Aftershock (Aftershock, #1)

Aftershock (Aftershock #1)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  484 ratings  ·  113 reviews
THERE'S A FINE LINE...

As an emergency paramedic, Lauren Boyer is dedicated and highly capable. Until an earthquake strikes, trapping her beneath the freeway with a group of strangers--including Iraq war veteran Garrett Wright...

...BETWEEN PERIL AND PASSION

Handsome and take-charge Garrett aids Lauren in her rescue efforts, even as the steely look in his eyes seems to hide d...more
Published December 18th 2012 by Harlequin HQN

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter
4.5 stars. A thrilling read that provides a unique setting/plot.

Photobucket

The city of San Diego experienced a very powerful eightpoint-five earthquake as well as a series of strong aftershocks. The greater downtown area has sustained considerable damage and a lot of roadways have been destroyed. It's the ultimate nightmare. In fact, the whole area looked like a war zone.

Photobucket

A group of people are trapped in a freeway collapse at the Interstate 8 and Highway 163 connection. You'll be meeting the following cha...more
Auntee
Dec 01, 2012 Auntee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of gritty RS
Okay, I'm going to attempt to review this, even though I have a hard time reviewing books I truly loved. Why is it so much easier to review books you don't care for? Anyway...I loved this book! Totally original, it really pushed the envelope on the suspense and overall intensity. I was thoroughly caught up in it all, but to be honest, there was a point where I got so immersed in it that I thought I needed a breather. Verrry intense. From the opening chapters and throughout the book, I kept think...more
Jill
Dec 24, 2012 Jill rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jill by: Auntee and Baba

When an earthquake hits San Diego, paramedic Lauren Boyer is trapped in a cavern under the concrete of a collapsed freeway. Several others are as well, including ex-Marine, Garrett Wright. As if the stress of dealing with the disaster, the injured and their survival isn't enough, a group of dangerous, escaped convicts are holed up with them in the underground chamber.

Some early average-to-low ratings initially put me off requesting an ARC of this. And though I've read and enjoyed Jill Sorenson b...more
Kathleen
A gripping but quite gory story, from start to finish, almost. More of a thriller, less of a romance, with the exception of some lovely -- and yummy -- parts, and some almost profound moments.

This is the first book I have read by JS. She's got a decent writing style. I liked the shifting point of view. There is some internal dialogue but not too much, and the characters don't REPEAT their thoughts too much, yet it did happen. (My pet peeve.) Most of the book involves combat, triage/medical, and...more
Yvonne
Fantastic 5 star read!
One of the best romantic suspenses I've read. The setting for this one was unusual and JS did a superb job of creating intense action and drama from the very start.

What can I say about the Hero, Garrett. He's everything I expect and want from a Hero (with one glaring exception/secret) but JS made it all work.
Penny was the perfect heroine who held her own throughout the book - loved her! She did pull one TSTL move towards the end but I forgave her easily. What's a Hero for i...more
Saly
I really enjoyed this book, though they were a few WTH moments, like in the midst of rescuing people their thoughts about how hot the other person was. So, the heroine is a paramedic going on her shift when an earthquake hits her city, stranding her with the hero, a pregnant teenager, another girl and her grandfather plus a few sick people she is trying to save. They are low on supplies plus they are three rowdy prisoners on the loose threatening them.

I found the book's premise to be different a...more
Mandi Schreiner
This book has such a different premise as it starts with a huge earthquake that rocks the city of San Diego. Lauren Boyer is a paramedic heading to a call as the earthquake hits. Her ambulance falls as the entire freeway collapses. When the earth finally settles, she ends up in a large cavern, underneath the collapsed freeway. Her paramedic partner is dead, actually many, many people are dead.

As Lauren starts to try to find survivors and help the injured, she meets Garrett Wright. She doesn’t le...more
Jae
W.O.W!
An absolutely crazy ride. For a moment there I thought I was going to hate how everything turned out at the end.
Shows how JS likes to toy around with her story telling and string us along for a bumpy adventure. Totally crazy and I loved it.
Jacqueline
Jill Sorenson is getting better all the time. I really loved this book. Bought it at work this afternoon and finished it this evening. Well plotted and believable. Interesting well developed characters, especially the hero, Garrett. (view spoiler) His story was very strong. I loved how he faced up to choices he'd ma...more
Molly O'keefe
This book has an amazing premise - a group of earthquake survivors are caught in a cavern created with the san diego interstate collapsed. There's a pregnant girl, hot guy, paramedic, grandpa and a young girl - oh and some dangerous convicts. The action, the "what are they going to find and be able to use to get them out of there" questions had me turning pages.

