Start by marking “The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer #2)” as Want to Read:
The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer #2)

The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer #2)

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  51,243 ratings  ·  6,190 reviews
Mara Dyer knows she isn't crazy. She knows that she can kill with her mind, and that Noah can heal with his. Mara also knows that somehow, Jude is not a hallucination. He is alive.Unfortunately, convincing her family and doctors that she's not unstable and doesn't need to be hospitalised isn't easy. The only person who actually believes her is Noah. But being with Noah is ...more
Published November 1st 2012 by Simon & Schuster UK (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Evolution of Mara Dyer, please sign up.

Katherine POV you mean? It's Mara's thoughts / actions as she is recalling it. I loved it, instead of only getting snippets of what's going (often seen in 3rd…morePOV you mean? It's Mara's thoughts / actions as she is recalling it. I loved it, instead of only getting snippets of what's going (often seen in 3rd person books), you get the full closer. We know EVERYTHING. ;) (less)

Vy
ALL THE STARS RIGHT HERE.
Can we all just slow clap for this?

AND THIS BOOK. NO WORDS RIGHT NOW. I just..

My thoughts have yet to make sense. So for now, all you have to know is that Evolution is a fantastic book that will most likely be the source of my nightmares and paranoia for the next few days.

GO PRE-ORDER NOW! I just ordered mine :)

***********updated FULL review***********

I wasn't sure how it could be possible, but The Evolution of Mara Dyer was even more intese and twisted than The Unbeco
Anna
I should probably write a real review for this. Maybe I will, when my head isn't reeling.

The Evolution is everything that The Unbecoming was and more. Romantic, perfectly paced, repeatedly punching you in the gut... I actually had to take a bunch of breaks and purge to someone during the last 100 pages because everything was becoming so intense and scary and twisted. It's 10 times worse than The Unbecoming, and it's awesome.

It also raised my standards for gore and fear. If I had to pick two word
Carissa
Ideally, this book will include:
Noah
Mara
Noah with Mara (I <3 Noah Shaw. Love him.)
More creepy hallucinations
Noah breaking Jude's face
A full collection of perverse childrens books, penned by Noah
SOME ANSWERS, PLEASE

*after reading book*
So remember in Mara's psyche file it says:
Sarin, orig. carrier; contraindication suspected, unknown; midazolam administered

So, it's creepy that Sarin, her mother's maiden name is mentioned. But the creepier part: I googled Midazolam, and it said this:
Midazolam i
Raeleen Lemay
VERY TWISTY PLOT. SUCH TWISTED CHARACTERS.

WOW
Jen
Originally posted here: http://www.makeshiftbookmark.com/2012...

OH.
MY.
EVER.
LOVING.
HELL.

The Evolution of Mara Dyer has just infiltrated and plundered my brain and I can't sleep until I tell you about it.

You know that feeling that you hope and wish for every time you read a book but, more often than not, are underwhelmed? That notion where, "hey, what good is life anyway if I'm not reading this very book in this very moment?" That moment when you build up this elaborate hypothesis in your brain a
Joie
The unfortunate byproduct of being a high school senior is that I don't have much time to read. Not as much as I used to, anyway. Before, I was able to finish a book in less than a week, and now, quite frankly, I'm lucky if I make it through half of the book in that time.

This book took me three days to finish.

Three days.

GUYS. THREE DAYS.
description

Insanity. I don't even remember the last time I finished a book so quickly.

So here's how it all went down....

Me before reading:

description

Beyond excited. In fact, I may (or
Hailey (HailsHeartsNyc)
I found this one to be a bit slow at times but it did definitely deliver as far as the creepy twisted plot. I love trying to figure out what's going on. Also really love all the characters but sometimes I just got so frustrated wanting people to believe Mara!!!
Giselle
Well wasn't this a pleasant surprise! After being hugely disappointed with the way the first book turned from fabulously creepy to annoyingly romancy, I did not hold very high hopes for its sequel--even though I was (obviously) curious enough by the ending to still be looking forward to it. As you can tell, I had a very up and down relationship with that book. Fortunately, this sequel rocked it way harder than I could have hoped for!

From terrifying hand-made dolls (Dolls. Are. Terrifying!), to d
Blythe
Have you ever seen the movie The Strangers? If so, do you remember that one scene where the woman was in the foreground of her house, panicking, and in the background you see one of the white-masked strangers inside her house, watching her? Such a simple and subtle scene, that was. There was no music, no big bang to draw your attention to the stranger - nothing. Just complete and utter silence, aside from the sound of the woman taking short, panicked breaths. The subtlety of that one particular ...more
Destini Mia~ ♕ Sassy Lassie

“I’m afraid– I’m afraid I’m losing control.” I’m afraid I’m losing myself. The idea was a splinter in my mind. Always there, always stinging, even when I wasn’t conscious of it. Even when I wasn’t thinking about it.

