsylvania-based author of over 35 novels, many of them inspirational romances. She uses her rural Pennsylvania life and her Pennsylvania Dutch heritage in writing her books, especially in her Pleasant Valley Amish series for Berkley Books and her new Amish-set suspense series for HQN Books.

Marta and her husband live in a centuries-old farmhouse in a quiet central Pennsylvania v...more
More about Marta Perry...
Hide in Plain Sight (The Three Sisters Inn, #1) Leah's Choice (Pleasant Valley, #1) Murder in Plain Sight (Amish Suspense, #1) Anna's Return (Pleasant Valley, #3) Restless Hearts (The Flanagans, #6)