Start by marking “In Search of Saints” as Want to Read:
In Search of Saints

In Search of Saints

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  297 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Mitch is on a last-ditch drive to save his career with the Scottish Institute of Archaeology. His ex-lover Lewis has stolen his research into the legendary Pictish saints, mystical pre-Celtic statues hidden somewhere on mist-wreathed Dove Island. Now Mitch is tearing out to the coast in the hope of reaching the saints before his treacherous ex can stake a claim.

At Mitch’s
Published August 5th 2012 by Harper Fox (Fox Tales)

To ask other readers questions about In Search of Saints, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Search of Saints

Vio
The writing once again is poignant, with a vividness that makes this story so alluring and mysterious. Mitch and Owen are on an expedition to find the elusive mystical saints in the middle of nowhere, Mitch is tough to handle and treats his lover Owen atrociously. He's wired up, unpredictable and moody, Owen is no doormat you can feel him gritting his teeth at times. I think he allows Mitch to treat him like dirt because deep down he has a smidgen of hope that Mitch is in love with him and isn't ...more
Susan
Nov 14, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-favorites

This nugget had been sitting on my TBR for quite awhile. For my favorite authors, I try to save some backlist reads an savor them over time. And savor this is exactly what I did.

This might be one of my favorite Harper Fox books.

The backdrop is a mystic archeological site. The romance story line is a researcher, Mitch, the shiny ex-boyfriend he can’t get over, and the tried-and-true new love he has to come to appreciate or lose him forever. YES! This is perfection!

There’s betrayal here.
Kaje Harper
Aug 20, 2012 Kaje Harper rated it it was amazing
Harper Fox has an amazing gift of creating worlds I fall into, places I can touch and taste, peopled by men who are flawed and complex and solid at the core and so very real. This story is no exception.

Historical researcher Mitch is in a state of confusion, still reeling from a casual betrayal on a professional level by Lewis Ward,the man he loved. In his battered heart, gorgeous mercurial Lewis is the man he still wants, despite his best attempts to put that behind him. Owen is there for Mitch,
Arthur
Aug 26, 2012 Arthur rated it it was amazing
What would you do if the man you love still hung up on his ex, who not only stole his idea to get a grant but also lied to the whole academic establishment and made him looked like a whinny loser? You know that the minute the ex opens his arm, the man you love--who has become your current lover-would embrace his ex back and dump you at a whim?

And now, the ex is leading a complete archaeological team to prove your lover's theory, and you and your lover are a two-men team to compete with them, wit
Calathea
Lovely, intense, fast paced. A lot is happening in little space and short time with vivid images of the suroundings of Dove Island and characters that made me feel furious, exasperated, heartbroken on the way and content and happy in the end. I begged the MC to, please, be not so stupid, and pleaded with the autor while reading, that she, no, no, please, can't do this! I should have had more faith. So, all is well in the end and I'm the one smiling foolishly at this wonderful story.
Natalie
Aug 07, 2012 Natalie rated it liked it
2.5 stars, I think. This story is told in the first-person point of view of Mitch, and Mitch's head is an uncomfortable place to be. He's still reeling from the betrayal of his slimy ex, Lewis, who stole his archaeological research. Mitch now has a rebound guy, his assistant, Owen. Owen is a good man but Mitch can't help but compare him to Lewis. Owen isn't handsome like Lewis, not flashy or daring or exciting. Mitch can't even come during sex without fantasizing about Lewis. And Mitch is not ni ...more
Ami
Aug 12, 2012 Ami rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ami by: Vio
I think I've found the key to enjoying Harper Fox's stories ... the short ones *lol*. I remember loving the previous short that she released (All Roads Lead To You) and this one is no different.

I love the moody and rainswept background (I love rain, I can't help it). While Mitchell comes up in the beginning as a bastard for treating Owen wrongly, but I never feel like Owen is a doormat to him. In fact, Owen is the one who practically knocks some sense into Mitchell, even if he is doing it in a
Karen
Jun 12, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it
Sometimes you have to loose something before you realize...
How much it really meant to you.

Interestingly enough here again we have a case of one MC not treating the other MC as well as he should. Mitch is an historian whose research has been stolen by his ex-lover, Lewis and Mitch knows he should despise Lewis for this betrayal and he does but at the same time he knows he still loves or thinks he loves Lewis. Owen is the admin assistant who silently supports and loves Mitch. My feelings about
Chris
Aug 08, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, gay, done, short, ebook, 2012
3.5 stars. Good short m/m romance about an academic who's been too obsessed by his ex's betrayal to realize what he has with his new boyfriend.
Lily
A lovely story and my first taste of Harper Fox's style of writing. My one significant disappointment derives from the fact that such an abundant potential was severely restricted by the confines of a short story format. I wanted so much more, especially in the romance department since I adored Owen's quiet dignity and strength.
Anyta Sunday
Sep 07, 2012 Anyta Sunday rated it it was amazing
This short novella had me almost to the point of squealing. Yeah, it wasn’t pretty to listen to, but jeez was I deliciously giddy on the inside. I just couldn’t help it; I was so freaking excited to read another Harper Fox story.

