Start by marking “Broken Hearts” as Want to Read:
Broken Hearts

Broken Hearts (Fear Street Super Chiller #4)

3.76  ·  Rating Details ·  1,507 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
There’s someone out there, someone who kills on Valentine’s Day. Josie and Melissa are scared, especially when they receive threatening valentines. Then the murders begin. Who is sending these horrible valentines to the girls of Shadyside High? And who will be the next to die?
Published October 9th 2012 by Simon Pulse (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Broken Hearts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broken Hearts

Cameron Chaney
Happy Valentine's Day, all! Since I'm just such a romantic, I decided to join in on the holiday and read this lovely little tale about a secret admirer who sends heart-felt Valentines to his crushes in order to obtain their hearts... literally.

Okay, so maybe the story isn't quite that slasher-like. Like most of R. L. Stine's Fear Street books, it's more of a murder mystery. It opens with three sisters and their friend Melissa who go to a horse ranch for a ride through the woods. Rachel--the only
Kris Lugosi
Sep 08, 2014 Kris Lugosi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been reading A LOT of PIKE lately, so I decided to break it up a bit and grab a Fear Street STINE book. There is a vast difference between these two author's writing style, and now that I am in my 20's I much prefer the more mature style of PIKE. However, Stine will always hold a nostalgic place in my heart and his books are incredibly quick reads with relatively interesting plots and characters.

In BROKEN HEARTS, I must say, the character development goes much deeper than many of Stines o
Jason
Jun 16, 2011 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember I started reading this one weekend and couldn't put it down. I had to know what was going to happen next. Great story!!
Kristine (The Writer's Inkwell)
Posted originally on my blog:
The Writer's Inkwell

This is probably one of the most memorable Fear Street books from my childhood. I owed it for years and I really enjoyed the twist of who was behind it.

But the question is, how did I feel about it through my adult eyes?

The story line is actually done really well and if you haven't read this book, it's one of the few books from the series that I would recommend.

Here's a brief summary of what you can expect, since the description above really fails
Shannon
Out of all the Fear Street books I've read, this one wasn't one of my favorites. It was a bit confusing how the POV jumped around from person to person. Also, it wasn't as scary as I'd hoped. It wasn't crap-my-pants scary, but it was creepy enough to engage me. Though I have to give props for the culprit at the end. I had no idea the whole time. I was convinced it was a certain character the whole time and was shocked when it wasn't them.

In the last FS book I read, the girl characters were supe
Karlie
Aug 04, 2014 Karlie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Karlie Gaylord
Mrs. Toney
December 10, 2014
Periods 3 and 4
Good-reads update - Broken Hearts by R.L. Stine - Book 1
Broken hearts is a mind blowing book. It has twists and turns that you never would have expected. If you like thrillers, then this is a book for you. It all starts with three girls, going horse-back riding in the woods…

Once upon a time, there were these 3 sisters. Any couldn’t do anything without each other. While on the horse-back ride, Rachel, the youngest, asked Marissa, the oldest
Paul Kim
Feb 02, 2015 Paul Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: r-l-stine
Not the best Fear Street I've read.

While there are some suspenseful parts, the book honestly feels depressing to read sometimes, probably because the first part consists of Jodie and her sister yelling at each other, Jodie thinking gloomily about her messy life at home, or Jodie insulting people from rage. To me, it makes the book almost unpleasant to read since I read these books for fun and action.

The horror scenes still diverts me from the gloomy parts as it keeps me turning pages to see wha
kylajaclyn
Tired of all the mushy-mushy love stuff on V-Day? Itching to prank a coworker, lover, friend, or enemy instead? You're in luck! In the pages of this book, R.L. Valen-Stine saves you four Hallmark dollars and crafts his own creepy cards, just begging to make it out of the 90s:

1. Roses are Red
Corpses are Blue
On Valentine's Day,
You'll die too!

2. Violets are blue
Roses are red
On Valentine's Day
[insert name here] will be dead!

3. This Valentine's Day,
No memories to save.
The only flowers for you
Wil
Trevor Wells
Aug 10, 2014 Trevor Wells rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fear-street
I read this book a while back, and it was very good. The plot was interesting and exciting enough to make me want to keep reading until I got to the end. The twists were pretty nice and the climax at the end was nothing more than action-packed.

