Start by marking “The Defender (Jackson Hole #6)” as Want to Read:
The Defender (Jackson Hole #6)

The Defender (Jackson Hole #6)

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  21 reviews
After escaping her troubled past, all Katie Bergstrom wants is to put down roots on her raptor rehabilitation facility outside Jackson Hole. She doesn't count on reconnecting with her estranged birth mother—or the recent appearance of a sexy ranch hand.

Former marine Joe Gannon is used to a life of risk. Working on the ranch, life is simpler…except
Published November 13th 2012 by Harlequin HQN (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Defender, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Defender

Susan
Very good book. I really liked both Katie and Joe. Katie was running a raptor rehab facility. She got into raptors as a foster teen and they have been her life ever since. She has also wondered about her birth mother and when she finds out about her she makes contact. Her mom isn't what she expected but she wants to know her anyway. Katie also hires Joe to help at the raptor center. She is attracted to him and feels that he is a man she could fall for - he seems to be a very good guy, honest and ...more
Crystal
I adored The Defender by Lindsay McKenna. This is the 3rd book I have read in this series and each one has lived up to the last. I have became a huge fan of Lindsay's.

Katie Bergstrom has spent her whole life looking for her real mother. She was lucky enough to meet her foster mother Donna and become interested in falconry. She has a new facility that has been for her to take care of her raptors. Katie is such a sweet innocent young woman that has found her lot in life.

When Joe Gannon applies fo
Karen
DNF. I picked this one up because of an interest in falconry and raptor rescue, and was intrigued by an author who was into the same thing enough to write about it. Well, she might like their great "psychic energy," but she didn't take much care with accuracy-- starting with the bouncer about eagles not having eyelids (they have three, actually-- a top and bottom like ours, and a clear nictitating membrane that can protect the eye from dust and weather, and allows them to stare pretty much strai ...more
Rhonda
The Defender by Lindsay McKenna
4 STARS

I really liked all the information about the birds. It made the story so strong. Thier are a few love scenes that I skimmed over.
The Defenders deals with real issues like Eagles and other predators rehab. adoption,foster care,drug cartels and drug addiction.
Katie Bergstrom works in her new raptor rehabilitation facility near Jackson Hole.
It was built for her a dude ranch with a grant that even pays her. Katie was given up for adoption. She was a troubled te
Sarah - Exploring All Genres
2.5 stars.

The publisher provided me with a copy of this book to review via NetGalley.

I had such high hopes for this book. I had really enjoyed the previous two books in this series and nearly feel over with excitement when I found out there would be more books coming. So needless to say I was dying to get my hands on The Defender when it was announced. I was so happy to get approved to receive a copy to review. Unfortunately though all that excitement dwindled once I started to read the book.

Fro
Emily
The storyline is decent (probably three stars), but this (as well as other Lindsay McKenna books I have read) includes a lot of characters telling other characters things that they already know. If I could give 1.5 stars, I would.

I realize that falconry and raptor rehab is a specialized field and most readers aren't familiar with things (I interned at a raptor facility, and even had the chance to work with some eagles). Explanations are necessary, but put it in the narration, not the dialogue.
Hsiau Wei
This book tell the story of Joe who went undercover to investigate the involvement of Katie in her mother’s drug and gun activities in his hometown, Jackson Hole. Joe applied to be her assistant in her falconry given that he was under training by a well known falcon expert after his accident. Katie whom her mother has given her up for adoption has never given up locating her birth mother and thru a private investigator, Norah, she finally realised the true identity of her mother. But it did not ...more
Faye Ridpath
I loved this book, but it had serious continuity issues.

Katie would tell Joe something about her past and a few chapters later, she would be telling him again, like it was the first time she had ever told him.

This book needs an editor.

