Start by marking “I Saw Zombies Eating Santa Claus: A Breathers Christmas Carol” as Want to Read:
I Saw Zombies Eating Santa Claus: A Breathers Christmas Carol

I Saw Zombies Eating Santa Claus: A Breathers Christmas Carol

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  232 ratings  ·  78 reviews
“One of America’s best satiric novelists” (Kirkus Reviews), S. G. Browne seamlessly gift wraps this horrific and hilarious sequel to his “extremely strong” (Publishers Weekly, starred review) zombie novel Breathers.

He sees you when you’re sleeping . . . he knows when you’re undead.

How does the leader o...more
Published October 30th 2012 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about I Saw Zombies Eating Santa Claus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Saw Zombies Eating Santa Claus

Shamus McCarty
I'm not much for Christmas stories, but the title of this one caught my eye so I entered a contest to win it. And then won it.

I never read the first book, because I typically stay away from books with a heart on the cover, so there were some parts that I didn't really get. However, S.G. did a good job of filling in most of the blanks. Behind the story of a thinking zombie is the story of what Christmas is like for the child of a single alcoholic mother. It tugged at the heart strings a little, a...more
Frishawn Rasheed
Andy's story is one that will tug at your heart, make your flesh crawl, have you seeing red, and tickle every funny bone in your body. It seems that our undead narrator has had one hell of a year; going from a voice in the dark for zombie rights to a lab rat for tests unfit for the smarmiest of rodents. It's a good thing that he can still manage some snark with his lips sewn shut...right?

This is a zombie read with real brains. In fact, in most cases the zombies are not only smarter than the "bre...more
Anna Motteler
I read this book in about two hours. If even that. I took it with me to the bathroom for a bubble bath, while I made dinner, etc. This book was AMAZING. & I can't say that enough. Not just for the fact that its about zombies, which is enough of a reason to want to read it, but it's a story about a father's love for his daughter. You really need to pick up this book & read it, because you will be hooked on it. I can promise you that. It's hilarious, well written & heartwarming. I love...more
Rachel
I really enjoyed this book. I don't think it's a prerequisite to have read Breathers, even though this is a sequel. There are some characters and parts where it might help to better inform the reader. This is a light, funny read that I'd recommend to anyone who likes zombies or just wants a unique Christmas story.
William Bentrim
I Saw Zombies Eating Santa Claus by S. G. Browne
My initial reaction to this book was less than stellar. I made an assumption (you can guess where this is going.) that is was going to be roughly in the sheer idiocy category. Well, imagine my surprise when I enjoyed the book. The story is the deprivation of zombies by society and the zombie side of the story.

Andy Warner portrays a poignant, abused figure in this tale of discrimination. I’m not sure black humor aptly describes the book or the plot....more
Jason Donnelly
Andy's back!

If you loved Breathers: A Zombie's Lament, you're going to love this one. It's written with the same fast wit and imagery that we've grown accustomed to with S.G. Browne's work and I couldn't be happier having the chance to read it before the release date on October 30th, 2012.

We start off the story with Andy, in a zombie research facility in Portland, Oregon. He was the leader of a zombie uprising, after which a lot of new zombie laws were put into place. There's a tip of the hat to...more
Karissa
I got a copy of this book in exchange for a honest review through the Goodreads First Reads program. Thanks to Gallery Books and Goodreads for allowing me the opportunity to review this book. I read Browne’s book Breathers when it was released a few years ago and really enjoyed it. I was really looking forward to reading this book as well. This ended up being a fun, yet short, zombie Christmas read. It was gory, disturbing, entertaining, and even a bit heart-warming.

This book picks up where Brea...more
Nicole
"If I Only Had Some Brains
lyrics by Andy Warner

I could gnaw away the hours
Delightfully devour
Digesting Johns and Janes
And my mouth I'd be fillin'
While my hands were busy killin'
If I only had some brains

I'd faddle and I'd fiddle
Fat fry you on the griddle
Sauteing your remains
On you flesh I'd be snackin'
And your skull I would be crackin'
If I only had some brains

Oh, ever since I've died
I've longed for blood and gore
Just to sit and eat the brains that I adore
And then I'd sit and eat some more

I would...more
Conny
I was a First Read Winner of this book and loved it. We find out what it is like to see the world from the perspective of the Zombie, something completely different and fresh. It captured my attention from page one, it had enough gore to satisfy any Zombie fan, but it was also very tenderhearted and sweet. I thoroughly enjoyed the characters and the story line and can't wait to read other works from S.G. Browne. Not your average Christmas Story thats for sure. I highly recommend it.
Kim Miner Litton
I felt Breathers was pretty perfect on its own and didn't think I wanted or needed a sequel, but I am a huge fan of the author and won this book in a contest on his blog.

*READ BOOK ONE FIRST, AS THIS CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR BREATHERS: A ZOMBIE'S LAMENT*

It was satisfying to see, after the ending of Breathers, that at least Andy, everyone's favorite angsty Zombie, survived his zombie last stand. He enters a bit of a "chosen one" sort of path here. He's different for some reason, which is why he gets...more
Holden Attradies
If I have any complaints about this book it's that it was too short! Other then that it was a fun read that continued Andy's story as well as showing the implications of Andy's actions after the first book was over.