What did I just read? My emotions are all over the place. Just when I thought I was getting answers, Michelle Hodkin slams me over the head with some grade A mindf*ckery. But who the hell am I fooling? I loved every second of it.

*All spoilers tagged *
Mara Dyer once believe
Kristalia
FINAL RATING: /

Just like me.

The last 20% were so worthy of 3.5 STARS.

I don't know if it is a standard for Michelle Hodkin or if i always get bored until i reach 70% of the book? Because it is the deal with me and Mara Dyer series. But, this time, i got some answers. But! I got confused as hell! And i loved that! Can you imagine? I actually loved this book. More than the first one anyway.

Now that i
Mizuki
Pre-review:

I'm at page. 255 and I want to list out a few things I wish Michelle Hodkin would write in the remaining part of The Evolution of Mara Dyer:

(1) Mara is in fact crazy.

(2) Jude, Mara's ex-boyfriend and would-be-rapist, is in fact dead.

(3)Whenever Mara thinks she's seeing Jude, it's only her seeing her imaginary stalker.

(4) Every single spooky event that has taken place in the book is either Mara's own handiwork or they taken place only in her head.

(5) Mara goes all psycho-bitch and kill
Shreya (CCReviews)
The Evolution of Mara Dyer was an absolutely thrilling sequel to the brain-wracking first novel in the series. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer was enchanting and exciting, but this one was ADDICTING. There are more twists and turns and exciting parts in this book then there are on a roller-coaster ride. One thing is for sure, once readers put this one down, they'll definitely need some time before picking up any other book.

Mara in this book, was let's just say, funny and in a way messed up as she wa
Jess
THE SCIENTIFIC THEORY: aka I’ve scoured the net, and yet none have mentioned the following theory pertaining to The Retribution of Mara Dyer
(edited to include A Clockwork Orange--found at the bottom.) (October: edited to include the Daniel Myer theory)

This all links back to Biotechnology. Otherwise known as David Shaw, Noah Shaw’s father.

Noah’s father owns a megacorporation that all stems from research in biotechnology. According to the UN Convention on Biological Diversity, Act 2, biotechn
Debra

Even better than the first book but also an even bigger cliffhanger...

Moving on to book 3 ASAP!
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
OH MY FREAKING- WHY DO YOU LEAVE ME HANGING LIKE THAT, WHY!? I just *sigh*.... Can it be October already, please?
Esmeralda
Before reading:
OH MY FREAKING GOD THE COVER IS SO PREEETTTTYYYY. (NOT SURE IF I SHOULD FAINT OR CRY)
WHY CAN'T THE BOOK COME OUT ALREALLY!!!!! I NEED IT, WANT IT, CRAVE IT. GAVE IT TO ME, GAVE IT ME HERE, GAVE IT TO ME NOW!!!!!!!
Waiting for this book to come out.

After reading:

The writing beautiful and haunting. The author has talent. However, Noah was just too much. Before All the Noah fangirls come with with torches and pitchforks. I will explain. Mara at some point believes she is crazy. We as
AriaStuckinWonderland
"I didn't think you had to make the choice you said you made then. But if I did have to choose between someone I love and a stranger, I would choose the one I love."

REACTION AFTER READING THE BOOK

I have mixed feelings about is book.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

On one hand, I liked all the scary bits, where Mara gets taunted by all these weird happenings, dreams, and creepy bloody messages. But on another hand, I feel totally torn, that I sort of guessed how this book was going to end. Or at least this specific book, no
Komal Mikaelson
Initial reaction After Completion

More like 2.5*. I am rounding it off to 3* because of the absolutely gorgeous covers.
That wasn't stupid at all

Throughout the book, there were two emotions warring: creepiness and annoyance. I was equally torn between the two and couldn't make up my mind as to what I really felt. Upto 60% of the book, that is. After that as you can perceive from my rating, annoyance won, hands down.

Random trivia (Jessie, for ya)
I did NOT like the first book, The Unbecoming of Ma
Jamie-leigh Haughn
This book was such a mind bender! I literally don't know when to believe what Mara is saying and when to not, she doesn't even know herself! There is definitely a creepy vibe to the book but not so much that I couldn't sleep! If you're looking for a psychological thriller I would recommend this series, I'm cited to finish it off with the last book.
Giselle at Book Nerd Canada
So I had this book burning a hole on my shelf wanting me to read it. I couldn’t even remember what happened in The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, so I had to amuse myself by reading spoiler reviews. (This is what happens when you’ve read it a year ago.) It’s unbelievably hard to find reviews with spoilers and I wished there was such a site that only did spoiler reviews lol. Now that would be an interesting blog! I read enough reviews to remember what happened so digging ino volume two wasn’t a problem ...more
Christine The Dark Romance Junkie *Principessa*

I've finally realised that this is one of those books, that I just cannot review.

