The Defender (Jackson Hole #6)

The Defender (Jackson Hole #6)

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  17 reviews
After escaping her troubled past, all Katie Bergstrom wants is to put down roots on her raptor rehabilitation facility outside Jackson Hole. She doesn't count on reconnecting with her estranged birth mother—or the recent appearance of a sexy ranch hand.

Former marine Joe Gannon is used to a life of risk. Working on the ranch, life is simpler…except...more
Published November 13th 2012 by Harlequin HQN (first published January 1st 2012)

Susan
Very good book. I really liked both Katie and Joe. Katie was running a raptor rehab facility. She got into raptors as a foster teen and they have been her life ever since. She has also wondered about her birth mother and when she finds out about her she makes contact. Her mom isn't what she expected but she wants to know her anyway. Katie also hires Joe to help at the raptor center. She is attracted to him and feels that he is a man she could fall for - he seems to be a very good guy, honest and...more
Crystal
I adored The Defender by Lindsay McKenna. This is the 3rd book I have read in this series and each one has lived up to the last. I have became a huge fan of Lindsay's.

Katie Bergstrom has spent her whole life looking for her real mother. She was lucky enough to meet her foster mother Donna and become interested in falconry. She has a new facility that has been for her to take care of her raptors. Katie is such a sweet innocent young woman that has found her lot in life.

When Joe Gannon applies fo...more
Karen
DNF. I picked this one up because of an interest in falconry and raptor rescue, and was intrigued by an author who was into the same thing enough to write about it. Well, she might like their great "psychic energy," but she didn't take much care with accuracy-- starting with the bouncer about eagles not having eyelids (they have three, actually-- a top and bottom like ours, and a clear nictitating membrane that can protect the eye from dust and weather, and allows them to stare pretty much strai...more
Rhonda
The Defender by Lindsay McKenna
4 STARS

I really liked all the information about the birds. It made the story so strong. Thier are a few love scenes that I skimmed over.
The Defenders deals with real issues like Eagles and other predators rehab. adoption,foster care,drug cartels and drug addiction.
Katie Bergstrom works in her new raptor rehabilitation facility near Jackson Hole.
It was built for her a dude ranch with a grant that even pays her. Katie was given up for adoption. She was a troubled te...more
Sarah - Exploring All Genres
2.5 stars.

The publisher provided me with a copy of this book to review via NetGalley.

I had such high hopes for this book. I had really enjoyed the previous two books in this series and nearly feel over with excitement when I found out there would be more books coming. So needless to say I was dying to get my hands on The Defender when it was announced. I was so happy to get approved to receive a copy to review. Unfortunately though all that excitement dwindled once I started to read the book.

Fro...more
Emily
The storyline is decent (probably three stars), but this (as well as other Lindsay McKenna books I have read) includes a lot of characters telling other characters things that they already know. If I could give 1.5 stars, I would.

I realize that falconry and raptor rehab is a specialized field and most readers aren't familiar with things (I interned at a raptor facility, and even had the chance to work with some eagles). Explanations are necessary, but put it in the narration, not the dialogue....more
Hsiau Wei
This book tell the story of Joe who went undercover to investigate the involvement of Katie in her mother’s drug and gun activities in his hometown, Jackson Hole. Joe applied to be her assistant in her falconry given that he was under training by a well known falcon expert after his accident. Katie whom her mother has given her up for adoption has never given up locating her birth mother and thru a private investigator, Norah, she finally realised the true identity of her mother. But it did not...more
Willow Brook
I gave this a try because the falconry aspect of the story sounded interesting and the plot seemed like it would be lively. Instead the story was bogged down by dialogue that was both leaden and repetitive. The H immediately swooned at first sight of the h and that was from a distance through binoculars. His heart kept leaping in his chest and he was filled with joy before he even spoke to the h who was like a Disney princess. I was waiting for the raptors to help her dress in the morning. I con...more
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: The Wyoming Series
Category: Contemporary Romance
"Set in the shadows of the majestic Tetons, McKenna's suspenseful, intense romance has a definitive western feel while dealing very contemporary problem. Her hero and heroine are admirably moral and honorable, but the real stars of the novel wear feathers." RT Book Reviews, rated 4 stars.
Moira
Interesting read especially in regards to falconry. It was fun to learn new facts about these amazing animals. The story was good too- of balancing honesty in a relationship against the job demands. Joe and Katie manage it fine and it was nice to meet old characters from other books in the series although the book can also be read as a stand alone.
Tracey
I was lucky enough to win this book right before Christmas and I loved it! Even with everything going on with the holidays, I still made time to read it. It flowed very well and hooked you right from the start. It is a great book.
Amy-nicole
This book is HORRIBLY written! Basic writing techniques are ignored, the characters' "back stories" are repeated over and over and over. I felt like I was reading a novel written by a twelve year old...
Amuse
I had read enough and just could not take any more Harlequin shlock. Hence, i-quit.
Norma Fisher
It was a good book. Some romance and some suspense. Enjoyed it
Gail
Good story but the writing is a little subpar.
Leigh Ann
a little slow but nice story
Katie Billings
Katie Billings marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Chantal-louise
Chantal-louise marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Jane Gardner
Jane Gardner marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Jill Bolken
Jill Bolken marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Genny Moore
Genny Moore marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Debbie Madison
Debbie Madison marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Danielle Petersen
Danielle Petersen marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The Last Cowboy  (Jackson Hole, #4) The Wrangler  (Jackson Hole, #5) Unforgiven (Warriors for the Light #1) The Loner (Jackson Hole #7) Shadows from the Past (Jackson Hole #1)