Start by marking “Suddenly You” as Want to Read:
Suddenly You

Suddenly You

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  574 ratings  ·  83 reviews
The definition of a happy man?The guy who knows exactly what he wants and has it. That's Harry Porter. He's got the perfect job, the best buddies and no commitments beyond the next good time. It's the ideal life.

Then he stops to help Pippa White when she's stranded by the side of the road. He's known—and liked—her for a while, but as the ex of a friend, she's entirely off-
Published October 30th 2012 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Suddenly You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suddenly You

Playing the Part by Darcy DanielJust This Once by Rosalind  JamesHer Best Friend by Sarah MayberryDream Fever by Katherine SutcliffeTree Change by Téa Cooper
Kiwis and Aussies in love
37th out of 173 books — 72 voters
Worth the Fall by Claudia ConnorMotorcycle Man by Kristen AshleyLaw Man by Kristen AshleyWild Man by Kristen AshleySweet Dreams by Kristen Ashley
Littles: Children in Contemporary Romance
29th out of 121 books — 16 voters

More lists with this book...

Jae
This was such a fun-with-lots-of-sexy read. Took me by surprise, really, that a struggling single mother versus an ultimate Peter Pan could make a sizzling romance. And I LOVVIT!

Harry Porter and Pippa White were well matched. I loved their wits and strength to stand for what they believe in. Most of all the banters. Silly crazy banters do it for me. Every time.

These are my favourite ones:

"How have you been Harry? How's Hogwarts going? Cast any good spells lately?"
"Made some underwear disappear
Tina
Pippa is a young single mother who is struggling a bit financially. Her ex-boyfriend and father of her child has balked on helping with child support and wants nothing to do with their daughter. So she is one real disaster away from insolvency.

That disaster almost happens when her car breaks down on the side of the road. She knows it will cost a fortune to get it fixed. But fortune is in fact smiling on her as she is spotted by Harry Porter. Best friend of her ex, someone that she has always reg
Maldivianbookreviewer
Sarah Mayberry’s final book for the year 2012 was certainly a delightful surprise and a wonderful. wonderful read. I say a delightful surprise because most of the time I mope around a little after reading Mayberry’s latest release because the wait for the next book always seems so long. However, since life is so busy at the moment, I hardly got a chance to worry about this and it was by sheer luck that I came across a tweet that mentioned the release of this book at the end of October. And of co ...more
Jacob Proffitt
Okay, first off, and I have to get this out of the way before I can get to anything more coherent, Harry is absolutely irresistible. A grown-up man-child with serious fix-it skills on the cusp of accepting adult responsibilities is hard to resist. Add six-foot-two with muscles to spare and it's hard to read through the drooling.

And poor Pippa. She knows exactly who he has been and how bad a bet he is relationship-wise. How could she possibly know that he has turned a corner and started making th
Susan
Good book. I really liked both these characters. Pippa is a single mother trying to deal with a rough road. The father of her baby walked away when she got pregnant. He has refused any kind of child support and she is struggling to make ends meet while working and going to school. When her car breaks down her ex's best friend stops to help. He is a contented guy. He has his job as a mechanic and no responsibilities. He can hang out with his friends, go out drinking and have a good time with the ...more
Lyuda
Nice story with realistic characters, sparking dialog and great chemistry. Harry, 31 years old car mechanic, is driving from work and looking forward to his typical carefree fun filled , no string attached, weekend. Suddenly, he spotted a familiar yellow car pulled off the road and obviously broken. The car belongs to his best mate's ex-girlfriend Pippa. The last time they saw each other was six months ago at the hospital after the birth of Pippa' s and Steve's daughter Alice. Harry couldn't exp ...more
Michelle [Helen Geek]

Story Appreciation = 4 Stars
Worth the Chili = 5 Stars -- [$3.82 on Amazon]
Smexy [HEAT] Rating = Mild to Moderate
281 pages

I'm reading some of this author's other books and then may come back and write a review for this one. I think, this one will be my favorite Sarah Mayberry read because of Harry. I loved Harry. He really is the perfect man.
Rosario (http://rosario.blogspot.com/)
One night, heading into town for some fun, Harry Porter sees a car he recognises by the side of the road, clearly having broken down. It belongs to Pippa White, ex-girlfriend of a friend of his. That relationship didn't end well: Pippa became pregnant and decided to keep it, and Harry's friend has gone on and on about how she harassed him, even getting the government on his case to bleed him dry.

