Start by marking “Modest: Men and Women Clothed in the Gospel” as Want to Read:
Modest: Men and Women Clothed in the Gospel

Modest: Men and Women Clothed in the Gospel

Modesty is about freedom, not rules. Does that seem off? What we mean is that what you say or do or wear is not really the point, not ultimately. In a sense, we don't even care what you choose. But we care a lot about why you make the choices you do regarding clothing or speech or behavior. Because what really matters here is your heart. The point of this book is that true ...more
Published August 1st 2012 by Cruciform Press

To ask other readers questions about Modest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Modest

Becky Pliego
I love the principle of this book: start with the gospel (Grace vs Law). It is absolutely important when addressing this issue to keep in mind that legalism and moralism are two dangers that we want to avoid.

I appreciate that this book is written by two Pastors and that they also address it to men.

This book, however, has still some gaps that are not easy to fill. The culture in which we live cannot be the measure of our modesty, neither the context of the situations (not always). It goes beyond
Leandro Guimarães Faria Corcete DUTRA
This is a cheap, short & quite surprising book.

For starters, it is a book more about boys than girls. Even if the subtitle mentions women on a par with men, it is actually targeted more at boys. And that is a good thing; women will be able to apply to themselves the examples given about men.

Now one may ask how women can apply to themselves the men examples, if clothing (and tittilation) is so different between sexes. And that is because this is not a book about clothing rules. It is not abou
Jeanie
Aug 13, 2012 Jeanie rated it really liked it
Modesty is more than I thought it was. It's funny when you look at Modesty thru the lens of the Gospel, there is always more than meets the eye. This short book did just that. Taking the culture, legalism, and any other ism, you see that the Gospel must be centered to have any heart change and impact others for Christ. Because anything we do, it does affect others. I think that gripped me the most. Since modesty can come in many different forms, you can see the affect you have on others. Some of ...more
Sam
Jan 22, 2014 Sam rated it liked it
I've been looking forward to reading this book in preparation for some junior high and high school level teaching on the topic. The book's length and approach seemed very attractive to me.

Pros:
I loved the authors shared approached to address the heart and go to the gospel with modesty. I believe that they are completely right to see the root causes (idolatry) of immodesty and then to connect the reader to the gospel. Truly, the hope of the Cross is the only answer to the twin dangers when appro
Marguerite Harrell
Aug 24, 2012 Marguerite Harrell rated it it was amazing
Wow! This is a great book to read and very different from any kind of Modest book to read. Addressed to both Men and Women. There isn't any a set of rules what not to wear or what to wear in that book. Yet a very challenging book to read and hitting the nail in your motivate and your heart desire. This is Christ-Center and Gospel-Center book. Great book to read.
Craig Hurst
Aug 31, 2012 Craig Hurst rated it really liked it
The idea of modesty for Christians has been predominately cast within the framework of a set of rules about what kind of clothing (mainly for girls) is considered to be appropriate. Whether its shirts below the knees, dresses to the floor or necklines for shirts no lower than the collar bone, the list of do’s and don’ts can be long – really long. But is this kind of list what God intends for us to have and hold others accountable to when it comes to modesty? Where do we get such a list from anyw ...more
Faith
Dec 07, 2012 Faith rated it really liked it
Cruciform Press publishes one kind of book. Cross focused Gospel proclaiming books. And you might at first wonder- How do you write a Cross focused Gospel proclaiming book about Modesty?

Here is how. Modest: Men and Women clothed in the Gospel, by Tim Challies, author, pastor and blogger, and R W Glenn, Pastor of Redeemer Bible Church.
"The foremost reason we’ve written this book is that it’s so easy to talk about modesty (or any other virtue, for that matter) without reference to the gospel" "
Heather
Aug 18, 2012 Heather rated it did not like it
Shelves: christian-living
This book departs from most books and teaching on modesty by emphasizing looking to our culture to discover what is modest. While most may believe that culture plays a role in determining what is modest, I have not seen any other Christian writing that gives culture such a large role and in this I believe it deviates from historic Christian teaching on the subject (though such writings have sometimes mentioned living “according to our place and station”, they have seldom, if ever, given such a g ...more
Dave Jenkins
Aug 28, 2012 Dave Jenkins rated it really liked it
Popular magazines, fashion and television glorify the “modern” woman as dressing in tight or form fitting clothing. The modern “woman” our culture teaches is be dressed in clothes that show off her body, and men are to do the same. In our culture there is a lot of confusion about what modesty is even in the church. Into this culture book authors Tim Challies and RW Glenn wrote Modest Men and Women Clothed in the Gospel to speak to this important issue.

When some read the title Modest they may imm
Ruth
Aug 19, 2012 Ruth rated it really liked it
Den Autoren ist es ein Anliegen, ihr Buch da anzusiedeln, wo Gnade und Tugend ihre Wege kreuzen. Sie wollen die Tugend der Bescheidenheit und des Anstands im Evangelium verwurzelt sehen und nicht in einer moralisierenden Gesetzlichkeit. Auch ist es ihnen wichtig, sie nicht nur zu einem Frauenthema zu machen oder allein auf die Kleidung zu beziehen und eine Liste von Regeln aufzustellen. Sie wollen an die Wurzel des Problems, das wir alle mit Anstand und Bescheidenheit haben. Und als diese Wurzel ...more
Melinda
Nov 22, 2012 Melinda rated it it was amazing
"Modest" is a refreshing study on applying the Gospel to modesty. Instead of laying out legalistic rules or telling the reader that no rules or boundaries apply to modesty, the authors simply discuss what modesty means, how and why we are immodest, and discuss both legalism and Antinomianism. I was overjoyed to finally find a book on modesty that I could recommend because of the balance and truth filling its pages.

