Start by marking “Her Mother's Shadow” as Want to Read:
Her Mother's Shadow

Her Mother's Shadow (Kiss River #3)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  2,144 ratings  ·  196 reviews
Annie

A loving mother and wife, Annie O'Neill was the heart of the small community of Kiss River. But her generous nature hid a darker side that remained secret for years after her tragic death.

Lacey

When Lacey O'Neill finally learns the shattering truth about the mother she's spent a decade emulating, the foundation of her life begins to crumble. The
Published October 16th 2012 by Harlequin MIRA (first published February 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Her Mother's Shadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Her Mother's Shadow

Jennifer Wardrip
Diane Chamberlain is a master storyteller, able to blend romance with women's fiction in a seamless flow of words. In a trilogy set in North Carolina's Outer Banks, HER MOTHER'S SHADOW is the grand finale to a tale that began with KEEPER OF THE LIGHT and flowed flawlessly into KISS RIVER.

HER MOTHER'S SHADOW focuses on Lacey O'Neill, a woman in her late twenties who has spent the past decade molding herself into the image of her mother. When Lacey was thirteen, her mother, "Saint Anne," was fatal
Darby
This was my favorite of the series and the third and last in the series. It had me in tears and made me feel a wide range of emotions tied to what was happening the characters. I cared about them and what was happening to them. This as the other two in the series was a page turner and easy read. I am really enjoying this authors books and going to keep putting them on my reading list!
clio teixeira
I have officially fallen in love with Diane Chamberlain's writing. I recently read her "Kiss River Trilogy" and highly recommend it bt pleeeaaasseee do yourself a favor and avoid reviews that give away too much- even well-intentioned reviewers often give away too of the plot- and PLEASE read the trilogy in order: "Keeper of the Light", "Kiss River" and "Her Mother's Shadow"..I was blessed, lucky or whatever that I read "Keeper of the Light" first and knew nothing about the book order than the bl ...more
Sandra
Great book! It really tied up the story of the O'Neill family and it was very enjoyable. I ended up reading the second half of the book in one sitting! There's not much I can say about this book without giving things away, but like most of Diane Chamberlain's books, there were a few twists to the story. I actually figured out two of the twists before they came out, but it didn't detract from the story at all. I can highly recommend reading all of the books in the Kiss River trilogy - you could r ...more
Kathy
Well, the awesome Diane Chamberlain has done it again! I just loved the final instalment of the Kiss River trilogy – Her Mothers Shadow – This one being my favourite of the series. Her Mothers Shadow tied up the three books of the O’Neill family nicely and I thoroughly enjoyed the people, the storyline, the secrets and the setting. Great read!

Denise
Aug 25, 2008 Denise rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Jodi Picoult
Recommended to Denise by: Readers at Diane's blog: www.dianechamberlain.com
This was the third book in the Keeper of the Light trilogy. It was excellent, and I wish Diane would follow-up on these amazing characters.

Diane's books are always full of complex interesting characters, good plots, family relationships and drama, suspense and many secrets to be revealed in the end.
Denise
I loved the Keeper of the Light trilogy (this was the 3rd book in the trilogy) and one of the best.
Liz
LOVED this book. It is the third in a trilogy. I highly reccomend anything that this author has wrote!
Judy Collins
Wow!!!! The Kiss River Series was amazing!!! It belongs on the BEST BOOKS EVER (which I voted) and movie based on Her Mother’s Shadow. I was so sorry to see the trilogy end, as would love to see a continuation of all the loveable characters and the new ones. It is hard to say which one was my favorite as they are all unique; however, Her Mother’s Shadow was excellent and would have to say the grand finale was exceptional and the best!!!

It was a Nook book which I read in two days, and blew off w
Rachelle Ayala
Healing can't begin until the truth is known. For too long, Lacey O'Neill has held her mother's memory hostage. She compares everything she does against what her mother would have done. When her best friend dies and leaves Lacey as guardian for her trouble preteen daughter, Lacey is forced to reevaluate everything she knew about her mother, her mother's murderer and every family relationship in her web. Secrets are spilled, but healing follows.

This is a heart touching story about love, redemptio
Walt
I just finished reading "In Her Mother's Shadow" - finishing the "Keeper of the Light" trilogy. Once again, I finished in one big swoop, staying up most of the night with it bt what a journey!! I loved the way Diane Chamberlain concluded the trilogy though I want more and feel that there are still quite a few books left. IMO, Diane did a great job with developing the characters. It was such a delight to see them all evolve and "grow up". I read all the 3 books within a day or so of each other an ...more
Barb
This was my favorite book of the three "Kiss River" series books. All along, I've just loved Lacey. It's taken her some time to come into her own, but she does and shines in this book . . . now, I'm interested to see if Mackenzie will have her own story. I really like how Ms. Chamberlain brings all the characters together and intertwines them through the novels. As for Annie, where the stories all began, I still did not warm up to her character. I recommend reading the Kiss River series ;)
Melanie
This book is the last one in the trilogy starting with Keeper of the Light, then Kiss River. They were all good books, but Kiss River was my least favorite. I liked following the lives of the O'Neill family. It is better to read all three books in order. Diane Chamberlain paints such a vivid description of the Outer Banks that I want to book a vacation there now. She always throws in an unexpected surprise at the end of each book. I'm sad to be finished with all three!
Brenda Whitner
I am sad that this trilogy is over with. The books were very good. I liked the second one the best. I kind of had this one figured out. It was very good though. I love all of the characters in the book. I loved the subject of forgiveness that it faced. Lacey played a very strong part in this book. Her character is very likable. I wish there was another book to tell us how everyone got along. But there is no mystery to that right. Excellent read.
Jan
I'll give this one 3.5 stars. Like Kiss River, I just didn't feel the connection to the characters like I did to the older generation in Keeper of the Light. I wasn't convinced of their connection. Still, Chamberlain didn't fail to surprise me with the twists in the end! I like how the trilogy wrapped up.
Suz
This was the first of Chamberlain's books I read. This isn't my normal genre to read, but was pleasantly surprised by the way the author weaved multiple story lines into one ccohesive read.
Denise Sales
My edition didn’t make it clear that this was the third book of a trilogy. I actually don’t think it matters much though as it can easily be read on its own. It hasn’t remotely enticed me to read the previous two, or indeed any possible subsequent books in the series.