Harry always liked Pippa fine, though, and he's a good guy (not to mention a mechanic), so he stops
Kaetrin
Why I read it: I'm a fan of Sarah Mayberry books and when I saw Dear Author had a review up (which I haven't actually read yet) it reminded me that I hadn't bought this one yet. So I rectified that, stat. After the previous book I finished reading, I felt like a reliably good contemporary so I opened it up.

What it's about: (from Goodreads) The definition of a happy man? The guy who knows exactly what he wants and has it. That's Harry Porter. He's got the perfect job, the best buddies and no com
Sonya Heaney
It would be easy to hate Sarah Mayberry. No matter the subject matter, she always comes up with realistic, three dimensional characters and believable conflicts, and she manages to put them in situations we can all relate to. She’s right up there on my list of excellent contemporary romance writers, and as an extra bonus, her books are mostly set in Australia, which isn’t a very common occurrence.

This book is loosely connected to another Mayberry book: All They Need. I’d recommend that one too.

W
Sara  HarlequinJunkie
Reviewed at: HarlequinJunkie.com

I LOVED this book, Suddenly You deals with complex relationships and yet it is beautiful in it’s simplicity!

Pippa is left holding the baby literally and figuratively when the father her ex boyfriend Steve walked away without a single thought or remorse for the well being of her or their little daughter. Steve refuses to pay child support and Pippa is struggling financially to keep a roof over their heads.

When Pippa's car breaks down and she is stranded in the mid
Frezanda
I thank all the agents and editors in Harlequin who found and nurtured Sarah Mayberry.
If not, how can I be awed by her talents?
Hehehehe.

This book is a testament of how talented Sarah Mayberry is as a writer. I know all the reviews here has already said it often, let me write it again: Her characters are so real.
There is nothing fancy about the story in this new book. It's just about a bad boy fell in love with a single mother ( A plot that has been rehashed so many times by romance novels out th
Jen
Love this - sexy, sweet and satisfying. Both Pippa and Harry feel pressure to be a certain something for someone else and so there's a lot of delicious resisting and verbal sparring and of course that makes it even yummier when they give in.
And it's not just good sex and witty repartee - there's a scene between Harry and his father that had me near to weeping. I loved the relationships these two characters had with their families.
P.S. I also enjoyed how Mayberry doesn't beat the reader over th
Brianne
I think the thing I loved most about this book was how down to earth and realistic the whole thing was. There was no mastery strategy behind the actions of the characters. No one was trying to one up another or get revenge for some past misdeed. There were two people who had been friends who fall in love when maybe they shouldn't and then have to deal with life. All the characters, not just Harry and Pippa, have to make hard decisions and deal with what life throws at them. All the relationships ...more
Marita
Oh hell. I love Harry. Like LOOOOVVVVVEEEEE him. And my biggest problem isn't that he's fictional (because when has that ever stopped me before) it's that he's so beautifully taken that I can't even begrudge him that.

I love Pippa and her resilience and cheerfulness and determination to do everything she can for the daughter she loves so much. I love that she didn't let her baby daddy's extremely dickhead-ish behaviour make her bitter or vindictive; she just continued doing what she had to do thr
Kristiej
When I discovered Sarah Mayberry, I discovered a wonderful author. I think I found her midway through her backlist so I was able to go back and forward. Love when that happens. I also discovered the joy of ereading part way through reading her books so while I have many now as ebooks, I don’t have them all. I was picking up her latest the other day and found a couple there that I didn’t have on Kindle, Kobo or IBooks (gotta love an IPad!!) so I added them to my ever growing list of Kindle books. ...more
Callixta

Il est inutile de dire à quel point Sarah Mayberry est talentueuse ; Elle s’attaque dans ce roman à un sujet qu’elle affectionne, celui de la seconde chance en amour. Elle y ajoute un petit plus qu’elle aime beaucoup aussi, celui de faire un couple avec un ami de l’ex de l’un des héros. Elle avait fait déjà écrit une romance particulièrement touchante où un homme tombait amoureux de l’a mie de sa femme décédée. Il y avait déjà un bébé dans cette histoire.
Jill Sorenson
Really enjoyed this story about a struggling single mom and tattooed bad boy gone good. What I've noticed about the two Mayberry books I've read (this one and Her Secret Fling) is that she does hero transformations exceptionally well. They start out as decent men making normal mistakes and end up great men doing the right thing. It makes for a very satisfying read.