The authors state that they wrote this book "...because modesty is a neglected fi
Tim Woody
Mar 25, 2013 Tim Woody rated it liked it
Shelves: practical
"Let's say that we could agree on a one-piece bathing suit as modest...Is this modest? Suppose you said yes. Very well, then, if you're a woman, wear your one-piece to church next Sunday...This illustration brings up one of the most difficult aspects of the subject of modesty- it seems largely like a contextual question."

Tim Challies and R W Glenn take a good crack at modesty in this modest book. They are able to breathe some fresh air into a room filled with misconceptions and misapplied scrip
Brian Collins
Jan 03, 2015 Brian Collins rated it it was ok
This book suffers from false dichotomies. The authors wrongly conflate concrete applications of Scripture with Paul's warning in Colossians to beware of "self-made religion and asceticism." Thus if a father tells his children, "'only this low,' 'at least this long,' 'never in this combination,' and 'never so tight that ______ shows'" he is not necessarily replacing "the gospel . . . with regulations." He may simply be helping his son or daughter apply the Scripture to their lives in a concrete w ...more
Ryan
This is a helpful little book about a subject that I haven't read much about. I like how the author's root modesty in the gospel, meaning it we don't earn any points or gain anything by our modesty or immodesty, that only comes through the cross of Christ and being justified by him. But grace also influences the way we live, making us to be a modest people.

It is a book that is addressed to both men and women (thankfully), and encompasses not just dress, but modesty in speech and behavior. The au
Bob
Feb 04, 2013 Bob rated it it was ok
I liked how the authors framed the issue, I liked their intended approach, and I think they did okay. However in the end it was just okay, I think we make way too much out of peripheral issues. I truly believe that if one is growing in the grace & knowledge of Christ this issue will be resolved. If it remains an issue it has more to do with the heart, in fact it has everything to do with the heart. The book does state that but I still say it was just okay.
Josh
Jul 02, 2014 Josh rated it it was ok
Just ok. I think their definition was too subjective (just as beauty has its objective basis in God so modesty has an objective basis in relation to God). They begin well with a lot of gospel framing, but I think the gospel dry wall is missing. A good working out of how the gospel, and our being clothed in Christ relates to modesty was mostly absent. A good start that petered out and failed to cross the finish line.
Mark A Powell
Sep 13, 2012 Mark A Powell rated it liked it
Modesty is more an issue of the heart than clothing, according to Challies and Glenn. The strength of their argument is their refusal to produce pharisaical lists of what Christians can wear, watch, and so on. While many gravitate to such guides, the legalistic tendency of self-made righteousness inherent in those lists often produces attitudes that can undermine the gospel. Though presented well, the book is very short and could have used a more thorough treatment.
KC McCauley
Nov 20, 2012 KC McCauley rated it it was amazing
This book provides a refreshing perspective on modesty. Instead of looking at a list of rules, it analyzes the desires and intentions of the heart and how immodestly is ultimately rooted in idolatry and adultery. The authors paint a picture of modesty in light of the gospel, which refutes legalism and a license to sin. Also, there is a section on modesty for men, which is very helpful and informative. This book is a must read for a generation of immodest dressing and behavior.
Bob Allen
Jul 18, 2013 Bob Allen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An attempt to give a biblical foundation of modesty without resorting to a legalistic list of dos and don'ts. Reasonably successful. Bases the concept of modesty on the gospel ��for God's honour, not for personal perfection. I felt like they came really close to accommodation of current culture, allowing culture to define standards of modesty.
Amy Lee Ellis
Mar 13, 2013 Amy Lee Ellis rated it liked it
Shelves: christian-living
3.5 stars An interesting read that deals not just with the outward look of modesty, but also with the inward issues of the heart involved. I found it challenging even though I wished there had been more specific guidance. My complete review is at Making a Joyful Home: http://makingajoyfulhome.blogspot.com...
Larry
Mar 31, 2013 Larry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two men provide an excellent analysis of modesty and the purpose that one must seek in serving God. Although I draw some conclusions slightly differently, the analysis and method are very good. The conclusions will help many form guidelines, not rules, for practical living.
Victor Chininin
May 18, 2013 Victor Chininin rated it it was amazing
Finally! A short but not simplistic book on how the gospel affects modesty. It is not all about rules or complete freedom from rules but from whether or not your heart believes the gospel. A helpful corrective to "Modesty issues? Wear longer skirts" ideas of modesty. Very helpful.
Beatrice
Jul 03, 2013 Beatrice rated it really liked it
This little book put the church discussion on modesty back where it belongs - and with no lists.
Brock
Oct 02, 2012 Brock marked it as to-read
3.1B - Spiritual Growth
Kim Adkins
Kim Adkins rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2015
Dru Lattin
Dru Lattin rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2013
Eppie Graham
Eppie Graham rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2016
Leighton Suthers
Leighton Suthers rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2016
Matthew Feldi
Matthew Feldi rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2014
Hannah
Hannah rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

R W Glenn is an author and the Pastor of Preaching and Vision at Redeemer Bible Church in Minnetonka, MN. He has written Drive By Theology, Drive By Church History, and The Biggest Question for Wretched Radio and Television, as well as Crucifying Morality: How the Teaching of Jesus Destroys Religion (Shepherd Press, 2012). His sermons and lectures may be downloaded from Solid Food Media.
More about R.W. Glenn...