Living on Live Food

Living on Live Food

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  80 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Living on Live Food teaches you what a raw and living food diet is and how to get started immediately! But that's not all, this motivational book also covers such topics as: addiction to cooked foods, changing your thought process, being social while staying healthy, enzymes, acid-alkaline balance, strategies and techniques, matters beyond food... plus so much more. 290 Re...more
Published January 1st 2004 by Cohen

To ask other readers questions about Living on Live Food, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living on Live Food

Sfdreams
Oct 30, 2007 Sfdreams rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone considering raw
Shelves: reviewed
This is the best book, hands down, that I have read on eating raw, living foods. Alissa even includes a 4-week plan, with shopping lists, to get you started. It turned out I didn't need the full four week of menus--I got it right away and started creating my own recipes. She also has a website: www.rawfoodtalk.com that people can support each other on this lifestyle path. And she has a DVD that shows her in-home training that she offers, making several recipes and getting you started.
Rachel
Jun 20, 2007 Rachel rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People interested in a raw foods diet
Shelves: cookbooks
This is a pretty good beginner book that can convince even the biggest skeptic that the raw lifestyle is the way to go. Great recipes and a 45 day sample menu of the author's diet. It is a great way to figure out what a true raw foodist eats and how to do it easily. What I dislike about the book is that the author tries to convince the reader that they HAVE TO be 100% raw or they won't benefit from eating raw, which I feel is a false statement. Plus, not a whole lot of science behind her claims....more
Sue
No, you do not need to eat raw foods %100 of the time, but if you are looking to become inspired by something " different" in your diet, Raw Foods may be the answer for you. This book is filled with beautiful pictures and healthy recipes ! The many stories of with health issues and weight struggles, will have you shouting out "That's me !" Alissa Cohen is so approachable and real to me. She does not preach or make you feel like a diet failure. She encourages you to take %60 of your meals and mak...more
Sacha Head
This was a really interesting book about raw foodism. I don't plan on doing it, but I really like that her tone is about helping people, not being condescending. She gives scientific support without being confusing and has TONS of recipes in the back. I don't think I'd be able to do it, but it was fascinating to read about. Plus, the author is in really great shape. I like that she doesn't make her food choices all about "saving the planet". It's only about her health.
Stephanie
Alissa gives it to you raw - and makes it easy to understand why this is such a powerful way to eat. Tidbits such as "eat only when you're hungry" and "eat enough to be full" make it feel like I'm learning to truly nourish myself for the first time. And the desserts! I may never fire up a stove burner again. Just me, the Vita-Mix, new and improved energy, and - finally, after all these years - weight loss. (Yes, vanity wins again. What can I say?)
Sophia
Feb 19, 2008 Sophia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in raw and WHY to do it. The first part is great.
This is an excellent Raw starter book. I love it because this book and her video is what got me fired up about raw in the first place. My only hesitance is that the recipes are not thaaaat great. Read it, try some, but definitely get some other raw recipe books before you discount that you can do it!
Rebecca
This book is huge with interesting concepts about food and diet. This was my first step to eating raw (veggies, seeds, fruits, nuts, sprouts - not heated over 115 degrees) The information is great, but the book is hard to navigate and quickly find what you are looking for. I still think it's a great book!
Abigail
Wonderful introduction to a raw and living food lifestyle. Very inspiring and filled with success stories and recipes. Alissa's newer book Raw Food for Everyone is also a great and updated version of this, too!
Swanelle
This book is half informational, half recipes. Good on both fronts. Lots of really easy raw recipes. The companion video was really helpful as this was the first book I purchased on the raw and living foods lifestyle.
Jamie
Though she made the raw diet more easy (ie just eat 4 apples for breakfast) I still couldn't ever go 100%. Had some inspiring stories from people who went totally raw.
Miriam
Love this book even though I wish it was easier to carry around. We need a reference guide version. This book is HUGE!
Wendy Crittenden
i think this has good intro recipes, and i still use the book now that i am well established in my rawness.
The intro is good for the basics, but the recipes fall short in the variety of taste.
Marcie
A must read for anyone interested in eating raw or vegan.
Christine
Jul 14, 2008 Christine rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone considering going raw
In 1999 I spent 3 weeks at the Ann Wigmore Institute in Puerto Rico. I loved the concept of raw food, but had a hard time with both the time it took to and the food itself. I was so happy when I discoverd this book. Alissa Cohen makes living raw a real treat. Her recipes are exciting and simple.

Although I haven't been able to stay 100% raw, her book has been a great help. I highly recommend it to anyone whose considering raw foods, or who has been living raw and wants to see food differently.
Mia Campbell
Mia Campbell marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Sasa
Sasa marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Sanja Zjalic
Sanja Zjalic marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Tania
Tania marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Raw Food for Everyone: Essential Techniques and 300 Simple-to-Sophisticated Recipes Raw Food for Everyone: Essential Techniques and 300 Simple-to-Sophisticated  Recipes Profoundly Raw: Inspiring Guidance Offered By 12 Raw Food Authors