And I was NOT disappointed. There are hit-and-miss authors out there, but I’m getting solid ‘Wows’ with each story of hers I try.

Okay, so for this review, I want to state that, despite giddy squealing, I was a little anxious as to how this story would play out as the tw
Plainbrownwrapper
Aug 10, 2012 Plainbrownwrapper rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, read-again-maybe
As always, I love Fox's prose. One random example:

"I tried to speak. Something was wrong with my throat, as if the rain had got in. Rain and rust and shame, enough to drown me."

This isn't my favorite Fox tale. For the best of Fox, try (in ascending order of length) Life After Joe, Driftwood, or Scrap Metal. But even though this doesn't rank at the top of her work, it's still plenty good. For one thing, it has plenty of that trademark Fox sense of place -- I swear, you'll have to search long and
Susan65
Nov 01, 2013 Susan65 rated it liked it
I must not have the waxing poetic gene because i did not find much in the way of redeeming qualities for Mitch. Why Owen would allow himself to be the consolation prize for Mitch is beyond me...and drove me crazy.
How could Mitch suddenly realize he loves Owen when he needed to fantasize about his ex just to orgasm? Nope, that is not the kind of love i want.
Besides that, the writing was tight and the story involving the Saints was very interesting...just couldn't get past the shallow, good looki
Jaya
Nov 04, 2012 Jaya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: good, slashreaders
SlashReaders: In Search of Saints", was all that I've come to expect from Harper Fox and more. I did of course wish that there was more to the story but overall I think that this worked well as a short. While things could have been drawn out more, the story its self did not need more.

This is a short, sweet book that boiled down to its essence is about love; love that is good for us, love that is not and quite a bit more. Mitch takes up with Owen on the rebound still hanging on to the glamor of h
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Nov 02, 2013 JustJen "Miss Conduct" rated it liked it
Shelves: mm, ebook, shorty

I really had trouble getting into this one. From the start, I didn't find any redeeming qualities about Mitch, who was pining away for his ex-boyfriend while treating his current beau, Owen, like total crap. And I really didn't understand why Owen continued to be such a doormat allowing Mitch to treat him so badly. When Mitch had to actually picture the ex while having sex with Owen just to get off, I lost interest.

I didn't have any actual problems with the writing, but simply found it unbeliev
Tami (synchro from BL)
Jun 25, 2013 Tami (synchro from BL) rated it it was amazing
This was an awesome read.

It had the same flowing, beautiful prose as most of Harper Fox' books, and the strong sense of atmosphere. I am wondering how she does it in short novellas like this one.

It had an elegant little mystery/history side plot - nicely done.

But what made it a really great read, was Owen. O my. How I love a gentle main character who is strong and reserved, not flashy, who doesn't whine, doesn't beg. (view spoiler)
Ambre
Jul 21, 2015 Ambre rated it liked it
Shelves: gay-fiction
I love Harper Fox becauso she can set a scene and provide local flavor with the best of them, and obviously takes her research seriously.

This book was great in those terms. As a romance, though, not so much.

Mitch spent the entire first half of the book badmouthing Owen in his head and obsessing over his ex (while comparing Owen to him unfavorably). He even had to imagine Owen was Lewis to climax. He didn't even care enough about Owen to be courteous, much less nice. Owen was dogged and loyal, bu
Hollis Shiloh
Dec 07, 2013 Hollis Shiloh rated it it was amazing
I'm constantly amazed by Ms. Fox's ability to make me love and care about characters I didn't think I'd be able to. The main character in this is angry, selfish, and very flawed. Yet she makes me care about and root for him, both to change and to have the happy ending I know is coming. Great read!
Page Crusherz
Aug 26, 2012 Page Crusherz rated it really liked it
Overall, I loved it. Great settings, great characters. I was a little annoyed with the MC for a large part of the book, but I was definitely won over.
Bo
Jan 12, 2016 Bo rated it really liked it
We Need a Sequel

Mitch and Owen are two characters I would like to see again. They get through this novella by discovering more about each other by being themselves, which in the case of Mitch is almost as selfish as his ex-lover, and in the case of Owen coming to the conclusion that he is better than what some people think of him. Especially Mitch.