I ALSO loved the very risky characters she created. Owen, a young convict was especially endearing and fresh. The romance, for me took a...more
Hbeebti
This was such a crazy ride. I swear the very beginning was so darn realistic, that it was scary. I honest wouldn't know what to do in that kind of situation.This was nonstop action and some serious sexual tension. I loved Garrett. I really wasn't sure how it would all end. It just felt like to many things standing in Lauren and Garrett's way. but this author was brilliant and gave them their HEA.
Keri
NTM Jill Sorenson did a wonderful job of keeping me on edge and tuned in, as I watched Garrett and Lauren struggle to survive and turn to each other for comfort. Will not be my last Sorenson. As much as I loved Garrett though, it was Owen that really captured my heart and I hope him and Penny have a chance later down the road. They continually kept trying to steal the show. Wonderful read!
Kathy
4.5 read. What a surprise. I had no clue this was going to be a little bit Lost, a little bit Lord of the Flies with Survivor thrown in-all taking place under an earthquake damaged overpass in San Diego.
Would have probably worked better for me with the more typical action movie plotline: survive disaster with hot McGyver type; rely on and impress each other through endless crises; throw in some sexual tension that relies on banter not body parts; and indulge in your smooches after you've gotten proper medical attention and a thorough hosing down with antibacterial soap.

As it was, the inappropriate boners and sexy thoughts were very jarring amidst piles of rotting corpses, cartoonish villains,...more
MostlyDelores
Good set up, but a series of implausibly awful happenings popped the tension balloon and nearly caused me to sprain my left eye from rolling it too hard.
Jess
Review posted: Happily Ever After - Reads

Lauren and her paramedic partner Joe have just started their shift in San Diego when an earthquake hits and they’re at the epicenter of it. Being on a freeway overpass has them trapped among collapsing freeways, with death and destruction hitting fast and hard. Lauren barely survives but her partner is killed instantly. She comes across Garrett and together they form a camp with a few other survivors, as they’re trapped by fallen freeways and concrete. Am...more
Kathrynn
Didn't care for the prisoner-theme that ran thru this book. Would have liked for that aspect of the storyline to have been different, but it played a major role.

Massive earthquake in San Diego caused destruction on a freeway and a small group of people were trapped inside fallen bridges/overpasses for about a week trying to survive. Unfortunately, a bus full of prisoners were also in the group and one of the prisoners turned out to be a major hero. Garrett. Former military with PTSD. Found his...more
Carisa
This story was really good, setup was the aftermath of an earthquake and was told very realistically with the appropriate balance of suspense and romance, and several parts were truly emotional. The main and secondary love stories were very sweet, great H/h pair, and characterization was well done.
HERO was a Warrior, ex-Marine who suffered PSTD whose consequences he’s still paying, filled with remorse about his past actions. He helps to rescue and save a few trapped survivors, and he offers them...more
Kaetrin
review copy from author.

3.5 stars, rounded up.

Why I read it: The author provided a review copy.

What it's about: (from Goodreads) THERE'S A FINE LINE As an emergency paramedic, Lauren Boyer is dedicated and highly capable. Until an earthquake strikes, trapping her beneath the freeway with a group of strangers-including Iraq war veteran Garrett Wright...

BETWEEN PERIL AND PASSION

Alexis
I'm not sure what to say other than this book was freaking awesome! I have been having such a difficult time with romantic suspense lately, and this is just what I needed to remind me that sometimes, romantic suspense is fantastic!

I thought that the two main characters, Garrett and Lauren, had amazing chemistry! I was hooked from the moment they met, and I couldn't put the book down. But what was even more exciting was that I didn't just care about the romance aspect of the book. Sometimes I get...more
May Mostly Romance
This is a surprisingly good book. I absolutely love Jill Sorenson since the first time I read "Crash into Me" and follow on her books faithfully. However, I admit I do not like her subsequent books as much as Crash into me. It seems that book becomes the benchmark for everything Ms. Sorenson write afterward.

Frankly I do not really like the premise of the story. I read the blurb and do not find it interesting. But after the first chapter, I find myself cannot put down the book. It is very much l...more
Carrie

Gritty in more ways than one. Good suspense story and good secondary characters.

Jill Sorenson's writing here, especially the descriptions of the conditions, is almost too real here. The scene she sets in the aftermath of an earthquake of people being trapped in a cavern beneath the collapsed freeway near San Diego is so well done that it feels claustrophobic at times. The dust, the dirt, the thirst--everything is so carefully described and believable. So much so that at times the interjection o...more
Brie C.
Originally posted at Romance Around the Corner

3.5 Stars

Source: a review copy was provided by the author.