It has the potential to be a great book, but the continuity issues make me feel like I'm reading a novelised version of "Groundhog Day", and were too distracting for me to thoroughly immerse myself and enjoy this story.
Linda
This book started slow but it finally caught up and the story of Jackson Hole continues with Katie Bergstrom trying to locate her birth mother and FBI agent Joe Gannon who was trying to find out if Katie was involved in the illegal drug trafficking that her birth mother was. It wasn't long before Joe knew that Katie had nothing to do with her mother but now he needed to use her to catch the real drug kings.
Janeiowa
The writing was immature, clumsy and repetitive. The characters weren't believable.
Willow Brook
I gave this a try because the falconry aspect of the story sounded interesting and the plot seemed like it would be lively. Instead the story was bogged down by dialogue that was both leaden and repetitive. The H immediately swooned at first sight of the h and that was from a distance through binoculars. His heart kept leaping in his chest and he was filled with joy before he even spoke to the h who was like a Disney princess. I was waiting for the raptors to help her dress in the morning. I con ...more
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: The Wyoming Series
Category: Contemporary Romance
"Set in the shadows of the majestic Tetons, McKenna's suspenseful, intense romance has a definitive western feel while dealing very contemporary problem. Her hero and heroine are admirably moral and honorable, but the real stars of the novel wear feathers." RT Book Reviews, rated 4 stars.
Moira
Interesting read especially in regards to falconry. It was fun to learn new facts about these amazing animals. The story was good too- of balancing honesty in a relationship against the job demands. Joe and Katie manage it fine and it was nice to meet old characters from other books in the series although the book can also be read as a stand alone.
Tracey
I was lucky enough to win this book right before Christmas and I loved it! Even with everything going on with the holidays, I still made time to read it. It flowed very well and hooked you right from the start. It is a great book.
Amy-nicole
This book is HORRIBLY written! Basic writing techniques are ignored, the characters' "back stories" are repeated over and over and over. I felt like I was reading a novel written by a twelve year old...
Amuse
I had read enough and just could not take any more Harlequin shlock. Hence, i-quit.
Norma Fisher
It was a good book. Some romance and some suspense. Enjoyed it
Gail
Good story but the writing is a little subpar.
Leigh Ann
a little slow but nice story
Shannon
Great book.
Wolfmoon
Wolfmoon marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Shelia
Shelia marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Maureen
Maureen marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Maggie
Maggie added it
Jun 07, 2015
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Carly Ann
Carly Ann marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
ClassicMaiden
ClassicMaiden marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Bobby Noviarman
Bobby Noviarman marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
  • Devil's Lake
  • Hijacked (The Appalachian Foothills #1)
  • Mind Reader
  • Vanished (Saved, #2)
  • Hunted (Edgars Family, #2)
  • The True Beast (Full Moon Mercy, #2)
  • The Innocent (FBI Psychics, #4.5)
  • No Safe Haven
  • Under Currents
  • Dangerous Protector (Federal Paranormal Unit, #2)
  • Callahan Cowboy Triplets (Callahan Cowboys, #12)
  • The Bobcat's Tale (Blue Moon Junction, #2)
  • Stutter Creek
  • The Sheik's Captive Bride (The Jawhara Sheiks Series Book 3)
  • Act of Surrender (PSI-Ops / Immortal Ops, #2)
  • Broken World (Broken Beauty Novellas #2)
  • Secret Identity  (Cooper, #8)  (Cooper Security, #1)
  • Saving Scarlett (Ashland Pride Five)
I've lived six lives in one and it all shows up in the books I write, one way or another.

I was always a risk taker and broke mustangs at thirteen years old in Oregon. I learn to break them with love, not threat or pain.

At 17 years old, I picked night-crawlers (worms) out in our Oregon orchards from 9pm to midnight, every night. I earned enough money to buy my school clothes and book. I also plunk
More about Lindsay McKenna...

Jackson Hole (10 books)
  • Shadows from the Past (Jackson Hole #1)
  • Deadly Identity (Jackson Hole, #2)
  • Deadly Silence (Jackson Hole, #3)
  • The Last Cowboy  (Jackson Hole, #4)
  • The Wrangler  (Jackson Hole, #5)
  • The Loner (Jackson Hole #7)
  • High Country Rebel (Jackson Hole #8)
  • Wolf Haven
  • Night Hawk (Jackson Hole, #10)
The Last Cowboy  (Jackson Hole, #4) Unforgiven (Warriors for the Light #1) The Wrangler  (Jackson Hole, #5) Down Range (Shadow Warriors, #2) The Loner (Jackson Hole #7)