The plot is that it's nearing Valentine's Day and things are looking good...until high school students Josie and Melissa start getting threatening valentines. And then, things turn deadly. Will they live long enough to see Valentine's Day?

This Superchille
Carol Briseno
Leave it to R.L. Stine to give me a surprise ending.

I loved his play on having us see different characters and what they were going through. If he hadn't of let me see the character of Josie and what she was going through I prolly would've slapped her. (I realize it's a book and you can't slap the characters, but I prolly would've slammed the book closed and pretended it was harming her.) If there was one thing I wish I would've seen more from in the characters it was the guys. I realize it wasn
Mehsi
Watch out, may contain Spoilers!

I must say it started off quite awesome, with them going horseback riding and one ending up falling

But sadly, the rest of the book wasn't that good. Josie was just, sorry for my language, a bitch, a really big selfish bitch. When she started getting threatening letters I was just hoping they were true. I don"t want to wish anyone dead, but sorry. Poor Erica had to give up everything for Rachel, since Josie just does what she wants and leaves Erica with the mess. :
SaturNalia
Josie, Rachael and Malissa go horseback riding and Rachael has an accident, that turns her mentally into a child who needs constant care. Josie feels guilty because she checked Rachael's saddle and that's what caused the accident, but she won't help take care of Rachael. Erica, Josie and Rachael's older sister does al the care taking. On Valentine's Day Jose receives death threats in her valentine cards, she gets paranoid and scared. There are lots of suspects; Rachael, the demented twin sister, ...more
Y
Revisiting Fear Street, part two.

Getting a hankering for Fear Street after many years and deciding to look for any used copies I could find, this was the book that kept popping up in my mind, for whatever reason. I'm not really sure why; perhaps it was my favorite when I was a kid, although I don't remember it being so. In fact, I didn't remember anything about it other than someone (view spoiler).

In any case, while the writing
Emily G.
Oct 31, 2013 Emily G. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book. If you want to read a short horror story then these are the books to read. I love how there were never any boring parts. It was always suspenseful, but not a super page turner. In my mind I had ideas of who could be the murderer, but in the end none of my suspects were it. I really enjoyed the plot and how it really shocked me in the end. I read a few of the books in the series 'Fear Street' when I was in 3rd grade, and I really enjoyed them and wanted to read more of them. ...more
Drucilla
Feb 15, 2012 Drucilla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fear-street
Yes, I'm actually giving a Fear Street book four stars. Why? Well, let's see...a character that I hate dies (Awesome!), (view spoiler) There were some red herrings, but they turned out to only enhance the book, not distract you. Normally, I don't m ...more
Shelley
Feb 13, 2011 Shelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jan
When Josie and Erica's sister,Rachel, is hurt in a riding accident, all their lives change. Erica is charged with much of Rachel's care because Josie always finds an excuse to be somewhere else. As Valentine's day approaches, Josie starts receiving threatening Valentine cards. Who could hate Josie so much. Is it Rachel's old boyfriend who blames Josie for the accident? is it Melissa, Josie's ex-BFF?

This book was really good. Well for tweens and teens who like a little mystery. This one is creep
Alex
This was one of my very favorite Fear Street books as a kid, so I was excited to re-read this one and see how it held up.

This is still, in my opinion, one of the best. It has the usual Fear Street elements and has its surprise ending, but for me, the main part of this book has always been Rachel, and that storyline was just as good as I remembered. The family's suffering after Rachel's accident was real, and gave depth to an otherwise shallow book. Well done!
Liz
Oct 31, 2011 Liz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Broken Hearts is about 2 girls name Josie and Melissa, who is receiving threatening valentines from someone. This book grabs my attention immediately and makes me want to continue reading. While reading Broken Hearts, it always make me wonder what will happen next. The beggining was okay, but soon it gets really interesting and mystery. The author didn't made the book boring and it didn't end so suddenly. Over all, I love reading this book.
 ♥︎ LoneWolf ♥︎
I was a little disappointed with this book because the story doesn't really get exciting until the end. This was too slow and kind of boring during the beginning and the middle of this book. The good thing i can say about this book is that R.L. Stine definitely surprised me at the very end. I was expecting someone else to be responsible for the bad "happenings" in this story; i was hit with a crazy twist.
TheReadingKnitter/ Kasey
I started this book on 09/28/2009. I finished this book on 09/29/2009.