Mostly though the book tied up the biggest loose end from the first book: Andy's daughter. It always bugged me that he never really tried to see her and I feel through this book both the character and the reader got some closure on that issue, even if this wasn't REALLY his daughter.
Jessica
The title alone was enough to pique my interest. The premise hooked me even more. From there, all it took was page one to get me entrenched into the delightful world of Breathers and Zombies.

Admittedly, I was expecting something along the lines of Christopher Moore's raucous hilarity. I was more reminded of Dave Barry's quirky, lively, fast-paced style, which was no less joyous. At any rate, it was quite enjoyable, and the entire time I felt eager to know what happened next - what is Andy going...more
Cassie-la
REVIEW ALSO ON: http://bibliomantics.com/2012/10/26/j...

This sequel to Breathers: A Zombie’s Lament (S.G. Browne’s first published novel) is every bit as wonderful- if not more wonderful than its predecessor. I could read a whole series of books set in the Breather‘s universe! Set one year after the first book, I Saw Zombies contains some spoilers to the original including the fate of its main characters. But, if you merely want to read a, “… Holly-jolly- zombie Christmas” story about a girl and...more
Alex Telander
The bestselling author of the hilariously entertaining zombie book, Breathers, has a Christmas treat for you: a zombie holiday novella featuring some of the characters you’ve come to love from Breathers. It’s a Christmas miracle like no other; one you won’t soon forget.

Andy Warner is having problems. Other than being a zombie, he’s also a test subject in a horrible lab, where the employees care nothing about their zombie guinea pigs and will poke and prod, burn and dismember, and do whatever the...more
Brendan
Want a novel with a zombie dressed like Santa Claus? You got it.

Alex Winter, the undead narrator of Breathers, finds himself the object of incessant experimentation and torment at a government research facility. He escapes and, because of his long white hair and beard, quickly dresses as Santa Claus. The story that follows is an amusing little Christmas tale, a blend of humor, horror, and holiday cheer.

A few thoughts:

- I’ve read Browne’s short story “Zombie Gigolo,” so I can attest that he has...more
Cale
Maybe I just don't get the satire. Maybe it's a meta book, where the story itself is less important than the overall feeling. Because the plot moved like a zombie; plodding, brainless and slow. But the story didn't. Is he satirizing Christmas stories by putting a 'zombie' in it? Or is he satirizing 'zombie' books by putting what could just as easily been a diabetic prisoner in it? Either way, it just didn't work for me. The book is a sequel, but it still takes a quarter of it to set up the plot,...more
Richard Kelly
Well, this isn't Breathers, but it is entertaining.

I liked it. It started out slow and I was disappointed. I thought that it was going to be a huge disappointment, but it got better.

I think the problem I had was that I remember Breathers as a fun Zombie romp. And although this one gets there, it spends a good amount of time covering the Christmasy sub plot. Which is fine, it is a Christmas Carol afterall. But, it did leave me worried for a little while.

It is a short book, fun and quick. The wr...more
Suge
I finished this WAY before Christmas, and forgot to update my status here (damn xmas). I loved this tale about as much as I'd loved the first novel by Browne entitled Breathers. I remember meeting Browne at ZomBCon a few years ago and asking if he'd ever consider continuing on with the tale of Andy. I'm so glad he did. This was a perfect novel to read for Christmas time, whether you love Christmas or zombies. The story continues with Andy being in a research facility for Zombies. We follow him a...more
Donald Armfield
My sixth first reads win. Without reading synopsis because the title alone caught my eye. I had thought I would be reading a book with horror and gore at a local shopping mall. or something like that.

Annie makes her Santa wish for a better mom and a big stuffed panda bear. Andy shot in the head somehow became a zombie trapped at a facility where they run test on zombies. From spraying with pine-sol, electric probes and numerous other things us breathers would say ouch over.

Escaped from facility...more
Barry Huddleston
“I Saw Zombies Eating Santa Claus” by S.G. Browne is the follow-up to “Breathers: A Zombie’s Lament”. Having said that, I really don’t think that you need to read “Breathers” to enjoy “I Saw Zombies Eating Santa Claus”.

I enjoyed the satire and the heart-warming story. All too often, the book gave me that deep dark chuckle that so many of my friends and family find amusing and somewhat disturbing. The zombies remind me of the type that you will find in “Zombie Housewives of the Apocalypse” or “Zo...more
Jenevieve
A follow-up to Breathers and billed as a Breathers Christmas Carol. Andy has been at a zombie research facility since he was captured a year ago at the frat house with his other zombie buddies. He has been experimented on and treated worse than an animal for that entire time. Now someone from PETZ (people for the ethical treatment of zombies) has freed him and the other zombies from the facility. Now on the outside, he wants to find a way to free his friends that were recaptured but how is one l...more
Mycoton32
16/20
En bref, j'ai passé un très bon moment avec Andy et ses amis, comme le premier opus c'est bourré d'humour mais pas que, il est aussi question d'amitié, de loyauté, de gentillesse et de pleins d'autres petites choses... A lire et à offrir sous le sapin ! (faut être prévoyant !!)