But know this. I loved it :D
Lauren
Oh, hey, Noah Shaw fanatics? Get ready to have your world rocked.
Michael
I'm a complete mess right now. I don't know when I'll be able to put my thoughts into words.
Andrea
“I’ll walk forever with stories inside me that the people I love the most can never hear.”

BIG SHINY STARS

This book, uhm... What can I say about this book? Besides the fact that is brilliant, well written and awesomely brilliant? The book is THAT perfect.

The were parts of the book that i really considered Mara was really mad, in other parts it just felt that all what she was thinking totally made sense. Maybe I'm the one who's mad.
The book really catches you. In the middle was a little slow
Kate ❣
Oh my goshhhhhh!! This was SO GOOD!

All i can say is thank god i bought The Retribution of Mara Dyer yesterday, and didn't start this series when it first came out, oh wow, the wait would've been torturous! I feel for you poor people that had to wait!!

This book took around 100ish pages to get into for me, but that's probably my fault because i wasn't feeling reading at that moment.
But once this book got going, wowwww it was incredible!!

This was just one crazy turn after another, it was so creepy
Jeffanem
I loved The Unbecoming, and I love The Evolution just as much - if not more! This is one of those books that you can't put down. You know the kind - one of those that you say to yourself at 12:30AM "Just one more chapter, and then I'm going to bed." And then at 1:30, you're still telling yourself that you're just going to read one more chapter. And at 2:30? You just give up and stay up so you can finish your book.

And at 3:00AM? You're completely unable to sleep, because the cliffhanger at the e
∞ღнαrιღ∞
NOPE. ABSOLUTELY NOT. I don't believe it. THE ENDING!!!!!!!

Throughout the whole book, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry or just hide in my bedroom, under the covers of my bed (not that I think that's safe now). I was legit scared. Just. WOW.

Reiterating a point from my review of the first book: NOAH SHAW IS PERFECTION!!!!!

Okay now that I got that out of the way, (come on, it had to be said) let's keep talking about that ending. This is going to be very hard without spoilers. So. What was
Pilar ☽
NO! THAT CLIFFHANGER, BYE.

God, this book has some seriously creepy parts but it's so good! I'm quite enjoying this trilogy. This second installment left me a little confused though, I need to read the last book asap and find all the goddamn answers...
Caroline
ALRIGHT I finished this almost a whole day ago and even though I have started the third book I am still trying to wrap my head around what happened! I'm gonna review this properly, but first (let me take a selfie) I want to get all the spoilery stuff out of my system so don't read this next part if you haven't read the book!

(view spoiler)
  • Timepiece (Hourglass, #2)
  • Losing Lila (Lila, #2)
  • Apollyon (Covenant, #4)
  • Split Second (Pivot Point, #2)
  • Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle, #3)
  • Through the Ever Night (Under the Never Sky, #2)
  • Phoenix (Black City, #2)
  • Never Fade (The Darkest Minds, #2)
  • Unravel Me (Shatter Me, #2)
  • Embers and Echoes (Wildefire, #2)
  • Fire with Fire (Burn for Burn, #2)
  • Asunder (Newsoul, #2)
  • Shine (Shade, #3)
  • The Fall of Gods (A Welcome to the Underworld Novel, #2)
  • The Unbound (The Archived, #2)
  • The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden, #2)
  • Sweet Peril (The Sweet Trilogy, #2)
  • World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
At the age of sixteen, Michelle Hodkin lost the rights to her soul in a poker game with pirates just south of Natchez. Shortly thereafter, she joined an acting troupe and traveled the world performing feats of wonder and mischief. She has been seen on stages nationwide and earned rave reviews for her one woman performance of Titus Andronicus before writing the New York Times bestselling Mara Dyer ...more
More about Michelle Hodkin...

Mara Dyer (3 books)
  • The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1)
  • The Retribution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #3)
The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1) The Retribution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #3) The Mara Dyer Trilogy: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer; The Evolution of Mara Dyer; The Retribution of Mara Dyer Untitled Shadowhunters and Downworlders: A Mortal Instruments Reader

“If I were to live a thousand years, I would belong to you for all of them. If we were to live a thousand lives, I would want to make you mine in each one.” 1174 likes
“This was the boy I loved. A little bit messy. A little bit ruined. A beautiful disaster. Just like me.” 1092 likes