Another R.L. Stine book. I remembered parts of it but some of it was a surprise to me. I love reading his books now because they are an easy read for me. And sometimes and easy read is just what I need after reading a deep book. It was okay so I gave it a two star.
Nicole Baldino
When I was in grade school my life pretty much revolved around Fear Street, Babysitter's Club and Sweet Valley books. I remember loving the the Super Chillers the best because they were a little bit thicker than the rest and always a little bit scarier. This one sticks out the most besides the Cheerleaders series which I remember being my favorite. I'd love to read these again!
These books really suck, but I didn't know as a kid. The romance was not too saucy for the age group, the horror was cheesy, the climaxes expected, comfortable. Ice breaks and someone (oh no) almost falls through it, an innocent puppy is killed with an everyday object, and the killer is not who you thought it was.
C.
Apr 24, 2014 C. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A perfect storm of absent parents, a boyfriend-dumping bad sister, a beautiful brain damaged good sister, an invisible dutiful younger sister, numerous resentful and obsessed boys, and lethal skating parties. Awesome. But why must Stine always kill off the family dog?

Spoilery recap here: http://necromommycon.blogspot.ca/2014...
Mario Rocchetta
Dec 31, 2014 Mario Rocchetta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
R.L. Stine's "Broken Hearts" was a great read for our book club considering the time of year - Valentine's Day! I found the book quite fun to get through and I was left guessing who was behind the murders up until almost the last chapter. Fun and light, I'd check this one out if you're a fan of 90s Young Adult horror!
Lyddie
Sep 26, 2011 Lyddie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As far as retro YA goes, this is pretty standard. The writing isn't fabulous, but I had a blast walking down memory lane. I used to read this series when I was in grade school. Love! Unfortunately, the plot and dialogue isn't top notch... for more reviews, www.theliterarylollipop.wordpress.com!
Ria
Jan 29, 2011 Ria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Novel ini benar-benar bikin aku tegang, dan aku sampai gak bisa menebak siapa pelakunya. Pelakunya sangat sempurna memainkan peran dia sampai gak ada satu orang yang tau dialah pelakunya. Valentine penuh bencana hihihi untunglah aku tidak pernah suka hari Valentine.
Sarah Aguilar
This book is so good.I mean even at the first few pages it already had action and danger.I am only on the third chapter when i get to the next few chapter i will come back to this website to write it down!
Annie
Jan 20, 2013 Annie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In my opinion, this is the second best fear street, the first being "The Knife". It is suspenseful and kept me guessing to the end.I'm usually someone who can guess the ending quite easily and yet this book was a challenge. I loved everything about this book.
Vindy Putri
Jan 04, 2016 Vindy Putri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
KEREEEEN!
Ini genre-nya thriller romantic yang kece badai! Aku gak henti-hentinya nebak teka-teki yang endingnya bener-bener AMAZING!
Butuh 3.5 Jam membabat buku jadul R.L Stine ini.
Masih spicless...
  • Last Act
  • Overdue
  • Final Exam
  • The Yearbook
  • Fatal Bargain (Vampire's Promise, #3)
  • Funhouse
  • Prom Dress

R. L. Stine b
More about R.L. Stine...

Fear Street Super Chiller (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Party Summer  (Fear Street Super Chiller, #1)
  • Silent Night (Fear Street Super Chiller, #2)
  • Goodnight Kiss (Fear Street Superchiller, # 3)
  • Silent Night 2 (Fear Street Superchiller, # 5)
  • The Dead Lifeguard (Fear Street Super Chiller, #6)
  • The New Evil (Fear Street Superchiller, #7 ; Fear Street Cheerleaders, #4)
  • Bad Moonlight (Fear Street Super Chiller, #8)
  • The New Year's Party (Fear Street Super Chiller, #9)
  • Goodnight Kiss 2 (Fear Street Superchiller, # 10)
  • Silent Night 3 (Fear Street Superchiller, #11)