This year Romantic Suspense has been lackluster, and with a few notable exceptions, I feel like it needs an infusion of new and innovative ideas. Jill Sorenson is one of those exceptions. Her stories may not be new, but they certainly are refreshing, and Aftershock takes it a bit further into the novelty territory. It’s not a perfect book, but I’m glad to see an author taking risks in a sub-ge...more
Lynn Spencer
This would be a 4.5 star read for me. Obviously, I'm on a roll this week reading-wise. The book centers on a small group of San Diego earthquake survivors trapped under a collapsed freeway. In addition to dealing with injuries and trying to stay alive with limited food/water supplies, they face danger from some of their fellow survivors. The leads, paramedic Lauren Boyer and Iraqi War vet Garrett Wright, not only take the lead in trying to make sure their small band survives long enough to be re...more
Felicia
Read for Review (NetGalley)
Overall Rating: 2.50
Story Rating: 3.00
Character Rating: 2.00

First Thought When Finished: Do you know how occasionally as readers we run into stories (or characters) that we just can't connect with? That was me with these characters.

Story Talk: If this book had not been a romantic suspense novel it probably would have rated higher in my mind. I felt the natural disaster and aftermath were done with brutal honesty and beautiful storytelling. The actions of a few survivor...more
This book was a wonderful read, and one I could see people having trouble with. First off, it was terrifying. Aftershock is a prime example of an author continuing to ratchet up the tension and not letting the reader have a moment to rest. It was gritty and gory and I had to ignore the tightness of the space to finish the book.

I like that it is romantic suspense without being about a serial killer. The suspense is situational and very scary. I did roll my eyes a bit in the beginning when Lauren...more
Wendy
I really enjoyed this story immensely. An interesting mix of thriller, dystopian fiction and romance. Also some really gusty choices on the author's part. I've been reading romance nearly exclusive for almost 15 years, and I was blown away by a lot of the elements here. This book wouldn't have been published by a major publisher 10 years ago. It just wouldn't have. And anybody who claims otherwise is high on something.

The only strong caveat I have is that this book, not surprising given the subj...more
Amanda Sheila
Surprisingly, this book is intense.

I was expecting something romantic between the characters, you know. Stuck only two, lovey-dovey and kissy-kissy everywhere. But not this book. Hell, what a shock indeed.

I like Garrett, he's a nice guy with not-so-nice life. Being convicted made him draw a thick line especially from Lauren. But eventually, love will find its own way.

I like the ending, though I want to read more about Owen. And the closure between him and Penny, to me, it's not enough. I swea...more
Emma
Jill Sorenson is one really good author. On the paper this book had nothing to get me excited and yet... I loved it very very much. I enjoyed the secondary storyline / "romance" involving Owen and Penny just as much as I enjoyed the main one. I always do with SR books. She always includes a B story and I always get hooked instantly.
All the characters in this book were very interesting which turns out to be very frustrating... can't wait tor read the other book in this great series.
Gina
This is the first time I have read a book by this author. I really enjoyed this book. It was a fast read, one that kept me interested. Don't let the cover fool you into thinking it is a "smut" book. It realy isn't.
Weekly Romance: 10/13 - Aftershock by Jill Sorenson 5 11 Jan 04, 2014 03:16PM
  • Lethal Pursuit (Bagram Special Ops #3)
  • Midnight Rescue (Killer Instincts, #1)
  • Killing Time (One Eyed Jacks, #1)
  • Alpha One (Shadow Agents, #1)
  • Midnight Secrets (Wildefire, #1)
  • Headed for Trouble (Troubleshooters #16.5)
  • Against the Dark (The Associates, #1)
  • Tempted into Danger (ICE: Black Ops Defenders #1)
  • Don't Cry for Me
  • Inside (Bulletproof, #1)
  • Edge of Survival
  • Where Angels Rest (Mann Family, #1)
  • Breaking Free (SEAL TEAM Heartbreakers #1)
  • Defender (Dark Ops, #1)
  • Shoot to Thrill (Passion For Danger, #1)
  • Back to You (Bad Boys of Red Hook, #1)
  • Shattered Valor (Red Team, #2)
  • Taken to the Edge (The Guardian Angelinos, #0.5)
Jill Sorenson writes sexy action/adventure romance for HQN. Her books are available in print, digital and audio formats. She lives in San Diego with her husband and daughters.

AFTERSHOCK (Jan 2013) was given a starred review by Publishers Weekly: "Sorenson fuels this fast-paced romantic thriller with nonstop adrenaline." Continue the series with FREEFALL (Jun 2013) and BADLANDS (Jan 2014).

Or start...more
More about Jill Sorenson...
The Edge of Night Crash Into Me Freefall (Aftershock, #2) Caught in the Act Set the Dark on Fire