I’m quite astonished at the glowing tributes it apparently received from a variety of publications; ‘exquisite’, ‘you won’t want to put it down’, ‘gripping summer read’ etc. It irked me somewhat to guess who Rick really was as soon
Deb
I had nearly all the twists figured out. It was still nice to read about these characters and wrap the trilogy up.
Phyllis
Family situations. Takes places in south carolina
Olga
I think the third book in the Kiss River trilogy was the most beautiful due to its focus on forgiveness. I loved that Lacey was the focus on the story and that she was helping another child who had lost her mother, her best friend's child, Mackenzie. The characters in this novel were just as great as in the previous books, and I really liked the secrets. At first I didn't really like the parts with Fred's mother, but they ended up making sense. I love Diane Chamberlain and will continue reading ...more
Heather
Diane Chamberlain creates another beautiful masterpiece with Her Mother's Shadow. This story centers around Lacey O'Neill, now grown up, as she still struggles to cope with her mother's death and legacy and how those experiences in her youth have shaped her life. Her mother's killer is coming up on parole, and the O'Neills will need to work together to write victims statements if they hope to keep the murderer behind bars. Lacy is forced to revisit some very painful memories in her past, and in ...more
Sharon
Oct 13, 2013 Sharon rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Melissa, Amanda, Erika, Janet
This is the third in the Kiss River series, and like all of Diane Chamberlain's books, I found it dificult to put down. She is a wonderful storyteller, with likeable (even when they are not) characters, interesting storylines, set at the beautiful coast of North Carolina.

The secrets of the past still hold the characters, and slowly they emerge. Jesssica, Clay, Bobby, Rick - there secrets propel this story forward.

When Lacey O'Neill learns the truth about her "saintly" mother Annie, she vows to
Erin
This is the third book in DC's Kiss River trilogy. This book is focused on Lacey and her struggle to overcome her many demons including the constant comparison to both her mother and her own rebellious past. Chamberlain always manages to write relatable characters that the audience can relate to. I felt also that she was gentle with Lacey and didn't force a romance on to her but let it gradually develop. The added storyline of Lacey in a forced motherly role was great too.

I would recommend rea
Rebecca Greenwood
Another good book by Diane Chamberlain. Very upset to learn after finishing the book that it is the last book in a trilogy though, nowhere on the book does it say that it is part of a trilogy and although it was very easy to read as a stand alone book I like to read a series in order. However it is a very good book and you don't feel like you are missing anything important. A nice easy yet compelling read. I couldn't put it down.
Patrick Dawson
Diane's third book in the series had many twists and turns along the way to bring the series to a conclusion, and I was not disappointed. Her characters are fully developed, real, and easy to picture. The story shows the sad fact that people screw up. The sad thing is that it always seems that humans screw up and the results hurt so many others as a result...only if we all could think before we selfishly act. Diane's story deals with the impacts of those decisions, and although nearly everything ...more
Ellen Moore
This was an interesting novel with several twists and turns before the conclusion. Some parts were predictable--for example, the difficulties encountered when a young teenager is forced to move to another state with a person she does not know who has become her guardian upon the sudden death of her mother. Some other things were unexpected. Overall, I liked the book.
Merisa Marta
I picked this up not knowing it was a part of a trilogy. A last min resort book.... it was a bit slow starting off...But I loved how out it tied together... loved the book! but I don't think I'm going to go backwards to read the first 2.. any suggestions? Should I?
Vivienne
This was the 3rd book in The Kiss River trilogy and just as good as the last 2. I usually get fed up in trilogys but these stories were different members of the family and tied up all the loose ends. this one had twists that I hadn't seen coming highly recommend all three books
Nicole Long
I think this was a great ending to the Kiss River series. I found this book elicited a lot of emotions from me which is the sign of a great novel! It also surprised me several times with twists to the storyline that I did not expect. Great book!
Erin

I would recommend read
  • Twelve Times Blessed
  • Someone to Watch Over Me
  • Lover's Knot
  • A Cottage by the Sea
  • What Have I Done? (No Greater Love #2)
  • YOU: The Smart Patient: An Insider's Handbook for Getting the Best Treatment
  • The Son-in-Law
  • The Brass Dolphin
  • The Lost Hours
  • The Summer Everything Changed
Diane Chamberlain is the USA Today and London Times bestselling author of 23 novels published in more than twenty languages. Diane likes to write complex stories about relationships between men and women, parents and children, brothers and sisters, and friends. Although the thematic focus of her books often revolves around family, love, compassion and forgiveness, her stories usually feature a com ...more
More about Diane Chamberlain...

Kiss River (3 books)
  • Keeper of the Light (Kiss River #1)
  • Kiss River (Kiss River #2)
The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes The Midwife's Confession Necessary Lies The Silent Sister The Good Father