The harrowing action scenes toward the end of this book are brilliantly worked out, and the resolution to several of the major issues, including those
Ery
Aug 26, 2012 Ery marked it as to-read
Shelves: top-of-the-heap
Ack! All my fav authors keep producing books! I can't keep up!
Samington
I enjoyed Mitch's point of view, as difficult a guy as he could be sometimes, but Owen was less fleshed out: he was broad and serious and faithful, I suppose, but I was never really drawn to him and found it hard to really invest myself in his relationship with Mitch. As flashy and unkind as Mitch's ex-boyfriend Lewis was, he was also the more interesting character. Like MItch, I found myself choosing him over Owen in general, which was probably not the author's intent.

The plot was interesting e
Suze
Jan 31, 2015 Suze rated it really liked it
Recommended to Suze by: Won from author on Love Bytes blog
I am a bit of a fan of Harper Fox's novels - for one they are set in the UK so the references and placements are familiar, and I always find them a good story.
This is no different, even though it is shorter than some of her other works, it doesn't feel rushed or incomplete.
It is a bit of a triangle of MC's - Lewis is a user and taker, both professionally and emotionally and comes over as a big arsehole. Mitch is still besotted with the idea of Lewis, letting the red mist of his anger cloud his j
UnusualChild{beppy}
synopsis:
mitch is making one last attempt to prove that he is the one with the theories, not his ex, lewis, who stole his research from him. they both arrive at the site of a supposed pictish burial ground and are searching for evidence of it. although lewis has severely wronged him, mitch still loves him and longs for him hopelessly, even though he is now in a relationship with owen, an assistant at the scottish institute. mitch keeps comparing owen and lewis, and even though owen is always the
Heidi Dover
Jul 13, 2015 Heidi Dover rated it really liked it
Shelves: liked
Gah, the writing, the imagery, the feelings. So good, as always. Enjoyed the conflict and setting, had a little eh with how quickly Mitch went from being all about his ex to realizing he loved Owen, but a minor matter. A little supernatural thrown in which was again a little eh but worked overall. A so worthwhile quick read.
Yvonne
This book was heavy on atmosphere, which probably makes it a typical Harper Fox story, and also had a weird supernatural vibe to it. That became my main focus because I wasn't sure where the story was headed with it and I was kind of uneasy with the direction.

The main character Mitch is bitter and angry with his ex who stole and took credit for his research. The problem with Mitch is he takes all his anger out on his new lover Owen, to the point where it feels like he's mentally abusing him. He
Karen
May 25, 2014 Karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
I thoroughly enjoyed this read. Owen was wonderful...perfect, and Mitch was...not. There were times when I could have smacked Mitch--what a pigheaded man he could be.

The song says, "You don't know what you've got till it's gone...", and that held true here as well, but fortunately someone or something was looking out for Mitch and Owen, and they got their HEA anyway.
Gabrielle Morgan
Dec 22, 2012 Gabrielle Morgan rated it really liked it
Absolutely gorgeous. I always tend to be wary of shorter stories and novellas, which is a fault of mine. But so many times they seem to wrap up too quickly, not conveying half of what the author seemed to want them to. In Search of Saints was nothing like that. I lost myself in the story from the first few pages, and came out of it with my heart feeling three sizes too big for my chest. Everything about this was beautiful, and my only complaint was that it wasn't longer...not because it felt lik ...more
Sonja
Apr 06, 2015 Sonja rated it liked it
Short read, but action-packed and with a paranormal element that really drew me in. Owen is your typical overlooked and under-appreciated but absolutely amazing guy, while Mitch is still pining over his jerk of an ex (who thankfully gets what's coming to him). The agony Mitch experienced when Lewis stole his research, and dumped him, is supplanted by an even bigger pain when Mitch finds Owen washed ashore after a storm, seemingly lost along with the stolen work.
Eli Easton
Feb 17, 2013 Eli Easton rated it really liked it
This is a beautifully written novella (about 100 pages on my iPad) that takes place on a dark and misty Scottish island. Unlike most romances, it's not boy-gets-boy, but rather, boy-has-boy-and-doesn't-appreciate-him until-he-gets-his-comeuppance. Even though the unappreciative MC, Mitch, was rather a twit, still lusting after a total jerk, he redeemed himself in the end. I particularly liked the magic and mood of this piece, and the poetic prose.
  • Perfect Day (Wyatt & Graham, #1)
  • Marlowe's Ghost
  • Butterfly Hunter (Butterfly Hunter #1)
  • Dead in L.A. (L.A. Paranormal, #1-2)
  • Dudleytown (Cornwall Novellas, #1)
  • The Starving Years
  • Love Ahead: Expect Delays
Harper Fox is an M/M author with a mission. She’s produced six critically acclaimed novels in a year and is trying to dispel rumours that she has a clone/twin sister locked away in a study in her basement. In fact she simply continues working on what she loves best– creating worlds and stories for the huge cast of lovely gay men queuing up inside her head. She lives in rural Northumberland in nort ...more
More about Harper Fox...