Also, I loved the setting details and Australianisms. I could really hear the characters speak.
Nicole Helm
I read this book in a day. Probably my favorite Mayberry. It just feels so real and normal. I know that's not what everyone looks for in a romance, but that's my favorite. Realistic, decent people falling in love despite a conflict that's rooted in reality and character. If I had the real book instead of the ebook, I would have hugged it to my chest. It's just lovely and everything I want in a romance.
Maqluba
A nice romance between a quirky witty heroine and a tattooed commitment-phobe hero. Nothing too crazy but not too tame either, kind of a happy medium. All I have left to say by the end is holidays are going to be awkward for that kid growing up lol.
Holly
This author was new to me, and after reading the many good reviews, I thought I'd give her a try.
I enjoyed reading this story, although there were some problems.. I read many high quality
authors, and so my standard is quite high.
I never thought to stop reading, however, and that is significant.
This book has some sticky plot and character things happening, and the author handled it well.
The characters were for the most part realistic. This is tough to do with a complex plot.

Here are some of the
Sheryl
Nov 10, 2012 Sheryl marked it as to-read
I WON AN AUTOGRAPHED COPY OF THIS FROM SARAH HERSELF!!!!! WHEEEEEEE!!! Can't wait to read it!!!!
Brie C.
Aug 21, 2012 Brie C. marked it as to-read
I'm having a fan girl moment here, love the cover, can't wait to read the book!
Christina

Could not put it down. My favorite Sarah Mayberry book.
A. Bookzilla.
I love my Mayberries :D
Willow
I've got a serious thing happening right now for Sarah Mayberry. I discovered her about two months ago when I came across someone's review of Her Best Worst Mistake and it was this glorious, shining moment of YES! THIS! I had been losing my loving feeling for contemporary romance feeling myself getting...bored. I wanted more character development. I wanted sex that didn't feel like someone checking the expected moves off a list. I wanted charm and laughs and sighs. When I picked one up, none of ...more
Desere

Suddenly I want a hero just like this one perfectly crafted by a very talented author. The book was one of realistic and convincing romance happening with everyday real life elements.

Our hero in this one is a true bachelor, he works, he drinks, he has sex with willing woman and moves on. He is one of those "I like doing things my way and not having to worry about anything or anyone for that matter" kind.

But he comes face to face with the one woman he has always wanted and a series of events lea
Writerlibrarian
Best contemporary romance I'm read this year. The second is also from Sarah Mayberry. She, oh so rarely, disappoints. This relationship between Pippa and Harry you follow in almost real time, these two are two grown ups that struggle with being responsible adults, getting wake up calls in the form of having to face sometimes not very happy truths about oneself (Harry) or to do the 'right' thing (Pippa) because you are not in this life alone.

Both leads are amazingly 'real;' as I have come to exp
Regencyfan93
This author is new to me. She was spoken of highly on Smart Bitches, so I bought this more than a year ago and it finally made it to the top of TBR.

I liked that the book kept moving. I was surprised that it finished so quickly.

This is a rare m/f romance for me. I was impressed that the characters were equals in the relationship, as characters often are in m/m romance.

I will read more by Sarah Mayberry, though probably will not re-read Suddenly You.
  • Bring Him Home (Special Forces, #3)
  • Big Boy
  • Unexpected Family
  • How to Get Over Your Ex (Valentine's Day Survival Guide duet)
  • Saved By The Bride (Wedding Fever, #1)
  • Flirting With Intent (The Wests, #1)
  • Time Out
  • Never Stay Past Midnight
  • Beautiful Bad Man (Sutton Family, #1)
  • The Best Man
  • Housebound
  • Mistress of the Groom
  • Back to the Good Fortune Diner
  • Cold Pursuit (Cold Justice, #2)
  • The Sheriff's Daughter
  • Worth the Trip
  • Consumed
19909
Sarah Mayberry was born in Melbourne, Australia, and is the middle of three children. From the time that she first “stole” paper from kindergarten and stapled it together to make “books,” Sarah has always wanted to be a writer. In line with this ambition, on graduation from high school she completed a bachelor of arts degree majoring in professional writing, then sat down to write a book. When ins ...more
More about Sarah Mayberry...
Her Best Worst Mistake The Other Side of Us Anything for You Her Best Friend Her Favorite Temptation (Mathews Sisters, #1)

“Far, far easier to batten down the hatches and lock the world out than take a chance.” 0 likes