Start by marking “Iceman” as Want to Read:
Iceman

Iceman

Fourteen-year-old Eric, a ruthless hockey player prone to violence on the ice, tries to reconcile his own needs with those of his parents.
Published March 5th 2013 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Iceman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Iceman

Shoshana
The unspeakable part is on page 152.
Mat
Jan 13, 2017 Mat rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not a good book. It was very boring. I thought it would have more about hockey, but it was more about death. Would not recommend.
Ashley Rodriguez
The book, Iceman, is about a young teenager named Eric who plays hockey. His teammates call him “Iceman” because he is a heartless player. He is very physical when he plays. However, he feels like that he has something missing from his life. His dad loves to watch Eric play. His mom is always nagging how Eric can improve as a better person. Eric’s brother was a hall of fame athlete who became a slacker. Throughout the story, Eric struggles to tell his family on how he really feels.
I did not l
Nick C
Dec 02, 2014 Nick C rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was absolutely awful. I read this book through only for a class and it was painful. If it was not mandated I would have stayed away. This book is very slow and most of the time is not eventful. He makes things drag out for almost chapters, this making the book go very slow. I would like to warn anybody looking to read a hockey book that this book is absolutely atrocious. It should have been left in the 80's. It depicts events that in todays hockey would not be happening. This is probab ...more
Alex Schilling
Jan 25, 2016 Alex Schilling rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I honestly disliked this book. I usually don't enjoy fictional sport books and this strengthened my opinion towards these books. The main character is Eric who is a hard hitting hockey player with the nickname "iceman" because of how he plays the game. The 14 year old is really trying to find his identity in life with a rough and tough (just like his game) family structure with mom, dad who's trying to relive is teenage years threw his son, and a brother who used to be a star athlete but now is ...more
David
Mar 01, 2013 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this read. It is a gritty, real, hard-hitting, attention grabbing sports novel: “The guy with the fire in his belly; if you all played with half the fire this guy has, we’d win the damn Stanley Cup”. It has a teen struggling to find his identity in life; and a father living his childhood again in his son; a brother that rebels against his parents and a mother that wants to save them all. This book serves up a violent hockey story which is as appealing as any sports novel I’ve ev ...more
Brenda Kahn
Wow. Intense portrait of a driven boy getting eaten alive by his anger. Great hockey descriptions. Terrific writing. One teensy little scene pushes it out of my students' (middle school) league and more for high school. Totally on board for its rerelease and its companion, Pieces, due out in early February.
Linden
Jan 15, 2015 Linden rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: High school and up
Recommended to Linden by: THe subject

Hickey is important to Eric's family, especially his father, and Eric is the iceman--both as the one on the ice and the one with ice in his veins, necessary for the violence of the sport. The author explores the dynamic of the family and the effect of all the things not being said, while Eric suffers from the cold. (152 p.)
Kristina
Dec 24, 2015 Kristina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
there were 5 typos and the weirdest juxtaposition of content. the main story was about hockey...and the filler plot was about wanting to be a mortician? like there was no reason behind it. at all.
i also found the characterization very bizzare and quite flat.
honestly the only reason i gave this two stars was because hockey.
Juno Kim
Eric is the main character in this book. He is playing hockey, but his teammates call him “Iceman”.
Because he is heartless people as a snow. But he isn’t heartless. He is just introvert person. His parents are also cold person. But he is still young, he is only 14 years old. He need a attention from his parents. I think this book saw now a day of society.
Marilyn
Aug 21, 2016 Marilyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think Lynch has written a story that is more about finding oneself amidst bizarre happenings within family and social ties. It is amazing how many of us as young adults have survived and made something of ourselves.
Robby Schuh
Sep 15, 2010 Robby Schuh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was really good. I really enjoyed how much acction there was and how much sports there was. This book was really well written and showed me that even the young men who do have problems, can still get through and have a great life.
Evan
Jan 19, 2014 Evan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-niños, fiction
"It wasn't just about hockey, it was about a boy's life. Sometimes he and his family are weird but it is very interesting" according to my 5th grade cumulative reading log. I started it on 10/21 (1997 I believe) and gave it a 5/6.
Kelly
A sad teen who is unloved meets an older mentor who helps him find his identity. Yes, it's a tale told many times, but this one is very accessible for YA readers, and the sports connection will appeal to male readers who like sports.
Bruce Black
Bruce Black rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2012
Matt Nuhn
Matt Nuhn rated it did not like it
Sep 25, 2012
Daniel Lynch
Daniel Lynch rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2014
Greg
Greg rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2011
Kim
Nov 17, 2016 Kim rated it liked it
Chris Lynch has some great books out there. The protagonist in this one is struggling to find out who he is in a family that is trying to define him instead of letting him figure it out. The book contains some profanity.
Ande
Ande rated it really liked it
May 17, 2007
Mrs. Allen
Mrs. Allen rated it liked it
May 24, 2016
Cameron DiGregorio
Cameron DiGregorio rated it it was ok
Jun 03, 2015
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2012
Waller
Waller rated it it was ok
Jul 27, 2008
Tim Johnson
Tim Johnson rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2012
Ashley Rodriguez
Ashley Rodriguez rated it it was ok
Apr 09, 2013
Myles Mcfarland
Myles Mcfarland rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2014
Heather Erickson
Heather Erickson rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2013
Trevor Arganese
Sep 25, 2013 Trevor Arganese rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
i ended it early because i didn't like this book!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jackson
Jackson rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Chris Lynch is the Printz Honor Award-winning author of several highly acclaimed young adult novels, including KILL SWITCH, ANGRY YOUNG MAN, and INEXCUSABLE, which was a National Book Award finalist and the recipient of six starred reviews. He is also the author of FREEWILL, GOLD DUST, ICEMAN, GYPSY DAVY, and SHADOWBOXER, all ALA Best Books for Young Adults; EXTREME ELVIN WHITECHURCH, and ALL THE ...more
More about Chris Lynch...