Aaron (Typographical Era)
Author S.G. Browne arrived on the literary scene in 2009 with his novel Breathers: A Zombie’s Lament. Seamlessly blending elements of horror and black comedy, and featuring a non-traditional writing style that utilized fragmented sentences and repeated phrases to emphasize his protagonist’s slanted world view, this debut story would quickly establish Browne as a talent to watch. It was a welcomed, intelligent piece, that was powered by an undercurrent of social commentary that helped elevate it...more
Alicia
This book was a clever take on the zombie apocalypse. S.G. Browne has a very different view of what zombies could be compared to the rest of us. In fact, it's not even really an apocalypse-most zombies are being kept as science experiments. And they can think and speak! Browne has an interesting writing style that I enjoy very much. He has a way of making things that should be dark seem rather funny, or just plain weird. The book was a very interesting tale about a zombie with a heart who just w...more
Lauren Stoolfire
I loved this darkly humorous take on zombies! Andy's story really tugged at my heartstrings. Despite the fact that he is undead, in various states of decomposition and at times eating human flesh, he is the character you want to root for in comparison to the living Breathers.
It works well as a standalone novel, but I would love to get my hands on a copy of Breathers: A Zombie's Lament and start at the beginning of Andy's new found reanimate life.
I can't get "If I Only Had Some Brains" out of m...more
Buck Swindle
It's the feel good Zombie book of the season. I think fans of the genre will break this book out year after year to read aloud around the crackling yule log as the family listens in rapt attention to the true meaning of Christmas.

Some things I really enjoyed about this book: (In no particular order)
It has zombies in it.
It was a free, autographed copy. (Thanks S.G!)
Andy is still out there. What's in store for our undead hero?

If you enjoyed Breathers, (Who didn't?) pick it up and follow along as...more
Jason
* I recived this book for free through the Goodreads first reads program.

This was a funny zombie book. Weird, I know but it was. I loved all of the refrences, they made me bust out laughing. It could get dark and gory at times, but the off beat comedy stayed strong throughout the entire novel. The main character Andy was awesome, so human to be a zombie. I loved the twins also, they added a kind of three stooges element to the book. The description of Portland was perfect. A great book to read n...more
Jaime
I won this in a goodreads giveaway.

I'm not a zombie person, but this sounded funny.
I wasn't disappointed.

Browne puts a lot of snark into this with some silly twists and turns. Zombies aren't just brainless things, but pretty much sentients with a taste (and need) for human flesh. They remember their old memories, and some of them stay with their families for some time.

But then we humans decide that since they're [un]dead, we'll experiment on them to see if we can cure diseases.

Too bad the zombie...more
Megan
Thanks goes to GoodReads giveaways for putting this book in my hands because it is funny.

At first glance, hilarious title, short book, very specific genre. I'm not one for zombies and honestly Im kind of a Christmas scrooge... but I'm glad I read this. I can't remember the last time a book made me literally laugh out loud and "Zombies" did. I will be buying the Breathers book very shortly because if it's written anything like this one, I just have to have it.

My favorite part: anything involving...more
April
I received a copy of this book free through Goodreads First Reads!!

I usually hate reading series out of order but this was a free read so I gave it a shot. It was great!! It references the first book but does not depend heavily upon having read it! Andy is one of those tragically funny characters. This book was a refreshing take on discrimination and fun while enlightening! I love a good zombie tale!! And a fun turn from the standard Christmas reads!! Now I have to backtrack and read the first b...more
S.G. Browne - Author: Zombie Christmas Haiku Giveaway 1 4 Nov 12, 2012 09:33AM
  • This Dark Earth
  • Two Out of Three (Meagan Maloney Mystery, #1)
  • Autumn: Aftermath (Autumn, #5)
  • The Reenactments
  • Western Winter Wedding Bells
  • Secrets and Malice
  • Pale Horses (Jade de Jong, #4)
  • Driver's Education
  • dayclean
  • The Fine Print of Self-Publishing: Everything You Need to Know about the Costs, Contracts, and Process of Self-Publishing
  • Run, Clarissa, Run
  • It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Zombies: A Book of Zombie Christmas Carols
  • Taking it Back (White Flag, #2)
  • Zombie, Illinois
  • Kanji-Kan (Puzzle Book 1)
  • The Devil Made Me Do It
  • Smart Chefs Stay Slim: Lessons in Eating and Living From America's Best Chefs
  • More Peas, Thank You
S.G. Browne is the author of the novels Breathers, Fated, Lucky Bastard, and Big Egos, as well as the novella I Saw Zombies Eating Santa Claus. His short story collection Shooting Monkeys in a Barrel contains ten twisted tales and is available as an eBook.

He loves dark comedies, Ben & Jerry's ice cream, and is a sucker for It's a Wonderful Life. You can learn more about S.G. Browne and his wri...more
More about S.G. Browne...
Breathers: A Zombie's Lament Fated Lucky Bastard Big Egos Shooting Monkeys in a Barrel: Ten Twisted Tales